register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's

MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's - Want help out fellow owners? Post How-To's to simplify future installations for others.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree15Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #1

DeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default How-To: Front Sway Bar Bushing replacement w/o dropping subframe

There are quite a few threads out there claiming this is possible, but none that are easily searchable that describe it very accurately/thoroughly, so I thought I'd steal a couple of Haltech's downpipe install pics for illustration purposes and describe what I found to be the least painful way to replace the front sway bar bushings without dropping the front subframe.

Required tools:
Ramps, jack + jack stands, or lift
Socket wrench w/ 14mm and 10mm sockets
Blue thread locker (not strictly required, but it might save you from having to tighten bolts again in three weeks)

Suggestions:
I kept both 3/8" and 1/2" wrenches handy for this. A 3/8" wrench fits in the accessible area better, but a 1/2" wrench will make it easier to reach the bolts on the front side of the bar (you'll be reaching over it to access them).
Use ramps or a four-post lift rather than jack stands. I've found it's easier to button up suspension components with everything loaded.

Steps:

1) Jack it up, ramp it up, lift it up, etc. Make sure you have the nose way up in the air. You'll need to be able to scoot past the rear (dogbone) mount area for ease of access. Chock the wheels if necessary.

2) Slide on back past the front subframe. The first thing you want to do is remove the chassis brace and skidplate that protects the fuel lines (all one piece). It's held on by four 14mm bolts and one 10mm bolt. Remove the 10mm bolt (red highlight) first so that the plate isn't hanging from it after you remove the 14s. No sense bending it up too badly.

Step 1.jpg

This weighs a couple pounds and will fall and hit you in the face once it's free if you don't keep your hand on it. So, y'know, do that. Or don't. It's your face.

3) Now that you have some room to work, get on your back so that you can look toward the front of the car. You should be looking at the back of the engine. If you peek up over the subframe, you should be able to eyeball the steering rack and at least part of the sway bar, depending on how big your head is. It's okay if you can't see it. You just need to reach it.

I found the best way to do this was to reach up through the exhaust hangers and then hook my arm toward the outside of the car to reach the two bolts holding each bracket. Use the clearance of the exhaust tunnel to crank the wrench. This is a lot easier than trying to fit the wrench in at a straight north-south angle.

Step2.jpg

From here, it's as simple (or not) as undoing the four bolts, yanking the brackets, and fitting the new ones. The crossmember is raised where the brackets are anchored, and between those bumps and the shaft collars on the bar itself, you should be able to feel around in there to re-attach the brackets with minimal frustration. If you have small hands, you can also reach your fingers in under the loop in the sway bar from the wheel well to feel around for the front bolt holes. That's easier than trying to angle them in from the back.

That's it. Don't forget to reinstall the chassis brace/skidplate. Crack a beer. You're done.
friesx100 likes this.

www.speedsportlife.com
DeadWayt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to DeadWayt For This Useful Post:
allo80 (02-18-2015), Atticaz (11-15-2015), BackRoads (04-23-2015), DuBz (03-11-2013), friesx100 (07-02-2014), ge3kspd (04-13-2015), jack_hammer (03-11-2013), Jakeypoo (10-16-2016), jasper (08-22-2013), Leila (05-30-2014), mach69 (05-03-2013), mazdaspeeding (03-12-2013), xtasy (03-11-2013)
 Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #2

jack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the world
Thanked 17,252 Times in 3,181 Posts
Groans: 549
Groaned at 130 Times in 85 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

if you're just doing the bushings, you should be able to get to them from the wheel well.

1) take off wheels
2) disconnect end links
3) reach in and disconnect the bushings

caveat: the front bolt on the driver side bushing might require some extra work, extensions, u-joints, etc.

and when you put it back together, you have to just up the control arm put a load on the wheels. but, that's just another option.
rfinkle2 likes this.
ge3kspd (04-13-2015)
 Old 03-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #3

DeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the worldDeadWayt is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jack_hammer View Post
if you're just doing the bushings, you should be able to get to them from the wheel well.
I tried doing it from the wheel wells, but I couldn't get a wrench in at an angle to engage the bolts and have cranking room.

www.speedsportlife.com
 Old 03-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #4

