register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree131Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #81

jeopardy98 is the leader of the worldjeopardy98 is the leader of the worldjeopardy98 is the leader of the worldjeopardy98 is the leader of the worldjeopardy98 is the leader of the worldjeopardy98 is the leader of the worldjeopardy98 is the leader of the worldjeopardy98 is the leader of the worldjeopardy98 is the leader of the worldjeopardy98 is the leader of the worldjeopardy98 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,639 Times in 871 Posts
Groans: 112
Groaned at 28 Times in 25 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

Well that might be good info to put in the first post since this is the "everything you need to know about wheels" thread. Thanks for the help!
Bone Stock 2012 BM Non-Tech for 2500 miles. (250 whp/265 wtq Moore Auto). Currently: K04/Cobb AP/AT internals/Magnaflow CBE/M2 DP/Cobb SRI/HTP TIP/CS boost tubes/CS recirc hose/TS BPV/SU TMIC/GS EBCS/JBR EGR delete/Coolant bypass/Thermal TB gasket/NGK 6510's/JBR SSP/JBR Knob/JBR 88 RMM/JBR SSB/DDM 35w 5000k HIDs/PAC Gateway iPod integration and Sirius. (301whp/360wtq Moore Auto). Finklefied Hypnotic tune. 14.1@106 Mason Dixon- Driver mod needed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jeopardy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #82

Onelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the world
Groans: 116
Groaned at 13 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i'd check tires-easy.com too. i just got a set for Hankook v12s for $150/tire. by far the best rate i found. they shipped to a local installer who put them on for me.

Cobb AP (91 RichTune) | CS SRI/TIP | cp-e S2 RMM | SURE Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP/Counterweight | UR TP | UR CBE | AT Internals | Denso ITV22s | 35% tint | Sonic Tuning HIDs | MD OCC | JBR TIGs | TSW Nurburgring 18x8.5+45 245/40/18 v12 evo2
Onelovesoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #83

travis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 41 Times in 24 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Onelovesoccer View Post
i'd check tires-easy.com too. i just got a set for Hankook v12s for $150/tire. by far the best rate i found. they shipped to a local installer who put them on for me.
I've always found discount tire direct to be cheapest with free shipping! And they price match also.
HT programmer, Mazdaspeed CAI, Turbosmart Dual port Bpv, Corksport Test pipe back exhaust, HTP TIP, Autotech CDFP internals, CP-E TMIC, Cobb Springs, Koni yellow struts, SU RMM, Ts shift plate, prosport bg, 10k headlights, 3k fogs, OZ Ultraleggera HLTs, Pioneer nav/dcs......On the way; Devils Own Stage 2
travis9935 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to travis9935 For This Useful Post:
SLOWHATCH (03-23-2012)
 Old 02-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #84

Onelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the worldOnelovesoccer is the leader of the world
Groans: 116
Groaned at 13 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by travis9935 View Post
I've always found discount tire direct to be cheapest with free shipping! And they price match also.
good to know. i checked them out but the Hankook's were $186 each and i didn't know they matched prices.

sounds like the best idea is to find the tire you want, look it up on each website, find the cheapest price and then order from there or have another company price match.

Cobb AP (91 RichTune) | CS SRI/TIP | cp-e S2 RMM | SURE Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP/Counterweight | UR TP | UR CBE | AT Internals | Denso ITV22s | 35% tint | Sonic Tuning HIDs | MD OCC | JBR TIGs | TSW Nurburgring 18x8.5+45 245/40/18 v12 evo2
Onelovesoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #85

exentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,460 Times in 572 Posts
Groans: 46
Groaned at 15 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by hnda etr View Post
Yeah you should be fine... Speedo will be about 2% slower than stock

Sent from my iPhone using lame ass Tapatalk
Shouldn't be a problem as in I wouldn't even need a roll? I don't want to mount them then find out I will and screw up new tires. Also don't wanna chew up winter tires waiting to do a roll lol.
 Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #86

hnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the world
Thanked 11,129 Times in 1,333 Posts
Groans: 90
Groaned at 279 Times in 248 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by exentix View Post
Shouldn't be a problem as in I wouldn't even need a roll? I don't want to mount them then find out I will and screw up new tires. Also don't wanna chew up winter tires waiting to do a roll lol.
No rubbing.

Edit - had some time to respond better now lol

+45 pushes you closer to the fender by 7mm. 7.5" rim adds around 6.3mm per side. On the fender side you would be around 13.3mm closer to the fender than stock. On the strut side you would still be almost 1mm further out (towards fender) than stock.

225 tires adds 5mm per side (compared to stock 215) - so on fender side you'll be about 19.6mm closer than stock - a hair over 3/4 of an inch. On the strut side, you would be about 5.7mm closer to strut than stock... Less than 1/4 of an inch.

You will have no problems on the inside side and on the fender side, I'm 90% sure you'll be ok. With my 18x8 +48 I was out a total of around 21.7 mm and I did need to roll the rear slightly. I was also dropped around 1 inch. If you aren't dropped as much as I was, you'll be even better off.

The links in the OP to the calculators will give you a visual idea of what the new size will do

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by hnda etr; 02-13-2012 at 08:19 PM.
hnda etr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hnda etr For This Useful Post:
exentix (02-14-2012), jrsmith (05-09-2014)
 Old 02-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #87

exentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the worldexentix is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,460 Times in 572 Posts
Groans: 46
Groaned at 15 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. New to upgrading wheel size so I'm not totally comfortable with how it works lol. I actually have NO drop so yea haha. I guess I'll throw em on and load it up just to be sure but I at least have access to a roller if need be.
 Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #88

hnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the world
Thanked 11,129 Times in 1,333 Posts
Groans: 90
Groaned at 279 Times in 248 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dastpe View Post
pics??
Here you go..

These are my SSR Type F 18x8 +38 with 235/40/18s

With half a tank, I still get some very minor rubbing at highway speeds hitting dips... I'll probably be raising the car 1/4" soon though, so hopefully that will take care of it... If not, I'll go to 225/40s once the current tires are thrashed...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car.JPG (548.1 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg Car2.JPG (526.5 KB, 490 views)
dastpe likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hnda etr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hnda etr For This Useful Post:
Mustspeed2010 (02-19-2016), ScarMS3 (02-15-2012)
 Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #89

ScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,493 Times in 763 Posts
Groans: 97
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice choice, that looks perfect, maybe I will get some spacers for my rx8's.
ScarMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-16-2012, 04:48 AM   #90

dastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,000 Times in 609 Posts
Groans: 21
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ScarMS3 View Post
Nice choice, that looks perfect, maybe I will get some spacers for my rx8's.
when i had rx8s i ran a 3mm up front and a 5mm in the rear and i thought it looked perfect. here are two pics for your reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0018.jpg (1.12 MB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0019.jpg (1.42 MB, 263 views)
dastpe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dastpe For This Useful Post:
ScarMS3 (02-16-2012)
 Old 02-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #91

ScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the worldScarMS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dastpe View Post
when i had rx8s i ran a 3mm up front and a 5mm in the rear and i thought it looked perfect. here are two pics for your reference.
were you running 235 width? and with those size spacers is it necessary to get hubcentric adapters? seems like the hub might extend more than 5mm, but i really dont know.

and is that an elise?
 Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #92

dastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the worlddastpe is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,000 Times in 609 Posts
Groans: 21
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ScarMS3 View Post
were you running 235 width? and with those size spacers is it necessary to get hubcentric adapters? seems like the hub might extend more than 5mm, but i really dont know.

and is that an elise?
Yes, running 235/40 with the most minor roll because I would rub with a full car of people. Does not need to be hubcentric, mine were $4 a piece. No, its an exige.
dastpe is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #93

I gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Alright guys I need a little bit of help. I'm going to need new tires soon, and since most of my bills are paid off, I think I'm going to get rims and tires. I'd like to go with some alleggerita's, but at $400+ a rim, I'm going to go the cheap route and get some rota's. I'm on stock suspension for now although I wouldn't mind having a drop in the future (car is dd, so will probably never go coilovers, so probably just cobb springs). I'd like to go 18x8, and as far as I can tell I will need about a 45+mm offset? I'd like to be able to put at least 235/40's on them, but it would be cool to be able to stuff 245/40's on em. Any idea's on what it would take? According to Nitto's site, the difference in overall width for the 245 vs. 235 is just over a quarter of an inch, so it seems like if a 235 will fit, then a 245 should. Does anyone have this similar set up? Any input is appreciated, thanks!
 Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #94

Not Ranked  0 score     

I was just looking this up today to get some for my rx8 rims, seems that it will very rarely rub on stock suspension, but 235 never will. +45 would put you in the same ball park as me so I think you could do it,but down the road if you drive a bunch of fat people around you mint need to roll the rear a bit.
 Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #95

