register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #1

PureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 25 Times in 11 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Vibration/shaking at highways speeds, after wheels tires balanced twice.......

So I just purchased new wheels and tires from TireRack: ASA GT1 wheels (16x7.5) with Kumho Ecsta ASX tires on them (225/50/16), with TireRack mounting and Road Force balancing them. I put them on and go above 55+ and I get shaking/vibration. I went to the local Mazda dealership this morning and paid $129 for them to Road Force balance them again and the car feels like it shakes worse then when before I brought it to the dealership. The tires are properly inflated and the wheels came with hub-centric rings for the car. Any ideas as to what is going on? On the highway the car is vibrating a good bit, to the point where my passenger seat is rocking all over the place and it is giving me a headache.........
PureDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Will fuck up ur day

Chimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,046 Times in 3,143 Posts
Groans: 433
Groaned at 224 Times in 138 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

check those hub centric rings.

bulge in the tires?
What exactly is the tire pressure in all four tires?

holy cheap wheels batman. Wheel quality issue?
Turismo Vids - Store your car vids and pics here! Blog your builds too!
Click here for great deals at The RPM Store! PM me for pricing!
I hear that honkey at Protégé Garage is pretty decent too.
Chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #3

PureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond reputePureDrive has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

^ASA is not all that bad for a daily driving wheel ($130); they do have a technology sharing partnership with BBS and the wheels are low pressure cast and shot peened. I was looking for a 16" wheel to handle the crappy roads around where I live and work and they were the second most expensive 16" wheel that fit the MS3 on TireRack, with the 1st being a black and chrome thing that was not to my taste.

The tire pressure is set to 35 psi front and 34 rear.

The rings appeared to fit appropriately when I installed them and they were checked again by the tech at Mazda. The rings just sit back there in behind the wheel, not being held on in any manner. I had to be careful when installing them, as they wanted to slide out when putting the wheel on the hub. Don't get me wrong, they fit securely all in all, but there is just nothing holding them on in the back (ie, they don't snap it with clips or anything). Should they?
 Old 08-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #4

LatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the world
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had the same problem with my wheels from tirerack. I took them to a local shop for road force balance and they said they were off balance from tirerack. The second balance took care of my vibration and tirerack reimbursed me the fee. My vibration was minimal in cabin but very noticeable in the my steering wheel. I put my centric rings on the wheel not the hub. That way they dont slide out...and no, they dont fasten to the hub. They just sit there.

EDIT: I also had an alignment done while I was at it.
 Old 08-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

^We will see what Mazda has to say tomorrow when they look at the car/wheels/tires again in the morning. The car tracks straight and there were no noticeable issues with highway driving before switching wheels/tires.

I can't imagine that both Tirerack and Mazda would both get the balancing this far off to create the type of shaking the car is doing. I don't know what is wrong. Pretty much the whole point of going to the 16" wheels/tires was to improve ride quality and give the car a better ability to go over broken roads surfaces without rattling the car to nothing or creating a problem. This should have been a simple and straight forward thing.........
 Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #6

LatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the worldLatinKraze is the leader of the world
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Check your wheel and look for traces that the weights were removed and replaced elsewhere. That's an indicator that they balanced the tires. Otherwise they charged you for not doing shit. Just a thought.
 Old 08-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh, I looked. The Tirerack weights are black/dark and the new Mazda dealership weights are silver. They definately re-balanced the wheels/tires. I just don't know what is going on with things now...........
 Old 08-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Re-balanced yet again and the vibration is still there...........
 Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
Will fuck up ur day

Chimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

road force again somewhere else, and check for bubbles in the tire. Axle issue maybe?
 Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Another update, more for myself to just vent than anything...........

I talked to TireRack again. As Mazda stated that they were unable (meaning, they told me that the techs just stick the tires and wheels on the computer and it does the rest, that they can not determine if a tire or wheel is out of round.......scary) to identify any issues with the tires, TireRack is sending me to a little garage in a shady part of town to have the wheels and tires looked at, as they are supposedly an authorized vendor. So, I have an appointment for 10:00AM tomorrow morning. I was going to take the wheels/tires off tonight, but I guess I will leave them on for at least one more day so that the individual can check out how the set sits on the car and to see how the hubcentric rings fit. To me, to a few here, and to TireRack, it sounds like an "out of round tire" or two, which would in the end be good news and an easy fix, which is what I am hoping for. Hopefully things will be worked out tomorrow.
 Old 08-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #11

