register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection Have a CDFP fuel pump question? Do you want to add Nitrous or Water Injection to your Mazdaspeed 3/6 ? Please come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lex

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #1

bigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default methanol injection MAF failsafe

So I'm looking into methanol injection and I like the idea of snow performance's MAF based injection system. I'm wanting to tune for it so it's almost necessary for me to get a fail safe. Now whether I go with the aem or snow performance one, I'm not sure it'll even work... help me understand this here: if my methanol injection will be based off of air flow, if my meth flow stops and my failsafe cuts my boost (Wastegate or guardian angle, etc), will that even help at all? Won't my car still run lean? The maf won't be unaffected so the same amount of meth well still be called to be injected but none will come out. Or is it ok to run a little lean as long as not under boost? Also, is there really a big difference for cutting boost at wastegate vs bpv?
AEM Water/methanol injection kit 550 ml/min nozzle ~5 psi/10 psi triggers 1/1 methanol/water Filter Autotech HPFP internals BrakeBest Brake pads Front Clarion XC1410 car amplifier COBB Tuning Downpipe Catback exhaust Front mount intercooler v2.0 XLE bypass valve Hybrid mode Short ram intake Turbo inlet hose Airbox Sport springs Short throw shifter Shift knob Shifter weight AccessPORT V3 Corksport Mid chassis brace Oil catch can Rear sway bar Radiator shrouds LED light kit cp-e SAFEseal injector seals Excalibur Wheel Accessories Black acorn bulge lug nuts 3/4" Echlin Ignition Parts Tire pressure monitoring system Left, right tire Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 tires 225/40R18 XL Ground Control Frim strut bump stops Front Interstate Mega-Tron battery James Barone Racing Rear motor mount 88 durometer Transmission side motor mount 80 durometer Passenger side motor mount 80 durometer EGR block off kit Thermal insulating intake gasket kit Thermal insulating throttle body gasket Coolant bypass kit Solid shifter bushings Bypass valve hose Kicker 40CSS684 component speaker system Front KS68 speakers Rear 11PT10CA powered subwoofer enclosure Koni Sport yellow shock absorbers Front 540 degrees LLumar ATR 35 film Mazda 2004-2008 RX-8 rims 18" x 8" FL22 engine coolant Monroe Sensa-Trac shock absorbers Rear Motorcraft XT-M5-QS transmission fluid NGK Iridium IX 6510 LTR7IX-11 spark plugs ~0.28" gap Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 motor oil SSP Primary EGR delete kit Stratified Tuning Guardian Angel ~21.5 psi trigger Visual Garage Shark fin antenna

Last edited by bigmike; 05-24-2013 at 04:14 PM.
bigmike is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,371 Times in 6,959 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

With a D07 nozzle and below and 50/50 you don't need to pull any fueling from your tune in the first place. So fueling is not the problem, however timing advance is. With WMI you will be able to run a lot more timing so if it shuts off you will get knock.

To reduce knock if it happens during a run, reducing boost is effective. You can reduce it by cutting the WG signal, or using GA and opening the BPV and it depends from setup to setup which will get you lower boost.
BLURSPORTS likes this.

We Engineer, and that's better than just tuning!

www.stratifiedauto.com
COBB AP and VersaTuner Custom Tuning. Guardian Angel Protection and Boost Control.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
bigmike (05-23-2013), Roddiy (05-23-2013)
 Old 05-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #3

Roddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the worldRoddiy is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,439 Times in 2,861 Posts
Groans: 279
Groaned at 58 Times in 47 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex View Post
With a D07 nozzle and below and 50/50 you don't need to pull any fueling from your tune in the first place. So fueling is not the problem, however timing advance is. With WMI you will be able to run a lot more timing so if it shuts off you will get knock.

To reduce knock if it happens during a run, reducing boost is effective. You can reduce it by cutting the WG signal, or using GA and opening the BPV and it depends from setup to setup which will get you lower boost.
Shit, you can run that much meth without altering fueling tables? I'm guessing it'll at least make your AFRs ~.2 richer, or is it really 0 change needed?

