register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection Have a CDFP fuel pump question? Do you want to add Nitrous or Water Injection to your Mazdaspeed 3/6 ? Please come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #1

RMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Please help! How to rotate the cam for HPFP installation?

I'm doing the KMD internal installation and got stuck trying to put the fuel pump back in the car.I believe the cam follower is extended all the way out but the thing is I can't get it to budge even a bit no matter what I did.I bumped start the car with depressing the clutch and the gas pedal all the way while flipping the key to "start",I pushed the car in gear hoping to turn the cam,the cam "cup" still didn't move a bit to allow me to insert the pump in. I tried to push the cam follower and the cam lobe with my finger and they don't move either. Should I try with a mallet/hammer? Any advices?

||Cobb AP(DJ tuned)||Cobb SRI||Cobb TIP||Cobb FMIC||Cobb SW||KMD v2.2 HPFP||Catted TBE(TurboXS DownPipe+Vibrant DPback)||TurboXS Hybrid BOV||Fortune Auto Coilovers||Powergrid Endlinks||Eibach Camber Kit||CPE RMM||Denso ITV22||STRI DSD 60mm Boost Gauge||5000K HID Fogs||Lamin-x Foglight Tints||Speedy Lite-Fin 18x7.5||General UHP 235/40/18||ADR 17x7(Winter)||Nextmod GV front Lip/spoiler Lip||AutoEXE Carbon Fiber Shifter Knob||Carbon Fiber Ebrake Cover||TWM Bushings||TWM Shift/Ebrake Boots||
RMCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #2

RMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond reputeRMCAT has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Finally got it in,I ended up using a screwdriver and tapping the cam follower all the way back in,then spent a good twenty minutes aligning and reconnecting the fuel line,what a pita...

||Cobb AP(DJ tuned)||Cobb SRI||Cobb TIP||Cobb FMIC||Cobb SW||KMD v2.2 HPFP||Catted TBE(TurboXS DownPipe+Vibrant DPback)||TurboXS Hybrid BOV||Fortune Auto Coilovers||Powergrid Endlinks||Eibach Camber Kit||CPE RMM||Denso ITV22||STRI DSD 60mm Boost Gauge||5000K HID Fogs||Lamin-x Foglight Tints||Speedy Lite-Fin 18x7.5||General UHP 235/40/18||ADR 17x7(Winter)||Nextmod GV front Lip/spoiler Lip||AutoEXE Carbon Fiber Shifter Knob||Carbon Fiber Ebrake Cover||TWM Bushings||TWM Shift/Ebrake Boots||
The Following User Says Thank You to RMCAT For This Useful Post:
Chimmike (08-05-2011)
 Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Must Have Teh 10's!

superskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,013 Times in 5,264 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 138 Times in 95 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

you dont need to have the cam lobe at the lowest point, u can just push on the FP and the spring will compress.
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Black Mica #4126
KILLAH Built/SPEED PERF6RMANC3 (SP) 10.6:1 Pistons ~ SP 11mm H11 Head Studs ~ K1 rods ~ SP CNC Head Work ~ Crower 65lb Valve Springs ~ Fully Keyed/Pinned Motor ~ GTX35R w/Tial .82AR Hotside ~ JMF IM w/1000cc PI Injectors ~ SP 75mm TB ~ SP In-Tank FP w/Dual DW300's ~ AEM FPR ~ SP Custom PI Fuel kit ~ CPE 4" MAF ~ CPE SAFEseals ~ TR1035 FMIC ~ CPE Atmosphere DP/Ex Manifold/Oil/Water Lines ~ Tial MV-R EWG VTA'd ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ CPE BT TIP ~ CPE RMM ~ JBR TMM ~ JBR PMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ Sonic Tuning CO's ~ LED Tails ~ Sonic Tuning HID's ~ Whiteline RSB ~ ACT 6 Puck w/unicorn dust
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
Certified RichTune E-Tuner
superskaterxes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to superskaterxes For This Useful Post:
Blackspeed (08-05-2011)
 Old 08-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #4

m4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,015 Times in 1,768 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

but its easier not having to go full retard trying to hold the pump to the mating surface so you can get a bolt started
SOLD//2014 Mustang GT// Brembos - Bob's Can - SCT X4 - MGW - GT500 Quad-tip Axle back - Vorshlag Street Pro - Ford K Springs - BMR PHB

2007 MS6 w/ Cheez

// COBB V3 AP // Corksport CTS4
// HKS Ignition // SURE ID300 MAF // COBB TIP // CXRacing FMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // PTP TIG // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // HD Coil Packs //
Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // Bilstein Shocks & H&R Springs // DSS Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber
// Defi Red Racer // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //
m4tic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m4tic For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (12-18-2011)
 Old 08-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
[MSF STIG]

FORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,920 Times in 739 Posts
Groans: 15
Groaned at 23 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by RMCAT View Post
Finally got it in,I ended up using a screwdriver and tapping the cam follower all the way back in,then spent a good twenty minutes aligning and reconnecting the fuel line,what a pita...
Well, you better hope you didn't fuck up the cam follower or the camshaft and the HPFP will be junk before too long. That cam follower is free to move and rotate within the bore, so if it required "tapping" with a tool to get it "back in", then it was cocked in the bore or there was dirt/crap causing it to bind in the bore.

Maybe you'll be lucky. Are you feeling lucky punk? Well, are ya? LOL

`11 Ducati 1198SP SBK Duc Red w/Termi exh; Redline flash-tune + PC-5; Sargent; Shift-tech, CDT, & EVR Carbon; 14F/39R gear w/FBF QC; Speedymoto; R&G; ProGrip; Custom LED; Antigravity; Ducabike; Duc Perf, etc... a 182whp/105wtq The BIG DOG

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Hyper Duc CORSE w/Termi exh; Redline flash-tune + PC-5; Ducshop Hyperstacks; 14F/41R gear w/FBF QC; Shift-tech, CDT, & BST(wheels) Carbon; R&G; ProGrip; Antigravity; Ducabike; Duc Perf, etc... a 95whp/75wtq The Hooligan

`12 Aprilia RSV4 "Factory" SBK w/Akra Tit exh & race map; 15/42 gear; R&G; ProGrip; Gilles; CompWerkes; LightWerkes; Lightech; LSL Pegs; Antigravity; Zero Gravity; AF1 Flat Carbon, etc... the 181whp/83wtq The Land Rocket

`17 Ford Focus RS Nitrous Blue w/Cobb V3/AT; OZ Ultraleggera; Schroth harness The Super Fun Toy
FORZDA 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FORZDA 1 For This Useful Post:
Chimmike (08-05-2011), Mizzle (12-18-2011), trf5000 (08-05-2011)
 Old 08-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Two nuns and a pack mule

AtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Love that movie....

After learning how to do the internals, I helped a few other do theirs. I remembered to always check the cam follower, but never did I have to turn it to get the pump back in. Those things are supposed to be in pristine and holy condition. I hope you didn't mess it up. Good luck!
 Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Damn,really hope I didn't fuck it up.I primed the pump and idle for 10 mins,FP dropped from around 800ish and stablized at 500ish psi,haven't had a chance to drive it cuz I was too tired to install the new TIP,gonna see how it goes tomorrow.

Normally how long it takes to know if there's a problem with the hpfp/cam?

Old 08-05-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
[MSF STIG]

FORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the worldFORZDA 1 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by RMCAT View Post
......Normally how long it takes to know if there's a problem with the hpfp/cam?
It will definitely vary depending on the problem. In your case, if the HPFP itself is ok from the start then the cam follower/cam lobe MAY be ok and you never have any related issues. If the follower/bore are dinged/scuffed on the sides, it will just leave metal in the oil as they wear away, but if the contact surface is damaged, the cam/follower will go to shit in fairly short time. I would guess around 1k miles or so.

Moral of the story is to be careful when you're doing mods on the car and if you need to HIT something for it to fit, then STOP and find out what's wrong!

`11 Ducati 1198SP SBK Duc Red w/Termi exh; Redline flash-tune + PC-5; Sargent; Shift-tech, CDT, & EVR Carbon; 14F/39R gear w/FBF QC; Speedymoto; R&G; ProGrip; Custom LED; Antigravity; Ducabike; Duc Perf, etc... a 182whp/105wtq The BIG DOG

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Hyper Duc CORSE w/Termi exh; Redline flash-tune + PC-5; Ducshop Hyperstacks; 14F/41R gear w/FBF QC; Shift-tech, CDT, & BST(wheels) Carbon; R&G; ProGrip; Antigravity; Ducabike; Duc Perf, etc... a 95whp/75wtq The Hooligan

`12 Aprilia RSV4 "Factory" SBK w/Akra Tit exh & race map; 15/42 gear; R&G; ProGrip; Gilles; CompWerkes; LightWerkes; Lightech; LSL Pegs; Antigravity; Zero Gravity; AF1 Flat Carbon, etc... the 181whp/83wtq The Land Rocket

`17 Ford Focus RS Nitrous Blue w/Cobb V3/AT; OZ Ultraleggera; Schroth harness The Super Fun Toy
The Following User Says Thank You to FORZDA 1 For This Useful Post:
SLOWHATCH (08-09-2011)
 Old 08-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by FORZDA 1 View Post
It will definitely vary depending on the problem. In your case, if the HPFP itself is ok from the start then the cam follower/cam lobe MAY be ok and you never have any related issues. If the follower/bore are dinged/scuffed on the sides, it will just leave metal in the oil as they wear away, but if the contact surface is damaged, the cam/follower will go to shit in fairly short time. I would guess around 1k miles or so.

