register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's

MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's - Want help out fellow owners? Post How-To's to simplify future installations for others.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

RussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Koni Yellow Sport Install Question

I have read several DIY on Koni FSD but couldn't find one on the Yellow Sport units. After 2 months of backorders mine finally showed up.
Question is do you need to cut down the front strut bumper stops or replace with shorter units from Ground Control or Fatcat Motorsports on the Yellows or if the stock bumper stops are still in good shape can you use them as is with no effect to the strut operation ?
Thanks for your input!
RussM is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #2

R.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Most people just bought new bumper stops from Fatcat, which are shorter i believe. I think you need to cut the rears just a bit as well.
R.MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #3

RussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud ofRussM has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for your Input!
 Old 03-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
patrick failman

karl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,185 Posts
Groans: 74
Groaned at 55 Times in 47 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

depends on your car. mine (08.5) came with shorter oem bump stops but they were pretty fucked up. regardless, i'd buy aftermarket fronts and just cut the rears.

fronts...

rears...
2012 ingot silver mustang gt w/ 6 speed, 3.73 rear end, bama 93 tune, cat deletes, boss 302 oil cooler, roush cai, dynotech aluminum driveshaft, ford racing strut tower brace, dampers & springs, boss 302 sway bars, gt500 strut mounts, lower control arms & axle backs, j&m adjustable panhard bar, steeda upper control arm & 3 point braces, jlt catch can, barton short shifter & shift bracket
karl-hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #5

R.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the worldR.MS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

That's the setup the guy above your post has? The white bump stops shown are the fatcat ones. They will fit fine.
 Old 03-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by pat failman View Post
depends on your car. mine (08.5) came with shorter oem bump stops but they were pretty fucked up. regardless, i'd buy aftermarket fronts and just cut the rears.

fronts...

rears...
Thanks So Much, just took them apart and LF feel out in pieces and RF broken in half, ordered aftermarket units.
 Old 03-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #7

ms3_kidd is the leader of the worldms3_kidd is the leader of the worldms3_kidd is the leader of the worldms3_kidd is the leader of the worldms3_kidd is the leader of the worldms3_kidd is the leader of the worldms3_kidd is the leader of the worldms3_kidd is the leader of the worldms3_kidd is the leader of the worldms3_kidd is the leader of the worldms3_kidd is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

konis were on back order for 2 months? lol IMPORTRP has had them them in stock this whole time lol.

2009 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Cobb SF Intake — Street Unit Silicone Boost Tubes — Street Unit Shifter Spacers — AWR Rear Engine Mount
HKS SSQV Blow Off Valve — 2nd Cat Delete — JBarone SSP — Yellow Fog Light Overlay — 20% Window Tint
Hella Supertones — H&R Lowering Springs — Koni Sports "Yellows" — GV Replica Front Lip — HKS Cat Back
ms3_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
patrick failman

karl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,185 Posts
Groans: 74
Groaned at 55 Times in 47 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

the rear fat cats will need to be glued onto the tophats as they're not as girthy as the oem's...

2012 ingot silver mustang gt w/ 6 speed, 3.73 rear end, bama 93 tune, cat deletes, boss 302 oil cooler, roush cai, dynotech aluminum driveshaft, ford racing strut tower brace, dampers & springs, boss 302 sway bars, gt500 strut mounts, lower control arms & axle backs, j&m adjustable panhard bar, steeda upper control arm & 3 point braces, jlt catch can, barton short shifter & shift bracket
karl-hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #9

mikeySP307 has much to be proud ofmikeySP307 has much to be proud ofmikeySP307 has much to be proud ofmikeySP307 has much to be proud ofmikeySP307 has much to be proud ofmikeySP307 has much to be proud ofmikeySP307 has much to be proud ofmikeySP307 has much to be proud ofmikeySP307 has much to be proud of
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I know the FSDs get messed up when they hit the bump stop, but shouldn't the yellows work just like OE struts/shocks? Why change the length of the bump stops?
mikeySP307 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeySP307 For This Useful Post:
Nliiitend1 (04-09-2012)
 Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #10

freeryder is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Ongoing bumpstop questions :)

Originally Posted by mikeySP307 View Post
I know the FSDs get messed up when they hit the bump stop, but shouldn't the yellows work just like OE struts/shocks? Why change the length of the bump stops?
I guess I am just running into this issue now... but I was kinda wondering the same? I am planning to replace the fronts as they are likely worn, but I have also read not to mess with the rear bumpstops as they interact with the spring during normal action. Is this true? The last thing I want to do is mess up the handling.
freeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #11

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,630 Times in 3,121 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would use OEM rear stops with Koni Yellows myself, especially if on the OEM springs.

They act as somewhat of a supplemental rear spring when engaged.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #12

freeryder is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Nliiitend1 View Post
I would use OEM rear stops with Koni Yellows myself, especially if on the OEM springs.

They act as somewhat of a supplemental rear spring when engaged.
Thanks for the reply Nliiitend1! I was going to PM you yesterday some questions but I haven't posted 15 times yet so that feature is locked .

Yea thats what I have been reading. I have cobb springs, but i imagine most manufacturers are taking this into account when they design their springs and decide on spring rates. My plan is to use stock bumpstops in the rear and likely fatcats for the front.

My only worry is what the state of the rear bumpstops are in. I would order OEM replacemens but I can't find anywhere that just sells the bumps and not the whole strut and mount. Any suggestions? I really hesitate with the "fingers crossed approach".

car has 55,000km on it and has been on the springs for approx. 20,000km.
freeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #13

ant_wailes has much to be proud ofant_wailes has much to be proud ofant_wailes has much to be proud ofant_wailes has much to be proud ofant_wailes has much to be proud ofant_wailes has much to be proud ofant_wailes has much to be proud ofant_wailes has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'll be installing Koni Yellows with H&R springs soon. Are the FCM bumpstops similar if not the same as GC ones? Also, from what I've read I should only replace the front with these and just replace the rear with OEM?
ant_wailes is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, buy new FCM fronts but you will most likely will have to cut the rears a bit... so if the old ones are still good, use those.
 Old 04-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #15

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,630 Times in 3,121 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The rears are typically not in too bad a shape from what I've heard (until people start cutting them up, that is).

I haven't been able to find a place to get the OEM rear jounce bumpers by themselves...only the top mounts (which don't include the jounce bumpers).

Also, if it were my money I'd go with Ground Control front stops over the FC ones since they're a fraction of the price and from what anyone can tell they're functionally comparable.

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nliiitend1 For This Useful Post:
SLOWHATCH (04-10-2012)