register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #1

MR2Speed will become famous soon enoughMR2Speed will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Terrible gas mileage 210 miles per tank at most!

Okay, I realize when I bought this car it was going to get crappy gas mileage, but not this crappy. After reading about people getting 340 miles per tank and averaging 260 miles per tank, etc.. I'm a little worried that I have something majorly wrong with my car. I can see my needle drop like an anchor, especially when I get to a 1/4 tank.. it's down to nothing within 20 miles.

2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
Fixed cylinder misfire on #1 coil. Water got under the coilpack seal, and caused misfire right after I bought the car.

I drive a lot of stop and go, and short trips (let the car warm up entirely, and shift under 3k everytime recently to try to get better mileage.

35k miles on car/motor
Turbosmart dual port bov
Cobb SRI (checked all hoses, everything tight)
Denso ITV20 plugs gapped to .028
Cleaned MAF two weeks ago with MAF Cleaner
Oil changed
Checked intercooler hoses, all tight, no cracks, etc.
unhooked battery for awhile to reset ECU
Car runs great

The only thing I can figure is that something is dragging my wheels slightly causing an issue. I get this loud rubbing noise, like when something metal catches the treads on a tire at high speed when making a very sharp right turn at high speed. it kicks my car back on that side a bit, and it's not safe at all if I actually really wanted to do spirited driving on back roads. Wheel bearing test seems to pass b/c there is no play left/right, up/down when I grab the tire when jacked up in the air.

But, normal everyday driving, even driving quick w/o making any really sharp rights, you would never know anything is wrong.

or, maybe there is something wrong with my engine now that water got under my #1 coil seal and caused misfire. It wasn't much water, and just the top of the plug (not the threads had this brown/white crud on it) So, it didn't get water in the motor. My CEL light went out about 70 miles after I fixed that.

or, maybe I'm just delusional and it's actually getting the mileage it's supposed to be getting. But, at this point, I almost can't and don't want to afford to drive the car with it getting this poor of mileage. I'm grandma driving it as well.

Anyone have any ideas?
MR2Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #2

daustin is the leader of the worlddaustin is the leader of the worlddaustin is the leader of the worlddaustin is the leader of the worlddaustin is the leader of the worlddaustin is the leader of the worlddaustin is the leader of the worlddaustin is the leader of the worlddaustin is the leader of the worlddaustin is the leader of the worlddaustin is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,148 Times in 1,386 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

/sigh

How old are plugs?

When you accelerate, do you hear turbo whistle? If yes, that's where your gas went.
Atticaz likes this.
2012 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3 - LOLNOPE IT GON
daustin is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #3

SPEEDRAC3R is the leader of the worldSPEEDRAC3R is the leader of the worldSPEEDRAC3R is the leader of the worldSPEEDRAC3R is the leader of the worldSPEEDRAC3R is the leader of the worldSPEEDRAC3R is the leader of the worldSPEEDRAC3R is the leader of the worldSPEEDRAC3R is the leader of the worldSPEEDRAC3R is the leader of the worldSPEEDRAC3R is the leader of the worldSPEEDRAC3R is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What kind of mileage are you seeing? My mileage is incredibly dependent on conditions and how I am driving. I've seen 350 per tank on long steady flat highway drives around 70 MPH, but around town especially if I'm giving it the business a lot, I could need gas after 200 miles. Typically I get 320 per tank, but I'm mostly on the highway at around 80-85 MPH and not in boost.

I do not let my car warm up for more than 30 seconds; I drive easy and stay out of boost until it's hot. Idling to warm up is wasting fuel.

Do you have any way to grab logs? Those would be helpful.
2009 MS3GT - JBR 3.0" Wide Path Full Intake System | CorkSport TMIC |NATOR'd Test Pipe | Autotech HPFP | COBB AP (freek PERM in process) | NGK LTR7IX-11 (6510) | SURE Anchors | Bilstein B8's | 35% Tint
SPEEDRAC3R is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Raider is mah Homie

Easter Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the world
Thanked 14,699 Times in 4,614 Posts
Groans: 2,978
Groaned at 94 Times in 82 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What gas mileage are you getting?

