register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's

MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's - Want help out fellow owners? Post How-To's to simplify future installations for others.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lex2007

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #1

Lex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default How-To: Tie Rods

I changed out both complete tie rods (inner and outer) with MOOG parts this weekend and took some pics for you crazy kids.

You'll need an immediate alignment after this, as this is where the actual alignment adjustment for TOE is made.

PARTS

Inner tie rod ends:

Moog EV800024 Steering Tie Rod End x 2

Outer tie rod ends:

Moog ES800026 Steering Tie Rod End x 1
Moog ES800025 Steering Tie Rod End x 1

If you haven't done it before, don't be scared. Its not at all hard. But you you will need at least one specialty tool (which is cheap at Harbor Freight) or rent for free at local parts chain if you want to tighten the new inner tie rods to spec; an inner Tie Rod Removal Tool.

Inner Tie Rod Removal Set

You can do without it but you'll be guessing on "final torque tightness". That's not so cool. You could use a crows's foot and torque wrench but that's gonna be a huge crow's foot and I don't know if they make them that big.

Mine is a Lisle brand but the same Chinese factory makes these and they re-box them for a dozen brands. Its a super simple and kinda junky tool frankly. Get the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh Brand...same crap, 1/2 the price with coupon.

If you do just the outer ends you wont need the above tool, but I think its stupid to waste your time on this project and only do the outers since the inner tie rods are cheap.

Yes the inners don't fail nearly as often, but just get it over with and move on. You'll never revisit this shit again.

My 2007 has 96k miles. My tie rods were actually still perfectly ok, but I'm hunting down a vibration in the front end and this could be a cause, plus I like my steering and front end tight tight tight.

PROCEDURE

1st jack up car, even if only onto front jack stands, take off the front wheels.

Release the small metal clip at the outside of the tie rod end plastic boot. (Sorry no pic)

Reach in and open up the metal band holding the rubber boot to the inner tie rod end (see the boot, and sway bar and the totally overrated Whiteline anti-lift bushings and the screwdriver prying open the metal band?):

Now decouple the outer tie rod end from the hub. OEM is a 14 mm bolt with cotter pin. Moog uses 15 mm. Straighten and take out the cotter pin with pliers and remove the nut. (I used an impact wrench, hopefully with hand tools the end will not spin around in place).

You can use a sledge to smack on the hub until the outer end falls out. Don't be shy. Smack it. It works like a champ.

...or you can use a tie rod end or ball joint tool to push it out. See it pushed out and dangling?:

Next, pull the boot towards you to expose the base/joint of the inner tie rod end where it screws into the steering rack. This is where you put your wrench to loosen the end. (Note: You're gonna reuse the boot. Treat it kindly.)

Now get a piece of paper and measuring tape and measure from the CENTER OF THE BOLT of the outer tie rod end to the part of the inner tie rod end that touches the steering rack.

Make sure its all straight when you make the measurement.

Write that shit down.

You're going to set the new tie rod end at the exact same total length when you put the two new halves together, so that you don't destroy your front tires driving to the alignment shop. The MOOG and OEM parts are not exactly the same configuration so you need the complete length from the rack to the center of the bolt on the outer tie rod end.

Dont measure from anywhere else.

GETTING THE TIE ROD OFF:

Now you have 3 choices. You can use one of these cheap tools to get the entire rod off.
http://www.amazon.com/Inner-Tie-Rod-Removal-Tool/dp/B00CEHS892/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1436890132&sr=8-21&keywords=tie+rod+end+removerhttp://www.amazon.com/Inner-Tie-Rod-Removal-Tool/dp/B00CEHS892/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1436890132&sr=8-21&keywords=tie+rod+end+remover

There's kind of enough space to use it. I did so on the passenger side first. Kinda clumsy and annoying doing it this way because access is difficult.

or a 32 mm wrench just fits:

Or you can use the Inner Tie Rod Removal Tool mentioned above. HOWEVER you'll need to take the outer tie rod end off FIRST to use the tool because the tool wont fit around the outer rod end.

If your inner and outer are fused together from corrosion you can cut the outer end off with a hacksaw or cutting wheel. WARNING: If you don't have the correct replacement parts you'll be without a car because the old rod is now destroyed.

I've received parts that looked identical but the threads on the inner tie rod were incorrect. When I did this job this weekend I took the first one off as a complete unit and verified I had the correct replacement parts, and then cut the other one in half and used the inner tie rod removal tool because it was easier to use the tool and an impact wrench.

How to use the Removal Tool:

If your inner and outer aren't fused together from rust then unscrew them apart with 2 wrenches (along the shaft) while still mounted to the car and remove the boot. Sorry I don't have pics. I also dont recall the size wrenches you need for OEM tie rods. I think its a 25 mm and and an 18 mm open ended wrench.

If they are fused together, use some MAP gas to heat the threads and then try. If that doesn't work, cut it apart with a saw or cutting wheel.

With the removal tool you then slip the correct size c-shaped bit into the end of the long metal tube after the tube is inserted past the end of the tie rod end. It wont fit over the end if you have the c-thing inserted before hand.

I used this one (1 and 3/16) to take off one of the OEM ends after I cut the outer tie rod end off with a cutting wheel. Remember: You need to get the boot off and reuse it. Some kits come with a new boot. Its a 32 mm end but my "Master" Inner Tie Rod Removal Tool kit didn't have a 32 mm. 1 3/16 was tight but worked.

So you slip the tool over the end and unscrew the end with the tool and a 1/2 inch drive or an impact gun. (SORRY, no pics of that)

If you didn't cut the outer end off already to get the inner end off, you can put the entire tie rod in a vice and unscrew the outer tie rod and remove the boot. SAVE THE BOOT. You're gonna reuse it.

NEW PARTS

NEXT start the new INNER tie rod end by hand and then use the inner tie rod end removal tool to envelope the new inner end and tighten to spec with a torque wrench. The Moog part is a 29 mm inner tie rod end. Not 32 mm like OEM.

Next, PUT THE BOOT ON, THE SMALL METAL CLIP FOR THE BOOT AND SCREW ON THE NEW JAM NUT onto the threaded end of the inner tie rod.

Then screw the outer tie rod end (USE ANTI SEIZE LIKE CRAZY ON THE THREADS) and match the length you measured previously.

Moog's rod requires 24 mm and 17 mm open ended wrenches.

Now use a zip tie and fasten the large side of the rubber boot over the end of the steering rack and put the small metal OEM clip over small side of rubber boot.

Then push the bolt at the end of the outer tie rod up into the hub and tighten to spec and put the new cotter pin in and fold the ends. When you torque it down you'll notice that the hole in the threaded section of the outer tie rod end is nearer to the top of the shaft. You want the hole in the shaft and the cotter pin to be with in the spaces of the castle nut. You don't want to keep tightening the castle nut and drawing the end up tight to the hub ear or the cotter pin / hole will be above the castle nut.

Now repeat same procedure for the other side.

For MOOG replacement parts: Now screw the zirc grease fitting into bottom of outer tie rod end and grease that bad boy up. You'll need a grease gun. Side note: the fittings Moog sent me didn't have enough thread to stay put, so I had to substitute some other grease fittings I had handy.

GET AN ALIGNMENT or try and do your own as an interim measure if your alignment shop is more than 30 miles away:.

See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6EllJTMrZs

Torque specs:

aromig likes this.

Last edited by Lex2007; 07-16-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Lex2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Lex2007 For This Useful Post:
Amnesiac (07-14-2015), aromig (08-04-2015), frothy (01-16-2016), lnumbp (03-16-2016), Mauro_Penguin (07-14-2015), MD1032 (01-16-2016), MSMS3 (07-13-2015), Nliiitend1 (07-14-2015), phate (01-16-2016), shnouz (04-19-2016), snailD (03-15-2017), VitaminC (02-22-2016)
 Old 07-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #2

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,668 Times in 857 Posts
Groans: 100
Groaned at 44 Times in 28 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thank you. The post of today should be a separate "How To" sticky. Well done.
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #3

Lex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond reputeLex2007 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks hommie.

Who is in charge of creating stickies?
 Old 07-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #4

monkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,423 Times in 1,917 Posts
Groans: 98
Groaned at 296 Times in 73 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@Raider; would create the sticky.
monkey.bones.007 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks Raider
 Old 07-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
Anger is a Gift

Mauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the worldMauro_Penguin is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,941 Times in 1,238 Posts
Groans: 165
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@Roddiy;

Time for us to get gay on your inner tie rod

-Delray/Grieco Mazda or Direct Auto Body, ask me why you should NOT take your car to either.
-It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slow
Mauro_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #7

Gary-L is just really niceGary-L is just really niceGary-L is just really niceGary-L is just really niceGary-L is just really nice
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This is a good write-up except for the part where the OP states "tighten to spec". It would have been a tremendous help if the torque specifications were included.

I have dug through the Mazda 3 repair manual that I downloaded, and there is nothing in there that I can find that specifies the torque values for the inner tie rod. The same is for the outer tie rod ends.

Meanwhile, my car is stuck on jack stands until I can resolve this mystery.
 Old 01-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dude the specs are in the parts explosion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lex2007 For This Useful Post:
frothy (01-16-2016), Mauro_Penguin (01-17-2016)
 Old 07-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #9

turbskies is a name known to allturbskies is a name known to allturbskies is a name known to allturbskies is a name known to allturbskies is a name known to allturbskies is a name known to all
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Does anyone know if the Moog inner will work with oem outer?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
turbskies is offline   Reply With Quote