register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 04-25-2008, 06:59 PM   #1

kneedragger241 has a spectacular aura aboutkneedragger241 has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default TOO light?

Opinions please...

Would a set of 16.5 lb wheels be too light (fragile) for every day street use?
 Old 04-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Banned

phailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,323 Times in 966 Posts
Groans: 49
Groaned at 179 Times in 125 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Mazdaspeed are 16.7 lbs... thats what ive got. I think it probably depends on the quality of the wheel.
phailerider is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #3

kneedragger241 has a spectacular aura aboutkneedragger241 has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, considering that the Mazdaspeed wheels you have are Rays, I should be okay with my choice ;-)
 Old 04-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
Banned

phailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by kneedragger241 View Post
Well, considering that the Mazdaspeed wheels you have are Rays, I should be okay with my choice ;-)
so is that what you got? the Rays?
 Old 04-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm in the final stages of making my decision before ploppin' down the plastic, but yes...
Looks like the new wheels will be Rays/Volk.
 Old 04-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm in the final stages of making my decision before ploppin' down the plastic, but yes...
Looks like the new wheels will be Rays/Volk.
then I wouldnt wory about the weight... i love mine.. Post a link with what you decide.
 Old 04-26-2008, 04:52 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'll post pics when I get them on.
I hate to be the "future mods list" guy.

Please stand by... for 12 weeks while the wheels take the slow boat from Japan to PA. :-p
 Old 04-26-2008, 05:12 PM   #8

lidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the worldlidokrantz is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

lightweight and strong.......if you hit a pot hole your fucked, no matter what rim....Ray's makes Volks, Advans as well as many other high performance rims....some of the finest on the market...you just have to be aware when you are driving, and have some luck And keep in mind that with this large investment on rims, you are not insured unless you add this to your premium. Winter driving in Pa. and NJ....you have to be careful. But i will use my stockers when the Speed becomes a DD in winter/
Current.. 2009 BMW 135i Twin Turbo, Sedonna Red Metallic, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg with heated seats, Xenons,M Sport steering wheel, BMW Factory Sport Exhaust..300hp, 300 Tq.. in reality..320 hp 320 tq stock
SOON: BMS JB3....tune, ICarbon rear diffuser, ....all under warranty...
Past/Sold...2007 MazdaSpeed3,CP-E TBE, CAI, Advan Rs Gunmetal, TWM STS with bushings TWM Desert Eagle shift knob,, Defi Amber boost gauge, HKS BOV with CP-E flange..also tried CP-E Nano SRI (MazdaSpeed CAI, Rota TQ Hyperblack, are FOR SALE 4 months old)
lidokrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
Banned

Crossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the worldCrossbow is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I agree. No rim is invulnerable to a big enough pothole. Just use common sense when driving!

I've seen people bend/crack the stock 25 lb rims...so heavier rims don't really help you either if you hit some gaping chasm in the road!
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, I live in PA... every road is made of a series of gaping chasms with brief stretches of semi-smooth asphalt in between :-p

This isn't my first set of aftermarket wheels, so I know the ropes.
My insurance agent is great at making sure all my custom projects and add-ons are taken care of.
It is, however, my first set of ridiculously expensive ultra-light wheels.
Thanks for the feedback.
 Old 04-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #11

clos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Opinions please...

Would a set of 16.5 lb wheels be too light (fragile) for every day street use?
i have the 13 lb FD rims, they work fine
7-Inch Jensen Flip Out Touch Screen, HKS SSQ, MS CAI, Prosport Premium Amber/White Boost Gauge,2nd Cat Gutted, Delrin TRZ MM,16 inch FD rims,TWM shifter Bushings,COBB Turbo Inlet, 28psi, rebuilt stock block, custom rods and piston heads/gaskets, underdrive pulleys, big cams, big oil filter, stage4 clutch, stage4 DISI injectors, Fuel Pump, 4inch Catless TBE with screamer pipe, external wastegate spring modification,Methanol direct twin port duty cycle injection. Tuned by Nator Performance
clos561 is offline   Reply With Quote