register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-19-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,994 Times in 8,188 Posts
Groans: 244
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Default Ok, i need tires..

So my tires are looking pretty tore up after 16K... and to be honest, im sick of these 215s on an 8 inch wheel.

I really really want to squeeze 245s under this thing.. so.. what is your recommendations for tires to look at? Ill be doing the coilovers at the same time btw.

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #2

gsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,678 Times in 712 Posts
Groans: 102
Groaned at 232 Times in 155 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i have 235/40's definatly more traction BUT you can say goodbye to the light nice feeling of the steering.. plus taking hard fast turns it seems it doesn't feel as stable. If i could go back i prob would have gone 225/45-or40..
 Old 06-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #3

aaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,465 Times in 2,601 Posts
Groans: 370
Groaned at 171 Times in 143 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

^ but dont you have 235/40 on the stock 7" wheels?
aaronc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)

Hmm, well taking high speed turns on 215's isnt a very good feeling either.

An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
 Old 06-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #5

gsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
^ but dont you have 235/40 on the stock 7" wheels?
yes i do, it may make a diff with diff wheel
 Old 06-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #6

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Haltech View Post
Hmm, well taking high speed turns on 215's isnt a very good feeling either.
feels safer-better with 215 than 235... on the stock wheel
 Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #7

Not Ranked  0 score     

foward traction is definatly improved though with the wider tire
 Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #8

aaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,465 Times in 2,601 Posts
Groans: 370
Groaned at 171 Times in 143 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have 235/40 on a 7.5. Feels like maybe i should have went with a slightly more narrow tire (225). According to some tire specs I just looked up, 235/40 or 245/40 should be OK iwth 8" wide wheels.

With that said, I'll probably be getting different wheels soon (8"), I will try to squeeze 245s in.
aaronc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #9

redrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 4
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

when you figure out which ones you want let me know I may be able to help you out with prices.
redrocketz is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
Eatin' Your Tuna

(Thread Starter)

Zach, thats the problem. I dont know which ones would fit. Ive heard of some guys who have made it work, but its not discussed in length. ill be forced to go local to see if this can be done. i dunno, maybe i would be better off with 225 but than again, that wouldnt be going extreme either and i want extreme tires

The Following User Says Thank You to Haltech For This Useful Post:
kpsoerensen (05-27-2010)
 Old 06-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #11

blaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud of
Groans: 9
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The Dunlop Z1 Star Spec seem to be all the rage right now. On a 8" wide wheel I think you can run these at 225 and have it not be too tight. If I decide to go with these tires, that's the size I will run on my 16x8.

Here's a link that compares the Dunlops at 235 to Hankooks at 225

SCCAForums.com - Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1

Looks like a much bigger difference than 10mm.
blaggah is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-19-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
Eatin' Your Tuna

(Thread Starter)

Thanks blag. I did go with a 8 inch wheel to run a bigger tire than a 225 though. That gives me a brand to start with at least. Ill keep you updated on my findings.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #13

Anklh has a reputation beyond reputeAnklh has a reputation beyond reputeAnklh has a reputation beyond reputeAnklh has a reputation beyond reputeAnklh has a reputation beyond reputeAnklh has a reputation beyond reputeAnklh has a reputation beyond reputeAnklh has a reputation beyond reputeAnklh has a reputation beyond reputeAnklh has a reputation beyond reputeAnklh has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 16
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I went with SO3's 225/45 on my 18x8 48 off rim

Soon as I wear those down I will be deciding between 245/40's with Bridgestone Potenza REO50A Pole Position, Yokohama (if I can find Neova's in that size), Goodyear or the new "dark horse"...Sumitomo HTR Z lll, which TireRack raves about.
Anklh is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 AM   #14

mdogg is the leader of the worldmdogg is the leader of the worldmdogg is the leader of the worldmdogg is the leader of the worldmdogg is the leader of the worldmdogg is the leader of the worldmdogg is the leader of the worldmdogg is the leader of the worldmdogg is the leader of the worldmdogg is the leader of the worldmdogg is the leader of the world
Groans: 86
Groaned at 36 Times in 25 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sumitomo HTR Z III - Max Performance Summer tires 245/40/18

I got them only $500 shipped from TireRack
300 treadwear rating
Amazing grip so far in dry weather - I haven't "tested" on anything wet yet...

They are so cheap that even if they aren't the perfect tire for you, you wouldn't feel so bad about ditching them.

What's your price range? Knowing the little about you I do know.... that's probably a dumb question though. If you want something grippier - I would say the BFG KD.... (not the KDW) but those are quite a bit pricier - something in the $250/wheel range IIRC
 Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 AM   #15

ztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default >>>

Not sure if you are willing to try this but i am thinking of going 245/45/17's vs 18s. This should should give me more width (lateral grip )as well as a taller sidewall which should help straightline traction. Downside might be reduction in steering response.

Harry
ztuner is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #16
Eatin' Your Tuna

(Thread Starter)

I really didnt want to go 17's but i also dont like the fact i need to go 40's on an 18. Either way, it sucks but i got to make due with what i got now. I hate small wheels for daily driving.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #17

blaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud ofblaggah has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well at leas you have more options on 17" and 18" wheels. Options for a 16" in a wider tire are very limited, not much larger than 225/50(55)-16, only a few 245/50-16 and I have not been able to find anything at 235/xx-16
 Old 06-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #18
Banned

Laloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the world
Thanked 18,726 Times in 896 Posts
Groans: 57
Groaned at 196 Times in 127 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

go with 235/40/18 falken 615s or kumho mxs
azenis if ure autox
mxs if u drive hard on the street
Laloosh is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

What's the everyone's opinion of General UHP's? I don't autoX, mostly a daily driver car for me with the occasional spirited canyon run.

