register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

zolixiii is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default short rattle when i hit the clutch, again when i hit throttle, only when engine is cold, also, shitty mpg

Hey guys, this is my first post.
I have a mazdaspeed 6, got it a year ago. Everything was changed, vvt, timing chain, injector cleaning and upgraded seals, all oils.
I have this issue for quite a while and cant seem to find what ii is.
It happens only when the engine is fully cold, so once a day at the first start.
A small rattle when i hit the clutch, then after the shift, a small rattle again when i push the gas.
Seems the car is running fine, pulls hard, no hesitation, it persists for almost 10.000km s now and its really annoying. It stops right when the coolant temp indicator hits its normal place, so approx 5-6 mins after start.
Also i have terrible mpg but i dont think its related, i will change the valve cover gaskets next week, see how the spark plugs are doing and also possibly clean the intake valves, any other ideas to improve gas milage?
I dont push it hard especially on low revs, mostly city driving, slowly.
I get 14mpg city, 16 combined, thats pretty damn bad imho...
Thanks in advance, i truly appreciate any help in both cases!
zolixiii is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-07-2017, 11:52 PM   #2

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,998 Times in 1,143 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Flywheel.
If when you stop the car you feel like something is still spinning for half a second there then it's definitely the FW.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-08-2017, 06:30 AM   #3

speed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am going with vvt gone bad
speed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the quick replies, it doesnt feel like something is still spinning after stop and the vvt was changed with the timing chain 10.000kms ago. So probably none of these :/
Its just for a second when i push the clutch then again when i push the gas after changing gears. Clutch seems to be fine, transmission also.

I was hoping someone experienced the same before and found a solution, my friend who does service on it only works with mazdaspeeds for years now and built hos own to 470hp, but he never encountered an issue like mine before :/

Car only has 144.000kms/89500miles

Last edited by zolixiii; 10-08-2017 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Left something out
 Old 10-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #5

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,998 Times in 1,143 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by speed23 View Post
I am going with vvt gone bad
This could explain the shitty MPG though...

Originally Posted by zolixiii View Post
Its just for a second when i push the clutch then again when i push the gas after changing gears. Clutch seems to be fine, transmission also.
Well... this could be caused even by a worn mount.

Originally Posted by zolixiii View Post
I was hoping someone experienced the same before and found a solution, my friend who does service on it only works with mazdaspeeds for years now and built hos own to 470hp, but he never encountered an issue like mine before :/
If an experienced mechanic could not find the issue on site, how would one expect to point you to the root of the issue on a forum based on some symptoms that could have a lot of different causes? Just think about it...
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW

Last edited by mituc; 10-08-2017 at 08:41 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-09-2017, 06:10 AM   #6

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

First question: was this pre-existing or did it start after vvt replacement? If it started after vvt replacement then I think it wasn't timed properly when it was reassembled. vvt usually exhibits its self as a rattle right at start up as part of the symptoms though, which you didn't mention.
The whole gas pedal thing could be tip in from the fuel pump. Generally you'll get a vvtish sound rattle around 2k on very light throttle that instanly goes away with additional throttle or once you are out of the 2-3k range. Clutch part kind of throws me though.

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was kind of thinking about a worn mount as well, but that shouldnt go away straight after the cooling temp hits its good spot.
I was also thinking vvt wasnt reassembled right but how can i decide if it wasnt are there any signs if we split the engine up?
It does it a little on cold start actually but it totally vanishes after the cooling fluid heats up which is quite weird.
Sorry for the dumb thread i know no one is an internet guru that can heal the car, i was actually hoping that someone had the same issue but it seems something is screwed up only with my ride.
Thanks for all the answers any new ideas appreciated!
We’ll look into this closer hopefully this week.