register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By danb
  • 1 Post By Fstrnyou
  • 1 Post By Vansquish
  • 1 Post By BN00249
  • 1 Post By Fstrnyou
  • 1 Post By Fstrnyou

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-10-2019, 06:45 AM   #1

PabloAtTheBar is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Weak Boost

Hi All,

I took my '10 MS3 to a mechanic to fix an oil leak problem I had. Since I got it back, the car is no longer providing me with that in-your-seat boost feeling we all know and love. It seems to be struggling.

I have also recently installed the cobb SF intake and turbo inlet hose and tuned it with my APv3. I can clearly hear the air rushing into the turbo.

I have no engine lights, and both the AP and stock boost gauge indicate that the turbo is providing proper PSI.

I took my car to 3 mechanics and they can not tell me whats wrong. One says my K04 is slowly dying.

Any Ideas?
PabloAtTheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #2

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do you really think we may help in any way with the info you give?
Where did the leak was ?

Are you sure the TIH and intake are installed properly ? Have you tried the oem one ?

BTW, if your turbo is building boost and not smoking, there is no way it could be the parts that limit the engine power.

Can you just have a leak if you hear that much the ''turbo''? a leak can make a huge sound...

Data log it and post it here

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #3

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,018 Posts
Groans: 149
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by PabloAtTheBar View Post
Hi All,

I took my '10 MS3 to a mechanic to fix an oil leak problem I had. Since I got it back, the car is no longer providing me with that in-your-seat boost feeling we all know and love. It seems to be struggling.

I have also recently installed the cobb SF intake and turbo inlet hose and tuned it with my APv3. I can clearly hear the air rushing into the turbo.

I have no engine lights, and both the AP and stock boost gauge indicate that the turbo is providing proper PSI.

I took my car to 3 mechanics and they can not tell me whats wrong. One says my K04 is slowly dying.

Any Ideas?
So the car was running properly with the new intake, TIP and tune first? Please confirm this.

Then, a properly running car, hitting boost targets with those mods and tune runs successfully for a while? How long before the oil change?

Then, only after the oil change the drop in power occurs? Was it right away, or how much time went by?

The sequence and time line are important.

Please post a data log from your AP. Single gear, wide open throttle, 3000 rpm to at least 6,000.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10 years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey guys,

I do apologize, I'm very new to this.

The car was fully stock when all this happened. I have contacted the mechanic and am waiting for a reply. He will tell me exactly what work was done, to what components, etc. I know for a fact they fucked with the timing belt and pulley.

As for logging, please bear with me as I am still a complete newb. I will, however get the logs and post them.

In the meantime, the turbo is spooling, I can hear the suction of air. When I replaced the stock intake, I checked to see if the turbine was free wielding, and found no issues on the intake side.

I will keep you guys posted. Thanks!
 Old 06-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #5

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

oh! the oil leak was from the timing cover ? It is chain driven (no timing belt) but it is a special keyless timing system where the usual general mechanic could fail more than once.
The damper need to be removed to get there and once you loosen the bolt, the timing will slip and needs to be timed back. You are supposed to replace friction washers and get a new crank bolt along this job. (IT is like a timing job missing the chain and sproket replacement....)

If he failed at this, your engine could be a sticking time bomb, there is interference between piston and valves....
Read that thread to understand what i'm saying
HOW-TO VVT

I would check engine compression to see if the valves are still sealing properly before going deeper into this...And also check if the timing is still spot-on with the required tools.

Wife drive 2010 CX7

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
 Old 06-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

All,

What specific parameters would be best to log off my accessport that will help troubleshoot my problem?
 Old 06-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #7

danb has much to be proud ofdanb has much to be proud ofdanb has much to be proud ofdanb has much to be proud ofdanb has much to be proud ofdanb has much to be proud ofdanb has much to be proud ofdanb has much to be proud ofdanb has much to be proud ofdanb has much to be proud of
Groans: 12
Not Ranked  0 score     

Mazdaspeed Data log Parameters to monitor, from my tuna

Accelerator pedal position,
AFR
Boost
Boost air temp
Calculated load
HPFP actual
Injector duty cycle %
Intake temp
Intake valve adv
Knock Retard
LTFT
Maf Voltage
Mass Airflow
RPM
STFT
Spark Advance
Throttle Position
Vehicle Speed
WGDC
Jeff23spl likes this.
2007 speed3 GT. cobb rmm, JbR pmm, Corksport adjustable shifter, twm solid shifter bushings, Sure shift knob, AP3, Autotech, CS turbo, CS occ, HTP 3.5, Depo catless dp, TS Kompact bpv, CS 3port, cpe BlockD, GA V3, DO DVC-30, Cx racing piping, tr1035.. Freektuned

2011 mazda 6
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #8

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Honestly, if the mechanic messed with the timing system, I'd stop driving it until you can verify the timing is set correctly.
jc1mcclure likes this.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had another mechanic verify the timing was correct.

I will start logging the parameters mentioned above and post them here once I'm done.
 Old 06-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok guys, its a bit crude but attached are the charts. I started logging while on the highway, let me know if you would rather see logs starting from rest.

Somewhere in the middle I reached almost 6000rpm.
Attached Files
File Type: csv datalog2.csv (395.9 KB, 9 views)
 Old 06-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #11

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Need to see a log in a single gear only, 3rd or 4th, wide open throttle only, from 3,000 rpm to redline. When you make that log, go back and and delete everything that is not that criteria. Don’t need other gears, lower rpm, cruising, part throttle, or anything that is not wide open throttle.

BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
 Old 06-13-2019, 07:18 PM   #12
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,313 Times in 1,859 Posts
Groans: 546
Groaned at 179 Times in 116 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You're running 13.0 AFR at 16psi of boost for a whole 4th gear pull, no bueno. Not sure why there's 0.0 KR for the whole file. You need to make sure you loaded the correct tune for your intake and that you don't have any pre-turbo leaks
The Following User Says Thank You to Pu Manchu For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (06-18-2019)
 Old 06-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #13
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,967 Times in 2,773 Posts
Groans: 1,900
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

Ok guys, its a bit crude but attached are the charts. I started logging while on the highway, let me know if you would rather see logs starting from rest.

Somewhere in the middle I reached almost 6000rpm.
Thanks, like @MSMS3; said though, you really should prune that log down to the relevant WOT portion or portions rather than making us hunt it down.

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
Need to see a log in a single gear only, 3rd or 4th, wide open throttle only, from 3,000 rpm to redline. When you make that log, go back and and delete everything that is not that criteria. Don’t need other gears, lower rpm, cruising, part throttle, or anything that is not wide open throttle.
So...like @PabloAtTheBar; said, he reached almost 6000rpm and went WOT to get there in lines 2400-2679 of the log (4k ish to 5.8k ish). in lines 2400-2679 of the log). That data is definitely enough for me to say that he's running dangerously lean at WOT.

@PabloAtTheBar;, you've either got a substantial vacuum leak (think: somewhere between your MAF housing and the turbo), or you have a tune that is utterly wrong for the modifications on your car. Every time you got near WOT, your car was reporting nearly 13:1 AFR. It should be somewhere between 10:1 to 11.8:1 under those conditions, and no higher. You can see that your car is trying to compensate for part of the time as the Short Term Fuel Trims (STFT) jump to around 25%. That means your car is trying to add 25% more fuel to the mixture to compensate for the additional volume of air that it is measuring at the tailpipe.

Additionally, while you're just cruising around, your long term fuel trims (LTFT) are always positive, and often up around 15%. Again, this suggests that unmetered air is entering your engine, and the ECU is trying to compensate by adding fuel. In other words, like I said above: you appear to have a fairly substantial vacuum leak.

Check all the hoses, check all the clamps, make sure nothing is pinched, sliced, cracked, perforated, or otherwise damaged. Try using soapy water if you need to.
Bertospeed3 likes this.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (06-14-2019)
 Old 06-14-2019, 05:32 AM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

@Pu Manchu & @Vansquish Thank you so much! Again, I apologize for the crudeness of the log.