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,632 Times in 3,121 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Good luck.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #12

bnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the worldbnoon is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,379 Times in 530 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had a bent wheel when I got my first set of MB Wheels Drifters. The wheel would balance out OK on the outer edge of acceptable (near 2 oz) but would still vibrate like a mofo at speed. Went through the same thing as you. Ended up finding a smaller shop that would test the wheel/tire for out of round and found the bent rim. I got all rebalances paid for by each shop though. Good luck!
2013 Ford Focus SE - Sold!
1986 Porsche 944 Turbo - Sold!
2002 BMW M3 - Sold!
2014 Mustang GT 5.0 Track Pack
1974 GMC Super Custom 1500 built 350/TH400 3200 stall
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #13

laxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the world
Groans: 20
Groaned at 24 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

129 for a balance in ridiculous. im sure that the balancers being used havent been calibrated in a long tong. even tho it takes 5 mins to do it.

Did they actually give you a road force measurement of all the tires?

id say there balancing with a poor machine
 Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So the saga continues............

I went to the appointment with the small garage yesterday morning. They had the old-school machine with clip-on/hammer-on weights. He jacked my car up in the parking lot with a floor jack, individually checking each wheel/tire. He rebalanced three out of four. He showed me one while it was spinning on the machine, and the rim did not appear to uniform. He stated that I would not feel the imperfection if everything balanced out ok. Whatever.......Test drove the car at highway speed afterwards and the vibration/shaking was still the same. Went home last night and took the wheels/tires off and put the stock 18"s back on. I'm going to drive it this afternoon and see how it feels. If it is still having issues at highway speed with the stock setup, then I am dropping it off at Mazda and not picking it back up until I test drive it at the dealership and am 100% satisfied. If there is none of the same vibration/shaking now that the stock setup is back on, then I will be demanding TireRack take the wheels/tires back, as I have already spent a good deal of time, burned a lot of personal hours at work, had extra wear and tear on my car, and spend a decent bit of money around trying to deal with their wheels/tires.

Thanks for listening.......
 Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
Must Have Teh 10's!

superskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,013 Times in 5,264 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 138 Times in 95 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

did any of the shops check the round of the tire and rim separate?

i had this problem and the shop i go to could test each part individually and found that all they needed to do was rotate the tire slightly on the rim so that a small offset in the tire and small offset in the rim would cancel each other out. then they did another balance with the weights after this.
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Black Mica #4126
KILLAH Built/SPEED PERF6RMANC3 (SP) 10.6:1 Pistons ~ SP 11mm H11 Head Studs ~ K1 rods ~ SP CNC Head Work ~ Crower 65lb Valve Springs ~ Fully Keyed/Pinned Motor ~ GTX35R w/Tial .82AR Hotside ~ JMF IM w/1000cc PI Injectors ~ SP 75mm TB ~ SP In-Tank FP w/Dual DW300's ~ AEM FPR ~ SP Custom PI Fuel kit ~ CPE 4" MAF ~ CPE SAFEseals ~ TR1035 FMIC ~ CPE Atmosphere DP/Ex Manifold/Oil/Water Lines ~ Tial MV-R EWG VTA'd ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ CPE BT TIP ~ CPE RMM ~ JBR TMM ~ JBR PMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ Sonic Tuning CO's ~ LED Tails ~ Sonic Tuning HID's ~ Whiteline RSB ~ ACT 6 Puck w/unicorn dust
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
Certified RichTune E-Tuner
superskaterxes is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

^No one has done this yet. It seems like people don't know crap about things anymore these days and just look at the obvious/easiest route in regards to issues. It certainly makes sense to me to break down the tires and wheels and balance/mount things carefully taking into consideration all factors. But that is a lot of work, and people seem to just want to throw it on the machine and do as little as possible most of the time. I thought the smaller guy (non-dealership guy) would do this yesterday, but he was not concerned about any imperfections with the wheels or tires. I physically saw the interior part of one wheel rotate oddly myself, but he stated it was not an issue. At this point, my first priority is making sure the car does not have any more issues and can be driven vibration/shaking free on the highway with the stock wheels/tires. Once I can again confirm what is going on with that, then I can move forward.

I catually made an appointment with a local Mazda dealership to drop my car off at 8:00AM tomorrow to have it looked at, in case I need to have it looked at. Ideally, I will get in my car in a few hours and find that on the highway, with the stock setup, the car is as smooth as it was before putting the new wheels/tires on it. If that is the case, then I can battle with TireRack around the situation. The car is my first priority. I'm just crossing my fingers at this point.

I can tell you, I will think twice about ordering wheels/tires from an online place again, even with TireRacks great reputation. I would really like to be able to drive my car down to the place where I bought the current wheel/tire setup and have them take care of the situation. A quick drive on the highway with the car shaking all over the place would indicate that something was not right and they need to fix something. Live and learn I guess.
 Old 09-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #17
Must Have Teh 10's!

superskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the worldsuperskaterxes is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,013 Times in 5,264 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 138 Times in 95 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by PureDrive View Post
^No one has done this yet. It seems like people don't know crap about things anymore these days and just look at the obvious/easiest route in regards to issues. It certainly makes sense to me to break down the tires and wheels and balance/mount things carefully taking into consideration all factors. But that is a lot of work, and people seem to just want to throw it on the machine and do as little as possible most of the time. I thought the smaller guy (non-dealership guy) would do this yesterday, but he was not concerned about any imperfections with the wheels or tires. I physically saw the interior part of one wheel rotate oddly myself, but he stated it was not an issue. At this point, my first priority is making sure the car does not have any more issues and can be driven vibration/shaking free on the highway with the stock wheels/tires. Once I can again confirm what is going on with that, then I can move forward.

I catually made an appointment with a local Mazda dealership to drop my car off at 8:00AM tomorrow to have it looked at, in case I need to have it looked at. Ideally, I will get in my car in a few hours and find that on the highway, with the stock setup, the car is as smooth as it was before putting the new wheels/tires on it. If that is the case, then I can battle with TireRack around the situation. The car is my first priority. I'm just crossing my fingers at this point.

I can tell you, I will think twice about ordering wheels/tires from an online place again, even with TireRacks great reputation. I would really like to be able to drive my car down to the place where I bought the current wheel/tire setup and have them take care of the situation. A quick drive on the highway with the car shaking all over the place would indicate that something was not right and they need to fix something. Live and learn I guess.
FWIW the machine did all the work. there was this little arm that measured the rim runout and then the tire runout. they marked one part of the tire with chalk and then one part of the rim with chalk and brought it over to the tire changer and basically rotated the tire 30-40deg on the rim so that the 2 marks matched up. this shop is run by mexicans in the back and they are all smart as hell and careful as fuck with peoples stuff. i would trust them anyday of the week with my car.

not sure where you live but im in DC metro area if your close.

EDIT: fml your in beantown
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Black Mica #4126
KILLAH Built/SPEED PERF6RMANC3 (SP) 10.6:1 Pistons ~ SP 11mm H11 Head Studs ~ K1 rods ~ SP CNC Head Work ~ Crower 65lb Valve Springs ~ Fully Keyed/Pinned Motor ~ GTX35R w/Tial .82AR Hotside ~ JMF IM w/1000cc PI Injectors ~ SP 75mm TB ~ SP In-Tank FP w/Dual DW300's ~ AEM FPR ~ SP Custom PI Fuel kit ~ CPE 4" MAF ~ CPE SAFEseals ~ TR1035 FMIC ~ CPE Atmosphere DP/Ex Manifold/Oil/Water Lines ~ Tial MV-R EWG VTA'd ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ CPE BT TIP ~ CPE RMM ~ JBR TMM ~ JBR PMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ Sonic Tuning CO's ~ LED Tails ~ Sonic Tuning HID's ~ Whiteline RSB ~ ACT 6 Puck w/unicorn dust
First K04 in the 12's
First MS6 in the 11's
Certified RichTune E-Tuner
superskaterxes is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I left work and got on the highway this afternoon and.............all kinds of Mazdaspeed awesomeness! The problem was %100 the wheels/tires from TireRack. No matter what, those things will never touch my car again.

Now starts the battle with TireRack.........and eventually the search for a new all-season/winter setup.
 Old 09-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
Will fuck up ur day

Not Ranked  0 score     

cheapwheel will be cheap.

sorry man.
 Old 09-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #20

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,632 Times in 3,121 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by PureDrive View Post
I left work and got on the highway this afternoon and.............all kinds of Mazdaspeed awesomeness! The problem was %100 the wheels/tires from TireRack. No matter what, those things will never touch my car again.

Now starts the battle with TireRack.........and eventually the search for a new all-season/winter setup.
Shouldn't be much of a battle... TireRack is known to be pretty good about this sort of thing. Let us know how it pans out.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote