register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #1

speedster3s can only hope to improve
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  -1 score     
Default Substantial tire wear issue from aggressive camber!

I have a 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 GT. The car is really great… until I found out first hand about the rear camber issue. I rotated my tires at 17,000 (through owning 7 cars beforehand I’ve rotated tires at half-time every time and that’s worked out perfect) and got massive tire noise / roar from the front thereafter. Turns out the inner edge is cupped on both fronts (after rotation). I brought the car back to Gaithersburg Mazda in Maryland and they said it’s because I didn’t rotate the tires often enough (supposed to do every 3,000 miles they say). I searched various posts and find all the stories about the camber. I go back to the dealer and they say they can check alignment (I might have hit a pothole) – did I hit a pothole on each rear tire the same way? – clearly not. The service manager then comes full circle and admits that this is because of rear camber (forget the nonsense about alignment and rotation) – he says it’s meant for racing and set up aggressive for that reason. I get nowhere with him and he turns me to Mazda USA in California. I talked to them and they’d already been ‘informed’. After a week of ‘deliberation’ supposedly, they call me back and tell me there’s nothing Mazda will do – there is no defect on the car. I ask if they’d spring for the aftermarket rear arms (SPC Camber Arm: MS3, Mazda 3)
where I can adjust the camber and they say no and that they wouldn’t warranty any suspension items if I install them.
There is a class-action suit in progress against Mazda on this issue: see Mazda Tire Wear Investigation - Consumer Class Action Attorneys - Girard Gibbs LLP - California | New York.
I still love the car but clearly Mazda is NOT the manufacturer that stands behind its products!
speedster3s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say NO Thank You to speedster3s For This Un-useful Post:
PunjabiPlaya (08-25-2011), Raider (08-25-2011), scriccs (08-25-2011)
 Old 08-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Thanked 57,010 Times in 14,590 Posts
Groans: 856
Groaned at 183 Times in 156 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Seriously? You rotated the tires a 17,000 miles and are bitching about uneven wear?

Guess you've never read the owners manual for the maintenance schedule....

Bad 1st post.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raider For This Useful Post:
One2poo (08-25-2011), PunjabiPlaya (08-25-2011)
 Old 08-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #3

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,632 Times in 3,121 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Stupid thread is stupid.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #4

PunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the world
Thanked 30,201 Times in 2,793 Posts
Groans: 131
Groaned at 45 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

you don't follow maintenance instructions and then complain about wear? you're a smart one aren't you?
broke ass college student
PunjabiPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
KR....i haz it

Blackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,055 Posts
Groans: 166
Groaned at 56 Times in 41 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I dont know why you guys are busting his balls. We all know that it didnt matter how often he rotated the tires, they would wear on the inside.

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo View Post
While the other forum is GREAT for technical/mechanical information and how to, that place is filled with single-minded (if you aren't driving fast, you're doing it wrong), arrogant, and professional douchebags.
Blackspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

18,000 on mine, 3000 mile rotations, bald evenly. The performance tire is not designed for high miles, The class action has Mazda 3's and 5's makes no mention of Mazdaspeed. keeping an eye on the tires culd have caught it and fixed it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raider For This Useful Post:
Nliiitend1 (08-25-2011), PunjabiPlaya (08-25-2011)
 Old 08-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
KR....i haz it

Blackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Look at the threads about tire wear. Its mostly due to toe issues, so rotations do absolutely nothing.

While the other forum is GREAT for technical/mechanical information and how to, that place is filled with single-minded (if you aren't driving fast, you're doing it wrong), arrogant, and professional douchebags.
 Old 08-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #8

PunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the worldPunjabiPlaya is the leader of the world
Thanked 30,201 Times in 2,793 Posts
Groans: 131
Groaned at 45 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I saw a new cooper s today. Holy cow, I thought our stock rear camber was too much.
broke ass college student
PunjabiPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Not Ranked  0 score     

Toe issues can be resolved with an alignment if the issue is caught early enough...usually when performing an rotation, inspection when filling up with air, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raider For This Useful Post:
Nliiitend1 (08-25-2011)
 Old 08-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #10

MZR165 is the leader of the worldMZR165 is the leader of the worldMZR165 is the leader of the worldMZR165 is the leader of the worldMZR165 is the leader of the worldMZR165 is the leader of the worldMZR165 is the leader of the worldMZR165 is the leader of the worldMZR165 is the leader of the worldMZR165 is the leader of the worldMZR165 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Can the camber be any worse than this?

MZR165 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MZR165 For This Useful Post:
Blackspeed (08-26-2011), PunjabiPlaya (08-25-2011), Raider (08-26-2011)
 Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #11

Wolfgang5884 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfgang5884 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfgang5884 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfgang5884 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfgang5884 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfgang5884 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfgang5884 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfgang5884 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfgang5884 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfgang5884 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfgang5884 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Take care of your fucking car and rotate the damn tires!
Wolfgang5884 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #12

LuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

Camber does not cause wear. Toe causes wear, and the wear happens to be on the inside of the tire becuase of the camber.

If the camber had been 0, you would have gotten wear everwhere at basically the same rate.
Nliiitend1 (08-30-2011), paradigmshift (08-30-2011)
 Old 08-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
KR....i haz it

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by LuczOr View Post
Camber does not cause wear. Toe causes wear, and the wear happens to be on the inside of the tire becuase of the camber.

If the camber had been 0, you would have gotten wear everwhere at basically the same rate.
BS

just one example: HOW TO READ TIRE WEAR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blackspeed For This Useful Post:
jonlax (08-31-2011), silvapain (08-31-2011)
 Old 08-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #14

jonlax is the leader of the worldjonlax is the leader of the worldjonlax is the leader of the worldjonlax is the leader of the worldjonlax is the leader of the worldjonlax is the leader of the worldjonlax is the leader of the worldjonlax is the leader of the worldjonlax is the leader of the worldjonlax is the leader of the worldjonlax is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Blackspeed View Post
BS

just one example: HOW TO READ TIRE WEAR
thumbs up.

the only thing that does not cause wear (uneven) to a tire is caster. Every ASE book out there tells you this.
jonlax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonlax For This Useful Post:
silvapain (08-31-2011)
 Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #15

silvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,667 Times in 5,045 Posts
Groans: 136
Groaned at 47 Times in 41 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That's completely false. Camber alone can cause uneven wear. Camber wear is only one one side like toe wear, but it will wear more into the center of the tread instead of right at the edge like toe does.

I had -3 degrees of rear camber on my MS3 after putting on coilovers, and I was too busy (lazy) to get an alignment done for a couple months. My rears suffered badly for it.

Tapadatass
Blackspeed (08-31-2011)
 Old 08-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #16

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,632 Times in 3,121 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm not gonna defend the guy because he spoke in absolutes when he probably shouldn't have, but I think I understand what he was getting at...

Basically, you have to have REALLY EXTREME camber on this car and drive it only in a straight line for camber to have too much of an effect on tire wear (alone, that is).

Toe has a much more pronounced effect on tire wear than camber, and when you combine the two the wear on the inside of the tire increases somewhat exponentially.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nliiitend1 For This Useful Post:
Blackspeed (08-31-2011), LuczOr (08-31-2011)
 Old 08-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #17

LuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the worldLuczOr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What I ment by my comment was that camber by itself does not increase the rate of wear. It just makes the normal wear happen on only one area.

I suppose this could also increase the rate because there is less tire rubber touching the road and therefore, less material to dissipate the strain of normal driving.

By the way, I love absolutes... LOL.
Nliiitend1 (08-31-2011)
 Old 08-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #18

Gametime421 will become famous soon enoughGametime421 will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neutral  -1 score     
Default You are so wrong

Camber doesn't cause wear...your just plain wrong.....caster doesn't cause wear....camber and toe both cause wear...camber too neg or pos will cause smooth wear on inner for neg and outer for pos......toe in or out will be a feathered wear pattern......you gotta know the camber is too negative and wears tires. You need to by camber plates for the front and adjustable arms for the back and bring it more positive if you want better wear.....rotating is not gonna help. And you need to buy parts like this for all kinds of cars to make them adjustable....they gotta make money some how.
Gametime421 is offline   Reply With Quote