register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #1

SleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,503 Times in 831 Posts
Groans: 52
Groaned at 54 Times in 39 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Getting tires need reccomendation

I'm going to be picking up a set of XXR 527's with a +35 offset so I'll be needing new tires as well. I've been looking at the Hankook Ventus V12's and the Continental DW's. Both seem to have good reviews and more seem to be leaning towards the Continentals. I'm looking to run atleast a 235/40/18 and the Continentals actually come out about $30 cheaper as well.

I was having a hard time finding out the actual milage rating on each tire but from a few calculations I did the V12's look to last about 20k miles and the DW's about 25k miles.

Advice? Opinions?
 Old 02-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #2

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,754 Times in 2,278 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

FWIW, I'm running the DW in a 225/45 for about 6000 miles now, and if I was to go get new treads today, it would be the same DW but in a 235/40.

Surprisingly sticky bastards wet or dry, and still #2 in the tire rack ratings for Max Performance Summer
Consumer Survey Results By Category
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (02-15-2012)
 Old 02-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #3

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,632 Times in 3,121 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SleeperHatch View Post
I'm going to be picking up a set of XXR 527's with a +35 offset so I'll be needing new tires as well. I've been looking at the Hankook Ventus V12's and the Continental DW's. Both seem to have good reviews and more seem to be leaning towards the Continentals. I'm looking to run atleast a 235/40/18 and the Continentals actually come out about $30 cheaper as well.

I was having a hard time finding out the actual milage rating on each tire but from a few calculations I did the V12's look to last about 20k miles and the DW's about 25k miles.

Advice? Opinions?
If you're doing your calculations based on treadwear ratings you may find them to be sort of useless.

Different manufacturers use different standards for their ratings so, for instance, a 200 treadwear tire of one brand is not equivalent to a 200 treadwear tire of another manufacturer.

Just FYI in case you weren't aware...

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nliiitend1 For This Useful Post:
ak_spray (02-15-2012), IshiKage (02-02-2012), rfinkle2 (02-15-2012), silvapain (02-15-2012)
 Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #4

SleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the worldSleeperHatch is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Nliiitend1 View Post
If you're doing your calculations based on treadwear ratings you may find them to be sort of useless.

Different manufacturers use different standards for their ratings so, for instance, a 200 treadwear tire of one brand is not equivalent to a 200 treadwear tire of another manufacturer.

Just FYI in case you weren't aware...
Yeah thats actually what I was referring to. I see now I though it was more of an industry standard thing. Also I was thinking about getting another pair of tires, possibly the RS-3's for track days and then using the v12's or dw's for my daily tire. Advice or opinions on that?
 Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #5

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

With one set of wheels?

More options are never bad, though I run an "autocross/trackday" type street tire as my summer daily...

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Old 02-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #6

TRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cale I have V12 they are great! So far 8k on them and they look almost like new. And you remember them pulling hard on you haha *wink*

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Cobb AP E85 30% |CPE Big MAF | CPE Big TIP | CPE FMIC | SS Ex Mani | CPE Catted DP | CNT CBE | CPE Triple Gauge Pod |
Autotech HPFP Internals | Denso ITV22 | TS BPV | TWM ShortShifter | JBR Shifter Bushings | JBR 88 RMM |
Razo Heavy Shift Knob | 20% Tint | DDM 55W HID | Hankook Ventus V12 | H&R Springs
TRSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #7

TRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the worldTRSpeed is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

As for track tires get Star Specs, or Nt05 or rs3

Cobb AP E85 30% |CPE Big MAF | CPE Big TIP | CPE FMIC | SS Ex Mani | CPE Catted DP | CNT CBE | CPE Triple Gauge Pod |
Autotech HPFP Internals | Denso ITV22 | TS BPV | TWM ShortShifter | JBR Shifter Bushings | JBR 88 RMM |
Razo Heavy Shift Knob | 20% Tint | DDM 55W HID | Hankook Ventus V12 | H&R Springs
 Old 02-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

With one set of wheels?

More options are never bad, though I run an "autocross/trackday" type street tire as my summer daily...
I would use the stock rims for the track tires...what is your tire as of now for the summer daily?

Sent from my Epic Win Avatar
 Old 02-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #9

donkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm running falken azenis RT 615k's and they have a ton of grip but they wear fast. They work good in wet but they suck if its under 50*.
donkeyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #10

MS6FL is the leader of the worldMS6FL is the leader of the worldMS6FL is the leader of the worldMS6FL is the leader of the worldMS6FL is the leader of the worldMS6FL is the leader of the worldMS6FL is the leader of the worldMS6FL is the leader of the worldMS6FL is the leader of the worldMS6FL is the leader of the worldMS6FL is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,690 Times in 754 Posts
Groans: 43
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

NT05
“From a business standpoint, the Boss 302 shouldn’t have happened. But it happened. My dream for the car was that it would make a lot of money for a guy street racing. It should be a car that winds up on YouTube doing something illegal. I’ve been waiting 20-plus years to launch a car like this.”-Jim Farley
MS6FL is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by donkeyballs View Post
I'm running falken azenis RT 615k's and they have a ton of grip but they wear fast. They work good in wet but they suck if its under 50*.
How fast is fast? Lol

Old 02-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

How fast is fast? Lol

Fuck you gale I told you to get star specs! Or NT05

Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #13

donkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond reputedonkeyballs has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

How fast is fast? Lol

I don't think i even got 4k out of them but my car spins like a mofo lol. I can honestly say they hooked about the same as my BFG DR's. It depends on your power level and how you drive though.
donkeyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

Gale = Noob
Tires= 1k life lol

Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #15

08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,999 Times in 1,306 Posts
Groans: 41
Groaned at 54 Times in 43 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

V12's make a good daily tire. Good tire for the money and they seem to always have rebate offers on them. I have Bridgstone RE-11's on FD wheels as my Deals Gap set up and love them, they are pricey though.
EBTEC Manley Built // GT3071R // FreekTuned // Freek 3.5" Intake // Ported IM // Perm Plate Dual CC // Catless DP // CNT CB // Tokay V 1's // Autotech // AEM Failsafe // TR8 IC// GFB // JBR 88 RMM // DM PMM // JBR 70 TMM // ACT 6 puck prolite fly // Cobb RSB // 6 pc chassis braced // Koni FSD's // Cobb Springs // EGR Full delete // SWAS switch // SS brake lines // 100% Methanol Injection D14

____________________________________________Dragon Slayer _________________________________________________
08cosmic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok so I'm thinking v12's for daily tire and nt05 or rs3 for track depending on price

Old 02-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

I would use the stock rims for the track tires...what is your tire as of now for the summer daily?

I'd feel weird putting "track tires" on my 7" wide OEM wheels, personally...

The I just ran through a set of Hankook RS2s that I got when they were on closeout after being discontinued.

Before that, I rant a set of NT05s and before that, a set of Kumho XSs. All of these were on RX-8 wheels.

I'll probably be going back to the NT05s for my next set unless I can find a really good deal on some RS3s (only because I've yet to try them out). The NT05s are a phenomenal tire for the money, and they suit my driving well.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Old 02-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'd feel weird putting "track tires" on my 7" wide OEM wheels, personally...

The I just ran through a set of Hankook RS2s that I got when they were on closeout after being discontinued.

Before that, I rant a set of NT05s and before that, a set of Kumho XSs. All of these were on RX-8 wheels.

I'll probably be going back to the NT05s for my next set unless I can find a really good deal on some RS3s (only because I've yet to try them out). The NT05s are a phenomenal tire for the money, and they suit my driving well.
Honestly I was thinking the same thing my pops was telling me to do that instead of swapping tires on the same rim when I wanna go to the track. My buddy runs RS-3s on his s2k as a daily tire and loves them.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Cale hurry and get your shit for March 3rd Nator Drag Nigga
 Old 02-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #20

Changeling is on a distinguished road
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by TiGraySpeed6 View Post
FWIW, I'm running the DW in a 225/45 for about 6000 miles now, and if I was to go get new treads today, it would be the same DW but in a 235/40.

Surprisingly sticky bastards wet or dry, and still #2 in the tire rack ratings for Max Performance Summer
Consumer Survey Results By Category
23K miles and I'm down to 3/32 on the same size DW's. I do love the tires though. I couldn't tell they were wearing so thin until Discount Tire measured. The "D" and "W" are still in tact too, so I was like WTH?
Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #21

dastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,000 Times in 609 Posts
Groans: 21
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Advice? Opinions?
I actually run sumitomo htr z3 and like them a lot. decent all around tire, just a little treadnoise in corners.

