register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection Have a CDFP fuel pump question? Do you want to add Nitrous or Water Injection to your Mazdaspeed 3/6 ? Please come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree7Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
Trail of Fail

Dano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,250 Times in 6,532 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default CDFP Pump Failures

so this is a long story and maybe I am making more of this than it really is.

Short story:

PTP pump ran for ~20K miles and then started to fail with WOT pressure drops to 200,400 etc.
Ordered CPE pump and installed it about 4 months ago.
Problem immediately disappeared and car has run great since
now CPE pump is failing with WOT pressure drops like before. Prab 5K miles on CPE pump.

Long story:

So I sent my PTP pump back to John and after he took a look at it he called me and indicated there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the pump. He said the internals looked like a brand new set he would install in a new pump and send out. I told him I didn't have an answer but only had the log I sent him showing the momentary drops in pressure.

I suggested maybe it was the spill valve but he didn't think the symptoms fit. You can see in the logs the pressure drop is only for a split second and it immediately gets back to full pressure. IIRC he said with a spill valve failure it would take time for the pressure to build back up. I then asked about the RV and he said the same thing, time would be required to rebuild the pressure.

Anyway he didn't have an answer but said he would send me a new pump along with my old internals so I could inspect them.

Fastforward 4 months and now my CPE pump is doing the exact same thing.

Is this just a coincidence that both pumps failed and consider this:

The PTP pump didn't show any signs of piston wear.
The CPE pump only had 5K miles on it and they very rarely fail.

Other notes of interest:

PTP pump was run on 93 petrol only
The CPE pump was run mostly on petrol except for the last ~900 miles which has been run on an E25-30 mix. I doubt the E has anything to do with the failure.

Soooooooo, to the fuel experts out there, any ideas why this would happen and it would appear to be something with the pump or related hardware b/c when the pump is replaced the problem goes away.

Could some other hardware in the system cause the pumps to work harder than normal and cause them to fail, such as ITFP or RV issues?

I have the new PTP pump sitting here and am about to install it today and will report back with my findings. I have to believe replacing the pump will resolve the issue.

The areas in question are highlighted in the attached logs.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attached Files
File Type: xls PTP-datalog3.xls (21.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: xls CPE-Stutter-blowout-1.xls (34.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: xls CPE-Stutter-blowout-2.xls (34.5 KB, 19 views)

07 Red MS3 GT - E40 - Carrillo Rods - Wiseco Pistons - BSD - JBR 3.5 WidePath - ATP GTX3071 - Forge BPV - GA - Cobb v2 FMIC - CPE EM - CPE DP - CNT CBE - APv3 - Grim EBC - PERM dual port PCV plate - Dano dual OCC - CPE CDFP - Labonte S2 WMI - ACT Street Kit - SUv2 RMM - SU TM - "Stiffy" MM - DG CF wing ext, skirts & front lip - Hotchkis RSB/FSB w PowerGrid Links - Koni FSDs - DBA SX4000 Rotors - Hawk Pads - Silver OZ Ultraleggera - 235/40/18 NT-01
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dano For This Useful Post:
Broxer (10-02-2011), Ckmazdaspeed3 (10-02-2011), djuosnteisn (10-03-2011), kmac (10-02-2011), Todd98SE (10-05-2012)
 Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #2

helmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,188 Posts
Groans: 219
Groaned at 70 Times in 52 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you use gloves!?!

I keed Dano, good luck with this strange, strange issue.
 Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Trail of Fail

Dano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

nitrite always LOL

07 Red MS3 GT - E40 - Carrillo Rods - Wiseco Pistons - BSD - JBR 3.5 WidePath - ATP GTX3071 - Forge BPV - GA - Cobb v2 FMIC - CPE EM - CPE DP - CNT CBE - APv3 - Grim EBC - PERM dual port PCV plate - Dano dual OCC - CPE CDFP - Labonte S2 WMI - ACT Street Kit - SUv2 RMM - SU TM - "Stiffy" MM - DG CF wing ext, skirts & front lip - Hotchkis RSB/FSB w PowerGrid Links - Koni FSDs - DBA SX4000 Rotors - Hawk Pads - Silver OZ Ultraleggera - 235/40/18 NT-01
 Old 10-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
[MSF STIG]

FORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,920 Times in 739 Posts
Groans: 15
Groaned at 23 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

IMO, the problem is with the fuel rail pressure sensor, not the actual pressure...