I hugged rfinkle2
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #5

Onelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the world
Groans: 116
Groaned at 13 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i get 220 puttin around town, accelerating hard, having fun. on the highway, cruising around 70-80pmh, i'm up in the 350 mile range. on my trip to FL from VA and back, i averaged over 30mpg. but that drops substantially when i'm driving around town.

Cobb AP (91 RichTune) | CS SRI/TIP | cp-e S2 RMM | SURE Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP/Counterweight | UR TP | UR CBE | AT Internals | Denso ITV22s | 35% tint | Sonic Tuning HIDs | MD OCC | JBR TIGs | TSW Nurburgring 18x8.5+45 245/40/18 v12 evo2
Onelovesoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #6

lilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,690 Times in 3,186 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I avg 260 a tank in the pu work week commute hitting tripple digits at times and I have fun getting in boost daily

tapafuck
JBR SSP/bushings
JBR RMM
JBR tigs/ egr delete/ coolant bypass
JBR stage 2 OCC
CS test pipe
Turbosmart BPV (stocker currently on)
SS lines/super blue/stoptech pads

Originally Posted by silvapain View Post
I've heard that modding MAZDASPEEDs is an STD...
lilred is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, maybe 200 miles per tank is normal then b/c I do a lot of short trips. I only work about 5 miles away.

I need to actually monitor the mileage. I was able to get 220 miles per tank city, mostly babied it. So, what does that translate to.. 18mpg? Have to look up the tank size, and write down the gallons of fuel I put in next time I fill up. I just bought the car.

New plugs, I just replaced the OEM NGK's last week with the Densos. The NGK's may have been the original plugs, and they were gapped around .032.

I cleaned the Cobb filter last week too.

As soon as I get the money, I'm getting the Access Port. So, right now, no logs. I have an appointment to have that rubbing noise looked at. I hope it's just a ball joint, wheel bearing or CV joint, and not anything with the diff that is messed up.. But, that wouldn't surprise me at this point.
 Old 09-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
Raider is mah Homie

Easter Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the worldEaster Bunny is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I too have a 5 mile commute, most of the time i will get to about 240 before the light comes on, has been pretty much the same since i got the car new so if you are in that neighborhood i would say its fine.

I hugged rfinkle2
The Following User Says Thank You to Easter Bunny For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (11-23-2012)
 Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Easter Bunny View Post
I too have a 5 mile commute, most of the time i will get to about 240 before the light comes on, has been pretty much the same since i got the car new so if you are in that neighborhood i would say its fine.

Okay, that' helps. I think I may be able to average that, since I cleaned the MAF and changed the plugs, cleaned filter, etc. .I'll monitor next time I fill up.

Also, I notice the light comes on when there is still 2 ticks or so on the gauge. I ready that there is a 2 gallon reserve? But, is there a way to either fix that dang stock gauge, or get an aftermarket fuel gauge, or fuel sensor to accurately read the correct amount of gas left?
 Old 09-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #10

3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,081 Times in 723 Posts
Groans: 19
Groaned at 32 Times in 24 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah I've noticed that when the light comes on there's still another 2 gallons left.

I get around 25 mpg with mixed city/hwy driving. I don't trust the on-board mpg calculator because it reads better mpgs than what I'm actually getting.

'08 Speed3 - Cobb sri/cp-e rmm/18x8 RX-8 rims (DynoJet @ 254 whp/295 wtq)
'99 Miata - Ground Control coilovers/Bilstein Sports/Racing Beat F&R sway bars/Go Miata strut tower brace/Jackson Racing header/MSM muffler/15x7 Kudo Racing wheels
3Gee Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #11

sick_role is the leader of the worldsick_role is the leader of the worldsick_role is the leader of the worldsick_role is the leader of the worldsick_role is the leader of the worldsick_role is the leader of the worldsick_role is the leader of the worldsick_role is the leader of the worldsick_role is the leader of the worldsick_role is the leader of the worldsick_role is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

24.13 last fillup. some solid romps. Babying this car doesn't improve your mpg for shit, so might as well have fun...because the fun/mpg ratio is much mroe favorable than the babying/mpg ratio.

At least it was for me.
Me2speed3 likes this.

Oh you mean dogs. Yeah I like dogs. I drive a Hyundai.
sick_role is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sick_role For This Useful Post:
Keko (09-27-2012), outshined (10-19-2012)
 Old 09-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #12

himurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,276 Times in 1,868 Posts
Groans: 255
Groaned at 28 Times in 23 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by daustin View Post
/sigh
When you accelerate, do you hear turbo whistle? If yes, that's where your gas went.
That explains a few things ....

Lately I have been getting 14 mpg city and 24 to 26 mpg highway. My tune is a little rich to help with cooling since I am running a Top mount.

Pickles Tune in progress

himurax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #13

doubleflusher has disabled reputation
Thanked 302,953 Times in 13,565 Posts
Groans: 1,443
Groaned at 329 Times in 304 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've gotten over 300 miles miles per tank twice.

Now I get close to 200 per tank.

Beanfab / Tuned by Nishan
doubleflusher is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
Raider is mah Homie

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by doubleflusher View Post

But you live your life a quarter mile at a time!

I hugged rfinkle2
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Easter Bunny For This Useful Post:
3Gee Tee (09-27-2012), doubleflusher (09-27-2012), jamesr242 (09-27-2012), Rainmens (10-17-2012)
 Old 09-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by doubleflusher View Post

yea.. but I assume you had stock whp back when you got 300 to the tank, and now over 500whp, and get 200 per tank. I'm getting 200 per tank with stock power, and driving like a grandma.

I was reading a bit last week about someone doing a gas mileage tune with the Cobb software/access port, and getting much better gas mileage, by leaning it out , etc. .

Car runs really rich like almost all turbo cars do from the factory. I'd imagine if I modify with an access port, and maybe just a cat back exhaust such as the Greddy Tec.. I might see a bit better mpg numbers.
 Old 09-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #16

KusteLokal is the leader of the worldKusteLokal is the leader of the worldKusteLokal is the leader of the worldKusteLokal is the leader of the worldKusteLokal is the leader of the worldKusteLokal is the leader of the worldKusteLokal is the leader of the worldKusteLokal is the leader of the worldKusteLokal is the leader of the worldKusteLokal is the leader of the worldKusteLokal is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,670 Times in 1,347 Posts
Groans: 124
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I average anywhere between 20-24 mpg and i have awd and boost daily.

1995 Miata 1.8
2006 MS6 Sold
KusteLokal is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #17

Phil85 is a name known to allPhil85 is a name known to allPhil85 is a name known to allPhil85 is a name known to allPhil85 is a name known to allPhil85 is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow, either I drive like grandpa or I am lucky by my average fuel econ is 27.5, my commute to and from work is approx 17 miles, and I'm in the worst stop and go traffic ever (Hawaii).

MODS: K&N 69 Series Typhoon intake, Turbosmart high pressure bypass valve, Cobb FMIC, Cobb Boost Solenoid, Cobb 3" CBE, Cobb DP, AutoTech HPFP, Cobb AP (Stage 2), CPe RMM, CPe Driver and Passenger side MM, Corksport OCC, Corksport TIP, carbon fiber vinyls and race stripes, Gauge cluster.

Goals: Enkei RP 03 wheels 19x8.5 +22 offset, BNRS3.
Phil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #18

3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Are you guys basing your mpg on the on-board computer or actually keeping track of gas and miles driven?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'99 Miata - Ground Control coilovers/Bilstein Sports/Racing Beat F&R sway bars/Go Miata strut tower brace/Jackson Racing header/MSM muffler/15x7 Kudo Racing wheels
 Old 09-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #19

Phil85 is a name known to allPhil85 is a name known to allPhil85 is a name known to allPhil85 is a name known to allPhil85 is a name known to allPhil85 is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well I am using my on board computer for that figure, but I usually only fill up about once every 2 weeks, and my commute bout 30 miles a day comes out to 300-350 miles every 2 weeks, not including random trips I make, but I'd say I'm right around 400 miles a tank on average.

I was actually shocked at how much gas mileage I've been getting since I bought it.

MODS: K&N 69 Series Typhoon intake, Turbosmart high pressure bypass valve, Cobb FMIC, Cobb Boost Solenoid, Cobb 3" CBE, Cobb DP, AutoTech HPFP, Cobb AP (Stage 2), CPe RMM, CPe Driver and Passenger side MM, Corksport OCC, Corksport TIP, carbon fiber vinyls and race stripes, Gauge cluster.