BigRedSpecial is the leader of the worldBigRedSpecial is the leader of the worldBigRedSpecial is the leader of the worldBigRedSpecial is the leader of the worldBigRedSpecial is the leader of the worldBigRedSpecial is the leader of the worldBigRedSpecial is the leader of the worldBigRedSpecial is the leader of the worldBigRedSpecial is the leader of the worldBigRedSpecial is the leader of the worldBigRedSpecial is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,762 Times in 645 Posts
Groans: 56
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm hoping to get 245/40/18's on my RX8's. I have Eibach springs and MS camber links; any idea how badly I'd have to roll the fenders? I'm hoping not at all

My winter tires (215/55/17 on MZ3 wheels) rub like a bitch on the bumper tabs; I don't want to recreate that.

Awaiting Install: DO Stage 2//3 Bar MAP//CPe Safeseals

Winter Beater: 96 GMC K1500 5 speed 4x4

Needed: Driver mod

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BigRedSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #96

cabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by I gotthatzumzum View Post
Alright guys I need a little bit of help. I'm going to need new tires soon, and since most of my bills are paid off, I think I'm going to get rims and tires. I'd like to go with some alleggerita's, but at $400+ a rim, I'm going to go the cheap route and get some rota's. I'm on stock suspension for now although I wouldn't mind having a drop in the future (car is dd, so will probably never go coilovers, so probably just cobb springs). I'd like to go 18x8, and as far as I can tell I will need about a 45+mm offset? I'd like to be able to put at least 235/40's on them, but it would be cool to be able to stuff 245/40's on em. Any idea's on what it would take? According to Nitto's site, the difference in overall width for the 245 vs. 235 is just over a quarter of an inch, so it seems like if a 235 will fit, then a 245 should. Does anyone have this similar set up? Any input is appreciated, thanks!
you and I seem to be in the same boat. I'm not lowered yet and want to get 18x8 and my only offset options are 35 or 42mm, or 45 and I am currently on 225 but want to go to 235 later. I do not want to roll or pull that much, but will if necessary

BTW, gen1 ms3 here
Seems like 35 would be too agressive.
 Old 02-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #97

I gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the worldI gotthatzumzum is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by cabrone View Post
you and I seem to be in the same boat. I'm not lowered yet and want to get 18x8 and my only offset options are 35 or 42mm, or 45 and I am currently on 225 but want to go to 235 later. I do not want to roll or pull that much, but will if necessary

BTW, gen1 ms3 here
Yeah it seems like I could run a 245 if I don't go with a super aggressive offset. I will roll my fenders if I have to but I don't want to have to pull. I'm thinking somewhere in the 45-48mm offset is going to be key, but unfortunately we don't have too much of a difinitive answer it seems...
 Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #98

charlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BigRedSpecial View Post
I'm hoping to get 245/40/18's on my RX8's. I have Eibach springs and MS camber links; any idea how badly I'd have to roll the fenders? I'm hoping not at all

My winter tires (215/55/17 on MZ3 wheels) rub like a bitch on the bumper tabs; I don't want to recreate that.
With 245's on rx8's you need to roll the rears (Gen 1). Not a flat roll but one none the less. I'm not lowered and after rolling, rubbed only once when hit a huge bump doing 80. Considering ur lowered a lil if u have the car full of ppl, u may occasionally rub on some bumps.

Someone else needs to comment and confirm on the fact that ur lowered.

BTW, gen1 ms3 here
I would recommend 45 or higher offset for 235's comfortably on an 8. Comfortably meaning ul'l be fine with just a roll

Yeah it seems like I could run a 245 if I don't go with a super aggressive offset. I will roll my fenders if I have to but I don't want to have to pull. I'm thinking somewhere in the 45-48mm offset is going to be key, but unfortunately we don't have too much of a difinitive answer it seems...
Your right, you basically want to stay above a 45 offset to run tires with some width. The higher from 45 you are, the less aggressive of a roll/pull you need. That being said, just rolling it flat or a slight pull isnt that bad if needed. As long as you stay high up in offset and dont overdo it in the wheel width, you will be fine with a good roll..
charlesfist is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #99

cabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the worldcabrone is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by charlesfist View Post

I would recommend 45 or higher offset for 235's comfortably on an 8. Comfortably meaning ul'l be fine with just a roll.
Thanks! If I stay with 225 could I manage +42 offset?

Tapatalked
 Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #100

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by charlesfist View Post
With 245's on rx8's you need to roll the rears (Gen 1). Not a flat roll but one none the less. I'm not lowered and after rolling, rubbed only once when hit a huge bump doing 80. Considering ur lowered a lil if u have the car full of ppl, u may occasionally rub on some bumps.

Someone else needs to comment and confirm on the fact that ur lowered.

I would recommend 45 or higher offset for 235's comfortably on an 8. Comfortably meaning ul'l be fine with just a roll

Your right, you basically want to stay above a 45 offset to run tires with some width. The higher from 45 you are, the less aggressive of a roll/pull you need. That being said, just rolling it flat or a slight pull isnt that bad if needed. As long as you stay high up in offset and dont overdo it in the wheel width, you will be fine with a good roll..
I don't have a desire to run anything larger than an 18x8. Also I would like to run a higher offset as I like the tucked look more than herra frush. Do you think +45 would be good, or should I try to go with a +48 - +50? (The two rims that I want at this point have a +48, and +50 respectively) I know its not a huge difference, but Id also probably rather roll the fenders than fuck with spacers. I figure I'll have to roll the fenders if I ever want a drop anyhow (which I wouldn't mind a prokit or cobb drop).
 Old 02-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #101

Not Ranked  0 score     

I just found out my friend who works at discount can get any sub 200 dollar wheels at a decent discount, and drag wheels for about 50 off.
That being said, any suggestions for some 18x8 wheels for my cwp? I was thinking the dr34 but I also like thick spoke like the rx8s

Tapatalked
 Old 02-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #102

charlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the worldcharlesfist is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks! If I stay with 225 could I manage +42 offset?

Tapatalked
You should be able to run 42 with that tire. I have no experience with drags other than i know they are somewhat heavy and some guys were displeased with the look of the wheels in real life (bad finish/ looked cheap).

I don't have a desire to run anything larger than an 18x8. Also I would like to run a higher offset as I like the tucked look more than herra frush. Do you think +45 would be good, or should I try to go with a +48 - +50? (The two rims that I want at this point have a +48, and +50 respectively) I know its not a huge difference, but Id also probably rather roll the fenders than fuck with spacers. I figure I'll have to roll the fenders if I ever want a drop anyhow (which I wouldn't mind a prokit or cobb drop).
A 50 would put you inside the fender. a 48 would be closer to flush. If your on stock suspension, u dont need spacers on the fronts for either of those. Considering what you said, i dont think you want a 45. Look up pics of ppl here running rx8's (quite a few). those are +50 so that will give u a good idea of how it looks.
charlesfist is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #103

silvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,667 Times in 5,045 Posts
Groans: 136
Groaned at 47 Times in 41 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Konig Milligrams 18x8.5 et45 with 245/40R18's. I need a 5mm spacer up front to clear my KW's, and it will need a minor pull in the rear (already rolled).

Rear:

Front:

Last edited by silvapain; 02-25-2012 at 10:35 AM.
silvapain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvapain For This Useful Post:
ak_spray (06-11-2012), dastpe (02-25-2012)
 Old 02-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #104

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,631 Times in 3,121 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So did you really "need" a full 5 mm up front or do you think something like a 3 mm spacer would work?

I'm wondering if one could get away with those same sized wheels running a 235/40 without the use of a spacer in the front, or if I should just stick to an 8" wide wheel to avoid having to fuck with it...

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #105

silvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Nliiitend1 View Post
So did you really "need" a full 5 mm up front or do you think something like a 3 mm spacer would work?

I'm wondering if one could get away with those same sized wheels running a 235/40 without the use of a spacer in the front, or if I should just stick to an 8" wide wheel to avoid having to fuck with it...
I couldn't even fit my pinkie between the strut and the tire. I wanted as much clearance as possible without having to put in longer studs, which is why I went with the 5mm spacer. I'm not really sure what the 'minimum' amount of clearance is needed between the wheel and strut/coilover.

Both a 245/40 and 235/40 tire can go on an 8"-9.5" wide rim. I wouldn't use the minimum wheel width for a tire, as it will 'muffintop' and the sidewalls will flex more when cornering.
ak_spray (06-11-2012), sadak (11-06-2013), SLOWHATCH (03-23-2012)
 Old 02-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #106

travis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond reputetravis9935 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 41 Times in 24 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

How much are you lowered on your setup?
HT programmer, Mazdaspeed CAI, Turbosmart Dual port Bpv, Corksport Test pipe back exhaust, HTP TIP, Autotech CDFP internals, CP-E TMIC, Cobb Springs, Koni yellow struts, SU RMM, Ts shift plate, prosport bg, 10k headlights, 3k fogs, OZ Ultraleggera HLTs, Pioneer nav/dcs......On the way; Devils Own Stage 2
travis9935 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #107

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by silvapain View Post
I couldn't even fit my pinkie between the strut and the tire. I wanted as much clearance as possible without having to put in longer studs, which is why I went with the 5mm spacer. I'm not really sure what the 'minimum' amount of clearance is needed between the wheel and strut/coilover.

Both a 245/40 and 235/40 tire can go on an 8"-9.5" wide rim. I wouldn't use the minimum wheel width for a tire, as it will 'muffintop' and the sidewalls will flex more when cornering.
There's really no consensus, from everything I've ever read/heard. Some of it depends on the rigiditiy of your wheels, some of it depends on how sticky a tire you run, and some of it depends on your tire sidewall aspect ratio...

Did yours actually make contact without them (the spacers) or were they just "too close for your comfort?"

I'd say that I'd like to have 5mm clearance to be safe. That should allow a few mm of deflection without any "kissing" going on between the tire and the suspension under heavy cornering loads...

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

The Following User Says Thank You to Nliiitend1 For This Useful Post:
silvapain (02-25-2012)
 Old 02-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #108

Not Ranked  0 score     

They cleared without a spacer, but I don't know by how much. I'll have to put them back on and see if I can get a measurement.

Originally Posted by travis9935 View Post
How much are you lowered on your setup?
Rears are as high as I can get them (the KW's lower the rear TOO much IMHO). I really don't know how much lower than stock I am; it's been so long since I had the stock suspension on that I can't remember what it looked like.

I can get a measurement from the axle center to the fender and post it up.

Last edited by silvapain; 02-25-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
silvapain is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #109

Jake5713 is the leader of the worldJake5713 is the leader of the worldJake5713 is the leader of the worldJake5713 is the leader of the worldJake5713 is the leader of the worldJake5713 is the leader of the worldJake5713 is the leader of the worldJake5713 is the leader of the worldJake5713 is the leader of the worldJake5713 is the leader of the worldJake5713 is the leader of the world
Groans: 17
Groaned at 18 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So on genpu are 235-40-18s NT05s going to be fine on stock rims? Haven't really seen anyone on this setup
Stock suspension as well

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?odwlrh
-Jake
 Old 02-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #110

Celestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,033 Times in 657 Posts
Groans: 15
Groaned at 55 Times in 26 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My 17x9 +45 RPF1 with 255/40-17's are about 3mm from my front shock housing and it hasn't rubbed as far as I can tell.
Scoobs (05-07-2012), SLOWHATCH (03-23-2012)
 Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #111

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Celestspeed3 View Post
My 17x9 +45 RPF1 with 255/40-17's are about 3mm from my front shock housing and it hasn't rubbed as far as I can tell.
OEM front struts, I presume?

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Old 02-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #112

Celestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the worldCelestspeed3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes
 Old 02-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #113

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah you have quite a bit more room than those of us running coilovers... It's not really the strut body that we're worried about. It's the bottom spring perch, but at any rate, it's good to know that you're getting less than 3 mm of deflection under load.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Old 02-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #114

Domino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,904 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 73 Times in 36 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't know that I've ever seen 2 sets of wheels the same. 18x9 + 35's sit more flush than Dan's 18x8.5 +45. I just don't get it. Makes me worry about my 18x8.5 +48 a bit.

Anthony D. Christiano - Co-Owner at Inspiration Studios Photography
2008 CosmicBlue Mazdaspeed3
294whp/335wtq - Stock K04
370whp/370wtq - BNR stage 3

FreekTuned, BNR Stage 3, Cobb AccessPort, HTP tray and 3" intake, Devil's Own Meth Injection D10 Nozzle, 3-Bar Map & Plug & Play Connector, PTP Injector Seals & Studs, KritzSpeed 3-Port BCS, Sure Return, UR Downpipe, CorkSport Race Pipe, Magnaflow Cat-back, CP-E FMIC, TWM STS, TWM A6 Leopard Shift Knob, TWM Leather Shift Boot, AutoTech Fuel Pump Internals, JBR trinity, Forge Version 2 BPV, Koni Yellows, H&R's, Sonic Tuning ST100's 18x8.5 + 5/16" spacer (ET40), SPC camber arms, Cobb Rear Sway Bar, Nitto NT05 235/40/18 (front) BF Goodrich g-Force Sport 235/40/18 (rear), MSD DashHawk, 35% tint, Semi-debadged ...Unicorn Jizz
Domino81 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #115

Not Ranked  0 score     

I put the fronts back on. Without a spacer, I have 6-7mm clearance between the coilovers and the tire sidewall.