The tune I am using is the OTS 2010 MAZDASPEED3 USDM STAGE 1 + SF MAP. I have only installed the SF intake and turbo inlet hose, nothing else.

I have scheduled a smoke test with my mechanic. This, I hope, will determine if there are any leaks in the system. I should know by tomorrow.

Also, I'm wondering if my previous oil leak had something to do with this...could it be possible that I have oil clogging the downpipe or cat and exhaust?
 Old 06-14-2019, 06:43 AM   #15

BN00249 has much to be proud ofBN00249 has much to be proud ofBN00249 has much to be proud ofBN00249 has much to be proud ofBN00249 has much to be proud ofBN00249 has much to be proud ofBN00249 has much to be proud ofBN00249 has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

Also, I'm wondering if my previous oil leak had something to do with this...could it be possible that I have oil clogging the downpipe or cat and exhaust?
It's possible. Your airflow appears to be quite low. You should really investigate the lean condition and until you rectify that, dont beat on it.
OTS tunes are really not designed for long term usage. It's more of a 'get it going' type thing. You need a tune properly calibrated to your specific car. Maf sensors are critical on these cars and need to be calibrated for each individual vehicle.
Fstrnyou likes this.
 Old 06-14-2019, 07:27 AM   #16

Not Ranked  0 score     

I have scheduled a smoke test with my mechanic. This, I hope, will determine if there are any leaks in the system. I should know by tomorrow. Also, I'm wondering if my previous oil leak had something to do with this...could it be possible that I have oil clogging the downpipe or cat and exhaust?
You'd better ask for a boost pressure test than a smoke test in general. But for this time, like Vanquish said, it is likely to be between maf and turbo and that one have chances to be seen by smoke. Craked TIH or disconnected from the turbo etc...

But for other parts, sometimes a hole would remain sealed under vacuum and won't show the problem with a car idling....But as soon as you give it pressure, the hole open and leak a lot...This would only be seen if you replace your filter by a home depot boost tester...

Clogged cat won't makes your AFR goes that lean unless your o2 is dead but you would have other problems in that case. You definitely miss some air flow reading by either a larger maf hosing than programmed or a massive leak. Usual ots maf are made for a 2.64'' maf ID (unless noted otherwise), do you have anything larger than 2.75'' ?

Wife drive 2010 CX7

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (06-14-2019)
 Old 06-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #17

gatsby.gt3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
Clogged cat won't makes your AFR goes that lean unless your o2 is dead but you would have other problems in that case. You definitely miss some air flow reading by either a larger maf hosing than programmed or a massive leak. Usual ots maf are made for a 2.64'' maf ID (unless noted otherwise), do you have anything larger than 2.75'' ?
I think I might have a clogged cat. What are the differences between a clogged cat and a vacuum leak between the maf and the turbo in our cars? I have a stock 2007 speed 3 and the turbo has been leaking oil for quite a while now.
gatsby.gt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says NO Thank You to gatsby.gt3 For This Un-useful Post:
Vansquish (06-17-2019)
 Old 06-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #18

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Same difference between an orange and a hotdog.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
Jeff23spl (06-17-2019), Vansquish (06-15-2019)
 Old 06-17-2019, 06:32 AM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by gatsby.gt3 View Post
I think I might have a clogged cat. What are the differences between a clogged cat and a vacuum leak between the maf and the turbo in our cars? I have a stock 2007 speed 3 and the turbo has been leaking oil for quite a while now.
I will try to simplify at the best i can:

Maf reading error = bad AFR
A bit like that : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Q1Rl-aPCs

Clogged cat = AFR ok but no (or very little) boost, no power and cat would glow red.

Wife drive 2010 CX7

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
gatsby.gt3 (06-17-2019), Vansquish (06-17-2019)
 Old 06-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I took the car out and did the 3k rpm to 6k rpm test with the mechanic sitting in the passenger seat. He had his engine diagnostic tablet out, directly connected to the computer. From what he read on the diag, the AFR is where it should be as well as all the other parameters were within range of the vehicle.