as far as running 235 on a +35...what width? 8",8.5",9"?
dastpe is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #22

jwright32 is just really nicejwright32 is just really nicejwright32 is just really nicejwright32 is just really nice
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have had my set of hankook v12's now for about 9k miles, and they still look good. I expect to be get another 10k or so from them. Traction has been good i feel, but i think i want to try the DW's on my next set.
-- 2010 Celestial Blue Mazda Speed3 -- Cobb AP, CP-E Nano SRI ,18x8.5-e48 Rota G-Force [Hankook V12 Evo 245/40/18], Sure Motorsports Shifter Busings, JBR 80a RMM, JBR SSP, DDM 35w 6000k HID Lows/ 35w 3000k Fogs, UR Testpipe, Res. Delete, TWM M1 Abrams shift knob
jwright32 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #23

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,754 Times in 2,278 Posts
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If your looking for a tire that's sticky as hell in the wet or dry and ever so slightly softer in the sidewall to ease that daily driver commute, the DW is your huckleberry
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #24

obijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,455 Times in 646 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 70 Times in 24 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

toyo proxes 4 or t1r's.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 636 (Zx6r)- Green/ Black

2014 Honda Grom-Red

2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350- Blue

2007 Yamaha Raptor 700 GYTR- White-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
obijack is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by obijack View Post
toyo proxes 4 or t1r's.
Both of those tires are old news and have been eclipsed by several of the newer offerings available.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #26

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Right now I'm between the rs3's and star specs

Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #27

Onelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the world
Groans: 116
Groaned at 13 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i just got the v12s for $150/tire on tires-easy.com. they were rated higher than the DWs in a few reviews i came across. they are certainly stickier. but the DWs sound like good tires too and will last longer.

i feel like RS3s or Star Specs are going to perform amazing. RS3s will be more sticky but won't last as long.

Cobb AP (91 RichTune) | CS SRI/TIP | cp-e S2 RMM | SURE Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP/Counterweight | UR TP | UR CBE | AT Internals | Denso ITV22s | 35% tint | Sonic Tuning HIDs | MD OCC | JBR TIGs | TSW Nurburgring 18x8.5+45 245/40/18 v12 evo2
Onelovesoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #28

mzr0818 is the leader of the worldmzr0818 is the leader of the worldmzr0818 is the leader of the worldmzr0818 is the leader of the worldmzr0818 is the leader of the worldmzr0818 is the leader of the worldmzr0818 is the leader of the worldmzr0818 is the leader of the worldmzr0818 is the leader of the worldmzr0818 is the leader of the worldmzr0818 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,910 Times in 2,220 Posts
Groans: 221
Groaned at 18 Times in 13 Posts

Ventus v12's on for 30k miles and 4/32" now all the way around. goos sticky tire for daily use

Beating Black women one 5.0 at a time...

2008 mazdaspeed 3 true red
Tuned by Nishan
, 33% E85, GTX3067r Boost?, Yeah I got some., Port and polish manifold, XS power Tubular Exhaust Manifold, Wiesco pistons, K1 rods, L19 head studs, ARP crank studs, Cobb three port EBCS, Forge BPV, CXRacing FMIC with TR8 core, cobb AP V2, EBC redstuff full, DBA 4000 rotors 6x6 slotted, HTP 3" full intake, JBR 88d rmm, JBR 80d pmm, JBR 80d tmm, CNT catted DP, Magnaflow CBE, KMD internals, Koni Yellows, Moog endlinks, Moog lower control arms, OZ ultraleggera 18x8, Mich Pilot Super Sports 235/40/18, Hotchkis RSB, NGK step colder plugs.

Build in progress. Track whore in the making.
mzr0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #29

obijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the worldobijack is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,455 Times in 646 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 70 Times in 24 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Both of those tires are old news and have been eclipsed by several of the newer offerings available.
As far as tred wear compared to grip its hard to beat the t1r's. I had
225/40/18 and paid 122 per tire.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 636 (Zx6r)- Green/ Black

2014 Honda Grom-Red

2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350- Blue

2007 Yamaha Raptor 700 GYTR- White-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
obijack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to obijack For This Useful Post:
bazzarino (03-18-2012)
 Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #30

kylec_2003 has a reputation beyond reputekylec_2003 has a reputation beyond reputekylec_2003 has a reputation beyond reputekylec_2003 has a reputation beyond reputekylec_2003 has a reputation beyond reputekylec_2003 has a reputation beyond reputekylec_2003 has a reputation beyond reputekylec_2003 has a reputation beyond reputekylec_2003 has a reputation beyond reputekylec_2003 has a reputation beyond reputekylec_2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Anyone ever run the BF Goodrich g-force KDW's? I ran them on my last car and liked them but I didn't corner as hard in that car.