Goals: Enkei RP 03 wheels 19x8.5 +22 offset, BNRS3.
Phil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

My computer also stated 27 mpg but in reality I was getting 24-25 so I don't put too much faith in it.

It's a good baseline indicator though and if I ever see it drop drastically below 27 I'll know something is awry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #21

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,632 Times in 3,121 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

See banner in sig...

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nliiitend1 For This Useful Post:
Raider (09-30-2012)
 Old 09-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #22
v8 convert

p057 has disabled reputation
Thanked 2,125 Times in 819 Posts
Groans: 220
Groaned at 70 Times in 50 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm a BT MS6
i'm heavier.

Attached Images
File Type: png mpg.png (398.0 KB, 80 views)
 Old 10-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by p057 View Post
I'm a BT MS6
i'm heavier.

Based on this.. there is something wrong with my car. Anyway, I need a AP before I can drawl more conclusions. I just know my car is running good, and if I baby it I can get a little over 200 miles per tank. If I hammer it .. I bet I get about 100 miles per tank.

But, some other people on this thread are saying 200 per tank is normal.. So, I guess what gives. Even highway vs. city should not be that big of a different. 360 miles per tank is insane.

Is it really the modifications that help with mpg.. Maybe better flow through the exhaust system, and maybe less of the emissions crapola?
 Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #24
v8 convert

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MR2Speed View Post
Based on this.. there is something wrong with my car. Anyway, I need a AP before I can drawl more conclusions. I just know my car is running good, and if I baby it I can get a little over 200 miles per tank. If I hammer it .. I bet I get about 100 miles per tank.

But, some other people on this thread are saying 200 per tank is normal.. So, I guess what gives. Even highway vs. city should not be that big of a different. 360 miles per tank is insane.

Is it really the modifications that help with mpg.. Maybe better flow through the exhaust system, and maybe less of the emissions crapola?
lol. I dunno, i was really surprised with it too. usually i get to 300 miles before i'm at E. This was my best gas mileage run i've ever had with the car since i bought it new in '07.

How many gallons do you fill up with from "E" ? around 13 or less?
 Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #25

Roddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,439 Times in 2,861 Posts
Groans: 279
Groaned at 58 Times in 47 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dafaq man.

I go into boost EVERY SINGLE DAY and I've never had anything below 260 miles on a tank.

At most 330 on a tank coming from orlando at ~80 mph

Bolted + Corn + Meth + ACT 6-Puck

#BakeryTuned
Roddiy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roddiy For This Useful Post:
p057 (10-01-2012)
 Old 10-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #26

silentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,261 Times in 699 Posts
Groans: 44
Groaned at 13 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

what gear are you hamering the acceleration. that a big calculation as well.. you will use more fuel by hitting it in 5th then you would dropping to 4th and slightly accelerating.. this is also depended on what you are doing .. I.e. traffic. if you at a slow cruise and you speed up so slightly, lowe the gear. and cruise up then shift.. your using more fuel in higher gear to account for the load.

i average 24-25 city on my pu.. and thats with wot pulls and what not, cause in traffic i stay in a lower gear. higher rpm with less fuel cause your not demanding it.. mimimal TB plate opening

2013 SPW STi // COBB SRI w/Box // COBB BPV // UR Catless DP// UR CBE // COBB Lowering Springs // COBB Sway Bars // +1 NGK // DW65c FP

AWDTuning Tuned
silentwolf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #27

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

13 or less. I haven't been driving the car as much the last few weeks (work trip, and just staying home/riding my bike, lol). Anyway, I'll check next time I fill up.

?, do you guys coast in gear while coming to a stop sign, or put the car in neutral. I thought I read it's better to coast in gear than to put the car in neutral b/c the ECU dumps fuel when in neutral.
 Old 10-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #28
v8 convert

Not Ranked  0 score     

13 or less. I haven't been driving the car as much the last few weeks (work trip, and just staying home/riding my bike, lol). Anyway, I'll check next time I fill up.

?, do you guys coast in gear while coming to a stop sign, or put the car in neutral. I thought I read it's better to coast in gear than to put the car in neutral b/c the ECU dumps fuel when in neutral.
it's not that it dumps fuel, it just uses fuel to keep it at idle. When coasting, you basically turn the engine into an air compressor. It shuts off the injectors.

I was almost hoping you were going to tell us it only fills up at 9gallons or something, would have been easy to say your car isnt calibrated or that the evap system is over-saturated.
 Old 10-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #29

Amped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 13 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My car has always baffled me with my mileage.

On the highway (road trips) Ill get 30+ (gotten as high as 34). In the city Ill get about 15 on average but I baby it some and boost some. When I just hammer it all I get about 180-200 per tank but I know I need to replace my plugs, they are worn out as shit.

I've never known that the ECU dumps fuel in neutral I guess I should keep it in gear when stopping more often. Don't know how accurate that statement is.

2006 TiGrey MS6 GT
103,xxx and counting

JBR RMM - JBR SSP - JBR Base Bushings - CS SRI/TIP - JBR Weighted Shift Knob - Turbosmart BPV - The Speedline Badgeless Grille - VG Shark Fin - O.Z. 18x8 Black Ultraleggera - Emblem Delete - 6000K Lows/Highs/Fogs - 15% All The Way Around
Amped is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #30

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,138 Times in 1,236 Posts
Groans: 111
Not Ranked  0 score     

Short trips will hurt gas mileage a lot, on any car, anywhere. It doesn't matter how much peak power your car is making, if you have a big turbo or not, if you have an intake or not. Less than 10 miles/trip and/or stop&go traffic is killing your gas mileage and is going to kill your engine too as it never gets up to temp, or right when it does you turn it off for another few hours and leave all those oil vapors clog on everything.

If you constantly do such short trips you may consider switching to some decent 5w30 grade oil if you want better gas mileage (and only that).

Whenever you post your mileage figures always post the average speed indicated by the BC. If the average speed is like 12-15mph then stop thinking about gas mileage and consider getting a smaller displacement lighter car.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PS4 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend Enduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, CP-e TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res&catted TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071r gen2, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI, VCTS Delete, stock ported IM, CorkSport cam shafts
Mahle 88mm 4032 9.6:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, King rod&main bearings, CS seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW to 28PSI, self-tuned to 32PSI

2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7 6 Speed Manual
SU TMIC, Autotech HPFP internals, Cobb XLE, Cobb EBCS, CorkSport 3.5BAR MAP
GTX2867R gen2, stock spark plugs, stock cats and stock exhaust FTW, JBR Tru-3" Silicone intake
TheSpeedLine Top and Lower Strut bars
self-Versatuned to 22PSI
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #31
v8 convert

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Amped View Post
My car has always baffled me with my mileage.

On the highway (road trips) Ill get 30+ (gotten as high as 34). In the city Ill get about 15 on average but I baby it some and boost some. When I just hammer it all I get about 180-200 per tank but I know I need to replace my plugs, they are worn out as shit.

I've never known that the ECU dumps fuel in neutral I guess I should keep it in gear when stopping more often. Don't know how accurate that statement is.
it does not dump fuel.

it tries to maintain idle. essentially the exact same gas as you use when you're idling at a stoplight. Do you consider idling at a stoplight "dumping" fuel?

you'll use less gas coasting in gear than putting in neutral. also saves brakes. There are, however, some nutbags that tell you it puts strain on the car. Their logic makes zero sense, but they'll argue it anyway.
 Old 10-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #32

Amped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the worldAmped is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 13 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

it does not dump fuel.

it tries to maintain idle. essentially the exact same gas as you use when you're idling at a stoplight. Do you consider idling at a stoplight "dumping" fuel?

you'll use less gas coasting in gear than putting in neutral. also saves brakes. There are, however, some nutbags that tell you it puts strain on the car. Their logic makes zero sense, but they'll argue it anyway.
I was just saying dump because that is what someone else said. I've heard these claims before but never really believed they hurt or help gas that significantly.

Sent probably while speeding.

2006 TiGrey MS6 GT
103,xxx and counting

JBR RMM - JBR SSP - JBR Base Bushings - CS SRI/TIP - JBR Weighted Shift Knob - Turbosmart BPV - The Speedline Badgeless Grille - VG Shark Fin - O.Z. 18x8 Black Ultraleggera - Emblem Delete - 6000K Lows/Highs/Fogs - 15% All The Way Around
Amped is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #33

Deldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,323 Posts
Groans: 118
Groaned at 44 Times in 34 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Didnt read everything but OP, i also pretty much drive 5 to 10 miles a day in my speed. if i drive like a grandma and stay out of boost i can get 20 to 22 out of it, but that is no fucking fun, so i drive it pretty aggresivly most of the time, maybe not speeding and such but deffently hitting boost while accelerating, and i will get about 220 to a tank, or 16-18 miles per gallon.

MPG is tough to bitch about its all about how you drive the car, and the only way to get good MPG in these cars is to stay out of the boost, which isnt why anyone bought this car, so suck it up and deal with it

Deldran is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #34

SuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 53 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
Short trips will hurt gas mileage a lot, on any car, anywhere. It doesn't matter how much peak power your car is making, if you have a big turbo or not, if you have an intake or not. Less than 10 miles/trip and/or stop&go traffic is killing your gas mileage and is going to kill your engine too as it never gets up to temp, or right when it does you turn it off for another few hours and leave all those oil vapors clog on everything.

If you constantly do such short trips you may consider switching to some decent 5w30 grade oil if you want better gas mileage (and only that).

Whenever you post your mileage figures always post the average speed indicated by the BC. If the average speed is like 12-15mph then stop thinking about gas mileage and consider getting a smaller displacement lighter car.
I agree and disagree with this. Yes short mileage trips are going to hurt your gas mileage numbers, but it's not going to kill your engine any faster that if you take long trips daily. I work from home now so I've seen my MPG go down slightly since my only "commute" is taking my son to daycare down the street every morning and evening. It's about 3 miles round trip and my car gets to temp before I get there and I always let it idle for 20-30 seconds before shutting it down if I've stayed out of boost. If I've boosted on the way there or back I'll let it idle for a solid 40-60 seconds. That's more than enough time to allow the oil to cool and flow out of the return lines to prevent caking or sludging. As well I only run 5w40 Rotella T6 oil and use Mazda oil filters, as well as having an OCC. I think saying taking short trips means you should look for a different car is a little over the top. If you take care of it properly you'll be fine.

OP- I average 20+ MPG even with my limitied daily driving and almost zero highway with my MS6. There's a few things I always keep up on and that's minimum 3,500 mile oil change intervals, only Rotella 5w40 oil and Mazda filter, check and monitor your tire pressure and even try a little more PSI over the factory specs to see if that helps and also only use quality gas like Shell or Exon, not the cheap stuff without detergents. Where are you located? Do you get 91 or 93? I saw a bump in MPGs once I moved to where 93 was available, so that and elevation above sea level can also make a difference in MPG.
SuperTrooper169 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #35
v8 convert

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169 View Post
It's about 3 miles round trip and my car gets to temp before I get there and I always let it idle for 20-30 seconds before shutting it down if I've stayed out of boost. If I've boosted on the way there or back I'll let it idle for a solid 40-60 seconds. That's more than enough time to allow the oil to cool and flow out of the return lines to prevent caking or sludging.
That's WAY overkill. Our turbos are oil and water cooled. If you weren't in boost, you don't even have to idle it much at all. Even in the little bit of boost that you're in with only 3 miles, i'd just idle it for 15-25 seconds if that. You are NOT going to burn and coke oil with that.

You get the coking when you've been running the turbo hard or after long ass trips where you're giving it a good amount of throttle. at that point, you don't want to just shut off the car. let the turbo cool a little first and you're good.

That would explain why your mileage sucks. 0mpg when idling for a minute or two at your driveway
 Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #36

SuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the worldSuperTrooper169 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

That's WAY overkill. Our turbos are oil and water cooled. If you weren't in boost, you don't even have to idle it at all. Even in the little bit of boost that you're in with only 3 miles, i'd just idle it for 10-15 seconds if that. You are NOT going to burn and coke oil with that.

You get the coking when you've been running the turbo hard or after long ass trips where you're giving it a good amount of throttle. at that point, you don't want to just shut off the car. let the turbo cool a little first and you're good.

