register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

kwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 41 Times in 9 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Bridgestone RE760 Sport review

For anyone interested:

After a 75 mile scuff in period I hit the (really hot - 100 plus) local canyons today for another 75 miles.

Initial impressions? Very very good tires. It's hard to say until they wear down and go through a few more heat cycles, but initially, I am very impressed!

Pro's:

Relatively narrow slip angle. Surprisingly good grip even though they are essentially brand new. Outstanding steering feel - at least as good as the RE050A's it came with, which inspires a lot confidence. Very little squeal. Very little wheelspin. Very good braking traction. Excellent tire for the money.

Con's:

Very firm sidewalls and somewhat noisy tread design. I dread them wearing down, that's when my Firehawks got REALLY noisy...but still had better compliance on rough pavement, lane markers, etc. Also, I went from a 225/40 to a 225/45 yet they are still a bit harsh. Very good tracking and straight line stability at high speeds.

Conclusion:

Considering their young age and the high temps today, I am seriously impressed! I like them a LOT better than the Firehawks when they were the same age. The whole car just has a more precise feel to it, and virtually no tread squirm (unlike the Firehawks). The feedback to the wheel is better too - I can definitely feel more on center and read the surfaces better, but that comes at some cost to ride comfort. They also have a little more steering effort but the payback is a much quicker return to center.

Anyway, very impressed so far! This is a much better match to the car than the Firehawks were, and have much more sportier and precise character. I would have no qualms about tracking these, in fact I think they'd be pretty quick. I was getting tossed about in my seat sometimes which hasn't happened since I had Star Specs.

Wet performance, uh, check with me on that in 2012
This car has never been raced, modified, or abused in any way. Maintained as required, only wear items have been replaced with OEM or better parts, in compliance with all warranty terms, and federal and state laws.

kwsmithphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #2

kwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the worldkwsmithphoto is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 41 Times in 9 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

FWIW, I rummaged through the canyons again today. I only have about 200 miles on them and a few real heat cycles, but I am still really impressed. They aren't the most comfortable treads in the world but the steering feel and dry lateral grip are superb!

Braking grip is a tad weak but not awful, and power grip is good but not amazing. It should get better as they wear down since they're so new but who knows. I do know that my car just feels much more precise and easy to drive at sane road speeds and that I like it!
This car has never been raced, modified, or abused in any way. Maintained as required, only wear items have been replaced with OEM or better parts, in compliance with all warranty terms, and federal and state laws.

kwsmithphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #3

gotspeed is the leader of the worldgotspeed is the leader of the worldgotspeed is the leader of the worldgotspeed is the leader of the worldgotspeed is the leader of the worldgotspeed is the leader of the worldgotspeed is the leader of the worldgotspeed is the leader of the worldgotspeed is the leader of the worldgotspeed is the leader of the worldgotspeed is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 14 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

About the same impressions that I have had from these tires.

I've had them for two years now, and here are my impressions:

- they fade away relatively slowly (much much better lasting than the RE050...wich lasted me a summer and a half for the same style of driving) after more time and mileage than my 050, Im only at 8/32th front and 7/32th rear used ...so I can honestly hope in making at least another full summer season with them...if not 2.... I'm really impressed for the price and performance.

- lateral grip on dry hot roads is almost a s good as 050 (once they are warmed up)
But do not disable stability control if you feel like testing the limits...

- accelerating grip is not as good as 050's, (i can easily brake loose in 2nd gear, if I floor it, witch was harder to do with the 050's) but is still very decent considering fwd and massive TQ of our cars.

- In the wet, they evacuate water better than the 050's (highway), but cornering seems a little slippy. (cant say it its more than the 050's because I rarely take corners fast when its raining)
(i've had to recover a unwanted drift with stability off)... I had it off because it was sunny, then it started to rain and I forgot about having it off. I wasn't proud of myself...but at least nothing happened...close call tho. I have to think that it may not have happened with stability on....I would have to recreate this in a wet empty parking lot to be sure.

-personally , I dont find them noisy at all, and quite comfortable (but I got 225/45 r18) wich adds a little sidewall and width.

So I can say i would not hesitate to buy them again, depending on how they behave in the final years.
gotspeed is offline   Reply With Quote