register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's

MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's - Want help out fellow owners? Post How-To's to simplify future installations for others.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #1

HumbleGhost has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Question Oil Catch Can Dimensions

I purchased an OCC off of Amazon and the fitting for the in and out lines are 6mm or 10mm so I bought some 3/8 inch fuel line to run the setup as recommended by other buyers.

So I plan to use a piece of the OEM pipe from the PCV valve into a reducer to the 3/8 inch hose to the occ, then out with 3/8 inch hose to a 1/2 inch check valve, out to a 90 degree elbow that turns back to 5/8 inch for another segment of the oem hose to the IM.

My question is, will there be a problem running the OCC on primarily 3/8 inch hose?

In other words, will this be too restrictive or will the pressure that is normally flowing under vacuum do fine in the 3/8 inch tubing? I obviously want to avoid having too much gunk build up in the tubing going TO the OCC, and now I am just paranoid that my setup might be too restrictive.

Thoughts are appreciated! I already bought 20-30 bucks worth of tubing and tube connections.
HumbleGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-28-2018, 02:40 AM   #2

wowndup has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default OCC

I'm a new member and that being said, here goes: auto and truck power steering systems have used 3/8" return line for years. I guess this OCC setup is of a gravity feed type? Even if it's suction, the PSI will likely be low. You could maybe attach a hand held vac. pump and squeeze it to 3-6 PSI and see what happens. Just a thought.
wowndup is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by wowndup View Post
I'm a new member and that being said, here goes: auto and truck power steering systems have used 3/8" return line for years. I guess this OCC setup is of a gravity feed type? Even if it's suction, the PSI will likely be low. You could maybe attach a hand held vac. pump and squeeze it to 3-6 PSI and see what happens. Just a thought.
It's not gravity feed although the slope/orientation of the tubing from the PCV to the OCC should be considered to prevent pooling. During non-boost conditions the line will have vacuum pulling excess crank pressure through the PCV valve to the catch can and into the intake manifold. During boost conditions, the check valve I will install will prevent boost from leaving the intake manifold and traveling to the catch can.

My concern is that the OEM hose was 5/8 ID and I am reducing that to 3/8 for the length of the setup. Some of the sludge/oil/vapors that I have seen come out of the PCV is pretty nasty, so I wanted to be sure that having a smaller diameter tube wouldn't cause it to gunk up too fast or at all. I do plan on orienting it so that the hose runs more or less downwards towards the OCC (at least not upwards) so that gravity will help it out.

At this point, I think I will just install it like I had planned and monitor it for a while....I just don't want to ignore something they have probably engineered for a reason, unless its no big deal.
 Old 06-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #4

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Groans: 11
Not Ranked  0 score     

The most important thing is to have the can at the lowest point.
That way when the car turns off it all settles to the can. This is especially important in freezing climates.
 Old 06-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #5

tegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the world
Groans: 80
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

All OCC kits use 5/8"
I would think if you are not letting your crankcase pressures relieve itself efficiently through the PCV then it's going to go elsewhere.
May also lead to excess fuel dilution.
tegxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

Solarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Reductions in your hoses will cause back pressure and make it harder to flow through. I would keep it equal diameter to prevent it from getting clogged.
Solarsurge is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by tegxsi View Post
All OCC kits use 5/8"
I would think if you are not letting your crankcase pressures relieve itself efficiently through the PCV then it's going to go elsewhere.
May also lead to excess fuel dilution.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the catch can that I bought. The threads for the barbs are metric M16*1.5 and I can't find one that converts to a 5/8" hose barb, only 1/2" which is closer to OEM than the 3/8 inch I had planned but still not the same.

Any ideas?