Bolted + Corn + Meth + ACT 6-Puck

#BakeryTuned
Roddiy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #4

bigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond reputebigmike has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks!! That was exactly what I was looking for. It's funny cause I'm actually coming to you for a tune when I get this and a couple other things down. While I'm at it, could you explain how the GA solves the rich VTA problem? I understand it stops leaking, but isn't 'leaking' what you want when it's commanded to vent? Cause isn't that how the air is released? And the air is still 'lost'. So how does the ga do it's magic and stop the rich fuel mixture at shifts?
AEM Water/methanol injection kit 550 ml/min nozzle ~5 psi/10 psi triggers 1/1 methanol/water Filter Autotech HPFP internals BrakeBest Brake pads Front Clarion XC1410 car amplifier COBB Tuning Downpipe Catback exhaust Front mount intercooler v2.0 XLE bypass valve Hybrid mode Short ram intake Turbo inlet hose Airbox Sport springs Short throw shifter Shift knob Shifter weight AccessPORT V3 Corksport Mid chassis brace Oil catch can Rear sway bar Radiator shrouds LED light kit cp-e SAFEseal injector seals Excalibur Wheel Accessories Black acorn bulge lug nuts 3/4" Echlin Ignition Parts Tire pressure monitoring system Left, right tire Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 tires 225/40R18 XL Ground Control Frim strut bump stops Front Interstate Mega-Tron battery James Barone Racing Rear motor mount 88 durometer Transmission side motor mount 80 durometer Passenger side motor mount 80 durometer EGR block off kit Thermal insulating intake gasket kit Thermal insulating throttle body gasket Coolant bypass kit Solid shifter bushings Bypass valve hose Kicker 40CSS684 component speaker system Front KS68 speakers Rear 11PT10CA powered subwoofer enclosure Koni Sport yellow shock absorbers Front 540 degrees LLumar ATR 35 film Mazda 2004-2008 RX-8 rims 18" x 8" FL22 engine coolant Monroe Sensa-Trac shock absorbers Rear Motorcraft XT-M5-QS transmission fluid NGK Iridium IX 6510 LTR7IX-11 spark plugs ~0.28" gap Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 motor oil SSP Primary EGR delete kit Stratified Tuning Guardian Angel ~21.5 psi trigger Visual Garage Shark fin antenna
The Following User Says Thank You to bigmike For This Useful Post:
Lex (05-23-2013)
 Old 05-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bigmike View Post
Thanks!! That was exactly what I was looking for. It's funny cause I'm actually coming to you for a tune when I get this and a couple other things down. While I'm at it, could you explain how the GA solves the rich VTA problem? I understand it stops leaking, but isn't 'leaking' what you want when it's commanded to vent? Cause isn't that how the air is released? And the air is still 'lost'. So how does the ga do it's magic and stop the rich fuel mixture at shifts?
The GA controls how the BPV is opened and when so that it allows the air to vent but less than it would without it. The idea here is that it's not whether or not air vents, it's how much air vents and the GA addresses that improving driveability while VTA.

www.stratifiedauto.com
COBB AP and VersaTuner Custom Tuning. Guardian Angel Protection and Boost Control.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
bigmike (05-23-2013), Roddiy (05-23-2013)
 Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #6

sidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,356 Posts
Groans: 47
Groaned at 72 Times in 45 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Roddiy View Post
Shit, you can run that much meth without altering fueling tables? I'm guessing it'll at least make your AFRs ~.2 richer, or is it really 0 change needed?
Our cars have WOT fuel trims that should correct for the slightly rich mixture.

FreekTune | 91 | JBR 3", PMM & RMM | CS Racepipe, TMIC & TMM Inserts | Autotechs

sidekick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sidekick For This Useful Post:
Roddiy (05-23-2013)
 Old 05-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The GA controls how the BPV is opened and when so that it allows the air to vent but less than it would without it. The idea here is that it's not whether or not air vents, it's how much air vents and the GA addresses that improving driveability while VTA.
So does that mean this feature could improve a standard recirculating BPV as well?
 Old 05-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bigmike View Post
So does that mean this feature could improve a standard recirculating BPV as well?
It will make it react faster so in a sense yes.

www.stratifiedauto.com
 Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It will make it react faster so in a sense yes.
Thanks I appreciate it... and last thing while I'm at it again lol since I'm gonna have you tune this, are boost based meth injection set ups easier to tune for than maf or is the opposite? It seems like to me looking at the tables that since boost is controlled rather than air flow that it would be easier and more reliable to use boost. But again I really have no idea; I'm just reasoning. A maf system seems to me like it might be nice to have for when boost increases very quickly, but I'm not sure how predictable the methanol concentration is. Is any of that right? Do you have a preference on what to tune? Maybe I should be emailing you this... lol
 Old 05-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Not Ranked  0 score     

Meth kits do not meter injection in a fine way - they are mostly either on or off. You can save your money and get a simple pressure switch (stage 1) and set it to 8-10psi instead of a progressive controller unless you run very large nozzles. With a D07 nozzle you won't have an issue.

The only system that meters injection is Aquamist that I know of.

I like pressure based simply because you don't splice into your MAF/OEM wiring. Failure of that sensor or wiring will cause a lot of headaches.

www.stratifiedauto.com
 Old 05-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Meth kits do not meter injection in a fine way - they are mostly either on or off. You can save your money and get a simple pressure switch (stage 1) and set it to 8-10psi instead of a progressive controller unless you run very large nozzles. With a D07 nozzle you won't have an issue.

I like pressure based simply because you don't splice into your MAF/OEM wiring. Failure of that sensor or wiring will cause a lot of headaches.
Great information! Expect to see me soon
 Old 07-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #12

BuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey I know this is an old thread, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for so I'll just ask the pro. I just bought a stage 1 snow performance kit from Stratified and am waiting for it to arrive. Although its a fixed spray system, I may decide to tune for it using a 50/50 mix. Is there a way to incorporate a fail safe system into a stage 1 kit?

I was thinking of using the guardian angel to open the bpv if the system fails, but I don't know what would trigger it, any help would be sweet.
- 2009 Speed 3 - Clocked BNR S4 v2 - Corksport 3.5" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Tr8 Fmic w/ Jbr Under Route Piping - Jbr Raiders Air Damn w/ Custom Radiator Side Ducting - Cpe Catless Dp - Cnt Catback - Cobb Xle Bpv - Corksport IM - Full Race EM - Cobb Shift Knob - Autotech Internals - Corksport HP Fuel Line - Gen 2 VC w/ Sp63 Oil Breather Cap - DM PCV Plate w/ Dual Vented Catch Cans - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Springs - 94 Octane w/ 3 Gallons of In Tank Methanol - Sp63 6th Port Kit (tune in progress)
BuddySpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #13

Turbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,902 Times in 525 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Water Methanol, Low Flow Safety Switch

+

Guardian angel
The Car - 08.5 True Red MS3 GT - MODS -Cp-e nano sri, HTP 3" tip, Autotech internals, Custom fmic 28x8x3.5 cx core, Cobb ap, Autolite XP5263, Turbo_Steve SHIFT HAMMER SSP, TRZ rear mount. Atp Downpipe and custom catted mid pipe. JBR TIG, tb gasket & egr delete, XS POWER V2 turbo manifold, Aem 30-3000 WMI Kit, Ported intake By Turbo_Steve. ADAPTED PERFORMANCE SHIFT HAMMER SSP - ADAPTED PERFORMANCE ENGINE COVERS

Soon to come.

WHO KNOWS? A.D.D. FTW!
Turbo_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote