register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires > Wheels & Tires - BLACK

Wheels & Tires - BLACK Wheels & Tires on black cars.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #1

Waterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Winter wheels

What's up guys, pretty new here and finally got my MS3 I've been wanting forever. I'm currently on some 17"low profiles and I'm not sure where to start looking for some winter wheels. Not sure what to get, or even where to start looking for a decent winter set up. I live in central Maine so a lot of snow is a guarantee, any suggestions on what to get and where to find them?
Waterbug17 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #2

LS2toMZR has a brilliant futureLS2toMZR has a brilliant futureLS2toMZR has a brilliant futureLS2toMZR has a brilliant futureLS2toMZR has a brilliant futureLS2toMZR has a brilliant futureLS2toMZR has a brilliant futureLS2toMZR has a brilliant futureLS2toMZR has a brilliant futureLS2toMZR has a brilliant futureLS2toMZR has a brilliant future
Groaned at 39 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm using OEM wheels off a 93 ford probe gt with 215/55/16 snow tires. That's one idea. I grew up in Maine in the Calais area..nice to see some ms3 action up there!
 Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #3

Waterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud ofWaterbug17 has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Deffinately keep that in mind, Thanks man! I've only seen one other ms3 in my area, I guess people in Maine just don't know what they're missing!
 Old 10-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #4

zatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,283 Times in 817 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm going to miss Maine winters

I use a set of Mazdaspeed Protege racing hart wheels with Bridgestone blizzaks. They did a pretty good job. I was planning on getting a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's after the Blizzaks were used up though.
CorkSport SRI/ TIP-- CorkSport TMIC-- Cobb DP-- CorkSport CBE-- Cobb AP Stratified Lex Tune-- Autotech Internals-- Denso ITV22's-- JBR EGR Blockoff-- JBR OCC-- JBR 88 Chrome-Molly RMM-- JBR 80 PMM-- JBR 88 TMM-- Corksport Skidplate-- JBR RSB

Red JBR shift knob-- VG Sharkfin--CS LED interior lights-- Hardwired Valentine 1 Radar detector-- 5K HID lows-- 3K HID Fogs-- 30% tint front, 20% tint rear
zatara is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do the 17"s fit with winter tires as well? I'm thinking about getting 16"s for a better fit.
 Old 10-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #6

Poodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant future
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I always see people recommending tire rack. Also, I put steels on, even though they are ugly, but they are cheaper to replace than your summer mags. Or, you can get a less expensive set of mags for the winter. The advantage is supposed to be that you take less of a chance of damaging the bead on your tire during the installation process.

I've always favored Yokohama tires, but Ive used Cross County too, like now as they came with the car on steels when I bought my car used. they seem good.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #7

Chuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the worldChuthor is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Not Ranked  0 score     

I got a cheap set of 17s off of a Mazda 5 on craigslist, they don't look terrible and got a set of General Altimax Artics thrown on, they've been great.
 Old 10-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #8

zatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the worldzatara is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,283 Times in 817 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Waterbug17 View Post
Do the 17"s fit with winter tires as well? I'm thinking about getting 16"s for a better fit.
That's the fit with stock suspension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 391177_412447892170218_2115471339_n.jpg (175.3 KB, 60 views)
CorkSport SRI/ TIP-- CorkSport TMIC-- Cobb DP-- CorkSport CBE-- Cobb AP Stratified Lex Tune-- Autotech Internals-- Denso ITV22's-- JBR EGR Blockoff-- JBR OCC-- JBR 88 Chrome-Molly RMM-- JBR 80 PMM-- JBR 88 TMM-- Corksport Skidplate-- JBR RSB

Red JBR shift knob-- VG Sharkfin--CS LED interior lights-- Hardwired Valentine 1 Radar detector-- 5K HID lows-- 3K HID Fogs-- 30% tint front, 20% tint rear
zatara is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.
 Old 10-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #10

KyleMS32010 is the leader of the worldKyleMS32010 is the leader of the worldKyleMS32010 is the leader of the worldKyleMS32010 is the leader of the worldKyleMS32010 is the leader of the worldKyleMS32010 is the leader of the worldKyleMS32010 is the leader of the worldKyleMS32010 is the leader of the worldKyleMS32010 is the leader of the worldKyleMS32010 is the leader of the worldKyleMS32010 is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I checked craigslist for a few weeks and finally found a hardly used set of 16" blizzaks on steel wheels for $400. It's still early so keep your eyes open.
KyleMS32010 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #11

TRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,381 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 106 Times in 69 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

also take a look at this package if you dont already have the wheels or tires

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/preferredpackages.jsp

personally i am running 18" blizzaks on one of my sets of rx8's
TRex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #12

Turbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,902 Times in 525 Posts
Groans: 12
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have bridgestone snow tires on the stock 18's for winter duty. Only got stuck once all last winter and it was in my own driveway....
The Car - 08.5 True Red MS3 GT - MODS -Cp-e nano sri, HTP 3" tip, Autotech internals, Custom fmic 28x8x3.5 cx core, Cobb ap, Autolite XP5263, Turbo_Steve SHIFT HAMMER SSP, TRZ rear mount. Atp Downpipe and custom catted mid pipe. JBR TIG, tb gasket & egr delete, XS POWER V2 turbo manifold, Aem 30-3000 WMI Kit, Ported intake By Turbo_Steve. ADAPTED PERFORMANCE SHIFT HAMMER SSP - ADAPTED PERFORMANCE ENGINE COVERS

Soon to come.

WHO KNOWS? A.D.D. FTW!
Turbo_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #13

ArmanRus is the leader of the worldArmanRus is the leader of the worldArmanRus is the leader of the worldArmanRus is the leader of the worldArmanRus is the leader of the worldArmanRus is the leader of the worldArmanRus is the leader of the worldArmanRus is the leader of the worldArmanRus is the leader of the worldArmanRus is the leader of the worldArmanRus is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,023 Times in 551 Posts
Groans: 42
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve View Post
I have bridgestone snow tires on the stock 18's for winter duty. Only got stuck once all last winter and it was in my own driveway....
Same set-up as this guy. One caveat with going with 18s though is that the tires are considerably more expensive.

If I could do it all over again I will go with 16s or 17s.
ArmanRus is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea I'm on a VERY tight budget so I might have to go with smaller wheels
 Old 10-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #15

smr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,627 Times in 708 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I use 16s off a base 3, they just clear the caliper by about .050". I run 205/55/16s, they handle the snow great, but its a long winter without much dry traction. Can't beat the cost of tires through.

We were young, and we were fearless and, after all, nobody had ever told us young engineers that we couldn't successfully land humans on another planet. So we did it.
smr87 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #16

joseph.p05 has disabled reputation
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

as some have said, the tire rack steelies/snow tire deal may be your best bet for a dedicated winter setup. looks fugly but works and keeps your wheels looking good for the spring
-ETS tmic -Autotech HPFP internals -SURE sri -SURE tip -Forge V1 bpv -Ultimate Racing downpipe -Corksport racepipe -Ultimate Racing cat-back exhaust -Corksport exhaust hangars -Corksport short shift plate -Corksport race RMM -Corksport OCC -Denso ITV22 spark plugs -10mm spacers-Continental DW 235/40-Eibach Pro-kit springs -Akebono Euro ceramic brake pads
-OEM mazda window visors -Rally Armor mud flaps -20% tint

TUNED BY:
joseph.p05 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So I got some nice Studded tires on some steelies, and appearently the center bore is one mm too short...so I call a local salvage yard who has plenty of mazda wheels, the dude asks what kind of car I have and I tell him 08 mazdaspeed 3. His response" theres no such thing, find the actual name of the car and I can help you". I replied with sir, that is the name of my car, it might not be in your data base. He laughed and proceeds to tell me I'm wrong and says he cant help me untill I find out my cars "real name."
 Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #18

white'swhiteMPS is the leader of the worldwhite'swhiteMPS is the leader of the worldwhite'swhiteMPS is the leader of the worldwhite'swhiteMPS is the leader of the worldwhite'swhiteMPS is the leader of the worldwhite'swhiteMPS is the leader of the worldwhite'swhiteMPS is the leader of the worldwhite'swhiteMPS is the leader of the worldwhite'swhiteMPS is the leader of the worldwhite'swhiteMPS is the leader of the worldwhite'swhiteMPS is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Waterbug17 View Post
So I got some nice Studded tires on some steelies, and appearently the center bore is one mm too short...so I call a local salvage yard who has plenty of mazda wheels, the dude asks what kind of car I have and I tell him 08 mazdaspeed 3. His response" theres no such thing, find the actual name of the car and I can help you". I replied with sir, that is the name of my car, it might not be in your data base. He laughed and proceeds to tell me I'm wrong and says he cant help me untill I find out my cars "real name."
when i worked for a tire shop there was no option for a mazdaspeed 3 either. instead i have to look up "mazda3" and then select the "2.3L turbo" option. every system is defferent obviously, but maybe thats how his is set up
2012 MS3 CWP- Cobb AP, CS CBE, CS SRI/TIH, UR testpipe, Corksport Downpipe, JBR 88 duro RMM, NGK step colder plugs, Autotech HPFP, ETS TMIC, Koni Yellows, Swift Spec-R Springs, Forge V1, Corksport Hoodscoop (cooler BATs, yo)
Enkei RPF1 (gold) 17x9 +45 w/ Conti procontacts 245/45

Freektuned- E85 4/8gal mix
white'swhiteMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I tried explaining that to him, he was clueless.
 Old 11-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #20

twincitySPEED6 has a reputation beyond reputetwincitySPEED6 has a reputation beyond reputetwincitySPEED6 has a reputation beyond reputetwincitySPEED6 has a reputation beyond reputetwincitySPEED6 has a reputation beyond reputetwincitySPEED6 has a reputation beyond reputetwincitySPEED6 has a reputation beyond reputetwincitySPEED6 has a reputation beyond reputetwincitySPEED6 has a reputation beyond reputetwincitySPEED6 has a reputation beyond reputetwincitySPEED6 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i just picked up a set of 02 mpv wheels for $100 of craigslist. the 6 spoke ones. i needed spacers in the front though to clear the caliper and im on 215/60/16 firestone winterforce tires. i got a good deal on the tires so i couldnt pass up. its a beefy fit but whatever

SOLD - 2007 Mazdaspeed3 210k
Current - 2007 Mazdaspeed6
twincitySPEED6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #21

Jkspeed has a reputation beyond reputeJkspeed has a reputation beyond reputeJkspeed has a reputation beyond reputeJkspeed has a reputation beyond reputeJkspeed has a reputation beyond reputeJkspeed has a reputation beyond reputeJkspeed has a reputation beyond reputeJkspeed has a reputation beyond reputeJkspeed has a reputation beyond reputeJkspeed has a reputation beyond reputeJkspeed has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I picked up a set of mazda6 rims with blizzaks for $400. Craigslist is the way to go. Or rock some steelies.
HTP 3.5" Intake | Autotech HPFP Internals | SU TMIC | EBay Catless DP | Stratified Tuned | JBR 88a Dogbone - Short shift plate | Eibach Pro-Kit | 18x8 MB Interline wheels | Conti DW's 235/40R18 | JBR Rear Sway Bar
Other fun:
Dashhawk | Single res delete | Corksport Interior LED light kit - Bypass valve hose | Vent pod boost gage | Custom Heated driver and passenger seats | Leather shift boot
Jkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

End result is fugly, but works..could use some paint too. That time of year again, ewwww salt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winter tires.jpg (152.5 KB, 29 views)
 Old 11-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #23

Poodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant futurePoodles has a brilliant future
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

in the middle of winter, with the snow and salt covering your car, who cares really what the look like. your using them for the winter so you won't damage the bead on your tire changing them twice a year, and your betting that if you unfortunately damage the rims somehow during the winter, it's cheaper to replace steel rims then your good mags. you could always have gotten 4 cheap winter mags too.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote