register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires HaveMazdaSpeed 3 - Wheels & Tires - Have a question about wheels or tires? Need a calculator to figure out offsets? We have them in here

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By ChaunceyM
  • 1 Post By smurugby12

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #1

Kong has a spectacular aura aboutKong has a spectacular aura aboutKong has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Winter vs All Season Tires

Looking at either getting Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 or Continental Extremecontact DWS 06.
225/40/18 for both.

I've read that most members swear by the DWS. Want to know opinions on how well they are compared to Blizzaks in winter. I need new tires in general and living in MN, it would be a nice addition for the winters.

Plan on getting the DWS once spring comes around, but seeing as we're headed into the winter season, would it be better to get the blizzaks and get the DWSs once it warms back up?

Any opinions, advice, etc? I'd appreciate it!
Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #2

Cheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,429 Posts
Groans: 29
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Looking at either getting Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 or Continental Extremecontact DWS 06.
225/40/18 for both.

I've read that most members swear by the DWS. Want to know opinions on how well they are compared to Blizzaks in winter. I need new tires in general and living in MN, it would be a nice addition for the winters.

Plan on getting the DWS once spring comes around, but seeing as we're headed into the winter season, would it be better to get the blizzaks and get the DWSs once it warms back up?

Get the blizzaks then the Continental Dry Wet summer tires for when it warms up. What's the point of getting winter tires then all season?
 Old 10-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #3

Kong has a spectacular aura aboutKong has a spectacular aura aboutKong has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Cheapspeed View Post
Get the blizzaks then the Continental Dry Wet summer tires for when it warms up. What's the point of getting winter tires then all season?
I could stick with my current tires for the next season and stick with the blizzaks for winter, that's why.
 Old 10-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #4

broda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Since you're in Minnesota I'm going to say you'll want the Blizzaks
broda is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #5

Cheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,429 Posts
Groans: 29
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I could stick with my current tires for the next season and stick with the blizzaks for winter, that's why.
That's not what you asked.

You asked if you should get winter tires for winter and all seasons for summer.
 Old 10-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #6

ChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Neutral  +1 score     

Any winter tire will absolutely dominate an all-season tire in winter. Even if the roads are clear, the rubber compounds stay soft in freezing temps thus providing superior traction. Add in any snow and ice and it's not even close.
I've had great experience with Blizzaks on 3 cars, but all major manufacturers make a great winter tire.
Get winter rubber for winter and performance summer rubber for the other 3 seasons.
TWM: Full Replacement Shifter
Cobb: AP
AutoTech: HPFP Internals
Ebay: Test Pipe
ChaunceyM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChaunceyM For This Useful Post:
Cheapspeed (10-23-2016), Kong (10-23-2016), Vansquish (10-23-2016)
 Old 10-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

MikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant future
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wouldn't oversize on the DWS tires, the sidewalls are already soft enough, if you drive the car hard you might roll it over far enough and muff up the bead........ Ive gotten very close on 215's on the autocross course
CS Short Throw-Whiteline Bushings-CS Rear Bar
1968 Mustang
Built 289 w/ factory heads
Built C4
Bulit 8" posi
Runs low 14's at 100 flat
MikeBavaro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeBavaro For This Useful Post:
Kong (10-23-2016)
 Old 10-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MikeBavaro View Post
I wouldn't oversize on the DWS tires, the sidewalls are already soft enough, if you drive the car hard you might roll it over far enough and muff up the bead........ Ive gotten very close on 215's on the autocross course
Kinda just went off the stickied tire thread.
 Old 10-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #9

MikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant futureMikeBavaro has a brilliant future
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Are the gen 2's 225s from the factory?
Im assuming you have a gen 2?
CS Short Throw-Whiteline Bushings-CS Rear Bar
1968 Mustang
Built 289 w/ factory heads
Built C4
Bulit 8" posi
Runs low 14's at 100 flat
MikeBavaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-24-2016, 04:20 AM   #10

anavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,457 Times in 1,982 Posts
Groans: 63
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MikeBavaro View Post
Are the gen 2's 225s from the factory?
Im assuming you have a gen 2?
yeah that's stock size. But I also wouldn't recommend them for hard driving...I ran a set of 245/45/17 DW's on 17x9s and you could see the sidewall rubbing an inch down the tire at the dragon. DWS will not be any better, and straight line traction will be worse as well.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
anavrinIV is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-24-2016, 05:58 AM   #11
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,720 Times in 5,871 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by anavrinIV View Post
yeah that's stock size. But I also wouldn't recommend them for hard driving...I ran a set of 245/45/17 DW's on 17x9s and you could see the sidewall rubbing an inch down the tire at the dragon. DWS will not be any better, and straight line traction will be worse as well.
Lol, either quit overdriving or bump up pressure.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #12

Yatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,278 Times in 645 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If it stays below 40 there, get snows, I ran some blizzaks and they are amazing; but... if it gets above 40 it is like using a roll of electrical tape... the tread rolls right off. (we have wild temperature changes in Colorado for winter). I’ve used general Altimax (a continental brand) and they worked very well, this will be my first winter on DWS but I can say the dry and wet performance is great; they do not have any overlap on the sidewall to protect the rims though...
mods: \\// AT HPFP // AccessPort // CS S2 TIP, SRI and TMIC // CPe S2 RMM // Synapse BPV // Mazda gutted secondary cat // S-OTS+ 91S2 // HKS TP DLi II // Wilwood DP6 13” brakes // TCE 2 piece rear rotors // Maxwell SuperCap/LiFePO4 cell \\//

waiting for install: \\// CPE Catted DP // CS Battery Box // Devils Own Meth kit // H&R Coilovers \\//
Yatta is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #13

anavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phate View Post
Lol, either quit overdriving or bump up pressure.
I don't have them anymore.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
 Old 10-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #14
Eth Fiend

phate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the worldphate is the leader of the world
Thanked 21,720 Times in 5,871 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by anavrinIV View Post
I don't have them anymore.
The same holds true for all tires.

www.mazdamotorsports.com <<--Mazda racer support program that is free to join and will save you a ton of money.
phate is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-25-2016, 04:14 AM   #15

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phate View Post
The same holds true for all tires.
Understood...but the NT05s I was on last trip didn't have this issue.

I'm obviously not an expert driver my only point was I wouldn't suggest DWs if you're going for a serious summer tire.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:53 AM   #16

smurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the worldsmurugby12 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

225/40/18 for both.

Dude you'll want Blizzaks. I am from Minneapolis too. I have the exact setup above; DWS for spring/summer/fall and Blizzaks for winter. Even though the DWS is an all season tire, they are pretty lousy in the snow, especially below freezing temperatures. I don't feel safe driving around with those in the winter and I would highly recommend Blizzaks for better winter safety and performance.
Kong likes this.

Last edited by smurugby12; 10-25-2016 at 06:22 AM.
smurugby12 is offline   Reply With Quote