register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mituc

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #1

Frank2310 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Smallest suggested snow tire width

I am currently looking for a set of snow tires, I came across a set with rims that are 195/55/r16, would these be to small for our cars?
Frank2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-21-2016, 02:28 AM   #2

frothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,381 Times in 594 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, the diameter of the tire is 1.2" shorter than stock. So you'd have a larger wheel well gap, you'd be dumping your car ~.6" closer to the ground, your speedometer would read higher than it should and you'd be racking up miles on your odometer at a faster rate than normal.

If you're looking for recommended sizes:

205/60R16 or 215/55R16

Play with this if need be:

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind is running a tire size with a different diameter than stock may affect the ABS/Traction Control systems seeing as they work in conjunction with the wheel speed sensors which wouldn't be receiving accurate readings.

Last edited by frothy; 10-21-2016 at 03:33 AM.
frothy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-21-2016, 05:54 AM   #3

anavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,457 Times in 1,982 Posts
Groans: 63
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by frothy View Post
EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind is running a tire size with a different diameter than stock may affect the ABS/Traction Control systems seeing as they work in conjunction with the wheel speed sensors which wouldn't be receiving accurate readings.
I think they mostly work on speed differentials between wheels so running a different size would be okay in that regard.

The rest I agree with though, you don't want a tire that much smaller than stock.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
anavrinIV is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-21-2016, 06:14 AM   #4

frothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,381 Times in 594 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by anavrinIV View Post
I think they mostly work on speed differentials between wheels so running a different size would be okay in that regard.
That's correct. I've been in vehicles with broken, free–spinning, tone rings. In such a scenario traction control and ABS tend to kick in once you get to ~5mph and the system detects the discrepancy between the wheel speed sensors. I don't suspect it would wreak havoc on the system, just suggesting the potential might exist for traction control to engage prematurely with the smaller wheels and higher wheel speed sensor readings.
frothy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #5

Frank2310 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the help, I figured that small of a tire wouldn't be the greatest idea on these cars.
Frank2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #6

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,235 Posts
Groans: 111
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

205/50/r17.
16" rims are a bit too small, they are 2mm away from the front brake callipers and there isn't going to been ough cooling for the brakes not even during winter.
Also, 195mm tire is simply not enough for a 3500lb car assuming that you're not driving only on snow in 2nd gear.
dallin jones likes this.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PS4 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend Enduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res&catted TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI, VCTS Delete, stock ported IM
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW to 28PSI, self-tuned to 32PSI

2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7 6 Speed Manual
SU TMIC, Autotech HPFP internals, Cobb XLE, Cobb EBCS, CorkSport 3.5BAR MAP
GTX2867R gen2, stock spark plugs, stock cats and stock exhaust FTW, JBR Tru-3" Silicone intake
TheSpeedLine Top and Lower Strut bars
self-Versatuned to 22PSI
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2019, 06:43 AM   #7

SkippyScallop is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
205/50/r17.
16" rims are a bit too small, they are 2mm away from the front brake callipers and there isn't going to been ough cooling for the brakes not even during winter.
Also, 195mm tire is simply not enough for a 3500lb car assuming that you're not driving only on snow in 2nd gear.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but what are you basing your insufficient brake-cooling statement on?
SkippyScallop is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #8

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you have a speed3, 16inch open mag wasn't a problem for me, i never get brakes overheated, but i had HP+ pads and may not drive has hard as peoples do in Russia :-)
i think i used 215 55 16 to have them to last more than few months...

It doesn't fit at all on a speed6 unless you swap front brakes from a normal6
Minimum is 17inch despite ms3 and ms6 have the same rotor size, the caliper takes more space...i learned it few months ago.

i use these 16inch wheels, the offset was a bit agressive and the rear was rubbing a bit on stock coils. i rolled the fender a bit to fit 245 on RX8 wheels for summer and it solved this too at the same time.
https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/p...-OEM-Wheel.jpg

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....

Last edited by Jeff23spl; 01-10-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote