register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By phate
  • 1 Post By shamie

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
Banned

license2ill is infamous around these partslicense2ill is infamous around these parts
Groans: 30
Groaned at 132 Times in 57 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Offset Effects

Apparently wheel size and offset is not just a matter of fitting the fenders and inner suspension components. I've been looking at wheel and tire combos along with possible spring changes and have come across some good info in this article(it's about Hondas, but still gives a great overview of issues not often discussed):

Wheel Offset: Why it Matters - Guide To Proper Honda Wheel Offset - Honda Tuning Magazine

A couple things that seem noteworthy are about offset is how it relates to scrub radius and steering angle, which relates to torque steer and also to braking stability, and stability when traction at each corner varies.

The other big tidbit I noted is the mention of how a lower offset can make a difference in spring rates due to the distance of the wheel which creates additional leverage on the strut. They quote a 10mm decrease in offset created a 5% reduction in spring rate in the example application of an Integra.

It can also affect wheel bearing loads, and only a +35mm on a raced CRX broke the steering knuckles multiple times.

I just ordered 7.5" wheels with +45mm offset. I hope the benefits outweigh any negative effects of what amounts to a 13mm reduction, but it also looks like my planned purchase of stiffer springs could be a better idea than originally thought too.
license2ill is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #2

Design is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,032 Times in 624 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

IMHO anything under a 5-10 mm delta won't significantly alter the driving behavior of our cars. Not unless running 235 series tires or greater.

Ownership & Build Thread
Design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Design For This Useful Post:
license2ill (02-18-2015)
 Old 02-18-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,725 Times in 5,871 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by license2ill View Post
The other big tidbit I noted is the mention of how a lower offset can make a difference in spring rates due to the distance of the wheel which creates additional leverage on the strut. They quote a 10mm decrease in offset created a 5% reduction in spring rate in the example application of an Integra.
I REALLY doubt it's actually a 5% decrease in wheel rate for that tiny increase in offset. Do the math for it.

It can also affect wheel bearing loads, and only a +35mm on a raced CRX broke the steering knuckles multiple times.
There are guys running SLICKS with this car on WAY wider wheels.

You're making mountains out of mole hills, AGAIN. Apply some sense to these questions and you'll probably be ok.
RalliartRsX likes this.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (02-20-2015), speed3 britz (02-18-2015), WetzMS3 (02-18-2015)
 Old 02-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
Banned

license2ill is infamous around these partslicense2ill is infamous around these parts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Design View Post
IMHO anything under a 5-10 mm delta won't significantly alter the driving behavior of our cars. Not unless running 235 series tires or greater.
Yeah, and tire sizes vs actual measured section widths and tread widths can vary a lot too. In my quest for a slightly wider footprint, I found very little to no actual tread width gains to be found between 225 to 245 sizes, and it would be even less without using 8-9" wide wheels.

I suppose I could have found a 50mm offset in a wider rim, but that would only bring it back less than half the distance it will get pushed out with another 1/2-inch more width.

I'm guessing Mazda went through all this between gen changes too, and that's why a 225 on a 7.5" wheel was as far as they would go for the 2010 makeover.
 Old 02-20-2015, 05:42 AM   #5
Banned

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phate View Post
I REALLY doubt it's actually a 5% decrease in wheel rate for that tiny increase in offset. Do the math for it.
Yeah, I was surprised by this as well. I don't know what the specific math is, but would guess that specific wheel and tire weight also makes a difference. At what point do they intersect and cancel-out? I don't know.

It makes me wonder if this could possibly explain the differences in reported spring rates between generations though, since no one seems to know for sure about those numbers...wheel weights are the same, offsets same, but 7.5" wheel pushes it out 6-7mm, I think.
 Old 02-20-2015, 06:02 AM   #6

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

offsets same, but 7.5" wheel pushes it out 6-7mm, I think.
If the offsets are the same it doesn't push it out at all - unless your wheel is wider than your tire. Plug your numbers into any wheel size calculator and you'll see.
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com
Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, BSD, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
shamie is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #7
Banned

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by shamie View Post
If the offsets are the same it doesn't push it out at all - unless your wheel is wider than your tire. Plug your numbers into any wheel size calculator and you'll see.
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com
Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit
It doesn't change the track, or the centerline of the tire, but the wheel is mounted further 1/4" out with a 1/2" width gain because the mounting face is moved 1/4" out to maintain the same offset length. It still pokes 6.4mm further away from the hub.
 Old 02-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,725 Times in 5,871 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, I was surprised by this as well. I don't know what the specific math is, but would guess that specific wheel and tire weight also makes a difference. At what point do they intersect and cancel-out? I don't know.

It makes me wonder if this could possibly explain the differences in reported spring rates between generations though, since no one seems to know for sure about those numbers...wheel weights are the same, offsets same, but 7.5" wheel pushes it out 6-7mm, I think.
Wheel and tire weights aren't considered in your wheel rates, only the geometry. I don't know the MS3 arm dimensions, so here's an example:

12" LCA pivot to wheel centerline compared to a 12.25" LCA pivot to wheel centerline, same bump force. The ratio of forces is just 12.25/12 = 1.021. It takes 1.021 times as much force to react the bump force.

BUT, in terms of roll resistance, a wider track increases roll resistance. Using the MS6 track width of 60.2" compared to a 60.7" track width (increase of ~6mm both sides), the roll resistance increases 1.63%. Should be similar for an MS3.

See why I say you should just measure everything and build a calculator?

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phate For This Useful Post:
Nliiitend1 (02-20-2015), RalliartRsX (02-20-2015), WetzMS3 (02-20-2015)
 Old 02-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #9

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,632 Times in 3,121 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phate View Post
Wheel and tire weights aren't considered in your wheel rates, only the geometry. I don't know the MS3 arm dimensions, so here's an example:

12" LCA pivot to wheel centerline compared to a 12.25" LCA pivot to wheel centerline, same bump force. The ratio of forces is just 12.25/12 = 1.021. It takes 1.021 times as much force to react the bump force.

BUT, in terms of roll resistance, a wider track increases roll resistance. Using the MS6 track width of 60.2" compared to a 60.7" track width (increase of ~6mm both sides), the roll resistance increases 1.63%. Should be similar for an MS3.

See why I say you should just measure everything and build a calculator?
^This.

Stop making things more complicated than they are.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nliiitend1 For This Useful Post:
phate (02-20-2015), speed3 britz (02-24-2015), WetzMS3 (02-20-2015)
 Old 02-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #10

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

It doesn't change the track, or the centerline of the tire, but the wheel is mounted further 1/4" out with a 1/2" width gain because the mounting face is moved 1/4" out to maintain the same offset length. It still pokes 6.4mm further away from the hub.
The wheel pokes further but since the centerline doesn't change the tire remains in the same spot and does not poke at all.
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, BSD, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
 Old 02-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
Banned

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by shamie View Post
The wheel pokes further but since the centerline doesn't change the tire remains in the same spot and does not poke at all.
On a wider wheel, the same offset measurement is closer to the center of the wheel, so it pokes. If you ran an offset 6mm greater than the original offset on a wheel 0.5" wider, it would remain the same.
 Old 02-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

The offset is measured from the center line of the wheel not the edge.
license2ill likes this.