register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
MSF Punished Member

FWD=WWD is a name known to allFWD=WWD is a name known to allFWD=WWD is a name known to allFWD=WWD is a name known to allFWD=WWD is a name known to allFWD=WWD is a name known to all
Groans: 4
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default sizing question

I'm looking for some nice 19x8.5 wheels, similar to the BMW CSL Replica's.

Anybody know where i can find wheels to fit the speed6 in that fitment.. probably et40 or et45.

Or any specific wheels? ... ideally, i'd like to get the new rx-8 r3 wheels, but at 1250/each thats not happening.
FWD=WWD is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #2

BoostIsBetter is the leader of the worldBoostIsBetter is the leader of the worldBoostIsBetter is the leader of the worldBoostIsBetter is the leader of the worldBoostIsBetter is the leader of the worldBoostIsBetter is the leader of the worldBoostIsBetter is the leader of the worldBoostIsBetter is the leader of the worldBoostIsBetter is the leader of the worldBoostIsBetter is the leader of the worldBoostIsBetter is the leader of the world
Groans: 32
Groaned at 31 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

damn with 19's on the ms3, you might not have any tire. forget about auto-x or anything
BoostIsBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
MSF Punished Member

FWD=WWD is a name known to allFWD=WWD is a name known to allFWD=WWD is a name known to allFWD=WWD is a name known to allFWD=WWD is a name known to allFWD=WWD is a name known to all
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BoostIsBetter View Post
damn with 19's on the ms3, you might not have any tire. forget about auto-x or anything
ms6**

The tire calulators show a 6mm increase in height, and a 6mm increase in how far it would stick out. all else would be same or less than OEM.
 Old 05-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Banned

phillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the world
Thanked 18,751 Times in 5,169 Posts
Groans: 1,940
Groaned at 886 Times in 632 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

bigger is always better...
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
MSF Punished Member

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BoostIsBetter View Post
Originally Posted by phillyb View Post
bigger is always better...
Indeed, and i've stuffed bigger things into smaller openings before.
 Old 05-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #6

JMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,770 Times in 925 Posts
Groaned at 19 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by FWD=WWD View Post
I'm looking for some nice 19x8.5 wheels, similar to the BMW CSL Replica's.

Anybody know where i can find wheels to fit the speed6 in that fitment.. probably et40 or et45.

Or any specific wheels? ... ideally, i'd like to get the new rx-8 r3 wheels, but at 1250/each thats not happening.

ms6**

The tire calulators show a 6mm increase in height, and a 6mm increase in how far it would stick out. all else would be same or less than OEM.
Stock offset is 55mm. Going to 8.5 from 7.5 adds a half inch on the outside in addition to whatever decrease in offset you have. Even at 45 offset, you'll be sticking out 22.7mm more than stock (25.4 is one inch).

I'm running 18x7.5's, just like stock, but with a 43 offset. At 12mm out from stock my fenders scraped under heavy load, so there's no way 22.7 will work without some serious fender rolling.

Any increase in height will be based on what size tires you go with. You'll probably want 255's.
Stock sidewall height is 215*.45=96.75mm. To make up for the extra rim size, you'll need to be at 96.75-12.7=84.05. 84.05/255= about .33.
So overall, 19"rims with 255/30 tires will be slightly shorter than stock, and with 255/35 tires will be slightly taller than stock.

Hope this helps

2009 MS3 GT - Built engine, JBR intake/TIP and short shifter, all engine mounts, Autotech HPFP internals, ETS TMIC, Custom AP tune, Pauter rods, CP pistons, and 6-puck ACT clutch
-GTX2867R Coming Soon
JMEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
MSF Punished Member

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JMEngineer View Post
Stock offset is 55mm. Going to 8.5 from 7.5 adds a half inch on the outside in addition to whatever decrease in offset you have. Even at 45 offset, you'll be sticking out 22.7mm more than stock (25.4 is one inch).

I'm running 18x7.5's, just like stock, but with a 43 offset. At 12mm out from stock my fenders scraped under heavy load, so there's no way 22.7 will work without some serious fender rolling.

Any increase in height will be based on what size tires you go with. You'll probably want 255's.
Stock sidewall height is 215*.45=96.75mm. To make up for the extra rim size, you'll need to be at 96.75-12.7=84.05. 84.05/255= about .33.
So overall, 19"rims with 255/30 tires will be slightly shorter than stock, and with 255/35 tires will be slightly taller than stock.

Hope this helps
OEM size is 18"x7", +55mm offset, 5x114.3mm, 67.1mm hub bore. ... so your math is all off.

Also, your going to tell me an increase in height is not related to a 19" diameter wheel over 18" diameter wheel?

When you drop the offset, it does push the wheel out further, but thats in order to keep from rubbing on suspension components. Since the rear wheels do not turn, im ok there.

255's ? are you nucking futs? ... NOBODY has done that on any mazda without serious fender rolling, even on OEM wheels.

seems just peachy to me.
 Old 05-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #8

JMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the worldJMEngineer is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

OEM size is 18"x7", +55mm offset, 5x114.3mm, 67.1mm hub bore. ... so your math is all off.

Also, your going to tell me an increase in height is not related to a 19" diameter wheel over 18" diameter wheel?

When you drop the offset, it does push the wheel out further, but thats in order to keep from rubbing on suspension components. Since the rear wheels do not turn, im ok there.

255's ? are you nucking futs? ... NOBODY has done that on any mazda without serious fender rolling, even on OEM wheels.

seems just peachy to me.
Ok, so I used 7.5 instead of 7. The 19x8.5 rims will still stick out the same amount relative to my 18x7.5s. (The stock tires are also 215's not 225's)

You're assuming you'll still be using 225/45's. On an 8.5 rim you should be using 245s or 255s. A 235 is the absolute minimum I would use on an 8.5" wide rim. A 225 will work, but isn't recommended. I agree your clearance on the inside will be fine. It's the fenders you need to worry about. Do you know of anyone using 8.5" wide rims on an MS6? Trying it is the only way to know for sure, but I can almost guarantee you'll be shredding your tires on your fenders under heavy load, even if you do use a 225.

And no, going to a 19" rim doesn't necessarily mean a taller package. Use lower profile tires.

Bottom line, I would say try to find 19x8's if you have to have 19" rims.

2009 MS3 GT - Built engine, JBR intake/TIP and short shifter, all engine mounts, Autotech HPFP internals, ETS TMIC, Custom AP tune, Pauter rods, CP pistons, and 6-puck ACT clutch
-GTX2867R Coming Soon
 Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
MSF Punished Member

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, so I used 7.5 instead of 7. The 19x8.5 rims will still stick out the same amount relative to my 18x7.5s. (The stock tires are also 215's not 225's)

You're assuming you'll still be using 225/45's. On an 8.5 rim you should be using 245s or 255s. A 235 is the absolute minimum I would use on an 8.5" wide rim. A 225 will work, but isn't recommended. I agree your clearance on the inside will be fine. It's the fenders you need to worry about. Do you know of anyone using 8.5" wide rims on an MS6? Trying it is the only way to know for sure, but I can almost guarantee you'll be shredding your tires on your fenders under heavy load, even if you do use a 225.

And no, going to a 19" rim doesn't necessarily mean a taller package. Use lower profile tires.

Bottom line, I would say try to find 19x8's if you have to have 19" rims.

I appreciate your input, but i have a hard time believing, even with low profile tires, dropping the profile enough to compensate for a 1" increase in wheel size, is not going to increase the height of the overall tire. It is either unsafe, or stupid because there are potholes on every road everywhere.

Yes 215 are stock, i currently run 225. I want a slightly stretched tire on the 19's so 225 will work fine. Its the minimum that will fit. a.k.a smallest a tire shop would, and should mount without an under the table type deal.

No i do not know anyone, but i have been measuring myself, not only using calculators ... i'll write it all down next time i get under the car.

What do you mean under heavy load? The wheels wont be put on the stock suspension, most likely on a Tein setup with an EDC unit, set relatively close to stock with a slight drop in the front to induce a raked look.
 Old 05-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

With stiffer suspension you shouldn't have problems with the rear unless you have people in the back seat or a bunch of stuff in the trunk.

I started off with 225's on my rims (18x7.5 +43 offset). They scraped when I floored it in first, took a turn at speed, hit a big bump on the highway, or had passengers in the back seat. I went to 215s and still had problems, just not as much. I rolled the fenders and went back to 225's.

The 45 offset will give you another 2mm clearance at the edges of the tire but you'll need to roll your fenders if you don't want to risk scraping the sidewall.

-GTX2867R Coming Soon
 Old 05-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
MSF Punished Member

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

With stiffer suspension you shouldn't have problems with the rear unless you have people in the back seat or a bunch of stuff in the trunk.

I started off with 225's on my rims (18x7.5 +43 offset). They scraped when I floored it in first, took a turn at speed, hit a big bump on the highway, or had passengers in the back seat. I went to 215s and still had problems, just not as much. I rolled the fenders and went back to 225's.

The 45 offset will give you another 2mm clearance at the edges of the tire but you'll need to roll your fenders if you don't want to risk scraping the sidewall.
meh, im not accepting that as an answer

I have to get it all on paper before i start arguing though. If i end up rolling the fenders you can bet your ass theres going to be as much rubber as possible without having to replace the fenders or bodywork done.