We will be performing a pressure test this Wednesday. I will keep you guys in the loop.
 Old 06-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm curious what your mechanic thinks AFRs "should be".
Was the test at part throttle or wide open?
If it was part throttle, AFRs don't mean squat. Fuel trims do.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (06-17-2019)
 Old 06-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wide Open Throttle between 3000rpm and 6000rpm in 4th gear.
 Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #23
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world

Wide Open Throttle between 3000rpm and 6000rpm in 4th gear.
What were the AFRs during the WOT pull?

Old 06-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

He showed me all the parameters that he was monitoring and assured me everything was within MS3 tolerances (I can't exactly recall every single parameter he was monitoring). Short term and long term were complimenting each other

If the air to fuel ratios were out, it would have set off some alarms for sure.
 Old 06-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #25
Police - Grammarhead

He showed me all the parameters that he was monitoring and assured me everything was within MS3 tolerances (I can't exactly recall every single parameter he was monitoring). Short term and long term were complimenting each other

Well, that isn't much use at all. This engine is not like other engines. It needs quite a lot of fuel quite a lot of the time because it is a DI boosted motor with moderately high compression. A lot of naturally aspirated motors like to be in the 12:1 or 13:1 range at WOT. Our motor needs to be in the 10.5:1 to 11.5:1 range at WOT (up to nearly 20% richer, depending on the conditions).

Also, the idea that "short term and long term were complimenting(sic) each other" may not be particularly helpful. The question is whether or not the short term and long term fuel trims were both registering or not during the WOT pull. Moreover, what were the STFT and LTFT values?

You need to take a datalog, video, or something, and actually record the information that your ECU is generating during a 3000-6000rpm WOT pull in a single gear.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #26

gatsby.gt3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
I will try to simplify at the best i can:

Maf reading error = bad AFR
A bit like that : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Q1Rl-aPCs

Clogged cat = AFR ok but no (or very little) boost, no power and cat would glow red.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'll do more research next time, my car is getting old, and it doesn't help that I'm a noob.
gatsby.gt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

Not true...sort of.
Alarms in this case would be a CEL light / DTC code for too rich or lean. This code, or alarm, will not trigger until fuel trims reach +/- 25%...which is insane!

At WOT, you get no such enrichments (depending on model/generation) and you will actually be running rich or lean. 25% rich is bad, 25% lean is boom.

Originally Posted by gatsby.gt3 View Post
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'll do more research next time, my car is getting old, and it doesn't help that I'm a noob.
Cool story bro. Reading (researching) will help everyone. I've done my fair share here, but I won't stop reading.

Next time, make your own thread if you can't find one relevant to your topic...instead of interrupting someone elses.

Merge post
Jeff23spl likes this.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen

Last edited by Vansquish; 06-18-2019 at 06:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (06-18-2019)
 Old 06-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #28

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

All, I did another datalog - 3rd gear 3000rpm to 6000rpm

Nice and clean

Question: how do you determine the AFR with these graphs?
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx 3rd Gear Datalog.xlsx (64.8 KB, 5 views)
 Old 06-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #29
Police - Grammarhead

Nice and clean

Question: how do you determine the AFR with these graphs?
If you use your mouse to move the graphs to the side so that they're not covering the data, then you can see the AFR numbers in column "G". Otherwise, if you want a general sense of your AFRs, you can look at the green line labeled, "AFR" in the second graph.

As I have stated previously, your car is running dangerously lean. Moreover, if your mechanic was viewing the same data and gave you the "all clear," then you need to find a different mechanic who knows this platform.

You can see in the data that for the entire pull from 3001rpm (line 2) to 5920rpm (line 213) your AFR is between 12.64:1 and 14.11:1. At a minimum, based on an ideal 11.5:1 WOT AFR this means your car is receiving at least 9% and as much as 19% less fuel than it should during the pull. Assuming a stock tune, the numbers get even worse. The "ideal" WOT AFR of a stock tune is more like 10.5:1, in which case, your car is receiving between 17% and 26% less fuel than it needs.

