register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #1

bova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,490 Times in 876 Posts
Groans: 45
Groaned at 39 Times in 38 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Kumho Ecsta 4x Tire Review

So I just put on my Kumho Ecsta 4x Tires yesterday, 215/45/18, mounted on stock rims. These are all season tires and are replacing the ASX line. These will be replacing my summer Hankook Ventus v12's (225/45/18) mounted on Rota P1 wheels. I picked the 4x's up at a good price from tire rack for $550 shipped.

Drove about 15 miles with them so far and they offer a nice smooth ride. Dry handling seems pretty good, maybe a little looser than the Hankook's. Not only was the ride more smooth, but they are a hell of a lot quieter than the Hankook's.

I'll keep this thread updated and see how they do in wet conditions and also through a Pittsburgh winter.

I bought these to run full time now as I'll be selling my Rota's.

Last edited by bova; 11-02-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
bova is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bova For This Useful Post:
FightaX (12-16-2011), rfinkle2 (01-03-2012), speedms6 (11-02-2011)
 Old 11-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #2

Macedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,218 Times in 519 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i'm interested to see how they do..my speed has aging Ecsta ASX's that came on it when i bought it a few months ago..i've generally had good luck out of Kuhmo other than it seems they wear pretty quick
Macedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 AM   #3

bova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

i've got about 1000 miles on these tires now and they handle great so far. real good in the rain and even better when it's dry. we'll have to see how things go when it starts snowing.
 Old 12-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #4

Mistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i dunno if its ever gonna start snowing up here. i'm about due for new tires as well so i'm subbin for further impressions.
Mistersix is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #5

RichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,320 Times in 1,452 Posts
Groans: 35
Groaned at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

saw a commercial yesterday for these tires...had a mustang riding around on a beach as if the damn thing was AWD...lol
CP-e Atmosphere GTX3076r w1.06 Tial | JMF IM | NATOR D.C. FMIC | JBR Wide Path | Autotech Internals | HKS SSQV2 | Ebay DP | Denso ITV24 | CP-e RDM | AutoExe Strut Tower Bar | Whiteline RSB | Sonic Tuning Coils | DSS Driver Side Axle | JMF OCC

BT - 395 awhp 345 awtq @ Moore Automotive 4/12/2014 on 93 octane
Stock Turbo - 331 awhp 397 awtq @ Moore Automotive 11/10/2012 on ~e48
12.263 @ 111.75 mph 1.669 60' 11/17/2012

RichieRichness is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #6

speedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@bova80 any updates? thoughts?
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 - Ptp SST, Cobb AP, SSP 3.5" Intake, SURE Sidewinder, Autotech HPFP Internals, PTP 2150 psi HPRV, Cp-e Injector Seals, PTP Injector Studs, Jbarone TIG's, VTCS Delete, ETS 3.25" TMIC, M2 Catless Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, MD OCC, Denso ITV 22, H & R springs, Energy Suspension Rear Sway Bar Bushings, Dashhawk, Hawk HPs Pads, Centric Rotors, Street Unit Rear Motor Mount, TWM Stage II Shifter with Solid Bushings and Weighted Shift Knob, Autometer Mechanical Boost Gauge
speedms6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

i think they are a great tire, they are quiet, handle well in wet and dry. still waiting for some snow to give them that final test.
The Following User Says Thank You to bova For This Useful Post:
speedms6 (12-13-2011)
 Old 12-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #8

speedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

thanks, probably gonna need new tires soon, leaning towards these, just havent seen many reviews yet because they are pretty new
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 - Ptp SST, Cobb AP, SSP 3.5" Intake, SURE Sidewinder, Autotech HPFP Internals, PTP 2150 psi HPRV, Cp-e Injector Seals, PTP Injector Studs, Jbarone TIG's, VTCS Delete, ETS 3.25" TMIC, M2 Catless Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, MD OCC, Denso ITV 22, H & R springs, Energy Suspension Rear Sway Bar Bushings, Dashhawk, Hawk HPs Pads, Centric Rotors, Street Unit Rear Motor Mount, TWM Stage II Shifter with Solid Bushings and Weighted Shift Knob, Autometer Mechanical Boost Gauge
 Old 12-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #9

tddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,184 Posts
Groans: 103
Groaned at 86 Times in 55 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i was checking these out.