`11 Ducati 1198SP SBK Duc Red w/Termi exh; Redline flash-tune + PC-5; Sargent; Shift-tech, CDT, & EVR Carbon; 14F/39R gear w/FBF QC; Speedymoto; R&G; ProGrip; Custom LED; Antigravity; Ducabike; Duc Perf, etc... a 182whp/105wtq The BIG DOG

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Hyper Duc CORSE w/Termi exh; Redline flash-tune + PC-5; Ducshop Hyperstacks; 14F/41R gear w/FBF QC; Shift-tech, CDT, & BST(wheels) Carbon; R&G; ProGrip; Antigravity; Ducabike; Duc Perf, etc... a 95whp/75wtq The Hooligan

`12 Aprilia RSV4 "Factory" SBK w/Akra Tit exh & race map; 15/42 gear; R&G; ProGrip; Gilles; CompWerkes; LightWerkes; Lightech; LSL Pegs; Antigravity; Zero Gravity; AF1 Flat Carbon, etc... the 181whp/83wtq The Land Rocket

`17 Ford Focus RS Nitrous Blue w/Cobb V3/AT; OZ Ultraleggera; Schroth harness The Super Fun Toy
FORZDA 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FORZDA 1 For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011), daztdMS6 (10-02-2011), Erich (10-02-2011), kmac (10-02-2011), Ms3_Miami (11-26-2011), SpeedSixxx (10-02-2011), tddvrrn (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
CCC

CCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the world
Groans: 214
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but good luck I am having a ton of fuel pressure/pump issues myself so I can feel your pain. Look forward to seeing your findings today.

2010 Speed 3 - Sold
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by FORZDA 1 View Post
IMO, the problem is with the fuel rail pressure sensor, not the actual pressure...
car stutters, misfires etc during the pressure drop...it appears to be starved for fuel.

both times it started out as an occasional stutter so I thought it was blowout...then it progressively got worse over the course of say a month....now I can't even go WOT without the car falling apart.

so if the sensor is having issues will it tell the ECU to stop fueling?

and why would replacing the pump resolve the issue for a period of months?

thanks

BTW congrats on the Ducati...I would love to have a streetfighter...but I aint that rich...LOL

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dano For This Useful Post:
FORZDA 1 (10-02-2011), kmac (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #7

Ziggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the world
Thanked 10,246 Times in 2,732 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 16 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

One of the logs is titled "blowout", are you actually experiencing blowout or is the only symptom the log?

I would also try to minimize the # of parameters to see if you can catch more than one line.

Zigatapatalka
BC Coilovers (-2.5º F, -1º R) \ Saitek Front Endlinks \ SPC Rear Camber Arms \ Hotchkis FSB & RSB
JBR 88 Duro RMM TMM PMM \ COBB AP (Self Tuned) \ EGT \ Oil Pres \ Oil Temp \ DashHawk
Ziggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I thought it was blowout at first b/c it would only stutter once or twice during a run and this time around I added H2O in my WMI and was running more boost and E85.

turns out its is the pump I would guess at this point.

I may just take the spillvalve/solenoid assembly from the PTP pump and install in the CPE pump and see if the issue is resolved.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #9

SpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,659 Times in 1,398 Posts
Groans: 778
Groaned at 444 Times in 240 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by FORZDA 1 View Post
while this makes sense you have to thinkof other things that may play into the effects.

if indeed it is the pressure sensor and the car is still getting the correct fuel pressure it could be that our retarded ecu's may be doing something to correct the issue or protect your motor from the issue.

you check the actual housing?....

then again, if it is the sensor and not the pump then why would his car be temp fixed after installing new pump?

this is indeed an odd issue....

good luck

SpeedSixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SpeedSixxx For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

indeed odd.

I didn't get the first housing back from John...but anyway my pump from CPE is a totally different pump experiencing the exact same issue. IDK

Old 10-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Must Have Teh 10's!

superskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,014 Times in 5,264 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 138 Times in 95 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Its 100% your intank pump. Jumpingjackson just went through this exact issue
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Black Mica #4126
KILLAH Built/SPEED PERF6RMANC3 (SP) 10.6:1 Pistons ~ SP 11mm H11 Head Studs ~ K1 rods ~ SP CNC Head Work ~ Crower 65lb Valve Springs ~ Fully Keyed/Pinned Motor ~ GTX35R w/Tial .82AR Hotside ~ JMF IM w/1000cc PI Injectors ~ SP 75mm TB ~ SP In-Tank FP w/Dual DW300's ~ AEM FPR ~ SP Custom PI Fuel kit ~ CPE 4" MAF ~ CPE SAFEseals ~ TR1035 FMIC ~ CPE Atmosphere DP/Ex Manifold/Oil/Water Lines ~ Tial MV-R EWG VTA'd ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ CPE BT TIP ~ CPE RMM ~ JBR TMM ~ JBR PMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ Sonic Tuning CO's ~ LED Tails ~ Sonic Tuning HID's ~ Whiteline RSB ~ ACT 6 Puck w/unicorn dust
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
Certified RichTune E-Tuner
superskaterxes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to superskaterxes For This Useful Post:
Ckmazdaspeed3 (10-02-2011), Dano (10-02-2011), Erich (10-02-2011), kmac (10-02-2011), phate (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #12

Ziggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

The stutter could be over fueling as well if you subscribe to "it's the sensor" theory. I think it is not the sensor simply because then pump swap fixed the issue before.

In the "its the sensor" theory, Car sees low fuel pressure, so it extends the pulsewidth causing over-fueling and spark blowout.

It's not impossible for it to be a spill valve issue. Rail pressure will change very fast because it's an incompressible fluid. Just a couple missed cycles on the fuel pump due to the spill valve not opening could be enough to cause the drops you see, followed right away by a couple full strokes on a upgraded pump with plenty of excess capacity could restore the pressure very quickly.

At 6000rpm the HPFP is executing 150 cycles a second. Even with our improved logging rate, if the spill valve is intermittently sticking we don't have enough resolution to really diagnose it. If we were logging at a similar rate of 150hz then you could say for sure it's not the spill valve starting to stick.

Zigatapatalka
BC Coilovers (-2.5º F, -1º R) \ Saitek Front Endlinks \ SPC Rear Camber Arms \ Hotchkis FSB & RSB
JBR 88 Duro RMM TMM PMM \ COBB AP (Self Tuned) \ EGT \ Oil Pres \ Oil Temp \ DashHawk
The Following User Says Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #13

jonspeed3 is the leader of the worldjonspeed3 is the leader of the worldjonspeed3 is the leader of the worldjonspeed3 is the leader of the worldjonspeed3 is the leader of the worldjonspeed3 is the leader of the worldjonspeed3 is the leader of the worldjonspeed3 is the leader of the worldjonspeed3 is the leader of the worldjonspeed3 is the leader of the worldjonspeed3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,314 Times in 493 Posts
Groans: 58
Groaned at 134 Times in 68 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Intank pump?
Idk noob contribution.
Jbauerqsft likes this.
Missing home... Florida

jonspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonspeed3 For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #14

Mchart is the leader of the worldMchart is the leader of the worldMchart is the leader of the worldMchart is the leader of the worldMchart is the leader of the worldMchart is the leader of the worldMchart is the leader of the worldMchart is the leader of the worldMchart is the leader of the worldMchart is the leader of the worldMchart is the leader of the world
Groans: 54
Groaned at 42 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

How does your cam and cam follower look?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mchart For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #15

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by superskaterxes View Post
Thread? I am always interested in learning more failure modes.

Theory says ITFP failures would show up\get worse at peak power, this seems almost random.

Zigatapatalka
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011), Ms3_Miami (11-26-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #16
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

ok..i'll bite on that and have already discussed it with Dustin.

Are you saying the ITFP flaking out is causing premature failure of the CDFP?

Cuz if you are just implying the ITFP is going out it the total cause that doesn't add up. If that was the case the issue wouldn't resolve itself with a new pump.

and yes does JJ have a thread?

Old 10-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #17
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mchart View Post
How does your cam and cam follower look?
checked them when I pulled the PTP pump...pristine...if they were bad the new pump would have failed immediately anyway.

as it is the CPE pump has run for ~5000 miles.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #18
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

you can actually see my AF getting close to 13 with a 12.0 commanded even in the rows you don't see FP drop...this indicates under fueling not over fueling and I bet if the logging rate were higher you'd see FP drop at those locations as well.

ok...I am about to go replace the spill/sol only and see if this resolves the issue. a much faster process LOL

IDK shit about how the internals should look but the piston John sent back to me only has some very slight black rings [almost looks like a barcode] around the piston where it rides inside the bore. nothing your fingernail can even detect. and they are circular not longitudinal.

bore has the original hash marks in it nothing else.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dano For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (10-03-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #19
[MSF STIG]

FORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Dano View Post
car stutters, misfires etc during the pressure drop...it appears to be starved for fuel.

both times it started out as an occasional stutter so I thought it was blowout...then it progressively got worse over the course of say a month....now I can't even go WOT without the car falling apart.

so if the sensor is having issues will it tell the ECU to stop fueling?

and why would replacing the pump resolve the issue for a period of months?

thanks

BTW congrats on the Ducati...I would love to have a streetfighter...but I aint that rich...LOL
Ok, I kinda re-read the thread and the only viable problem I can see is possibly a poor connection at the spill valve. Dirty, bent, spread, connector pins. When you change the pump you remove and replace the connector and may clean the crud off it? IDK, but try to clean it REAL good with spray cleaner and use a scribe point to tweak the female pins so they grip the male pins real good.

You know, kinda like when you ask the Dr to throw a few extra stitches in the vag after the kid is born to snug it up a bit....

It could also be the wire harness chaffing against another part of the car.
Bucker likes this.

`11 Ducati 1198SP SBK Duc Red w/Termi exh; Redline flash-tune + PC-5; Sargent; Shift-tech, CDT, & EVR Carbon; 14F/39R gear w/FBF QC; Speedymoto; R&G; ProGrip; Custom LED; Antigravity; Ducabike; Duc Perf, etc... a 182whp/105wtq The BIG DOG

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Hyper Duc CORSE w/Termi exh; Redline flash-tune + PC-5; Ducshop Hyperstacks; 14F/41R gear w/FBF QC; Shift-tech, CDT, & BST(wheels) Carbon; R&G; ProGrip; Antigravity; Ducabike; Duc Perf, etc... a 95whp/75wtq The Hooligan

`12 Aprilia RSV4 "Factory" SBK w/Akra Tit exh & race map; 15/42 gear; R&G; ProGrip; Gilles; CompWerkes; LightWerkes; Lightech; LSL Pegs; Antigravity; Zero Gravity; AF1 Flat Carbon, etc... the 181whp/83wtq The Land Rocket

`17 Ford Focus RS Nitrous Blue w/Cobb V3/AT; OZ Ultraleggera; Schroth harness The Super Fun Toy
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FORZDA 1 For This Useful Post:
Broxer (10-02-2011), Ckmazdaspeed3 (10-02-2011), Dano (10-02-2011), Jeremy M (10-06-2011), Ms3_Miami (11-26-2011), superskaterxes (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #20
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Lol on snugging the vag up.

I just pulled the connector in prep to pull the sol and need to go get a wrench for it. I'll work on the pins then test it on my trip to get the wrenches. Any idea in the mm of that booger. Its like 1-1/8 or slightly bigger.

Thanks Joe

Tappin

Old 10-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #21

m4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,015 Times in 1,768 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is the spill valve a piezoelectric device? Does ethanol affect this somehow? (build up = extra mass or vibration on the sensor?
SOLD//2014 Mustang GT// Brembos - Bob's Can - SCT X4 - MGW - GT500 Quad-tip Axle back - Vorshlag Street Pro - Ford K Springs - BMR PHB

2007 MS6 w/ Cheez

// COBB V3 AP // Corksport CTS4
// HKS Ignition // SURE ID300 MAF // COBB TIP // CXRacing FMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // PTP TIG // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // HD Coil Packs //
Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // Bilstein Shocks & H&R Springs // DSS Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber
// Defi Red Racer // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //
m4tic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m4tic For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #22
[MSF STIG]

Not Ranked  0 score     

Lol on snugging the vag up.

I just pulled the connector in prep to pull the sol and need to go get a wrench for it. I'll work on the pins then test it on my trip to get the wrenches. Any idea in the mm of that booger. Its like 1-1/8 or slightly bigger.

Thanks Joe

Tappin
Spill valve nut is 32mm

The Following User Says Thank You to FORZDA 1 For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #23
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

thanks..

@phate has had to take his apart a few times but hes on 100%e..

my first failure was on 100% petrol and I am only on ~e25

I will of course inspect the valve once i get it out but doubt I'll take it completely apart like phate did.

still want to get the pump warrantied by CPE.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #24
Must Have Teh 10's!

superskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Jj doesent have a thread but send him a pm. He went through 3 pumps before he figured it was his in tank. Your situation sounds identical to his. The reason your cpe pump worked right away is cause I think the low flow from the intank actually destroys the cdfp hence y a new one would work just fine
KILLAH Built/SPEED PERF6RMANC3 (SP) 10.6:1 Pistons ~ SP 11mm H11 Head Studs ~ K1 rods ~ SP CNC Head Work ~ Crower 65lb Valve Springs ~ Fully Keyed/Pinned Motor ~ GTX35R w/Tial .82AR Hotside ~ JMF IM w/1000cc PI Injectors ~ SP 75mm TB ~ SP In-Tank FP w/Dual DW300's ~ AEM FPR ~ SP Custom PI Fuel kit ~ CPE 4" MAF ~ CPE SAFEseals ~ TR1035 FMIC ~ CPE Atmosphere DP/Ex Manifold/Oil/Water Lines ~ Tial MV-R EWG VTA'd ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ CPE BT TIP ~ CPE RMM ~ JBR TMM ~ JBR PMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ Sonic Tuning CO's ~ LED Tails ~ Sonic Tuning HID's ~ Whiteline RSB ~ ACT 6 Puck w/unicorn dust
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superskaterxes For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011), jracer (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #25
[MSF STIG]

Not Ranked  0 score     

Jj doesent have a thread but send him a pm. He went through 3 pumps before he figured it was his in tank. Your situation sounds identical to his. The reason your cpe pump worked right away is cause I think the low flow from the intank actually destroys the cdfp hence y a new one would work just fine
Yeah if the intank pump is weak OR the High Volume Fuel Pump Relay/Resistor is bad the HPFP would cavitate and it could eventually smoke the internals... The intank pump has two speeds controlled by a relay and a big resistor mounted on driver swide frame rail...

The Following User Says Thank You to FORZDA 1 For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #26
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Lol

I was txting him yesterday and he never mentioned it. Maybe he was distracted by garage nurse.

Anyway to test itfp?

edit: reading fail on my phone...i was txting DJ not jj...hahah

Tappin

Last edited by Dano; 10-02-2011 at 12:36 PM.
superskaterxes (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #27
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

well it wasn't the connector.

so it sounds like we have at least two possible running theories here:

1) the actual pump is failing due to low ITFP pressure. however this would mean John was incorrect in his assessment of the pump I returned to him.

2) the pump is good as John indicated and it is something in the spill valve/solenoid/wiring.

I am about to find out one way or the other....headed out to replace the valve in my CPE pump.

I sent JJ a PM...

Last edited by Dano; 10-02-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
djuosnteisn (10-03-2011), superskaterxes (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #28
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

the fail continues....

swapped out spill valves to no avail...admittedly there was a small chance that was the issue but it was a simple 5 minute operation.

on to pump replacement.

BTW the parts of the spill valve you can see without taking it apart look brand new...no buildup whatsoever.

Mchart (10-02-2011), phate (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #29
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,728 Times in 5,873 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

ok..i'll bite on that and have already discussed it with Dustin.

Are you saying the ITFP flaking out is causing premature failure of the CDFP?

Cuz if you are just implying the ITFP is going out it the total cause that doesn't add up. If that was the case the issue wouldn't resolve itself with a new pump.

and yes does JJ have a thread?
That should be true. I tested an alternate CDFP for just a few minutes when my fuel pressure was dropping, and it held >1600psi....so I thought it was the internals. Pulled them and replaced them with known working stock internals, and found they would hold pressure sometimes, other times not. Fast forward some time and the issue became more frequent and with worse pressure drop. ITFP was to blame.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Broxer (10-02-2011), Dano (10-02-2011), djuosnteisn (10-03-2011), superskaterxes (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #30
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

FML

superskaterxes (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #31

kmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,256 Times in 1,244 Posts
Groans: 8
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had this problem put a volt meter on your intank pump and make sure u have 13 or 13.5 v at wot and put a pressure gauge on the feed line under the hood and monitor pressure. It shouldn't go under 60 psi I believe under wot. Mine did and I was popping hpfp.
kmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmac For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011), djuosnteisn (10-03-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #32
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I know you have to pull the tank to remove the ITFP but can you get to the wires from in the car so I can check voltage.

I'll have to source some parts to rig up a gauge for the feed line.

have I said this sucks yet LOL

kmac (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #33
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

well double FML..

new CDFP installed and same thing...

guess its time to order an ITFP

anything else could cause this besides the ITFP?

djuosnteisn (10-03-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #34

Realgib3 is the leader of the worldRealgib3 is the leader of the worldRealgib3 is the leader of the worldRealgib3 is the leader of the worldRealgib3 is the leader of the worldRealgib3 is the leader of the worldRealgib3 is the leader of the worldRealgib3 is the leader of the worldRealgib3 is the leader of the worldRealgib3 is the leader of the worldRealgib3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,269 Times in 1,675 Posts
Groans: 52
Groaned at 16 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's a long shot, but I had this happen after 35k with my KMD's and it was all related to another load cap of sorts lol. I hit 2.4+ with the k04 and never had this issue, but now 2.2+ with the GTX and fp drops a lot no matter where all my load targets/limiters are. I know it's load related cuz scaling the MAF fixed it 100%.

Not sure why it just started acting this way after 35K but whatever. Try a quick scale to keep you at or under 2.0ld and see what happens... Can't hurt to try
Realgib3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Realgib3 For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #35
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Realgib3 View Post
It's a long shot, but I had this happen after 35k with my KMD's and it was all related to another load cap of sorts lol. I hit 2.4+ with the k04 and never had this issue, but now 2.2+ with the GTX and fp drops a lot no matter where all my load targets/limiters are. I know it's load related cuz scaling the MAF fixed it 100%.

Not sure why it just started acting this way after 35K but whatever. Try a quick scale to keep you at or under 2.0ld and see what happens... Can't hurt to try
You guys' cars suck if that's the case. I've now seen 3.8 load and my car is peachy

Dano - Let me know about the ITFP.
Bucker likes this.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011), Realgib3 (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #36
Must Have Teh 10's!

Not Ranked  0 score     

No need to drop the tank. Follows socks guide he did for his dual pumps. Also a new pump alone is only 158 but don't get caught buying the whole assembly for 250. Also replace your filter while your in there.
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to superskaterxes For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011), kmac (10-02-2011), Nliiitend1 (10-04-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #37
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phate View Post
You guys' cars suck if that's the case. I've now seen 3.8 load and my car is peachy

Dano - Let me know about the ITFP.
I'll PM you...I def want a new ITFP.... I don't want to fry my new PTP pump.

No need to drop the tank. Follows socks guide he did for his dual pumps. Also a new pump alone is only 158 but don't get caught buying the whole assembly for 250. Also replace your filter while your in there.
I seem to remember something about that...didn't he hole saw a bigger opening in the floor pan?

I am not opposed to doing that...stupid Mazda "engineers" I use that term loosely. Why not make the in-car access big enough to replace the pump !?!

hum...hasn't another car manufacturer or two made their intank pump accessible from under the back seat....hum...idk...oh ....yes....at least 1 I know of...scoobies...

/rant

thanks guy for all the suggestions.
Bucker likes this.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #38
Must Have Teh 10's!

Not Ranked  0 score     

Actually the tank was designed to just be dropped a little and then u can sneak it by the hole in the back seat. F that cut the hole bigger haha
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superskaterxes For This Useful Post:
Dano (10-02-2011), djuosnteisn (10-03-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #39
Trail of Fail

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

seems mazda has problems lining up their holes....kinda like the front undercover oil filter hole..

hahahahaha

i'm really not his joyfull....but vodka heals all wounds

kmac (10-02-2011)
 Old 10-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #40
Eth Fiend

Not Ranked  0 score     

The tank isn't hard or very time consuming to drop in these cars. Start to finish, with a break or two in between, was ~3 hours for mine.
Trebor379 likes this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Realgib3 (10-02-2011), Trebor379 (10-25-2012)