register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums > MSF News And Event Info > Site News & Events > Automotive News

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zatara

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,958 Times in 8,172 Posts
Groans: 243
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Default Study: Should governments be allowed to ban drop-outs from getting licensed? [w/poll]

Filed under: Etc., Government/Legal

Passing your high school courses and passing your driver's license test are two very different things. Though they're independent of each other now, lawmakers in some states are trying to tie the two together. Certain states are examining legislation that would bar high school drop-outs from getting a driver's license.

States including Georgia, Massachusetts, Texas, New York and Michigan, are in favor of these anti-drop measures. The idea behind the proposed laws is that kids would be more likely to stay in school if the privilege of driving an automobile were at stake. Other states, like California, Illinois, Florida and Ohio don't see things the same way. Those against the laws argue that parents are ultimately the ones who should be in charge of revoking driving privileges, not the state.

What say you? Should the drop-outs be banned from driving, or is this a case of the government crossing the line? Sound off in the comments, and be sure to answer the poll below.

View Poll

Should governments be allowed to ban drop-outs from getting licensed? [w/poll] originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 09 Jun 2011 14:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #2

zatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,283 Times in 817 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That's utterly and completely insane. How about states focus on some other things, like not wasting so much money on text books, or focusing more on the kids themselves instead of giving them incentive...like that one District in Texas which gave away a Camaro to kids who had good attendance in a raffle...

Though on the topic of getting a license, America seriously needs to rework how easy it is to get a license. Follow in the steps of some European nations like Finland, or Poland, where you need to learn how to power slide and handle a car on water. Unlike here where you can show up and get a license within a week and then you can drive however you want.

I just hate the vast majority of motorists, and I doubt that'll ever change.
rfinkle2 likes this.
zatara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zatara For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (06-09-2011)
 Old 06-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #3

wankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,537 Times in 2,045 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 19 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

"Hello young man, please proceed to do four right turns, and parallel park behind two orange cones.....................................here's your license, have a nice day."
 Old 06-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #4

StealthWyvern has much to be proud ofStealthWyvern has much to be proud ofStealthWyvern has much to be proud ofStealthWyvern has much to be proud ofStealthWyvern has much to be proud ofStealthWyvern has much to be proud ofStealthWyvern has much to be proud ofStealthWyvern has much to be proud of
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by wankular View Post
"Hello young man, please proceed to do four right turns, and parallel park behind two orange cones.....................................here's your license, have a nice day."
Some arn't even that indepth! Mine didnt even have me parallel park. I think that was mostly due to it being a small hick town.

I dont think they should be tied together but I do think everyone should take a rigerous defensive driving course.
StealthWyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #5

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Thanked 33,217 Times in 10,050 Posts
Groans: 298
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

LOL. The only way this could be seen as rational, is if the lawmakers feel that it will keep some kids in school.

Regardless of its intent, it may be one of the silliest things I've read lawmakers write / try to legislate yet.
rfinkle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #6

wankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,537 Times in 2,045 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 19 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

In my hometown, all the best drivers were the dropouts/rednecks who started driving in the fields at 10 years old and never got passed ninth grade.
 Old 06-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #7

zatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,283 Times in 817 Posts
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I started driving a tractor when I was about Ten. At that age I couldn't even put the thing in gear on my own, even with my full weight on the clutch.

When I went to get my license...Here is a rundown of what the instructor had me do:
Pull out of a spot and drive on
park behind a car with over 300 ft of empty space behind me
perform a K turn
pass a double parked car on a Two way street
pull over and let the instructor out

I was done with the test in literally under Five minutes.
And then everyone wonders why people are such horrible drivers? There is no word in the English language, or any other language for that matter that can describe how much I hate these people...
zatara is offline   Reply With Quote