however, i ended up going with another set of fierce instinct in 215 45 18. i am replacing a set of fierce's that i've worn through. they were great. almost as crisp as eagle gt in the dry, awesome in the rain, reasonable in snow.. i got mine for $600 installed from sams club.

just thought i'd throw that out there, another solid all season tire that is cheap and made in the usa.
2008 ms3 mit: hypertech tune, pg sri, corksport tip, jbr(80 tmm, 88 rmm, 80 pmm), jbarone bushings + heavy shift knob, diy sts, sure ssp, sensen shocks, jbr rsb, ford transfluid, aura 5 channel amp, jbl gt speakers, 6" bazooka sub, diy mudflaps, DDM 3000k HID fog kit, 6000k lows
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tddvrrn is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #10

FightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the world
Groans: 32
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just got the same set on my stock rims. Broke em in and damn they handle pretty well. In the rain I'm going 80-100 on the highway no hydroplane or anything. Its not loud, grips well, and hell of a price.
2007 MS3 GT - Mazdaspeed CAI, Corksport Downpipe, Corksport Testpipe, HKS-CBE w/resonator delete, CP-E 75 RMM, Koni Yellows, H&R Springs, Greddy Type S Bov, Denso ITV 22s, Autotech Internals, Accessport Tuned (Thanks Phate!) ^^ - RIP 5/29/13, You will be missed <3

2013 MS3 - Mazdaspeed Intake, Turbo XS DP & TP, Ultimate Racing CBE, Greddy Type S Bov, Autotech Internals, AP OTS MAP ( Awaiting Tune )
FightaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FightaX For This Useful Post:
speedms6 (01-03-2012)
 Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

today was the first day i got to use them in the snow and i'll say they didn't pretty good. i didn't get to test them to their full potential because my normal commute to work of 10min took 45min, ugh people are idiots.

but they seemed to grip pretty good in the snow, will post some more updates later.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bova For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (12-31-2012), speedms6 (01-03-2012)
 Old 01-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

@bova80 i tihnk i will be getting these shortly, luckily it hasnt really snowed in NY yet bc my rear tires are both almost done for, out of curiosity how come you went with 215/45/18 instead of the 225/45/18 you previously had? i've read that 225 fit with no problems on stock rims figured you would want more tire
 Old 01-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

215/45/18 are the stock size and they were cheaper then the 225/45/18. in snow a thinner tire is better, not that 10mm is really going to do much.
 Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

i hear ya, did you ever feel like the wider tires side walls were more unstable? or soft then the thinner tires you have now?
 Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

i don't think so. i don't think you are going to feel a difference in 10mm. i ran 225/45/18 because it's easy to find tires in that size. and my summer tires are 225/45/18 because they are on an 8" wheel unlike the stock 7".
The Following User Says Thank You to bova For This Useful Post:
speedms6 (01-03-2012)
 Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #16

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Thanked 33,220 Times in 10,051 Posts
Groans: 298
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@Broxer is looking for all seasons and would be interested in this thread.
rfinkle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rfinkle2 For This Useful Post:
Broxer (01-03-2012), FightaX (01-03-2012)
 Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #17

FightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the worldFightaX is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Update* I've ran these so far for about 3K miles. They are pretty good solid tires, and a good price.
2007 MS3 GT - Mazdaspeed CAI, Corksport Downpipe, Corksport Testpipe, HKS-CBE w/resonator delete, CP-E 75 RMM, Koni Yellows, H&R Springs, Greddy Type S Bov, Denso ITV 22s, Autotech Internals, Accessport Tuned (Thanks Phate!) ^^ - RIP 5/29/13, You will be missed <3

2013 MS3 - Mazdaspeed Intake, Turbo XS DP & TP, Ultimate Racing CBE, Greddy Type S Bov, Autotech Internals, AP OTS MAP ( Awaiting Tune )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FightaX For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (01-04-2012), speedms6 (01-05-2012)
 Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #18

Macedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the worldMacedawg is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

@bova80 i just ordered a set from Discount Tire direct today

$448 shipped for 225/40/18 with a $50 VISA giftcard and another $30 VISA for using their credit card..6 months no interest..hope i can chime in and help ya review these soon
The Following User Says Thank You to Macedawg For This Useful Post:
fengrs (01-22-2012)
 Old 01-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

it's been a milder winter here but we've got some snow and I have had no issues with these tires and grip. I'd highly recommend them for anyone that wants a good all season.
 Old 01-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

I drove through mild snow, which held up pretty well, but when it was like 4-5 inches+, they are not snow tires, but the drive was not that bad. Just drive regularly, and don't gas hard and you will be fine. Overall, price + performance from these tires, I love em, for now

Old 02-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #21

06spd6 is a name known to all06spd6 is a name known to all06spd6 is a name known to all06spd6 is a name known to all06spd6 is a name known to all06spd6 is a name known to all
Groans: 0
Groaned at 14 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I should be picking up a set of these shortly.
06spd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

Mine have been great so far..no snow yet but I've driven in some awful rain and they have great grip
 Old 02-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #23

06spd6 is a name known to all06spd6 is a name known to all06spd6 is a name known to all06spd6 is a name known to all06spd6 is a name known to all06spd6 is a name known to all
Groaned at 14 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Macedawg
Mine have been great so far..no snow yet but I've driven in some awful rain and they have great grip
That's good to hear. I live in the desert at the moment, but hopefully will be moving somewhere with some actually weather besides heat. We do get the occasional snow/ice here, and last time we did my Toyo Proxes 4 didn't fair too well. There's nothing better to get your heart pumping than sliding into an intersection...
06spd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 06spd6 View Post
That's good to hear. I live in the desert at the moment, but hopefully will be moving somewhere with some actually weather besides heat. We do get the occasional snow/ice here, and last time we did my Toyo Proxes 4 didn't fair too well. There's nothing better to get your heart pumping than sliding into an intersection...
make sure u check out discountiredirect, they had a great deal on em
The Following User Says Thank You to Macedawg For This Useful Post:
Mistersix (02-03-2012)
 Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #25

MammaFreed3 is infamous around these partsMammaFreed3 is infamous around these partsMammaFreed3 is infamous around these parts
Groaned at 37 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

tire time for me.

went to the Mazda stealer again this weekend because i still can't find where the stank is coming from when I turn the A/C on (had the cabin filter replaced, freezy fresh, some leaves and pine needles dug outta there.....still got some funk) and they reminded me that my tires are getting pretty low so it's time to drop some more coin.

they offered to put on a set of Kumho Ecsta KU31, $611 + tax for tires/mounting/balancing/powder on my balls, nitrogen fill and 2 year road hazard.

they seem to run around $520+ tax/shipping for a set of 4 online, wondering if anyone has a secret website that is selling them cheaper.

also, wanted to ask about the tires themselves. the car is 100% daily driver, no racing of any kind and i live in Georgia so no snow.
MammaFreed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

*Update. Tires have about 18K miles on them. They are at least half tread left, and still perform well. Kumho states they have 40,000 miles on them and are warrantied until then. I will most likely be buying another set of these for future use.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FightaX For This Useful Post:
Mase (10-23-2012), tddvrrn (10-22-2012)
 Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #27

dhoss19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I bought these tires from tire rack back in June... And they did perform well.. Only serious problem I Have is that I have put maybe 8-9000 miles on them and they are already bald. The back two are completely worn and the front are to the wear bar. I do get on my car a bit but no more than the next guy and have no track time on them at all. I wish I knew why I burnt threw them so quick, especially after reading everyone else's praise...... Gonna look into it more.
dhoss19 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #28

Neutral  +1 score     

Update* I've been on these tires for over 20,000 miles, and they are still pretty good, still have half tread left. Probably good for another 15-20K miles. As long as you rotate every so often, and don't drive like a maniac they should last.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #29

cessnan1315efw has a spectacular aura aboutcessnan1315efw has a spectacular aura about
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just put these on my car after having the previous serious ecstas on my car. good feel, great grip, and quiet. I would definitely recommend these tires for anyone. great price for what you get.
cessnan1315efw is offline   Reply With Quote