register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
JTD

JTD is a jewel in the roughJTD is a jewel in the roughJTD is a jewel in the roughJTD is a jewel in the rough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Small Hubcentric Wheel Spacers

Hey everyone,
This may be a dumb question and can't seem to find the answer.

I have a set of 18x8.5 +55 wheels and looking at running either 245 35 18 or 245 40 18. I know this is going to be very close to rubbing on the inside and will likely have to run a small spacer, 3-5mm at least.
My question is, how to keep the rim hubcentric with a small spacer? I know most larger spacers have a hub ring built into the, but all small spacers I have ever seen are flat?

Who has used 3-5mm spacers?
JTD is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

Vader is the leader of the worldVader is the leader of the worldVader is the leader of the worldVader is the leader of the worldVader is the leader of the worldVader is the leader of the worldVader is the leader of the worldVader is the leader of the worldVader is the leader of the worldVader is the leader of the worldVader is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,906 Times in 1,010 Posts
Groans: 45
Groaned at 46 Times in 36 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have the Jbr 5mm spacers. There is enough hub left to grab the stock wheel just fine.

If you have wheels with hub rings, it gets tricky. I have to double side tape the hub ring to the hub/spacer, then put the wheel on.

I agree with you though. I have always wanted a 5mm with the hub bump thing.
 Old 02-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #3

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,632 Times in 3,121 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What is the center bore size of your wheels?

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
JTD

JTD is a jewel in the roughJTD is a jewel in the roughJTD is a jewel in the roughJTD is a jewel in the rough
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Nliiitend1 View Post
What is the center bore size of your wheels?
75mm so I will need hubcentric rings as well.
 Old 02-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #5

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JTD View Post
75mm so I will need hubcentric rings as well.
These guys can make you custom spacers that are both hub and wheel centric:

We manufacture the best Wheel Spacers money can buy | Motorsport Tech

Not cheap, but they're quality products for sure.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nliiitend1 For This Useful Post:
Mattyhawk1 (02-20-2015), Mauro_Penguin (02-20-2015), Vader (02-22-2015), WetzMS3 (02-20-2015)
 Old 02-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Banned

license2ill is infamous around these partslicense2ill is infamous around these parts
Groans: 30
Groaned at 132 Times in 57 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think that wheel will put even a 9.5" 235mm tire over 1" inboard, or over about 35mm. The wheel itself will inset 22mm closer, plus 13mm of tire or so.

How much room is there stock? Somebody's got to know, but I don't think I've seen a number specified anywhere for the oem tires.
license2ill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says NO Thank You to license2ill For This Un-useful Post:
btstarcher (02-25-2015)
 Old 02-21-2015, 02:43 AM   #7
JTD

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by license2ill View Post
I think that wheel will put even a 9.5" 235mm tire over 1" inboard, or over about 35mm. The wheel itself will inset 22mm closer, plus 13mm of tire or so.

How much room is there stock? Somebody's got to know, but I don't think I've seen a number specified anywhere for the oem tires.
Great question and would love to know as I am currently guessing on the minimum spacer I will need. There seems to be a huge variance in offsets used and working.
 Old 02-21-2015, 06:00 AM   #8

chd_wtkns has much to be proud ofchd_wtkns has much to be proud ofchd_wtkns has much to be proud ofchd_wtkns has much to be proud ofchd_wtkns has much to be proud ofchd_wtkns has much to be proud ofchd_wtkns has much to be proud ofchd_wtkns has much to be proud ofchd_wtkns has much to be proud ofchd_wtkns has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

These guys can make you custom spacers that are both hub and wheel centric:

We manufacture the best Wheel Spacers money can buy | Motorsport Tech

Not cheap, but they're quality products for sure.
This, just got a set for my fronts with rpf1's, top notch and totally worth the price.
 Old 02-21-2015, 07:13 AM   #9
Banned

license2ill is infamous around these partslicense2ill is infamous around these parts
Groans: 30
Groaned at 132 Times in 57 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JTD View Post
Great question and would love to know as I am currently guessing on the minimum spacer I will need. There seems to be a huge variance in offsets used and working.
Yeah, most of the offsets I've seen are lower(less positive), so it seems like more of an issue at the fender. But, many of those I've noted here have still used spacers within a wide range of 5mm-15mm too. It will ultimately matter the specific height of the tire and actual measured section width of the model of tire on that wheel width.

An example is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, as shown on tirerack in a 245/40/18 as 25.7" tall(equal to the oem Bridgestone in the 215/45/18 size), but 9.8" wide, an actual 249mm, as measured on an 8.5" wheel, vs the stock Bridgestone tire's 8.5"(216mm) measured on the 7" wheel. Others actual size may vary a few mm too.
license2ill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says NO Thank You to license2ill For This Un-useful Post:
btstarcher (02-25-2015)
 Old 02-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

18x8.5" et55 wheels will probably require AT LEAST a 5 mm spacer, and may even need an 8-10 mm spacer (especially if you're using coilovers with a thicker than OEM strut body, as some use).

I know of people running et45 wheels of the same size with no spacers, but there isn't much room on the inside with those setups...

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

The Following User Says Thank You to Nliiitend1 For This Useful Post:
zenit (02-21-2015)
 Old 02-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #11
JTD

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

18x8.5" et55 wheels will probably require AT LEAST a 5 mm spacer, and may even need an 8-10 mm spacer (especially if you're using coilovers with a thicker than OEM strut body, as some use).

I know of people running et45 wheels of the same size with no spacers, but there isn't much room on the inside with those setups...
Any others running high offset wheels?
I am hoping to run the smallest spacer I can so trying to make as educated guesstimate as possible for ordering spacers and hoping get it right!
Thanks for the info.