register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's

MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's - Want help out fellow owners? Post How-To's to simplify future installations for others.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree11Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 04-26-2017, 04:23 AM   #41

alden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant future
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Such a detailed How-To! Greatly appreciated. I'll be attempting this over the weekend!
DynoBunny likes this.
alden is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #42

alden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, attempted this, and everything went smoothly! I attribute my success to this thread. Thank you for this how-to!
DynoBunny likes this.
 Old 12-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #43

Mtspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Are these parts the same on the 2009?
Mtspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #44

DynoBunny has a reputation beyond reputeDynoBunny has a reputation beyond reputeDynoBunny has a reputation beyond reputeDynoBunny has a reputation beyond reputeDynoBunny has a reputation beyond reputeDynoBunny has a reputation beyond reputeDynoBunny has a reputation beyond reputeDynoBunny has a reputation beyond reputeDynoBunny has a reputation beyond reputeDynoBunny has a reputation beyond reputeDynoBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 9 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mtspeed View Post
Are these parts the same on the 2009?
Yes, as far as I'm aware they're the same.

Glad this is still up, years of write-ups I've done were messed up as I used photobucket to host and they got rid of 3rd party hosting without paying. Pretty lame. Flickr is still good for it thankfully.
DynoBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #45

Batmzr is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

The old breather will not come out no matter what I do. Please help!
Batmzr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #46

Wcdfmt510 will become famous soon enoughWcdfmt510 will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just resealed mine. Super easy.took about 15-20 min

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Wcdfmt510 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #47

Not Ranked  0 score     

I ordered the whole assembly and expected it to include the breather because all the pictures had one when you type that part number. It includes the bearing and seal. So I am trying to tap out the old breather so I can put it onto the new casing but it won't budge.
 Old 02-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #48

Not Ranked  0 score     

Got it out. Ended up having to hammer it kind of hard used a 1/4 pin punch. And his instructions he used the same 5/32 used for the cotter pin( elastic pin).
 Old 02-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #49

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Batmzr View Post
Got it out. Ended up having to hammer it kind of hard used a 1/4 pin punch. And his instructions he used the same 5/32 used for the cotter pin( elastic pin).
Breather took quite a bit of force to hammer out for me.
 Old 02-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #50

AndyMZ3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

First, thanks DB, excellent write up. I did the seal, bearing and breather repair this past weekend, and yes, "while you're in there" -- I replaced the gear oil. I paid $17 a quart for the Ford stuff. The color of the old stuff was pretty dark, and I had added about a half a quart of some 70W90 laying around to replace what was leaking out. Sorry so verbal, here is my comment -- never before had I heard what I have seen described as the whine or groan of the LSD when turning the wheel and cold. Never in 4 years of ownership, and now at 134K. Well I hear it now -- very pronounced. I am hopeful that I can find some research that informs me to replace the Ford unicorn stuff -- or just not worry about it. Again, thanks DB, at least I am not leaking everywhere!
 Old 02-21-2018, 06:23 AM   #51

Cheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,429 Posts
Groans: 29
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by AndyMZ3 View Post
First, thanks DB, excellent write up. I did the seal, bearing and breather repair this past weekend, and yes, "while you're in there" -- I replaced the gear oil. I paid $17 a quart for the Ford stuff. The color of the old stuff was pretty dark, and I had added about a half a quart of some 70W90 laying around to replace what was leaking out. Sorry so verbal, here is my comment -- never before had I heard what I have seen described as the whine or groan of the LSD when turning the wheel and cold. Never in 4 years of ownership, and now at 134K. Well I hear it now -- very pronounced. I am hopeful that I can find some research that informs me to replace the Ford unicorn stuff -- or just not worry about it. Again, thanks DB, at least I am not leaking everywhere!
I used oreillys generic gear oil. A lot cheaper and as good in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
 Old 04-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #52

sarm1084 is on a distinguished road
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Awesome write up sir! I feel like I can handle this job like a pro thanks to you!
sarm1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #53
TR6

TR6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a slight leak and going to replace the seal, but after reading this I think I will just do the full seal, breather, bearing combo. Thanks for the great write-up! Are the part numbers still the same for Gen 2 I assume?
TR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #54

Db09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 63
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by TR6 View Post
I have a slight leak and going to replace the seal, but after reading this I think I will just do the full seal, breather, bearing combo. Thanks for the great write-up! Are the part numbers still the same for Gen 2 I assume?
It's the same. Job is pretty easy.
 Old 05-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #55
TR6

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Db09ms3 View Post
It's the same. Job is pretty easy.
Cool, thanks. Parts are ordered and if all goes well they should will go in this weekend...
 Old 05-14-2018, 07:10 AM   #56
TR6

Not Ranked  0 score     

Mission accomplished. It actually wasn't that bad and went fairly well thanks to the great info here. Much appreciated. I think it took almost 1.5 hours, and I went fairly slow and careful.

My breather was fine so I did not replace it, but I did do the bearing (even though it seemed fine as well). It seems maybe a SLIGHT improvement in shifting, but nothing as big as what some of you are reporting. But overall it does seem to be a small improvement, and no more leak

Thanks again for the great write up.

Oh, and I did have to remove the guide pin/bolt. I tried without removing it and it would not come out. I actually just loosened it some (didn't remove it all the way) and that worked.

Last edited by TR6; 05-14-2018 at 07:10 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 05-23-2018, 09:17 AM   #57

Lim075 is on a distinguished road
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dagrimey1 View Post
You don't need a press to remove or install this bearing. The how to explain how to do without one. Replacing that bearing made shifting a number night and day difference.

Sent using Moto Fo Sho Doe
I need help. I replaced the seal and bearing.. but it's stiffer than before and I can't push the shifter down to get into reverse! I am having trouble getting into first and second gear too! I only replaced the bearing bc of everyone saying how much better it was.. I'm wishing I only did the seal..
Lim075 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Lim075 For This Un-useful Post:
Db09ms3 (05-23-2018)
 Old 05-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #58
TR6

Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you get it seated correctly when putting it back in? And did you put the pin back in?

I was actually going to post again today too:

Mine shifts fine and no more leak, but I am getting a bearing/whine noise, especially at higher speeds in higher gears. Any ideas? I did replace the bearing as well.
 Old 05-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #59

Not Ranked  0 score     

I did put the pin in, and tried as close to the picture as I could for the bearing. Just before the inside lip. I think it might be the shifter arms might be crossed.
 Old 05-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #60

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lim075 View Post
I need help. I replaced the seal and bearing.. but it's stiffer than before and I can't push the shifter down to get into reverse! I am having trouble getting into first and second gear too! I only replaced the bearing bc of everyone saying how much better it was.. I'm wishing I only did the seal..
Figured it out. The plastic black clip was vertical instead of horizontal. Now it's super smooth with a new bearing and seal. Although I might go back into it to do the breather.. it's kind of stiff now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lim075 For This Useful Post:
dagrimey1 (06-06-2018)
 Old 05-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #61

Not Ranked  0 score     

Anyone know the part number for the plastic clip? Or have a part diagram of this assembly? I can't seem to find it in manual transmission or transfer case etc.

ms3_pivot_shaft_seal_replacment-056
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Lim075 For This Un-useful Post:
Db09ms3 (05-24-2018)
 Old 05-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #62

Db09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond reputeDb09ms3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 63
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

How about you don't clutter this awesome how-to and create your own thread?
 Old 05-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #63

Lex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

He's asking questions related to the topic of the thread.
That's what the forum is for. Be nice.
Lex2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #64
TR6

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex2007 View Post
He's asking questions related to the topic of the thread.
That's what the forum is for. Be nice.
Exactly. Heaven forbid we follow the how-to and have additional questions or some issues arise, or someone has some other helpful info to add.

Glad he figured out his issue. I definitely have a whine/gear noise now (that was not there before) and seems to be getting louder. Could I have installed the bearing too far, or not far enough? How far in should it be installed? Anything else I could have done to cause the noise?

It shifts fine into all gears and runs fine, just making a whining noise that can't be good...

Last edited by TR6; 05-24-2018 at 01:59 PM.
 Old 09-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #65

Axoid is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

This is an awesome write-up. My 2008 MS3 (160k+) just started leaking around this area, and my local garage is estimating about $400 to repair it, all labor really. I ordered the parts from Avondale as they were the lowest cost I found and plan to do this myself soon.

My question is, before I start, how much of the trans fluid will I need to refill the case? Do I have to drain the whole case or just top it off when I am done? I called Mazda and the recommended fluid is

0000-77-5W90-QT

and it's about $15 a quart and takes 5 quarts to fill the case. I don't want to buy more than I need.

Thanks,
Don
Axoid is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #66

Lex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Axoid View Post
\
My question is, before I start, how much of the trans fluid will I need to refill the case? Do I have to drain the whole case or just top it off when I am done? I called Mazda and the recommended fluid is

0000-77-5W90-QT

and it's about $15 a quart and takes 5 quarts to fill the case. I don't want to buy more than I need.

Thanks,
Don
You dont need to drain any gear oil. Its all from the top of the transaxle my bro. Just TAKE PICS so you know how everything goes back together!
Lex2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #67

Axoid is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cool, thanks for the reply.
Axoid is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #68

Not Ranked  0 score     

Also take your time putting it back together and putting it in.

Funny thing is, my local Mazda dealership doesn't sell the gear oil for the MS3.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f33/how-mazdaspeed-3-pivot-shaft-seal-bearing-184322/
Posted By For Type Date
MS6 shifter seized in neutral? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Pingback 10-16-2015 05:45 AM
shaft pivot seal replaced - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 06-18-2015 04:28 PM
How-to: MS3 Pivot Shaft Seal, Bearing, Breather Replacement This thread Refback 04-04-2015 01:38 PM