register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #1

ZooZoom is a name known to allZooZoom is a name known to allZooZoom is a name known to allZooZoom is a name known to allZooZoom is a name known to allZooZoom is a name known to all
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Put 235/40 RT-615's on my Rota P1's - had to roll rear lip

Mounted new rubber today. Falken Azenis RT-615 tires 235/40/18 mounted on Rota P1's 18 x 8" (+48) in Hyperblack

Getting a bad rub on the rear - more on driver's side (makes sense - that's the side I typically sit on)

Definitely must try rolling my rear fenders beneath the wheel well. Strange why Mazda would give the front fenders a nice roll from the factory but leave the rear sticking out straight towards the tire like a razorblade.

I'm not too worried about it. Should be able to put a nice upward tilt to the inner fender lip without too much risk. Gotta be done because just a couple of bumps chewed some nice tire spaghetti off the lip. No harm really but it cannot be left alone.

No driving impressions yet for the Falkens. But I have the highest expectation for them to grip like claws on carpet. A DOT wear rating of 200 means they are super-sticky. No worries about wet weather traction because now that March is almost past it's not likely to rain again in So.Cal until Oct/Nov.

I'll know for certain how well they grip - and god forbid I continue to get sharp rubbing - because I'm heading out to Willowsprings "Big Track" on 3/27.

tires sidewalls still covered in lube since they were mounted about 20 minutes before these pics taken. and the center caps were still in the car.

Pics for your amusement.....

decent room towards the inside on the rear struts (Koni Yellows, MS red springs & camber plates)

a bit closer up front still on the stock shocks with the MS red springs

ZooZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZooZoom For This Useful Post:
occschemguy (04-02-2008)
 Old 03-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #2

occschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the world
Thanked 46,553 Times in 661 Posts
Groans: 3
Not Ranked  0 score     

looks good!

occschemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #3

ZooZoom is a name known to allZooZoom is a name known to allZooZoom is a name known to allZooZoom is a name known to allZooZoom is a name known to allZooZoom is a name known to all
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So I took care of rolling the rear fender lips today. Not a task for the faint-of-heart. Especially if you don't have all the right tools - like I don't.

Basic ingredients:
  • small sledge hammer
  • cardboard pad - to soften the blows
  • fresh razor blade knife
  • painters tape
  • enamel primer or paint
  • Mazda touch-up paint kit
  • couple of cigs or beers (OPTIONAL)

I know to do a proper fender roll, you need a special tool and its best to use a hot-air gun to soften the paint and make if pliable/flexible. I didn't have any of that.

But I think of my MS3 as a track car that I happen to drive everyday. I just needed to get the job done before I sliced away precious sidewall from my nice, new RT-615s.

Simple recipe:
  1. scribe hard line just inside fender lip for paint "break-line"
  2. gently bash the hell out of the lip til it's rolled upward
  3. sand away paint chips on rolled lip
  4. mask just outside scribe line
  5. paint with enamel primer or outdoor paint
  6. apply matching touch-up paint as required
  7. hope future buyer is equally concerned about form over beauty

some pics to entertain you (lousy cheap digital camera)

ZooZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZooZoom For This Useful Post:
occschemguy (04-02-2008)
 Old 03-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #4

occschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the worldoccschemguy is the leader of the world
Thanked 46,553 Times in 661 Posts
Groans: 3
Not Ranked  0 score     

i used a baseball bat to do mine.

occschemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Door is THAT Way Mate ---->

Mr._Pickles is infamous around these partsMr._Pickles is infamous around these partsMr._Pickles is infamous around these partsMr._Pickles is infamous around these partsMr._Pickles is infamous around these partsMr._Pickles is infamous around these partsMr._Pickles is infamous around these partsMr._Pickles is infamous around these partsMr._Pickles is infamous around these partsMr._Pickles is infamous around these partsMr._Pickles is infamous around these parts
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I plan on using 225/40s to fix my rub issue.
Mr._Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #6

MadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the worldMadOzodi is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hmmm, I think I'm just gonna be a wuss and get 225/45/18s on my P1s when I have to. I got mine in Hyper Silver...the Hyper Blacks look MEAN! Just joined so no sig or pics yet.
MadOzodi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
Banned

Crossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the thread. It's nice to get rubbing info instead of a bunch of threads where people say fitment works on other forums. Sometimes I swear people don't turn their steering wheel...

For future reference, if you have a large group of people that need fender rolling in your area, see if they'll chip in on a roller. In the DC/VA/MD area, one guy bought a roller, and made back his money +tons, by renting it out for 49.99 with a deposit and mailing it to whoever needed it. It's a heck of a lot easier to use then yee old bat method!

Old article showing it off
Mazda6Tech - Fender Rolling: A Photographic Journey
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crossbow For This Useful Post:
occschemguy (04-02-2008)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f319/put-235-40-rt-615-s-my-405/
Posted By For Type Date
MAZDASPEED 3 - Mazda Speed Forums: Mazdaspeed High Performance Forum with Gallery, Specs, discussion & more This thread Refback 03-25-2008 05:37 PM