register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #1

Stealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the world
Thanked 10,066 Times in 3,206 Posts
Groans: 201
Groaned at 164 Times in 103 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Dunlop Wintersport M3s ROCK

I know there are a few people on here who don't like Wintersport M3s for whatever reason, but I had a chance tonight to test them on about 4-5" of snow, with drifts up to about 8" and I have to say--they ROCK. I'm running 225/45 18s on the stock rims.

SOme background. First, I grew up in upstate NY, and have been in Maine, Nebraska, Colorado, Korea, and Japan, so driving in snow is something at which I am very good and very experienced. I've driven RWD, AWD, FWD, and 4WD in the snow, too. Until this year, I did it on all-seasons, and the last set of those I had were Goodyear Eagle GTs, which were pretty damn sharp in the snow, all things considered.

So I'll compare the tires to those.

Starting: Accelerating on these tires in snow was surprisingly good. A little slip if I really gunned it, but on gradual acceleration, the car simply moved ahead. No fishtailing, no spinning unless I wanted those things to happen. Compared to the Eagle GTs, it was night and day. They would slip and spin a bit, even on most gentle starts, then grab and be more stable. These snow tires were solid from the start.

Stopping: This is where the tire REALLY excelled. I stopped hard a few times, and every time, the car stopped very succinctly. That's not AWD -- that's good brakes and tires made to stop in the snow. Very impressed. The Eagle GTs were decent at stopping, but you still had to provide more room than you normally would. I'd say these wintersports easily stop in half the distance of the Eagle GTs on snow, snowpack, and ice.

Lateral grip was good. Far better than the Eagle GTs, but not as good as the lateral grip on the Blizzaks on my buddy's STi. I could get the back end to kick out around a turn if I accelerated moderately hard. Not a lot of kick-out, and they DEFINITELY gave the TCS more time to adjust and correct the car. But once I got off the gas, recovery was almost immediate. Between the computer, the AWD, and the snows, it recovers MUCH faster than it did on the all-seasons.

Deep Snow: I found a spot where a plow had bunched up about 8 inches of snow and decided to see how she did. With all-seasons, I'd slide and spin a bit in something like that. Once I had to rock it back and forth twice to get it out. With these -- right through like it wasn't there.

I paid $550 for these used, plus $50 to mount them. They had 10-11/32s tread on them when I picked them up, and I fully expect at least two winters, probably three out of them based on how the tread is wearing.

VERY satisfied with these tires.

The MS6 was good in the snow on all-seasons. It's a TANK on these.

SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | SURE AGS Atom Shift Knob | SURE Torque R6 RMM | SURE Ventus in Hybrid Mode | SURE Dreadnaught | SURE Juggernaught | SURE Flow M6 TP | SURE Charge Tubes | SURE Return | SURE S6 Side Motor Mounts | SURE Breather Line | Hawk HPS F/R Brake Pads | StopTech F/R Rotors | Technafit SS BL | Technafit SS Clutch Line | Primewell PZ900 Tires (blech) | Red LED Dome & Door Lights | O-series Stubby Antenna | Cobb AP | ACT 6 Puck Clutch w/Prolite FW | Autolite XP Plugs (One Step Colder) | Whistler Pro-78SE Hard-wired | STRATIFIED Tuned by Lex | COMING SOON: Autotechs | SURE TIG

Read my stories: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/55318
Stealth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-31-2010, 07:27 PM   #2

Stealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the worldStealth01 is the leader of the world
Thanked 10,066 Times in 3,206 Posts
Groans: 201
Groaned at 164 Times in 103 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Fun. I had some.

This is one of the 8-inch drifts I drove into, stopped, and drove out. L)

Another funspot

And my pup showing how deep this drift was...look at the snow behind him.

SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | SURE AGS Atom Shift Knob | SURE Torque R6 RMM | SURE Ventus in Hybrid Mode | SURE Dreadnaught | SURE Juggernaught | SURE Flow M6 TP | SURE Charge Tubes | SURE Return | SURE S6 Side Motor Mounts | SURE Breather Line | Hawk HPS F/R Brake Pads | StopTech F/R Rotors | Technafit SS BL | Technafit SS Clutch Line | Primewell PZ900 Tires (blech) | Red LED Dome & Door Lights | O-series Stubby Antenna | Cobb AP | ACT 6 Puck Clutch w/Prolite FW | Autolite XP Plugs (One Step Colder) | Whistler Pro-78SE Hard-wired | STRATIFIED Tuned by Lex | COMING SOON: Autotechs | SURE TIG

Read my stories: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/55318
Stealth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #3

Frequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the worldFrequentflyer is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got these tires and they do rock. Not quite as good as a studless snow tire like the Blizzak WS's, but they're a great daily drivable winter tire without the squirmy, floaty handling.
08.5 CWP MS3 - Cobb AP *Stage 2* ATR tweaked - Cobb SRI w/AEM dry flow filter - RPMC Inlet - Corksport TMIC - Corksport Downpipe (w/OE midpipe) - PTP HPFP - Stock BPV - TWM SS w/bushings - CP-e RMM - Bilstein Sports w/OE springs - Rota 18x8.5 48+ SVN Black/w Red Lip - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 - Cobb RSB - Prosport Boost Gauge/Mearcat pod - Motorcraft XT-M5-QS in the tranny!
Frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote