register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeff23spl

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

HaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud of
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Optimal setup for 255's?

I am a suspension/wheel noob. I can rebuild motors but when it comes to wheels offsets and width of tires, I don't know much. With that being said, I've gone over the "WILL IT FIT" post many times, but I still don't know what the hell I need lol..

Desired set-up: 255's for traction when I put down 500+whp. With some wheels that I like (ill look once I know what size/offset to get). And a flush look. I don't mind going 17's or stay 18's. But I'd like to get a flush look and being able to run 255's with no rubbing.

I have bilstein B12's on stock springs currently, which ill be going to probably Swift springs for a stiffer spring (I've read they're good springs to pair with bilsteins). But open to other suggestions.

So.... What wheel size do I look for, to avoid needing spacers, and fender rolling if possible. I understand avoiding rolling isn't a guarantee.

Thanks guys
2008 Ms3 Black Mica R.I.P. March 2008 - March 2016. MODS: HTP 3" intake, CX Racing FMIC with TR8 core, BNR S3, AP V3, Kozmic EGR delete, Matt Damond OCC, JBR short shift plate with bushings, HIDS, CP-E injector seals, TIG, 1 step colder plugs, Grimspeed EBCS, CS RMM, JBR passenger MM, motor craft tranny fluid, Autotech Internals

Current:
08.5 Ms3 cwp GT: Built block (sp63 4032 pistons, eagle h beams, CA625+ rod bolts/head studs, arp main studs, key'd crank, supertech 55lb valve springs, bsd delete, Block/pistons/rings/bearings WPC treated), HTP 4" intake, bnr S5 turbo (when it comes out), HTP hotside under route pipes, TR8 core, custom made cold pipes, ST intake mani, TIG, CP-E downpipe, CNT CBE, autotech hpfp, AP V3, grimmspeed ebcs, GA v3, TWM short shift assembly, JBR short shift plate, HFS-4 Meth kit, HTP front mount custom meth tank, damond motor mount trilogy, damond 3 port pcv plate, dual damond catch cans (one vented), step colder plugs, corksport injector seals, GFB bov, 51r battery, Bilstein B8 shocks, OZ ultralegga rims, custom oem clutch with Kevlar, Gen 2 trans.

2003 Mazdaspeed protégé (spicy orange); pope E manifold and DP, injen cai, PoS fmic kit, Twisted motion gt2871 turbo, aem fic-6.
HaXiR is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #2

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The honest answer is it all depends on everything.

The Gen Ones have a window you have to get into where the fronts don't rub the suspension and the rears don't rub the fenders. Rolling and spacers will most likely be your friend - or get different wheel offsets front and rear.
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, BSD, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
shamie is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #3

HaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud ofHaXiR has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by shamie View Post
The honest answer is it all depends on everything.

The Gen Ones have a window you have to get into where the fronts don't rub the suspension and the rears don't rub the fenders. Rolling and spacers will most likely be your friend - or get different wheel offsets front and rear.
Yeah that's my dilemma, what offsets would be needed if someone knows based on experience
2008 Ms3 Black Mica R.I.P. March 2008 - March 2016. MODS: HTP 3" intake, CX Racing FMIC with TR8 core, BNR S3, AP V3, Kozmic EGR delete, Matt Damond OCC, JBR short shift plate with bushings, HIDS, CP-E injector seals, TIG, 1 step colder plugs, Grimspeed EBCS, CS RMM, JBR passenger MM, motor craft tranny fluid, Autotech Internals

Current:
08.5 Ms3 cwp GT: Built block (sp63 4032 pistons, eagle h beams, CA625+ rod bolts/head studs, arp main studs, key'd crank, supertech 55lb valve springs, bsd delete, Block/pistons/rings/bearings WPC treated), HTP 4" intake, bnr S5 turbo (when it comes out), HTP hotside under route pipes, TR8 core, custom made cold pipes, ST intake mani, TIG, CP-E downpipe, CNT CBE, autotech hpfp, AP V3, grimmspeed ebcs, GA v3, TWM short shift assembly, JBR short shift plate, HFS-4 Meth kit, HTP front mount custom meth tank, damond motor mount trilogy, damond 3 port pcv plate, dual damond catch cans (one vented), step colder plugs, corksport injector seals, GFB bov, 51r battery, Bilstein B8 shocks, OZ ultralegga rims, custom oem clutch with Kevlar, Gen 2 trans.

2003 Mazdaspeed protégé (spicy orange); pope E manifold and DP, injen cai, PoS fmic kit, Twisted motion gt2871 turbo, aem fic-6.
 Old 06-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #4

Federighi is on a distinguished road
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

You'll need a min rim width of 9.0 to fit 255 correctly. 17 or 18 is up to you (tires for 17's are much cheaper). Offset depends on many things; I've got camber plates in the front and adjustable arms in the rear.

My current street set: BBS Type CH 18x8.0 +38 225/40's Hankook v12 evo / Track set: Volk Racing GT-P 17x9.0 +42 255/40 Toyo r888r
@-2.0 camber all around.

*previously ran: SSR GTV01 18x8.5 +44 245/40 Dunlop Sport MaxxRT & same Volks with 255/40 Hankook Rs-3.

GL!

Last edited by Federighi; 06-03-2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: More Tire/Wheel Info
Federighi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-04-2019, 07:34 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Federighi View Post
You'll need a min rim width of 9.0 to fit 255 correctly. 17 or 18 is up to you (tires for 17's are much cheaper). Offset depends on many things; I've got camber plates in the front and adjustable arms in the rear.

My current street set: BBS Type CH 18x8.0 +38 225/40's Hankook v12 evo / Track set: Volk Racing GT-P 17x9.0 +42 255/40 Toyo r888r
@-2.0 camber all around.

*previously ran: SSR GTV01 18x8.5 +44 245/40 Dunlop Sport MaxxRT & same Volks with 255/40 Hankook Rs-3.

GL!
From what ive been gathering, 17x9 +45 is a the wheel size I need for a flush look and big enough for 255's, it will then be about getting some front and or rear fender work to make it fit.

Current:

Old 06-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #6

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i don't care about the look, i ran Toyo t1S 245 40 18 on my speed3 on rx8 stock wheels and stock coils. I had to roll the rear fenders to avoid rubbing and there was still some room probably for 255. 245 was already a bit large for the wheels....

This setup added a lot of cornering feel but it was chasing left to right a lot more on uneven pavement.

I was just running close to 400 crank hp with a bit more torque and it was still traction limited for the first 2 gears....I gave up and bought a 6
Fstrnyou likes this.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
Fstrnyou (06-04-2019)
 Old 06-04-2019, 04:27 PM   #7

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by HaXiR View Post
Yeah that's my dilemma, what offsets would be needed if someone knows based on experience
All 255s are not created equal. These 245s are wider than any 255s I've ever seen but I got them to fit with just 5 (or 8) mm spacers up front. And rolled fenders in the rear. And some camber -> -2.9 front & -1.9 rear.

245/40/17 Hoosier R7
17/9et45 Enkei RPF1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 76346444-NASAUtah2018Rd2CAM-322.jpg (1.62 MB, 4 views)
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, BSD, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
shamie is offline   Reply With Quote