register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection Have a CDFP fuel pump question? Do you want to add Nitrous or Water Injection to your Mazdaspeed 3/6 ? Please come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

stevenpennington is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Standalone ECU/Full port injection conversion?

While sitting at work this morning, I started to research and see if there was anyone selling/running a standalone ECU for the speed. Not surprisingly, I didn't find very much.

I then had a thought, or rather a chain of thoughts. I recall reading a thread a while back about how someone on here was running a PI system that had reduced the use of the stock DI to about 15%.
I then sat and read another thread highlighting the points that would cause difficulty with a standalone. From what i gather, it would be the direct injection drivers, the DBW, and the mechanical fuel pump.

My proposition is this (though I have no idea whether or not this would actually be possible/usable):
-Remove the stock injectors, and have some sort of block off put in place, or perhaps weld the ports shut.
-Remove the cam driven fuel pump, and figure out how to seal that off. This would leave a section of the cam exposed. Could I just have a custom cam made shorter? Possibly.
-Further to this, the next topic to address would be the DBW. Just from a (very brief, admittedly) search, I've found that quite a few companies sell DBW capable ECU's, namely Haltech and AEM.

Obviously this would be something that would likely cost more than most people are willing to spend on something that isn't guaranteed to work properly, or at all, but isn't that how innovation works-- by trial and error?

Just a quick thought process I had, if anyone has input I'd love to hear it!
stevenpennington is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #2

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok in clear, you want a stand alone ecu for a 2.3 n/a engine that would have crank and pistons from a speed in it ?

There is few universal stand alone device for PI engines....Miata guys may have infos about some for 2.0l or 2.5 engines?
It mean going back in the 90s for technology....
-Get rid of direct injection cooling effect,
-Get rid of VVT cam phasing to reduce dynamic compression when needed and get it back where it is usefull.
-Reduce static compression to be able to run some boost with street fuel

I'm not surprise it is not popular.....
Everyone else is doing meth injection for small needs or a 5-6port fuel injection or 1 per cylinder to increase fueling capacity but keep the DI system for the all the benefits it gives.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
stevenpennington (03-08-2018)
 Old 03-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Like I said, I wasn't even sure it was a sensible thought, so i appealed to the greater knowledge of everyone else on the forums.

Regarding the meth: it isn't available where I live and it can't be shipped in without a permit.

I'm currently piecing together a full PI system for my built motor, however I wondered about this before I went any further with it.

Thanks for the input!
 Old 03-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #4

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

methanol is probably available in other forms. I get mine at the hardware store and mix it myself. Look for paint cleaner maybe.
If i would run out of fuel, i would probably just upgrade the electric pump and lines. Build a secondary low pressure fuel system. Then get an intake with 4 bung for added injectors. Hook them up to a split second controler and call it done....
If you search a bit, you will find some how to and parts for it. This way you keep dizi benefit and close loop wideband feedback for daily driving but extra fuel when needed.

If you preffer plug and play solutuions, you can get this kit
https://edgeautosport.com/kozmic-mot...d-6-2006-2007/

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
 Old 03-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've looked into other ways of getting methanol but I've decided I'd just go with race fuel or e85 for power.

Thanks for the links also, however I already have a pretty good idea of how I'll be setting up my PI system (JMF v2, split second, etc.)

Again, thanks for the input!
 Old 03-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #6

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Not Ranked  0 score     

Innovation is cool, crazy projects are cool.

Everyone will tell you quit wasting your time and you are being dumb, but if you pull it off then it would be cool.

My instinct is to say buy something else if you don't want DI, it's too built into the motor. By the time you spend your money and figure it out you could have afforded a pretty cool race car.
The Following User Says Thank You to kTaLgsTo For This Useful Post:
 Old 03-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, i figured I'd be met with that kind of reaction haha. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't be bothered to do it--I have more money into my speed 3 now than I ever planned to, but I figured it might be a nice thought-provoker to share!
 Old 03-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #8

tegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the world
Groans: 87
Not Ranked  0 score     

Keep in mind that modern cars have a CAN bus that needs to be reversed engineered and making a stand alone ECU work is a tough task.
If you look into Vittuned/VitViper, he has been tuning and creating PnP Motec M1 jumper harnesses for Honda's (Port and DI including the new type-R) plus a few other platforms. VitViper has always been a Honda guy but he did have a speed3 a while back.
tegxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tegxsi For This Useful Post:
 Old 03-07-2018, 05:42 PM   #9

zenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,086 Times in 732 Posts
Groans: 57
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

https://youtu.be/_8A16c99DCI

"if anyone else acts a fool, we'll punish them to Roberts oil hut to discuss string alignment technique"
-wetzel
zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zenit For This Useful Post:
 Old 03-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #10

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cool! Glad to see DM putting so much into this platform. Wonder what a kit would cost if they put a home gamer kit together...
 Old 03-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I might try to reach out to him to see if he tried anything like that when he had his speed.

That video is pretty cool too, I wonder if that'll be something they offer as a kit in the future.

It's nice to see the further advancements of the speed platform!