Moral of the story is to be careful when you're doing mods on the car and if you need to HIT something for it to fit, then STOP and find out what's wrong!
How much damage it's gonna cause if the cam/follower goes to shit? Will I need to change the cam/HPFP or even more?

What I did was I wrapped the head of the screwdriver with a clean folded latex glove to avoid metal to metal contact,then I gently tapped the end of the screwdriver with a wrench,I moved the screwdriver around and it felt like I got the right angle after 3 or 4 taps when the screwdriver reached one part of the cam follower it sucked right in and I could push it all the way back with very little effort,I then cleaned the cam follower with non chlorinated brake cleaner spray and lubed with fresh motor oil just like what I did to the fuel pump...The cam follower really felt like stuck cuz it wouldn't budge a bit at the most extended position no matter what I did,was kinda desperate at that time until I saw this solution posted by other few members...

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Old 08-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
Banned

the_rolex_guy has a brilliant futurethe_rolex_guy has a brilliant futurethe_rolex_guy has a brilliant futurethe_rolex_guy has a brilliant futurethe_rolex_guy has a brilliant futurethe_rolex_guy has a brilliant futurethe_rolex_guy has a brilliant futurethe_rolex_guy has a brilliant futurethe_rolex_guy has a brilliant futurethe_rolex_guy has a brilliant futurethe_rolex_guy has a brilliant future
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just drive the car and see what happens.
the_rolex_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
[MSF STIG]

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, sounds like what happened is you had the cam follower slightly cocked in the bore and when you tapped it around it squared up and went in. Based on your last description I'm thinking you will be fine. As said above, just drive it and don't worry about it.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
Will fuck up ur day

Chimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,046 Times in 3,143 Posts
Groans: 433
Groaned at 224 Times in 138 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Next time, you could try bump cranking the car a couple times to move it instead of tapping with a screwdriver, lol.
Turismo Vids - Store your car vids and pics here! Blog your builds too!
Click here for great deals at The RPM Store! PM me for pricing!
I hear that honkey at Protégé Garage is pretty decent too.
Chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-09-2011, 01:47 AM   #13

86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,621 Times in 1,808 Posts
Groans: 338
Groaned at 93 Times in 48 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@AtTheDriveIn

Hmmm that Nator VA banner looks vaguely familiar....

2009 Mazdaspeed 3:
GT3076 - Corkey tuned
Treadstone 3" MAF, HTP 3" turbo inlet, MSCBE, Turbo XS FMIC, CNT catted DP, CP-E HPFP,
Tial QR BPV, SURE TIG's, ITV24's,
CP-E Stage 2 RMM, Medefail Tranny mount, 18x8 245/40's
390whp/400wtq
12.8@114

Sold
86AmishMs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 AM   #14
2zz mr-s

dooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,650 Times in 1,905 Posts
Groans: 239
Groaned at 352 Times in 214 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

danger to manifold
[07:25 PM] Pu Manchu: the second rule is "don't tell anyone"
[07:25 PM] Pu Manchu: the first rule of tranny fucking is "don't do it"
dooderek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dooderek For This Useful Post:
Chimmike (08-09-2011)
 Old 08-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by chimmike View Post
Next time, you could try bump cranking the car a couple times to move it instead of tapping with a screwdriver, lol.
Not only did I bump the crank and also I pushed the car in gear hoping to rotate the cam,if I wasn't running out of options I wouldn't using the screwdriver method...

Old 12-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #16

Grab21 has much to be proud ofGrab21 has much to be proud ofGrab21 has much to be proud ofGrab21 has much to be proud ofGrab21 has much to be proud ofGrab21 has much to be proud ofGrab21 has much to be proud ofGrab21 has much to be proud of
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Any other suggestions on how to better rotate crank? Any do it yourselves?

LSA supercharged Caddy CTS-V stealth gray-sold
Porsche Panamera turbo- sold
Bmw m3-sold
Z4m- sold
Grab21 is offline   Reply With Quote