For my future wheels size, they are the lightest "performance" wheels I've found. 21lbs a tire + 15.5lbs a wheel should be a nice drop from the stock setup.
 Old 06-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #20

MadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Anklh View Post
I went with SO3's 225/45 on my 18x8 48 off rim

Soon as I wear those down I will be deciding between 245/40's with Bridgestone Potenza REO50A Pole Position, Yokohama (if I can find Neova's in that size), Goodyear or the new "dark horse"...Sumitomo HTR Z lll, which TireRack raves about.
I still have the stock 215/45/18s on my 18x8 +48 rims. As soon as those are worn down, I also plan on 245/40/18s since that size gives the same tire height as the stockers at 25.7"

Only suspension mod I plan on doing is the Cobb rear sway. Only lowering I'll do is if Stretch comes through with new springs/koni yellow setup through CPE.
11 BLACK SUZUKI GSX-R750 - totaled
11 BLACK SUZUKI GSX-R750 - totaled...again
*OFFICIALLY RETIRED FROM TWO WHEELS*
MadOzodi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #21
Eatin' Your Tuna

(Thread Starter)

That Koni setup would really be badass if that goes through!

Well, option 1, 2 and 3 is for 245/40/18... only option 4, less than 245 will go into affect if i cant get this to work, but im going to try my hardest.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #22

ztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the worldztuner is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by blaggah View Post
What's the everyone's opinion of General UHP's? I don't autoX, mostly a daily driver car for me with the occasional spirited canyon run.

For my future wheels size, they are the lightest "performance" wheels I've found. 21lbs a tire + 15.5lbs a wheel should be a nice drop from the stock setup.
i use the generals on my infiniti - i have to say great tire fore the money - excellent ride , very good grip but sidewalls are soft so turnin is a bit squishy

Harry
ztuner is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #23

Demi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,124 Times in 220 Posts
Groans: 61
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well i went with Nitto NT-555s. Got em cheap too.
2-Day Parts - Search Results Here are some good prices.
Amazing tire. Slayed the 2nd gear wheel spin monster (mostly its still a 225), and the cornering improvement is phenomenal. I went with 225/40/18 because im still running stockers, but the have all the sizes you could want. I think I have found my tire of choice. They look sick as balls on the car too.

-And for the rest of you, if it comes from Autozone and doesnt replace something that broke off your car or make your cabin smell like Coco Butter, its fucking rice.

Demi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #24

redrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond reputeredrocketz has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 4
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Demi View Post
Well i went with Nitto NT-555s. Got em cheap too.
2-Day Parts - Search Results Here are some good prices.
Amazing tire. Slayed the 2nd gear wheel spin monster (mostly its still a 225), and the cornering improvement is phenomenal. I went with 225/40/18 because im still running stockers, but the have all the sizes you could want. I think I have found my tire of choice. They look sick as balls on the car too.
I had 555's on my last car and loved them but any sign of rain and I was hanging on for dear life it seemed.
redrocketz is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #25
Eatin' Your Tuna

(Thread Starter)

Originally Posted by redrocketz View Post
I had 555's on my last car and loved them but any sign of rain and I was hanging on for dear life it seemed.
I had those on my Cobra and felt the same way.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #26

Demi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the worldDemi is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,124 Times in 220 Posts
Groans: 61
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Lol i live in AZ so i have no idea.

-And for the rest of you, if it comes from Autozone and doesnt replace something that broke off your car or make your cabin smell like Coco Butter, its fucking rice.

Demi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-21-2008, 09:30 PM   #27
Young Roids
Lurkers

I haven't ran them but I have heard the hankook Ventus R-S2 is about as good as the falken azenis 615 so they may be worth a try.

Hey demi, how does it feel cornering with those 225s on your 7 inch rims? Because I am debating weather or not to run 235s on 7.5 inch rims wich would be about the same amount over.
 Old 06-21-2008, 11:26 PM   #28

Radar_This is the leader of the worldRadar_This is the leader of the worldRadar_This is the leader of the worldRadar_This is the leader of the worldRadar_This is the leader of the worldRadar_This is the leader of the worldRadar_This is the leader of the worldRadar_This is the leader of the worldRadar_This is the leader of the worldRadar_This is the leader of the worldRadar_This is the leader of the world
Groaned at 13 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i am running toyo 225/45's...love them...
Radar_This is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-22-2008, 06:10 AM   #29

CMESCOOT is the leader of the worldCMESCOOT is the leader of the worldCMESCOOT is the leader of the worldCMESCOOT is the leader of the worldCMESCOOT is the leader of the worldCMESCOOT is the leader of the worldCMESCOOT is the leader of the worldCMESCOOT is the leader of the worldCMESCOOT is the leader of the worldCMESCOOT is the leader of the worldCMESCOOT is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,902 Times in 94 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

check out the nitto envo's.

Making the world a safer place one Taliban at a time.

Arias 8.8:1 Pistons - Pauter rods - Balance Shaft Delete - ARP Head Studs - Street Unit Rear Motor Mount - TurboXS Hybrid BOV - TurboXS Downpipe - - TurboXS FMIC - CP-E CAI - Custom Built/ported and polished Turbo and Wastegate - CP-E Engine Management - Upgraded high pressure fuel pump - PG Turbo Exhaust manifold - PG Dash mount gauge pod - Cooling Mist Progressive Methanol Injection - Apexi TT - VEI gauges (oil pressure, boost ) - Dashhawk -LaminX Fog lights - H&R Sport Springs - Cobb Rear Sway Bar - Tenzo DC-s wrapped in Nitto InVo's - TWM short throw shifter and bushings
CMESCOOT is offline   Reply With Quote