There's plenty of space between the lower spring perch and the tire.

Tapadatass
lolwrx (02-09-2016), Nliiitend1 (02-25-2012)
 Old 02-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #116

Not Ranked  0 score     

If you are worried about the spring perch, have you tried using a smaller spring and just raising the perch to maintain the travel.

Maybe that's not even possible I have never seem the clearance on coilovers.
 Old 02-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #117

Neutral  0 score     

Originally Posted by Celestspeed3 View Post
If you are worried about the spring perch, have you tried using a smaller spring and just raising the perch to maintain the travel.

Maybe that's not even possible I have never seem the clearance on coilovers.
On our setups you could remove the helper springs and get a lot more room by raising the perches, but then you'd have to worry about the spring coming unseated every time you let the front suspension come to full droop...

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Old 02-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #118

Not Ranked  0 score     

I would keep the help spring but get maybe a 2" shorter race spring.

I want to run the same set as coils as yours so I'll hopefully find someone local with them and see what I can do.
 Old 02-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #119

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm pretty sure the MS/KW kits use a somewhat "non-standard" spring size, so finding alternative springs to may be difficult. To use a shorter free-length spring you're going to have to mess with the rate, which then potentially takes you into re-valve territory or if trying to keep the same overall rate, the possibility of running out of travel prematurely due to coil interference...

Also, remember that 2" less of free-length doesn't translate into 2" more clearance at the perch when the car is on the ground.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Old 02-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #120

Not Ranked  0 score     

There is a huge gen pu aftermarket wheel thread but can't find one for the gen 1...any help?

Tapatalked

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f319/ultimate-will-they-fit-thread-everything-you-101473/
Posted By For Type Date
rustysurfsa comments on Wheel spacers? This thread Refback 02-04-2015 02:02 PM
Wheel spacers? : mazda This thread Refback 02-04-2015 11:36 AM
Tire and Wheel replacement - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 11-20-2014 03:07 PM
The Ultimate "Will They Fit" Thread - Everything you need to know about wheels, spacers and tires for your MS - Mazdaspeed Forums This thread Refback 11-07-2014 09:15 AM
Spacers This thread Refback 09-25-2014 10:53 PM
Mazdaspeed Wheel Spacers - AE Autos This thread Refback 08-14-2014 10:42 AM
Bbs c5-s This thread Pingback 08-10-2014 11:43 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 217 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 02-04-2014 11:52 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 145 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 01-12-2014 06:19 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 111 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 01-09-2014 03:29 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 107 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 12-18-2013 08:19 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 214 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 12-14-2013 11:18 AM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 182 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 12-09-2013 12:28 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 216 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 12-04-2013 06:41 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 200 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 11-19-2013 08:00 AM
Tires & Rims Spec Questions! - Mazda3Club.com This thread Refback 11-12-2013 04:31 PM
My New(used) Car - Mazda3Club.com This thread Refback 09-16-2013 09:44 AM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 11 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 09-03-2013 05:38 AM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 5 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 08-06-2013 07:39 AM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 213 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 05-24-2013 11:26 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 211 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 05-10-2013 12:01 AM
Post Your Rims Here! - Page 54 This thread Refback 04-15-2013 03:11 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 4 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 03-28-2013 10:37 AM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 174 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 03-17-2013 01:44 AM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 204 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 03-14-2013 02:13 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 210 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 01-19-2013 06:57 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 2 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 12-18-2012 07:24 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 171 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 12-06-2012 06:37 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 83 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 12-03-2012 02:41 AM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 14 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 11-26-2012 12:57 PM
Decision made for wheels This thread Refback 10-20-2012 06:58 AM
Forum Mazda Performance Series - Zobacz temat - [S] Nowe oryginalne felgi Mazda 18" This thread Refback 10-15-2012 03:23 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 147 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 09-29-2012 07:46 AM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 202 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 09-14-2012 01:08 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 20 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 08-06-2012 01:45 AM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 109 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 08-01-2012 01:38 AM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 07-22-2012 11:55 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 207 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 07-22-2012 08:55 AM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 87 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 07-12-2012 02:02 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 21 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 07-03-2012 10:33 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 196 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 06-19-2012 09:21 PM
Pic Request Thread, No Photoshops - Page 49 - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum This thread Refback 05-21-2012 08:47 PM