register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection

Notices

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection Have a CDFP fuel pump question? Do you want to add Nitrous or Water Injection to your Mazdaspeed 3/6 ? Please come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Black Metal

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #1

SpeedCheese is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedCheese is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedCheese is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedCheese is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedCheese is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedCheese is a glorious beacon of light
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default benefit of running higher octane on a 91 map

Someone at my local auto parts store told me yesterday that running higher octane gas will give a notable improvement in power, even without tuning for it. I was under the impression that, unless you're getting knock, running higher octane doesn't make any difference. In order to get the benefits of, say, 101 fuel at the track, you have to tune for it (i.e. adjust timing).

Will running 101 (unleaded of course) on my 91 octane map give me improved performance. I've got very little knock even at WOT with my tune.
Liquid Pt Metallic MS6: Cobb SFI & TIP / CP-e DP with high-flow cat / CP-e RMM / CP-e RDM / ETS CBE / Turbo Smart dual-port BOV-BPV / Cobb AP (self-tuned) / Konig Milligrams (18x8.5) / BFG G-force SuperSport A/S 235/40s / Denzo Iridium plugs (ITV 22) / G2 painted calipers / Power Slot rotors / Hawk HPS brake pads / VG sharkfin / LED interior and fog lights / TWM Stage 1 SS + bushings / BC coilovers / SPC ball joints / CS TMIC / Autotech CDFP internals / Whiteline RSB
SpeedCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #2

Pendarus is the leader of the worldPendarus is the leader of the worldPendarus is the leader of the worldPendarus is the leader of the worldPendarus is the leader of the worldPendarus is the leader of the worldPendarus is the leader of the worldPendarus is the leader of the worldPendarus is the leader of the worldPendarus is the leader of the worldPendarus is the leader of the world
Groans: 52
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Unless you tune for it there's no point in going over 91 octane (on a stock or 91 octane map). Only reason for going higher octane is for using a more aggressive tune without getting knock. If you're not getting knock on 91 octane you're not going to get it on 101. Your ECU will adjust to combat knock, but it isn't going to go "oh man...higher octane...better up the powa on this bish" without you telling it to.
Pendarus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pendarus For This Useful Post:
ak_spray (04-14-2012), AZSPEED3 (03-29-2012), MSFer87 (03-29-2012), phate (03-29-2012), Pseud0logik (03-29-2012)
 Old 03-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #3

SpeedCheese is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedCheese is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedCheese is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedCheese is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedCheese is a glorious beacon of lightSpeedCheese is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

That's what I thought, and what I told the guy. He was so adamant I 2nd guessed.
Liquid Pt Metallic MS6: Cobb SFI & TIP / CP-e DP with high-flow cat / CP-e RMM / CP-e RDM / ETS CBE / Turbo Smart dual-port BOV-BPV / Cobb AP (self-tuned) / Konig Milligrams (18x8.5) / BFG G-force SuperSport A/S 235/40s / Denzo Iridium plugs (ITV 22) / G2 painted calipers / Power Slot rotors / Hawk HPS brake pads / VG sharkfin / LED interior and fog lights / TWM Stage 1 SS + bushings / BC coilovers / SPC ball joints / CS TMIC / Autotech CDFP internals / Whiteline RSB
 Old 03-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #4

MSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the world
Groans: 83
Groaned at 55 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah unless you are planning on running a spiceytune by Cobb then running any higher octane then needed is unnecessary, and is a waste of money.
-#1 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 GT Black Mica - BBS RX in Dark Gray, KW V2s, SPC Camber Arms, Cobb AccessPORT w/ JBR mount, Full-Race Prostock Mani, TurboXS FMIC, Grimmspeed EBC, ACT 6 puck & flywheel, TWM STS, PTP Internals, Cobb SRI w/ TIP, Cobb Shift Weight, TurboXS BPV, TurboXS Full TBE, JBR Trilogy, JBR RSB, Cobb FSB...........needs bigger turbo

-1970 Chevelle - Needs full resto
MSFer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #5

Black Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the worldBlack Metal is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,306 Times in 422 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Higher octane fuels are actually harder to ignite. You can see a decrease in performance by running an octane higher than you're tuned for. Parts store guy doesn't know what he was talking about.
Blackrider likes this.
- GS EBCS - H&R Springs - Sure TIG's - PNP'D Intake Manifold - EGR Delete -

12.89 @ 104.9 1.82 60' 4500' ASL on K04 20 PSI E30
12.01 @ 113.9 1.80 60' 4500' ASL on 3071 22 PSI E20

- 2004 Silver Sunlight Metallic RX-8 -
- 6MT - Stock -
Black Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Metal For This Useful Post:
Blackrider (04-10-2012)
 Old 03-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #6

TWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,042 Times in 1,584 Posts
Groans: 125
Groaned at 84 Times in 50 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

thats why you never listen to an auto store employee. you go in for brake lines and they give you heater hose and say itll be fine

also, i was at a dyno day once with a bunch of supras and one kid wanted to be cool and have crazy numbers with race gas. he dynoed on pump and then filled with race gas and his numbers dropped like crazy lol...we laughed at him
TWOptSL0W is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
Banned

tunerlover is a splendid one to beholdtunerlover is a splendid one to beholdtunerlover is a splendid one to beholdtunerlover is a splendid one to beholdtunerlover is a splendid one to beholdtunerlover is a splendid one to beholdtunerlover is a splendid one to behold
Groaned at 30 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

putting higher octane without a tune will hurt performance.(unless you are knocking pretty bad)
101 will run richer and that can cause knock as well.
To take advantage of race gas you need leaner afrs and advanced timing.
tunerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, thanks for all of the input, peoples. The highest octane pump gas I can regularly get is 91. Do any of your reccommend an additive to reliably boost octane so I could reliably dial in one of the Cobb OTS 93 maps? Related; Would it be reasonable to try to tune for 93 with gas+additive that may be 94 to 96 or something? Just as long as it is over 93 and not a lot higher?
 Old 04-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #9

p057 has disabled reputation
Thanked 2,083 Times in 802 Posts
Groans: 217
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SpeedCheese View Post
Ok, thanks for all of the input, peoples. The highest octane pump gas I can regularly get is 91. Do any of your reccommend an additive to reliably boost octane so I could reliably dial in one of the Cobb OTS 93 maps? Related; Would it be reasonable to try to tune for 93 with gas+additive that may be 94 to 96 or something? Just as long as it is over 93 and not a lot higher?
e85. dont bother with additives.
p057 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p057 For This Useful Post:
Pseud0logik (04-10-2012)
 Old 04-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #10

bigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,079 Times in 494 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

In the long run it would be better to get a custom tune for the 91 octane. Performance will be much better than any ots map.
 Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #11

x09MS3GT is the leader of the worldx09MS3GT is the leader of the worldx09MS3GT is the leader of the worldx09MS3GT is the leader of the worldx09MS3GT is the leader of the worldx09MS3GT is the leader of the worldx09MS3GT is the leader of the worldx09MS3GT is the leader of the worldx09MS3GT is the leader of the worldx09MS3GT is the leader of the worldx09MS3GT is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 92 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Unless of course, your in teh same boat i am, and the only octane available from any pump in your entire STATE is 90.....

I wait until i get a gas light, then i fill. Roughly every 2 weeks, daily driven and all.
I fill my car with 4 gallons of Sunoco Super GT Plus 104 unleaded, and then usually squeeze in about 8 to 9 gallons of pump Shell 90.

That combo right there allows me to run a Stage 1 93 octane map without any KR what-so-ever. Still experimenting on a bit of timing advancement, and so far 2 degree's past OTS and no knock yet.

Reason i run the 93 is mainly because, no one else here bothered to mention , another downfall of running a higher octane than tuned for, you start to get really high EGT's.
So yea, running the 93 map seems to work for me like a champ.
--COBB SRI--COBB TIP--COBB SF AIRBOX--COBB V2 FMIC--COBB XLE-BPV--COBB DP--COBB CB-E--COBB V3 AP--COBB RMM--COBB KNOB--COBB SHIFTER WEIGHT--NGK 6510's--Autotech Internals--H&R Springs--Bilstein B8's--CpE Triple Gauge Cluster w/ Prosport E-Boost Gauge + Prosport 4.9 Wide-band AF/R Gauge
--E85 FREEKTuned --
x09MS3GT is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,962 Times in 6,559 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Every car is different and after tuning 60+ speeds 91 octane in one area is the not the same as another. Sooo ... if you have KR you want to either get higher octane or to change the tune if it's not available.

We Engineer, and that's better than just tuning!

www.stratifiedauto.com
COBB AP and VersaTuner Custom Tuning. Guardian Angel Protection and Boost Control.
Lex is online now   Reply With Quote