Darren08 has a reputation beyond reputeDarren08 has a reputation beyond reputeDarren08 has a reputation beyond reputeDarren08 has a reputation beyond reputeDarren08 has a reputation beyond reputeDarren08 has a reputation beyond reputeDarren08 has a reputation beyond reputeDarren08 has a reputation beyond reputeDarren08 has a reputation beyond reputeDarren08 has a reputation beyond reputeDarren08 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Gonna give this a shot tomorrow. Im tired of the clunking. Tried to go in through the wheel well when I replaced the end links but I couldn't find a way to crank the bolts, no room.
 Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #5

stockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 68
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did it today.......car has 70k miles and I drive it in the winter. I almost gave up with the bolts, took me 3 hours.

I think dropping the sub might be better with higher mileage cars.
TumTum2570 likes this.
stockms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stockms3 For This Useful Post:
Tommy (11-28-2014)
 Old 04-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #6

himurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,275 Times in 1,867 Posts
Groans: 255
Groaned at 28 Times in 23 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by stockms3 View Post
Did it today.......car has 70k miles and I drive it in the winter. I almost gave up with the bolts, took me 3 hours.

I think dropping the sub might be better with higher mileage cars.
I did this on my Pu and it was easy as fuck. On the Gen one, it took 4 hours because we only disconnected the endlinks and everything was impossible to get to.

Sent via stockish Black Mica Pu

Pickles Tune in progress

himurax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to himurax13 For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (04-13-2015)
 Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #7

mach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks. I plan on doing this tomorrow, 5/4. Hopefully it will be as easy as you describe. I do own a gen won, FML.
Engine: CPE Nano, CPE TIP, CPE TMIC, CPE HPFP, CS BeCuse Injector Seals, SU Boost Tubes, Forge BPV V1, ITV-22, AQ Motorsports DP, Dashhawk, Spin-on Oil filter conversion, Saikou Michi OCC, Cobb AP Self-tuned, VTCS Delete, EGR Delete, TB Coolant Bypass, DFDD VVT, 3 bar map
Drivetrain: Southbend Clutch Stage 3 DD, JBR Short Shift Plate, SU Shifter Bushings, CPE Stage 2 RMM, CPE TMM
Suspension: Koni Yellows, Eibach Springs, Cobb RSB, MOOG Swaybar Endlinks, Energy Suspension FSB Bushings

Last edited by mach69; 05-03-2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Forgot a word
mach69 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #8

himurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,275 Times in 1,867 Posts
Groans: 255
Groaned at 28 Times in 23 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mach69 View Post
Thanks. I plan on doing this tomorrow, 5/4. Hopefully it will be as easy as you describe. I do a gen won, FML.
Good luck bro, let us know how it turns out.

Pickles Tune in progress

himurax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,978 Times in 8,183 Posts
Groans: 243
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts

Thief! lol

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Haltech View Post
Thief! lol

www.speedsportlife.com
 Old 05-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #11

mach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond reputemach69 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by himurax13 View Post
Good luck bro, let us know how it turns out.
Well, its done. After two hours of pissing and moaning. I handicapped myself by working out my shoulders and biceps earlier in the day. The ramps i built helped.
Engine: CPE Nano, CPE TIP, CPE TMIC, CPE HPFP, CS BeCuse Injector Seals, SU Boost Tubes, Forge BPV V1, ITV-22, AQ Motorsports DP, Dashhawk, Spin-on Oil filter conversion, Saikou Michi OCC, Cobb AP Self-tuned, VTCS Delete, EGR Delete, TB Coolant Bypass, DFDD VVT, 3 bar map
Drivetrain: Southbend Clutch Stage 3 DD, JBR Short Shift Plate, SU Shifter Bushings, CPE Stage 2 RMM, CPE TMM
Suspension: Koni Yellows, Eibach Springs, Cobb RSB, MOOG Swaybar Endlinks, Energy Suspension FSB Bushings
mach69 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mach69 View Post
Well, its done. After two hours of pissing and moaning. I handicapped myself by working out my shoulders and biceps earlier in the day. The ramps i built helped.
Damn, I bet. My neck was actually a little sore the day after I did mine.