That would explain why your mileage sucks. 0mpg when idling for a minute or two at your driveway
I'm not getting sucky mileage, I'm getting great mileage IMO for being an AWD 3,500lb car. What's the factory city MPG rating, like 18? I just said I'm getting 20+ and that's with spirited driving mixed in. Regardless, I feel better letting it idle for a bit longer than suggested that's why I said it's more than enough. Call it piece of mind, I like to know there's zero possibility of oil coking up.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperTrooper169 For This Useful Post:
p057 (10-02-2012)
 Old 10-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #37

ms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,348 Times in 986 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 18 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

im on 25% E, and I fill up around 1/4th tank. I get around 200Miles off the 3/4th if im driving perfectly.. I did go threw half a tank in 86 miles doing some logs tho....

20ish psi, 19*timing, 11.7 AFR, and a very fat foot. I cant get any more then 25mpg on the freeway with E(avg) and like 15 city.

E85(25%) - Stratified DynoJet - 307//357
PowerMods: AccessPort*STRATIFIED*; AutoTech FP internals;Corksport SRI//TIP; CorkSport Test Pipe
Suspension: H&R springs//Sensen Mazda5 struts; TB Performance TractionBar//Trunk Brace
Brakes: CorkSport Pads; Centric Blanks

Other: UltraGaugeEM; JBR 88D Rmm; JBR SSP//Bushings; EGR unplug;CF 3m vinal on trim in side car

Official 60-100mph Times
Official Video battles
Official Youtube Channels

Originally Posted by silvapain
[10:53 AM] silvapain: I grow facial hair faster than Haltech extorts your moniez.

:-( 2014 - Dodge Dart.. (Blue Turtle)
ms3rick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ms3rick For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (11-23-2012)
 Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #38

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,138 Times in 1,236 Posts
Groans: 111
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169 View Post
It's about 3 miles round trip and my car gets to temp before I get there
I think you're mistaking your engine coolant gauge with the actual oil and block temp which you don't have a gauge for (not unless you added it). The engine coolant gets up to temp pretty quickly while the engine oil needs a bit more.

Daily 3 miles round trips equals FAIL for pretty much any G(as) DI engine and for any diesel engine with no exceptions. But probably changing the oil often enough to get rid of the extra soot caught in the oil should be enough.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PS4 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend Enduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, CP-e TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res&catted TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071r gen2, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI, VCTS Delete, stock ported IM, CorkSport cam shafts
Mahle 88mm 4032 9.6:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, King rod&main bearings, CS seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW to 28PSI, self-tuned to 32PSI

2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7 6 Speed Manual
SU TMIC, Autotech HPFP internals, Cobb XLE, Cobb EBCS, CorkSport 3.5BAR MAP
GTX2867R gen2, stock spark plugs, stock cats and stock exhaust FTW, JBR Tru-3" Silicone intake
TheSpeedLine Top and Lower Strut bars
self-Versatuned to 22PSI
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #39

xtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the worldxtasy is the leader of the world
Groans: 98
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just want to throw this in, I was getting 170 a tank on 93 octane 70city/30%highway.
Then i went and check my turbo inlet and everything else, when i did my compression test. I found out my spark plug was loose. I guess it should've torqued it twice, once after driving. Anyways, after tightening it, I was gettin 200 a tank. And I'm quite happy with it.

Chicago streets is just horribly short. On the highway, i can hit 270 a tank easily. Probably 300 if I don't have such a heavy foot
Mazdaspeed6 #10018 TiGrey
Forged Internals, PTE5858.
2015' Freektuned on 93Octane 322/337 (stock top mount and BPV)
2016' Freektuned on e85/93 480/444 (maxed out 3bar map sensor)
2017' Freektuned on e85/93 525/497 (maxed out pte5858 @ 35/36psi & fueling)
Mazda CX-5 AWD Daily
xtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #40

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
I think you're mistaking your engine coolant gauge with the actual oil and block temp which you don't have a gauge for (not unless you added it). The engine coolant gets up to temp pretty quickly while the engine oil needs a bit more.

Daily 3 miles round trips equals FAIL for pretty much any G(as) DI engine and for any diesel engine with no exceptions. But probably changing the oil often enough to get rid of the extra soot caught in the oil should be enough.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man." ~The Dude