register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By g00s3y
  • 1 Post By CamShaft
  • 1 Post By Cheapspeed

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #1

CamShaft will become famous soon enoughCamShaft will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Big Rock and Destroyed Tire opens doors

The other day while driving home from work, I smoked a big bloody rock, slightly smaller than a tennis ball, thunderfucking the sidewall and putting a minute dent on the lip of my wheel. A bit of a piss off to say the least. Since I was approaching a logging truck on a narrow road at that exact moment, swerving wasn't an option.
Until I sort out my plan of action I threw on my Winter steelies since the snow'll be flying next month anyway.
On my Gen 1 I've been running Marangoni Mythos 225/40/18 on 18x7.5 inch wheels, stock suspension. Offset I'm unsure of.
Initially I figured I'd wait until spring, try to sell my 3 good tires and replace them all with Nitto NT555's in the same size. Upon further consideration I've decided that doing so would be retarded, seeing that I plan to make plus 350whp in due time, so I'd might as well set this up right the first time. Tires are too often a performance mod that's taken for granted.
If I ran a 245/40/17 with a offset of 48, my clearance should be fine seeing that the diameter of the tire would be extremely close to what I'm currently running and based on my homework. I have no qualms about rolling my fenders either.
My predicament is that I'd like to run Nitto NT555R's on the front and NT555's on the rear with a modest half inch suspension drop. Unfortunately those tires only come in 245/45/17 which is half an inch larger in diameter, which I think may potentially pose clearance issue. I think I may have to pick a different tire set up....
I'm also finding it difficult to find a 17x8 inch wheel I like with the offset I'm looking for.
Good thing I've got months of winter approaching to do further research and come to a decision.
Here are a couple picks of the damaged goods.
"When one door closes, another opens"
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (116.8 KB, 31 views)
CamShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #2

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,167 Times in 964 Posts
Groans: 438
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Drugs are bad, mkay?
KiwiFlavor (09-06-2016), Vansquish (09-05-2016)
 Old 09-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

_SPEED3GT_ is a name known to all_SPEED3GT_ is a name known to all_SPEED3GT_ is a name known to all_SPEED3GT_ is a name known to all_SPEED3GT_ is a name known to all_SPEED3GT_ is a name known to all
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What in the.....

A "minute dent"....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
_SPEED3GT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _SPEED3GT_ For This Useful Post:
KiwiFlavor (09-06-2016)
 Old 09-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #4

thems3driver is the leader of the worldthems3driver is the leader of the worldthems3driver is the leader of the worldthems3driver is the leader of the worldthems3driver is the leader of the worldthems3driver is the leader of the worldthems3driver is the leader of the worldthems3driver is the leader of the worldthems3driver is the leader of the worldthems3driver is the leader of the worldthems3driver is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by _SPEED3GT_ View Post
What in the.....

A "minute dent"....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol I thought the same shit. Was like new slang?
Current Installed: Autotech Internals | Cobb AP v3 | JBR SSB | JBR RMM 80A Duro | Pioneer HU - Alpine speakers - Alpine sub (cause fuck BOSE) | Goodyear F1 Asymmetric | CS Intake + TiP | Forge BPV v2.0 | Swift Springs Spec R | Redline MTL 80

Future Installs: CS Race Pipe | CP-E TMIC | WMI

Rice Maker Mods (not power mods): Daily Driven, Mazdaspeed Decals, Cobb x2, JBR Decal, Stratified Tuned Decal, RVinyl yellow fog overlays, Plastidip rear valance, G2 caliper pnt, 35W Kensun slim HID, CS LEDs Fogs | Footwell blue LEDs | Dual ported box | Foglight Covers dipped | Red Vinyl Wrapped Tail Lights

thems3driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thems3driver For This Useful Post:
_SPEED3GT_ (09-05-2016)
 Old 09-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Minute" is a word most commonly used to describe a measurement of time equaling 60 seconds, but with a different prunciation can also mean infinitesimal, insignificant, minuscule, tiny, trace ,exact, exacting, excruciating, precise, scrupulous . So....in this particular context: very small.
Now....if you gentlemen spent a a fraction of the time (a minute Perhaps?), searching the dictionary, as you do forums , reading about cars, you'd have easily found the definition of that word with little confusion. HAHAHAHA
Seriously though guys, I don't read the dictionary either.....and perhaps the use of that word to describe my wheel is a bit of an understatement.
Cheapspeed likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to CamShaft For This Useful Post:
Cheapspeed (09-06-2016)
 Old 09-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #6

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,167 Times in 964 Posts
Groans: 438
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Crack is whack.
 Old 09-06-2016, 04:15 AM   #7

anavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,457 Times in 1,982 Posts
Groans: 63
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

To keep the stock rolling diameter you want a 245/45/17. So that solves that problem.

17x8 +48 won't have clearance issues but I'd run a wider wheel if you're planning at least 245s. I run 17x8 +48 and only have clearance issues in the front at the strut, no problem in the rear. You'll need that roll but shouldn't need much pull if any. If you go coilovers you may need more front spacer (I use 5mm).

For tire choice, that's up to you but I wouldn't mix them. These cars are hard on tires and you'll get pretty bad wear if you never rotate them.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
anavrinIV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anavrinIV For This Useful Post:
CamShaft (09-06-2016)
 Old 09-06-2016, 04:15 AM   #8

Cheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,429 Posts
Groans: 29
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's pronounced "my-newt" in this context.
CamShaft likes this.
MSMS3 (09-06-2016), Yatta (09-06-2016)
 Old 09-06-2016, 06:23 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the intelligent input, @anavrinIV;
You're absolutely right about the 245/45/17's being the same (within 0.1 of an inch) size as the stock tire size diameter. I completely forgot that they come with 215/45's. So that solves that issue. So I'll stick with my plan to run NT555R's up front and NT555's in the rear. The reason for the mixing is that the 'R's are drag radials meant to be ran with the others. I plan to convert my speed3 to a strictly summer time toy so roasting tires off will be part of the game, and I think that once I get the power levels I plan to, the drag radials will be a wise choice to get the traction down.
And I think for wheel choice, I'm going to go with some black Enkei T6S wheels.

Last edited by CamShaft; 09-06-2016 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Elaboration
 Old 09-06-2016, 07:08 AM   #10

anavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,457 Times in 1,982 Posts
Groans: 63
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by CamShaft View Post
Thanks for the intelligent input, @anavrinIV;
You're absolutely right about the 245/45/17's being the same (within 0.1 of an inch) size as the stock tire size diameter. I completely forgot that they come with 215/45's. So that solves that issue. So I'll stick with my plan to run NT555R's up front and NT555's in the rear. The reason for the mixing is that the 'R's are drag radials meant to be ran with the others. I plan to convert my speed3 to a strictly summer time toy so roasting tires off will be part of the game, and I think that once I get the power levels I plan to, the drag radials will be a wise choice to get the traction down.
And I think for wheel choice, I'm going to go with some black Enkei T6S wheels.
Meant to say I run 17x9 +48, not 17x8

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
anavrinIV is offline   Reply With Quote