register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Car Detailing

Car Detailing Wanna show off your hard work? Need help with swirl removal, scratches or general detailing questions? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 04-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #1

Atomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 5
Groaned at 38 Times in 26 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Avoid rust rear fender - MAZDASPEED3

I got rust on my rear fender.

I will repair it with a pro in this domain ... but if I want to avoid rust after this job. What can I modify to help.

I already apply an anti-rust every year (KROWN - one of the best), wash my car every week during summer and every 1 - 2 weeks during winter.

I'm detailling my car every spring and seal it 2 times a year.

I will try to smooth the rear plastic bumper. Maybe with the vibration of it, it rub againt the paint of the rear fender. Changer the rear bolt that hold the bumper with the body to avoid the movement of the rear bumper.

Let see if you have better idea.
 Old 04-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #2

CaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Avoid rust rear fender - MAZDASPEED3

I just paid to have mine fixed. Sand blasted to bare metal and repainted. Some other rust with the bumper mounts and stone chips in other areas were fixed as well. The guy put some clear tape between the bumper and the body panel. He said the vibration causes the issue. I'm hoping the tape will eliminate much of the vibration contact but I'm interested in other solutions as well.
 Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #3

CaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond repute
Neutral  +1 score     

See this is where I had rust repaired. You can see the one side post sandblasting and post painting. You can see below the fuel door was where the bumper rubs on mine. Same on the other side but not quite as bad(had it fixed at the same time though).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9105.jpeg (598.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4451.jpeg (1.51 MB, 102 views)
 Old 04-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #4

Atomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond reputeAtomic41 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Perfect !

I will do the same ... both side at the same time. But when you talk about the clear tape between the bumper and the body ... you can't see it from the outside ... the clear tape is just fitting the larger of the bumper section under the body ???
 Old 04-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #5

Not Ranked  0 score     

The tape is basically between the bumper and the body panel where it is touching which caused the rusting issue in the first place. It's right at the end if the bumper by the wheel well where it was sand blasted.

I'm going to look into getting some more durable 3M film or something. The tape isn't visible unless you look hard since it's cut so it doesn't stick out past the panel.
 Old 03-18-2015, 06:34 PM   #6

Xerxes is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by CaptainCode View Post
See this is where I had rust repaired. You can see the one side post sandblasting and post painting. You can see below the fuel door was where the bumper rubs on mine. Same on the other side but not quite as bad(had it fixed at the same time though).
Where did you get it repaired? I've got rust starting and it's freaking me out. I'm in Brampton, Ontario and don't mind a little drive. As Long as it's done with amazing care and work. Would really like some help. And any idea on how much they charged you?
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-19-2015, 05:18 AM   #7

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Where did you get it repaired? I've got rust starting and it's freaking me out. I'm in Brampton, Ontario and don't mind a little drive. As Long as it's done with amazing care and work. Would really like some help. And any idea on how much they charged you?

I got it repaired in a body shop in London. The guy has been off work for a while though because he tore his rotator cuff. I think any good body shop can fix it though. He charged me $800 which is a lot but it took care of the problem(so far).
 Old 03-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

How your paint job do across the winter season ... does it peel or do you see some rust anywhere ???

Mine already peel and I see rust around all the both rear fender ... and I use 3M tape around all the fender ... it's so bad
 Old 03-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #9

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Atomic41 View Post
How your paint job do across the winter season ... does it peel or do you see some rust anywhere ???

Mine already peel and I see rust around all the both rear fender ... and I use 3M tape around all the fender ... it's so bad

It actually held up fine so far. No bubbling, peeling or anything on the repainted spots.
 Old 03-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do you have 3m tape all around the fender

Envoyé de mon HTC One X
 Old 03-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

Do you have 3m tape all around the fender

Envoyé de mon HTC One X

Not the whole fender but I do have some tape between the parts where the fender and bumper touch

I got it done before there was a lot of rust. It was just starting to be visible through the paint. So maybe it wasn't too bad to the point where it'll come back quickly.

Last edited by CaptainCode; 03-22-2015 at 06:52 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
CaptainCode is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-23-2015, 05:34 AM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

What is the best technique to repair my rear fender (product, step, finalisation)

Because I need to repair again my rear fender and I really want the best method to solve this problem for a long run. We got rough winter here with salt, rock, ice, snow, -35C and sometimes +5C during the same week in winter ...

So if somebody work in a body shop and know something in this world can you help me with your knowledge please.

Thanks

Last edited by Atomic41; 03-23-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Atomic41 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #13

Tommy_y0 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_y0 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_y0 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_y0 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_y0 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_y0 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_y0 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_y0 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_y0 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_y0 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_y0 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm curious to hear back on this as well. I'm in Minnesota and this is most definitely an issue for me. My back left drivers door is beginning to bubble underneath and I will be needing to get it repaired this coming summer.
Tommy_y0 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #14

aviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the worldaviator79 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,695 Times in 1,061 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

MS6 has same issue where the bumper rubs the fender. I tried to use paint bens to fix where paint had rubbed off but it looks like it didn't hold up so I sprayed with LPS3.
MS6 - BNRs3 - Cobb AP - JBR Tru-3.0 - Spearco FMIC - MAC EBCS - Synapse BOV - DNP - CPE DP->MF - SU RRM - TTFMM - TT + CPE Diff Mounts - Mrlilguy HPFP - Projector HID fogs - TSX projector retrofit - LI jammers - Advan RZs w/ 245 PSSs - Koni - WL RSB
aviator79 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #15

furinax is just really nicefurinax is just really nicefurinax is just really nicefurinax is just really nicefurinax is just really nice
Groaned at 7 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Anyone ever try the rust dissolver/neutralizers? I bought some but have not yet applied it to the car. I figure it would be worth to try after the winter.
 Old 12-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #16

Balthazar is the leader of the worldBalthazar is the leader of the worldBalthazar is the leader of the worldBalthazar is the leader of the worldBalthazar is the leader of the worldBalthazar is the leader of the worldBalthazar is the leader of the worldBalthazar is the leader of the worldBalthazar is the leader of the worldBalthazar is the leader of the worldBalthazar is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

They sort of work if you let a part soak in it. But just spraying it on a rusted panel or seam won't do squat. Take it from me on these cars, once you have rust bubbles get it repaired quick and well if you care about the look of the car in 2 years.
Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-24-2017, 05:18 AM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not the whole fender but I do have some tape between the parts where the fender and bumper touch

I got it done before there was a lot of rust. It was just starting to be visible through the paint. So maybe it wasn't too bad to the point where it'll come back quickly.
What the job look like now after a few years ??? is it perfect again

Thanks for your feedback
 Old 01-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Someone try POR-15 in their rear fender to avoid to coming back again !?!?!
 Old 01-24-2017, 08:06 AM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

What the job look like now after a few years ??? is it perfect again

Thanks for your feedback

No actually it's coming back again. The paint is starting to bubble now on both sides where it was originally starting to rust before. Not going to fix it again because there is some worse rust on the fender in front of the rear wheel and it's starting to deform the metal. So it got me a couple of years but that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 Old 01-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #20

MikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant future
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Someone try POR-15 in their rear fender to avoid to coming back again !?!?!
I POR'd my undercarriage last year, and re apply every 6 months where needed. Absolutely zero rot, just some surface rust here and there
CS Short Throw-Whiteline Bushings-CS Rear Bar
1968 Mustang
Built 289 w/ factory heads
Built C4
Bulit 8" posi
Runs low 14's at 100 flat
MikeBavaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

No actually it's coming back again. The paint is starting to bubble now on both sides where it was originally starting to rust before. Not going to fix it again because there is some worse rust on the fender in front of the rear wheel and it's starting to deform the metal. So it got me a couple of years but that's all.

What will you do with this rust ... change car or try another technique to remove it ???

Last edited by Atomic41; 01-28-2017 at 05:37 AM.
Atomic41 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-28-2017, 06:09 AM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Can I go with these if I want to cut my oem rusty rear fender and install fresh new one

Here the part number :

VARIOUS MFR RRP3762
VARIOUS MFR RRP3761

More Information for VARIOUS MFR RRP3762
More Information for VARIOUS MFR RRP3761

Thanks for your help
 Old 01-28-2017, 06:40 AM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

What will you do with this rust ... change car or try another technique to remove it ???

Just going to leave it. Too much cost to cut out the metal and weld in new plus paint again

Old 01-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Can I go with these if I want to cut my oem rusty rear fender and install fresh new one

Here the part number :

VARIOUS MFR RRP3762
VARIOUS MFR RRP3761

More Information for VARIOUS MFR RRP3762
More Information for VARIOUS MFR RRP3761

Thanks for your help
Somebody can help me with this ...

Envoyé de mon HTC One M9
 Old 05-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Using a good level PPG ceramiclear on rear fender to avoid damage to it and final avoid rust do you think it could be a good idea ???
 Old 05-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #26

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Or maybe line x for the under part ... it seem a really Good product to avoid rock chip ... what you Think ???
 Old 05-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #27

stockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 68
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have painted cars on a professional level and the design of our bumpers fucking sucks. Plus, rust protection seems to be shit on mazdas.

I have an 05 mazda 3 and an 07 speed3. Where 3 is already rusted, the speed3 is starting to show rust in exactly same spots. Poor design, lack of paint in certain areas, cracked caulking.

Since speed3 is built and I don't drive it in the winter, I am going to wait till the rust gets bad then get a Texas/Vegas shell. I might be able to pick up a shell for $1k. I could cut the quarters and fix em myself but it is just a band aid.

You could slow down rust with POR-15. However to be honest, one would have to strip the whole suspension, clear all the rust mechanically, spray everything with acid to neutralize the remaining rust and then spray the whole thing with a good quality epoxy primer. Also, at that time you would fix any through rust by welding metal in. It is a shit load of work that I don't think I would do on a econobox.
2007 TR MazdaSpeed3:Autotech FP inernals, Cobb AP, Toyota Injector Seals, FR stud mod, FMIC, Fidanza flywheel/stock clutch, Forge BPV, CorkSport Stage 2 RMM, COBB SRI/PG Inlet pipe, Wiseco .20 Pistons/Manley Rods/BSD, DM/ebay catch cans, Koni Yellows/H&R springs, FD wheels, eBay downpipe, CNT catback

Soon to come: CS turbo, TR8 front mount, JBR 3" intake, EBCS, and maybe a clutch.

2005 Mazda 3 SP23: mod include rusty quarter panels and grinding 3rd gear. It does have a fusion motor, so I guess that's a mod too.
stockms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #28

greg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond reputegreg08 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 3
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by furinax View Post
Anyone ever try the rust dissolver/neutralizers? I bought some but have not yet applied it to the car. I figure it would be worth to try after the winter.

I've used it and I have 0 rust on my speed 6 ,and I've been in NJ and upstate NY the whole 10 years I've driven it. I use neutralizer and then rust prevention
greg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says NO Thank You to greg08 For This Un-useful Post:
rymanmazda (04-14-2018)