register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #1

HeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default 17's on stock suspension

Hey folks,

A bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of info on here, and a lot of it outside the stickies is fairly scattered and random.

Like a few others here, I am looking to get new wheels on a stock suspension, and would like to avoid rolling fenders etc, if I could.

I have a list of 18" setups that should run fine, though I'm curious about 17's now.

My understanding is people like to run them for lighter wheels, beefier tires (that still fit), and cheaper prices?
What new fitment issues arise if you make the change to 17's though?

One last question: I've found a set
of 17" Enkei Fujin's on kijiji. I don't know the width yet, but they're et40 and I *think* he's got 225/55R17's on em?

Is this a setup that would make sense on a stock ride? Or am I out to lunch...

Cheers!
HeliBif is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #2

smoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,794 Times in 3,106 Posts
Groans: 423
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@HeliBif The fujins only come in a 7.5 inch width at 17". I have no idea what those other wheels are. Never heard of them.

The tire profile that you mentioned is a little strange. Your tires would be pretty tall with a 225/55 profile. Not sure how fitment would be on that, as I have never seen anyone run that size tire on our car.

The biggest setup that I have seen people run with no roll or pull is somewhere around 245/40/17x9 with a +40ish offset. This should leave you with the same clearance in the wheel well and maybe .5" inches closer to the suspension and maybe another .5" towards the fender. You could possibly see a tiny bit of rubbing on the suspension. Nothing that a little more camber couldn't fix though.

On stock suspension this setup I have mentioned should fit well. With a drop it would all depend on the extent that you lower the car. But I would think that an inch would be fine.

As far as Weight savings go, those are completely negated by the larger tires people run (in most cases). The real benefit is a larger contact patch makes it easier to get the power to the ground. Some might also see the (slightly) cheaper prices for a wheel and tire setup a plus as well.

Edit: just realized that kijiji isnt a wheel, its a place. reading comprehension fail.
SOLD

1999 Jeep XJ
6.5" Lift | Armor | 33" Tires | Bumpers

1996 Jeep XJ
3.5" Lift | 31" GY Duratracs | Bumpers

1994 Miata
15x8's w/NT05's | KYB AGX | Hardog Roll Bar | 70D Engine Mounts
smoogs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #3

HeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond reputeHeliBif has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by smoogs12 View Post
@HeliBif The fujins only come in a 7.5 inch width at 17". I have no idea what those other wheels are. Never heard of them.

The tire profile that you mentioned is a little strange. Your tires would be pretty tall with a 225/55 profile. Not sure how fitment would be on that, as I have never seen anyone run that size tire on our car.

The biggest setup that I have seen people run with no roll or pull is somewhere around 245/40/17x9 with a +40ish offset. This should leave you with the same clearance in the wheel well and maybe .5" inches closer to the suspension and maybe another .5" towards the fender. You could possibly see a tiny bit of rubbing on the suspension. Nothing that a little more camber couldn't fix though.

On stock suspension this setup I have mentioned should fit well. With a drop it would all depend on the extent that you lower the car. But I would think that an inch would be fine.

As far as Weight savings go, those are completely negated by the larger tires people run (in most cases). The real benefit is a larger contact patch makes it easier to get the power to the ground. Some might also see the (slightly) cheaper prices for a wheel and tire setup a plus as well.

Edit: just realized that kijiji isnt a wheel, its a place. reading comprehension fail.
So, if I understand you correctly, this wheel tire combo wouldn't make much sense as it is not really wide enough to benefit from the smaller diameter/wider tire, and the tire is unusually tall (meaning I would have too much flex in the sidewall?).

The guy is saying they came off a new 300c...

Im getting the feeling they're not really for me then?

Hahaha sorry, I thought kijiji was a pretty universal buy/sell site! My bad
HeliBif is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #4

smoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,794 Times in 3,106 Posts
Groans: 423
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I mean the wheels would be fine. You would just want to go with a different tire. Probably something along the lines of like a 235/40 or 235/45. This would keep you pretty close to the stock tire diameter, and fill out your wheel wells about the same as stock.

If I'm getting 17s though, I'm gonna get wheels that I can throw a fatass tire on. I would go 8.5 at least.

Haha and yeah, the "kijiji" thing was just my ignorance. Sounded like one of the dumbass names that enkei would use. I'm mainly a tire rack and wheeldude shopper.
SOLD

1999 Jeep XJ
6.5" Lift | Armor | 33" Tires | Bumpers

1996 Jeep XJ
3.5" Lift | 31" GY Duratracs | Bumpers

1994 Miata
15x8's w/NT05's | KYB AGX | Hardog Roll Bar | 70D Engine Mounts
smoogs12 is offline   Reply With Quote