register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection Have a CDFP fuel pump question? Do you want to add Nitrous or Water Injection to your Mazdaspeed 3/6 ? Please come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dale_gribble

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #1

Cdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default hpfp Relief valve Starting to Fail?

I've searched quite abit on this.

I did my engine off Psi test and found that My relief valve is opening up at 1800 psi,
From what I understand it isn't supposed to open up till 1885? is there a Tolerance to this number?

I've got a speed6 Stage 2 tune, Corksport Hpfp, catless Downpipe, Corksport TIH,SRI

From the Datalog you can see pretty much as soon as i hit 1800 or so Psi it starts dropping off rapidly till I let off the throttle.

Thanks guys just wanted to know before I ordered a new relief valve from mazda!

Oh and also Could I try lowering the Hpfp map on my Ap to command something like 1620 psi instead of the 1669? would that help this situation at all?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: csv Relief Valve test.csv (185.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: csv datalog10.csv (8.7 KB, 27 views)
Cdnspeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-03-2015, 07:52 AM   #2

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

From the looks of log10 (which is kind of a shitty log BTW) I would say your relief valve is due to be replaced.

Or your HPFP could be shit.
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, BSD, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
shamie is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #3

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,167 Times in 964 Posts
Groans: 438
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Relief valve looks fine from the KOEO log, pressure slowly rising after driving for a while.

Your other log, I don't even know what to make of it. Did you go WOT 1-2-3-4? That's not how you log. Fuel pressure is dropping to dangerous levels.
 Old 12-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #4

tegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the world
Groans: 87
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'd pull the HPFP and inspect it. Looks like once load/boost increases the HPFP psi takes a dive.
Maybe swap pumps with someone local if you know somebody that has a speed3/6.

KOEO log looks ok... I see the HPFP spike close to 2k psi between shifts so that makes me think it's not the RV but I could be wrong.
tegxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #5

Cdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond reputeCdnspeed6 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Its really hard to get a log of the fuel pressure dumping as its random and I really don't like purposely running the car lean trying to trouble shoot it,

When cruising it'll hold pressure fine it will hold over 1800 psi sometimes when doing a pull
but every pull that the pressure does drop it does it right when the hpfp spikes over 1800 psi

Could the relief valve be dirty? Do they even get dirty? Sticking?

Fuel pressure won't return until I let off the throttle, I'm assuming that is when the ecu commands less hfpf pressure and give the relief valve a chance to close

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it
 Old 12-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #6

dale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the world
Thanked 10,531 Times in 2,900 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The relief valve is the most common failure for these issues. How did you test the valve to 1800 psi out of curiosity in that csv? They are set to crack around 1850 psi or so IIRC, and they do get pissed after continuously hitting 1900+ after a while. If yours is holding to ~1800 it's probably ok.

When the PRV fails, it's usually sudden (just bleeds pressure) and the rail just won't build pressure much past 400 psi at idle commanded; it will idle but when you put a load on it, fuel pressure won't build up very high (<1k usually). I'm surprised yours is still holding up to 1600-1700 at all in those logs. It isn't a clear cut PRV failure IMO. It's gonna take some more investigating.
MazdaspeedKills likes this.
BILSTEIN - H&R SPRINGS - 18x8.5 +48 ROTA SVN - 265/35R18 HTR ZIII
MINI H1 6.0 - CAR LED TAILS

SEE MORE USING !SHOUTTAG.COM - ENTER: !6SPEED6
dale_gribble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dale_gribble For This Useful Post:
MazdaspeedKills (12-04-2015)
 Old 12-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I tested it by running the car up to temp (after a long drive) shutting the car off and keeping the key in the On position and the Pressure will rise as time passes, i've done it several times and it always cracks open at 1800psi. I'm thinking I just have a early opening Relief valve.

I'm going to try to lower my HFPF control tables slightly to see if I can get it consistantly under 1800 psi at wot will report back in a few days to let you guys know if i just have a low psi unit

thanks for the help!
 Old 12-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Lowered my commanded pressures to 1630 psi during wot I'm getting about 1750 now and no more pressure loss!! Finally!

Thanks all

Lowered my commanded pressures to 1630 psi during wot I'm getting about 1750 now and no more pressure loss!! Finally!

Thanks all

Last edited by Cdnspeed6; 12-03-2015 at 09:26 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 12-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #9

littleloogy is the leader of the worldlittleloogy is the leader of the worldlittleloogy is the leader of the worldlittleloogy is the leader of the worldlittleloogy is the leader of the worldlittleloogy is the leader of the worldlittleloogy is the leader of the worldlittleloogy is the leader of the worldlittleloogy is the leader of the worldlittleloogy is the leader of the worldlittleloogy is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,656 Times in 1,801 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 21 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That a baby. I target 1669 and my pressure stays between 1730 and 1770.
If your RV fails I have one I'll sell to you. Just tag me in a WTB thread.
littleloogy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to littleloogy For This Useful Post:
Cdnspeed6 (12-04-2015)
 Old 12-04-2015, 02:31 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

When I target 1669 I end up around 1750-1820ish
 Old 12-04-2015, 06:19 AM   #11

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would still replace the relief valve. Its like once it cracks it can't go back - until pressure is no longer supplied by the HPFP.

Its holding now - sort of. Where do you want to be when it totally shits the bed?
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, BSD, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
shamie is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #12

bristol504 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default new here

,hello to everyone i am new here and i hope i can be of help to someone some day but right now i need some serious help or insight, i got this 07 cx7 into my shop with a completly torn apart engine and the tranny was out also.long story shorti replaced the crankshaft and all the main and connecting rod bearings obviously all was checked and done at a reputable machine shop,a new original oil pump was installed and a new timing chain,after complete reassembly the car fired up nicely and ran nicely for about a hundred miles and then the oil light came on and the engine started to sound like it was oil starved.shut it off immediatly.after mayne an hour i restarfed it and it sounded normal again for about 15 minutes and then the same thing again,i am completly baffled,has anyone run into this problem?to add more mystery when i got this car it was completly dissassembled it was a real puzzle and a challenge since some other mecanic took it all apart and gave up on it, i am left with what looks like the tappet on the valve springs exept it has holes on the upper part of it,i can not find it anywhere on the diagrams i consulted , if anyone knows if it is part of something please let me know,i can post a picture, thanks http://mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/im...milies/usa.gif
bristol504 is offline   Reply With Quote