register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-25-2010, 04:56 AM   #41

Dizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Arrowpoint View Post
It's supposed to rain tomorrow so the pics won't be great but I'll go ahead a shoot a few for you. I can tell you that with the 225/45/18 and the 7.5 x 18 48 RPF1's the wheel wells look full. I took a tape measure and measured from the widest point on the tire to the outside edge of the wheel well and the tire is less than 1/2 inch short of being flush at the top. The space between the outside diameter of the tires and the inside edge of the wheel well ranges between 1 inch on the sides to 1 3/4 inches at the top.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind when comparing prices.
Dizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #42

Arrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Crappy flash pics of a dirty car.

I'm ashamed of myself but you wanted them soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1293.JPG (2.66 MB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1297.JPG (2.23 MB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1298.JPG (1.70 MB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1314.JPG (2.03 MB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1317.JPG (2.38 MB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1319.JPG (1,003.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1321.JPG (2.50 MB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Front.JPG (2.46 MB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Rear.JPG (2.35 MB, 45 views)
Arrowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #43

Dizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond reputeDizzel has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

The wheels look great! I hope your happy with them.

Quick question. How often do you carry a full load? At least once a month I carry four adults. In the spring I put the seats down and load it up with mulch. I was just wondering how often people use the utility of the car as opposed to just driving by themselves. I assume this would cause an extra rubbing concern. Unless the inner fender is really concave.

You could squeeze 235/40s on the 7.5 rim, but technically it's considered half inch below minimum. To me that's a safety issue so I wouldn't, but a lot of people do.
Is there some sort of guide I could see that would show the "safe" tire sizes in relation to wheel width?
 Old 03-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #44

bnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,379 Times in 530 Posts
Groans: 5
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Dizzel View Post
Is there some sort of guide I could see that would show the "safe" tire sizes in relation to wheel width?
On tire rack dot com you can click on a tire you like, click on "Specs" and there's a chart that shows recommended wheel widths for that and other sizes as well.
2013 Ford Focus SE - Sold!
1986 Porsche 944 Turbo - Sold!
2002 BMW M3 - Sold!
2014 Mustang GT 5.0 Track Pack
1974 GMC Super Custom 1500 built 350/TH400 3200 stall
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-26-2010, 11:43 PM   #45

Arrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the worldArrowpoint is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

What I have learned from this thread and looking at the tires and wheels I bought is that wider is possible as long as the wheel diameter is not too large and the offset isn't too much or too little. The set I bought 225/45/18 wihi 48 pffset clears the struts in the front by around 3/4 - 1 inch and about 1 - 1 1/2 inches in the rear. If I had gone with 235/45/18 on wheels with a 48 offset I think I would be very close to touching the struts at least in front. So maybe 50 offset would be in order to move 235/45/18 tires outward a little. Too much outward and because of the 45 aspect ratio you would be risking rubbing on the wheel well so you would need to go to a 40 aspect ratio to reduce the tires diameter. One thing to keep in mind is that at lower speeds wider tires require more streering effort because you are working againt more fricton due to a larger area of tire against the pavement. At higher speeds this effect is reduced. Narrower tires have the opposite effect. they turn easer at low speeds but can be less sticky at High speads due to a smaller surface area against the pavment. I believe that the wheels and tires I got are the widest tires I would consider for my application. I do load it up with two to thee weeks provision and take long road trips in it
So if you plan to go with 235/18 i would advise 40 aspect ratio and a little more than 48 offset. Correct me if I'm wrong I'm just learning this stuff and I took an ambien about a half hour ago.

****I had to edit this after seeing that it made it appear that I bought 235 tires when in reality I bought 225. My bad.

Last edited by Arrowpoint; 03-28-2010 at 02:38 PM.
 Old 03-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #46

spheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey arrowpoint, how much clearance do you have in the fender well with the wheel at full lock? I have the same wheels on stock suspension looking at getting the same tires but I'm concerned about the larger tires making contact with my Rally Armor mudflaps.
 Old 03-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #47

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by spheed3 View Post
Hey arrowpoint, how much clearance do you have in the fender well with the wheel at full lock? I have the same wheels on stock suspension looking at getting the same tires but I'm concerned about the larger tires making contact with my Rally Armor mudflaps.

I measured on the front left and with the wheel turned left all the way to the stop I have about .5 inches. With the wheel turned right to the stop about 2.5 inches. Keep in mind that there was a typo in my earlier post. These are 225/45/18.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1329.JPG (3.02 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1333.JPG (2.06 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by Arrowpoint; 03-28-2010 at 02:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arrowpoint For This Useful Post:
spheed3 (03-28-2010)
 Old 03-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #48

spheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond reputespheed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thank you, I think they should clear just fine. Time to order some tires
 Old 03-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #49

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the continued info Arrowpoint. I like how you wheels look and think the smaller size will help control the price.