www.speedsportlife.com
 Old 08-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #13

jasper is the leader of the worldjasper is the leader of the worldjasper is the leader of the worldjasper is the leader of the worldjasper is the leader of the worldjasper is the leader of the worldjasper is the leader of the worldjasper is the leader of the worldjasper is the leader of the worldjasper is the leader of the worldjasper is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did mine today, took about an hour including lifting the car. Your directions were perfect. The hard part is getting leverage to loosen the bolts. In all, in various ways I used a tall 14 mm, a regular 14 mm and a short extension, in 3/8"s. I used a 14 mm in 1/2" for the brace bolts. I was surprised how loose the sway bar is once the bolts were off. Greased up the new ones and put them in place. That persistent knock is gone.
TWM Short shifter and bushings, Rallysport mud flaps, 5%tint all around, 55 w 8000 k fogs, low and high beams.
Led 6000 k switchbacks, Led reverse and turn signals. 18 X 8 45 offset w/245/40's, Raceland Coil overs
jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
Ren

Ren is just really niceRen is just really niceRen is just really niceRen is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just did it. Took me about 2 hrs. Had a ratchet with a flex head, which really helped.
One of the bolts were stubborn. WD-40 fixed it.
 Old 11-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #15

Lex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for posting this DeadWayt. Much appreciated. You're a good and decent man.
Lex2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #16

a143gsxr is just really nicea143gsxr is just really nicea143gsxr is just really nicea143gsxr is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

doing this thursday night on my Gen 1. Replaced PMM with a CP-e hoping that was the clunking. nope. lol
a143gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #17

stewart stewart has a spectacular aura aboutstewart stewart has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Finished up doing this on my Gen1 this morning. Thanks for posting the details on this, DeadWayt. I used a 24" breaker bar (1/2") to back off three of the four front bolts, but the front driver bolt was a serious pain because my breaker wouldn't fit in there. Soaked it in WD-40 and left it overnight. Came right out with a big ratchet the next morning. I replaced the front and rear for good measure.....and my CLUNKING IS GONE! Thank you Jesus.

btw, I envy the guys who got this done in under an hour. My rears only took me about 30 min, but the fronts....
stewart stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stewart stewart For This Useful Post:
Leila (05-30-2014)
 Old 05-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #18

speed3 britz is the leader of the worldspeed3 britz is the leader of the worldspeed3 britz is the leader of the worldspeed3 britz is the leader of the worldspeed3 britz is the leader of the worldspeed3 britz is the leader of the worldspeed3 britz is the leader of the worldspeed3 britz is the leader of the worldspeed3 britz is the leader of the worldspeed3 britz is the leader of the worldspeed3 britz is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,268 Times in 560 Posts
Groans: 16
Not Ranked  0 score     

I find it easier to drop the subframe, more room to work with on genjuan. I wasn't worried because I already needed an alighnment. Dropping subframe, swapping bushings and putting all back together only took about hour and half tops.
Fanboy Brand Mods: A'PEXi Turbo Timer, Autotech Internals, BNR S3 V1, Bosch 3 Bar MAP, CNT 3" CBE, COBB AP V3, STS, FMIC Piping, Corksport Adjustable Shocks/Struts, CP-E Dash Pod, Safe-Seals, Enkei Evo IX (17x8+38), Exide 51RX Battery, FoMoCo XT-M5-QS, Grimmspeed EBCS, Ground Control Bumpstops, Hankook RS-3 (235/45/17), H&R Springs, Hawk HPS Pads, HTP 51R Battery Tray, JBR 88d RMM, 80d PMM, Shifter Bushings, TIG's, Secondary EGR Delete, 3.5" Aluminum WP, Mudflaps, Kozmic Primary EGR Delete, maisonvi Knob Collection, Damond OCC, NGK LTR7IX-11, Progress RSB, Prosport Boost, Oil Temp, Oil Press, Redline Tuning Hood Struts, SPC Camber Arms, Speed Daddy (Ebay) Catless DP, SP63 MAP Harness, Stratified Guardian Angel, Treadstone TR8, TRZ TMM, TurboXS H-RFL VTA BOV, XS Power V1 Manifold