Running lean means generating additional heat, friction, and other stresses, as fuel is actually used for cylinder cooling. Your car is not receiving enough fuel for the amount of air that it is taking in. Further evidence of this fact can be seen in column "O" where Short Term Fuel Trims (STFT) are shown. For a large portion of your WOT pull, the car is desperately trying to add between 8.6% and 22% more fuel to the mixture.

You need to find your vacuum leak, or get in touch with an e-tuner who knows these vehicles and can help you with a tune that is customized for the modifications on your car.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (06-18-2019)
 Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #30

Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice and clean

Is the ''nice and clean'' related to the car body? Are you going to part it out when the engine will die ? I ask because members may be in needs of some parts ???

We may start a debate about how much days it will last, before it goes Z-Z-boom?
I give it a try: My cristal ball tell me: Mid of July during a very hot day, a short wot after a traffic jam, a rod will past thru the bloc ?

You wanna see AFR? i prefer to use tables than graph, i deleted them to disclose the numbers behind and it looks very bad...The guy that tells you it is ok has no idea about what he was doing.....Even some n/a engine would send more fuel than that under hard wot...

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 06-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #31

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

@Vansquish Thank yo for the detailed explanation. This puts it all into perspective. Vacuum test is scheduled for tomorrow.
 Old 06-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #32

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
If you use your mouse to move the graphs to the side so that they're not covering the data, then you can see the AFR numbers in column "G". Otherwise, if you want a general sense of your AFRs, you can look at the green line labeled, "AFR" in the second graph.

As I have stated previously, your car is running dangerously lean. Moreover, if your mechanic was viewing the same data and gave you the "all clear," then you need to find a different mechanic who knows this platform.

You can see in the data that for the entire pull from 3001rpm (line 2) to 5920rpm (line 213) your AFR is between 12.64:1 and 14.11:1. At a minimum, based on an ideal 11.5:1 WOT AFR this means your car is receiving at least 9% and as much as 19% less fuel than it should during the pull. Assuming a stock tune, the numbers get even worse. The "ideal" WOT AFR of a stock tune is more like 10.5:1, in which case, your car is receiving between 17% and 26% less fuel than it needs.

Running lean means generating additional heat, friction, and other stresses, as fuel is actually used for cylinder cooling. Your car is not receiving enough fuel for the amount of air that it is taking in. Further evidence of this fact can be seen in column "O" where Short Term Fuel Trims (STFT) are shown. For a large portion of your WOT pull, the car is desperately trying to add between 8.6% and 22% more fuel to the mixture.

You need to find your vacuum leak, or get in touch with an e-tuner who knows these vehicles and can help you with a tune that is customized for the modifications on your car.
That's almost word for word what I said....
Vansquish likes this.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (06-18-2019), Vansquish (06-18-2019)
 Old 06-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #33

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Vacuum test came back ok. We hooked up a mechanical gauge, no leaks were found.
 Old 06-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

Vacuum test came back ok. We hooked up a mechanical gauge, no leaks were found.
You need to figure out why you are so lean under boost. AFR should be dropping, down into the 11's or even 10s to protect the engine.

Do a boost leak test. You need an adapter to connect to your intake in place of your air filter an adjustable boost source (air compressor with a regulator set to around 12-15 psi (no more than 18 for these purposes). That boost source should be activated and then listen for a positive pressure air leak and watch the gauge to see if the system is holding boost or if the gauge is dropping.

That is the way to test for a leak on a turbocharged car - leak under pressure.

Here is what one looks like (except mine has a QD air hose fitting):

https://turboboostleaktesters.com/ma...rbo/#gallery-1

If you mechanic does not have one, you can make one from parts at a hardware store, Home Depot or Lowes.

How-To NATOR A Boost Leak Tester for $15

You also might have a bad purge valve, if the actual leak test comes back negative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151221_194705__85805_1510180263.jpg (126.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by MSMS3; 06-21-2019 at 02:31 PM.