Can any wheel be fitted with the TPMS or do you need a wheel designed for it?
 Old 03-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #50

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm not one hundred percent sure, Dizzel. But I would think so since it's just a valve stem with a transmitter built into it. It doesn't appear that tire rack did anything but install them in place of the regular valve stems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vdo_pp_sensor_TPMS_300dpi_13x18cm_zoom.jpg (33.6 KB, 15 views)
 Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #51

Not Ranked  0 score     

That's what I thought. I really want the Enkei EKM3 in gunmetal but as of right now tire rack is only offering it in bright silver. After all this up sizing excitement I am now being beat down by price. May only increase width to 7.5.
 Old 03-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #52

bnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,379 Times in 530 Posts
Groans: 5
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Arrowpoint View Post
...with a 48 offset I think I would be very close to touching the struts at least in front. So maybe 50 offset would be in order to move 235/45/18 tires outward a little.

Just to correct you, going from a 48 offset to 50 offset moves the tires/wheels INWARDS, not OUTwards as you stated. There are people running 18x8 50 offset RX8's with 245's on them and not touching the struts, so your 235 statement is wrong all around. Also depends on if the tires used have rim protection beads though too since those stick out more on the sides. Brand of tire and series of tire change things also...
2013 Ford Focus SE - Sold!
1986 Porsche 944 Turbo - Sold!
2002 BMW M3 - Sold!
2014 Mustang GT 5.0 Track Pack
1974 GMC Super Custom 1500 built 350/TH400 3200 stall
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2010, 06:05 AM   #53

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Re: Enkei RPF1 18x7.5 5x114.3 48 off set

Thanks for the correction, Bnoon. When you consider all these variables, I don't know how anyone can know what fits other than a tire tech who has learned by trial and error. It seems like it should be simple but to me anyway its not. It would be cool if someone with access to different tires and wheels could build a photo data base of what fits.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk
 Old 04-12-2010, 04:26 AM   #54

Ms3speed has much to be proud ofMs3speed has much to be proud ofMs3speed has much to be proud ofMs3speed has much to be proud ofMs3speed has much to be proud ofMs3speed has much to be proud ofMs3speed has much to be proud ofMs3speed has much to be proud ofMs3speed has much to be proud ofMs3speed has much to be proud of
Groaned at 10 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default 18x8 40et

Hey guys I have 18x8 Motegi sp10 wheels with a 40et from what I have been reading It seems like I might have some trouble with lowering it. I am at stock ride height now with 225/40 tires and no problems at all but I have some H&R sport springs that I am dieing to put in but I don't know if I need new wheels or not I was looking at getting some Eneki Ev5s in 18x7.5 45et will I need to roll my fenders still with the 225/40tires? H&R springs are 1.3"f, 1.2"r for the drop -thanks-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_c734f85a6b6c45d7acf95ebd45eb7465.jpg (33.0 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Ms3speed; 04-14-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Ms3speed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #55

jbauer will become famous soon enoughjbauer will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks good. Black would have looked better on the MGM, but i'm partial to the black RPF1's since that's what i have. The wife got them as a gift a year or so ago. Love the rims but i do wish they were wider. I may switch to a 17x9 in time.

Still congrats on them though.
jbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-02-2010, 05:02 AM   #56

dastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,000 Times in 609 Posts
Groans: 21
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Ms3speed View Post
Hey guys I have 18x8 Motegi sp10 wheels with a 40et from what I have been reading It seems like I might have some trouble with lowering it. I am at stock ride height now with 225/40 tires and no problems at all but I have some H&R sport springs that I am dieing to put in but I don't know if I need new wheels or not I was looking at getting some Eneki Ev5s in 18x7.5 45et will I need to roll my fenders still with the 225/40tires? H&R springs are 1.3"f, 1.2"r for the drop -thanks-
you will likely need a small roll in the rear. no big deal.
dastpe is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #57
Duk

Duk has much to be proud ofDuk has much to be proud ofDuk has much to be proud ofDuk has much to be proud ofDuk has much to be proud ofDuk has much to be proud ofDuk has much to be proud ofDuk has much to be proud of
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This was a really good read =) Im about to purchase some zr+520 in the same offsets, looks more flush then i thought it would =) !
Duk is offline   Reply With Quote