Maisonvi's Inherited Motor Build: ARP L19 Head Studs, Crank Bolt, Cam Bolts, Manley H-Beam Rods, SP63 Wiseco Armor Plated Pistons,
New Rice, AKA To be Installed: Autoexe Front Bumper Cover, GT Spec Strut Brace, Wedge Engineering Seat Base, Sparco Speed Bucket Seat,

08 Mazda 6i Hatchback (The Daily MPG Commuter)
93 Mazda B2600i 4wd (The Winter Beater / terMINATOR Parts Hauler)

speed3 britz is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #19

Leila is the leader of the worldLeila is the leader of the worldLeila is the leader of the worldLeila is the leader of the worldLeila is the leader of the worldLeila is the leader of the worldLeila is the leader of the worldLeila is the leader of the worldLeila is the leader of the worldLeila is the leader of the worldLeila is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm an asshole and didn't post here when I did mine a few months ago. This was a great help and my little girl hands were able to get in and out without a problem! Thanks!

Done: AWR RMM, Cobb AP, Cobb SF Intake, Cobb TIH, Greddy ti-c Exhaust, JBR SSP & Bushings, Modified/Painted Badges, TWM Big Type R Shifter, Smoked Reflectors/Indicators, Yellow Fogs, Sharkfin Antenna, Enkei FLC-01 Bronze wheels, Corksport TMIC, Corksport BPV Hose and IC Hoses, JBR RCA, SURE SBB

Planned: Corksport Catted DP/racepipe, CP-e HPFP
Leila is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #20

ohioan is on a distinguished road
Not Ranked  0 score     

Don't know if I did something wrong or what... I did drop the sub frame (Gen 1) and after about 6 hours, finally got the old off and the new on. Theclunk, STILL THERE! My buddy that did it with me, thought it had to be something else. I kinda hoped so too because doing this was an extra shitty job.
So I just took off the end links and zip tied the sway bar. No clunk. Oh and now I do for sure need an alignment.

Probably the wrong place to ask since this is a enthusiasts site, but

what's the repercussions of leaving the bar like that?

It'll cost $350 to have mazda replace the $30 bushings... had it quoted at a couple local shops and the price was the same.
ohioan is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #21

Lex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ohioan View Post
Don't know if I did something wrong or what... I did drop the sub frame (Gen 1) and after about 6 hours, finally got the old off and the new on. Theclunk, STILL THERE! My buddy that did it with me, thought it had to be something else. I kinda hoped so too because doing this was an extra shitty job.
So I just took off the end links and zip tied the sway bar. No clunk. Oh and now I do for sure need an alignment.

Probably the wrong place to ask since this is a enthusiasts site, but

what's the repercussions of leaving the bar like that?

It'll cost $350 to have mazda replace the $30 bushings... had it quoted at a couple local shops and the price was the same.
Did you get everything tight to spec after you swapped the in the new bushings? Sounds like you didn't otherwise you wouldn't have the clunk again afterwards. The bushings being worn and the bushings being loose would likely cause a similar effect. No?

$350....that's nuts.

Having no sway bar connected = lots of SWAY and fully independent suspension.
 Old 06-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex2007 View Post
Did you get everything tight to spec after you swapped the in the new bushings? Sounds like you didn't otherwise you wouldn't have the clunk again afterwards. The bushings being worn and the bushings being loose would likely cause a similar effect. No?

$350....that's nuts.

Having no sway bar connected = lots of SWAY and fully independent suspension.
To spec, doubt it. I don't understand what I didn't unhook in order to get as much room as everyone is saying they have room under there. I was barely able to get a 3/8 rachet with a small cheater bar in there, let alone a clunky ass torque wrench...
 Old 06-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #23

azarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I didnt bother using a torque wrench, best tool i use was http://i.imgur.com/vlk3H0B.jpg. Made it a fuck ton easier and I wouldnt have been able to do it any other way.

2008 Mazdaspeed 3 GT - Cobb SRI, HKS BOV, Cobb AP V2, Sure RMM, EBC Front Rotors, Hawk HPS, ROCA PMM, Yokohama YK580, SenSen Rear shocks

Planned: Cobb TIP, Autotech HPFP, MattD RMM, Koni Street Shocks/struts
azarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #24

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,743 Times in 914 Posts
Groans: 112
Groaned at 46 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Two additional observations. Those new bushings need to be liberally greased before installing. Second, if you use aftermarket bushings, the brackets are likely to be wider than stock. The slots will likely not line up with the bolt holes. You will have to either tap the "keeper" rings on the swaybar inward to make room, or widen the slot on the bracket to make it fit. I could not get those rings to move, even hammering on them, and had to modify the JBR bushing brackets.

I chose JBR because they have re-greasable zerk futtings to keep things quiet.
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-27-2014, 07:57 AM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ohioan View Post
To spec, doubt it. I don't understand what I didn't unhook in order to get as much room as everyone is saying they have room under there. I was barely able to get a 3/8 rachet with a small cheater bar in there, let alone a clunky ass torque wrench...
First question: Did you use OEM bushings?

Youre 100% correct. I misspoke. At least one of those bolts on each side is only reachable with a super long ratchet or an air ratchet. I used an air ratchet and I did not torque to spec, just tightened as much as possible and used a lot of silicone grease.
 Old 06-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex2007 View Post
First question: Did you use OEM bushings?

Youre 100% correct. I misspoke. At least one of those bolts on each side is only reachable with a super long ratchet or an air ratchet. I used an air ratchet and I did not torque to spec, just tightened as much as possible and used a lot of silicone grease.
I used these...

Sway Bar Bushings | SURE Motorsports
 Old 06-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #27

xshigeox is the leader of the worldxshigeox is the leader of the worldxshigeox is the leader of the worldxshigeox is the leader of the worldxshigeox is the leader of the worldxshigeox is the leader of the worldxshigeox is the leader of the worldxshigeox is the leader of the worldxshigeox is the leader of the worldxshigeox is the leader of the worldxshigeox is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Try replacing the end links. I had to do both the bushings and the end links to fix all my clunks. Nice and quiet now.
license2ill (03-26-2015), ohioan (06-29-2014)
 Old 06-28-2014, 11:39 PM   #28

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,212 Posts
Groans: 110
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just came across this thread... I or the mechanics who worked on my car never dropped, loosened or even touched the subframe. The only scenario they had to drop the subframe is for the gen2 1.6 diesels.
It;s indeed a pain both in the ass and balls to change the bushings, it's 30 minutes of frustration and cursing but the subframe stays there. Keep in mind that the second you loosened all the bolts on the sub-frame you may need to re-do the alignment just to be sure. It's not mandatory but recommended even if you draw any marks with the previous position.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PS4 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend Enduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res&catted TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI, VCTS Delete, stock ported IM
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW to 28PSI, self-tuned to 32PSI

2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7 6 Speed Manual
SU TMIC, Autotech HPFP internals, Cobb XLE, Cobb EBCS
GTX2867R gen2, stock spark plugs, stock intake, stock cats and stock exhaust FTW
self-Versatuned to 22PSI
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #29

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by xshigeox View Post
Try replacing the end links. I had to do both the bushings and the end links to fix all my clunks. Nice and quiet now.
I will do this with the $26 endlinks from autozone and get back to you to let you know if it fixes the clunk. Otherwise, it's staying unhooked and zip-tied to the strut...

I'll fix it before I trade it in or sell it. With as many miles as I have on the car (116k), I don't think I'll be tracking it again. Plus Nelson's Ledges road course is closing from what I hear.

Thanks guys for the help again.
 Old 11-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #30

ihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the worldihasmazda is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My turn tomorrow... crazy thing is it didn't start to clunk until very recently... I about died when I saw this gap considering most folks had clunk with no visible signs of wear.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #31

azarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the worldazarashi is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Have fun, im gonna imagine its harder on the speed 6 to do but either way good luck. I finally replaced my rears (easiest thing in the world) cause they started to creak real bad now that its colder.

2008 Mazdaspeed 3 GT - Cobb SRI, HKS BOV, Cobb AP V2, Sure RMM, EBC Front Rotors, Hawk HPS, ROCA PMM, Yokohama YK580, SenSen Rear shocks

Old 11-12-2014, 05:01 AM   #32

CaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Tried my front ones on the weekend. Rear bolts on the brackets are easy. Front ones are seized. Gave up after 4hrs and spraying with pb blaster in preparation for a second try this weekend.
 Old 11-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #33

CaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainCode has a reputation beyond repute
Neutral  +1 score     

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416092163.189862.jpg

One bolt sheared off. Am I screwed? Probably have to drop the sub frame to get the other half of the bolt out? I got the bushings changed but still clunks on the side missing this bolt. Hoping it'll be ok through winter. Not clunking anywhere near as much as before.
 Old 11-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

Uh...how the fuck...Yah you will need to find a way to get the other piece out but likely will need to drop it now cause I dont know how the hell you would get a drill in there.

Unless you can do it from underneithe vs top.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #35

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by azarashi View Post
Uh...how the fuck...Yah you will need to find a way to get the other piece out but likely will need to drop it now cause I dont know how the hell you would get a drill in there.

Unless you can do it from underneithe vs top.

Yeah I guess I'm too strong for these bolts lol. Fucker was seized. Used pb blaster but this one decided to break in half. I'm going to have to look into what to do to get the sub frame down without taking a whole bunch of shit apart. It can't be reached from below because there's no hole lined up with the bolt.
 Old 11-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #36

Not Ranked  0 score     

Fuck it, time to get a new car.

The Following User Says Thank You to azarashi For This Useful Post:
OverBoosted (11-15-2014)
 Old 11-17-2014, 04:44 AM   #37

davros is the leader of the worlddavros is the leader of the worlddavros is the leader of the worlddavros is the leader of the worlddavros is the leader of the worlddavros is the leader of the worlddavros is the leader of the worlddavros is the leader of the worlddavros is the leader of the worlddavros is the leader of the worlddavros is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

So I have access to a lift. I'm going to guess removing the subframe would be the best plan to get to both the bushings and the end links. Or is that just a headache in its self?
 Old 11-17-2014, 05:05 AM   #38

Not Ranked  0 score     

It would certainly make it easier to get the bolts and bushings out if you drop the sub frame. There's very limited space to get a socket in there and you can't use a long one either.

I found the only real way to fit the socket wrench in there was around the down pipe area and you have limited movement like 1/3 turn at the most.
 Old 11-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #39

Tommy is the leader of the worldTommy is the leader of the worldTommy is the leader of the worldTommy is the leader of the worldTommy is the leader of the worldTommy is the leader of the worldTommy is the leader of the worldTommy is the leader of the worldTommy is the leader of the worldTommy is the leader of the worldTommy is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,560 Times in 859 Posts
Groans: 155
Groaned at 44 Times in 37 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My '07 bolts are frozen on there. I gave up on this.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #40

frothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,379 Times in 594 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I tackled this job last week.

I put the car up on jackstands and let the bolts soak in PB Blaster overnight.

Had the job done in under 30 minutes the next morning without dropping the subframe, torqued to spec and all.

Having the right tools definitely makes a difference...

Here's what I used:

I linked two wrenches together to crack the front passenger-side bolt loose from the front side.

The other three I dealt with from the rear with the long-handled 3/8" flex-head ratchet.

Once that's done, it's just a matter of backing the bolts off. A ratcheting flex-head gearwrench expedited this for me, somewhat.

The front driver's side is easily the most problematic. Unlike the front passenger-side bolt, you can't access it from the front. And although I was able to break the bolt loose with the long 3/8" flex-head ratchet w/ a deep socket, I couldn't back it off at all afterwards, due to a lack of overhead clearance.

I ended up using a stubby 3/8" ratchet (the flex-head aspect of it wasn't necessary or beneficial) with a standard-length socket and accessing it from the wheel well. No need to remove the tire. In fact, I used it as a head-rest.

If you happen to own 3/8" mid-length sockets, those might make short work of that front driver's-side bolt from the rear. Can't say for sure, as I didn't try this method...
Drive By Fire and PHB like this.
frothy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frothy For This Useful Post:
Drive By Fire (04-14-2015), rfinkle2 (04-13-2015), roguemazda (12-30-2015)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f33/how-front-sway-bar-bushing-replacement-w-140109/
Posted By For Type Date
Considering upgrading to a 3 MPS (Speed) from a 2.0 sport. What are they like to live with? : mazda This thread Refback 01-31-2015 05:13 PM