register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires > Wheels & Tires - SILVER

Wheels & Tires - SILVER Wheels & Tires on silver cars.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vansquish

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #1

esalem is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default I messed up

Hey yall! My name is Eric Salem, i drive a 2007 Silver GenJuan! Im currently a student at the university of South Carolina! I have run into a problem with the fuel pump and i would love any advice you could give me. I ordered the Corksport HPFP internals back in June and attempted to install. I got everything taken out except for the bottom fuel line (lack of room). I had to put everything back together as i realized i failed the install. Fast forward to a couple days ago, my check engine came on. Tried to clear it after reading with my AP, kept coming back on. Checked under the hood, and fair enough the fuel pump was loose. I am assuming i did not tighten the 3 torx E8 screws correctly when i put it back. Now 2 of my screws are gone and the fuel pump has worked it self out of place and will not budge. Any suggestions of what i should do? I know this is really a stupid isssue, im young, i wanted a fast, and fun car to drive and build and quite frankly its just been a struggle at times. Would LOVE any suggestions yall have.

IMG_3176.JPG
esalem is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,967 Times in 2,773 Posts
Groans: 1,900
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

If you're lucky those screws might be sitting on the splash guard under the engine. If you're unlucky, you may have fuel starved your engine enough to cause internal damage.

You need to pull the pump, check the O-rings and make sure they haven't been damaged (pinched) or destroyed. Then you need to check the pump, the housing, and the cam follower to make sure you haven't damaged any of those items either.

Then you need to get yourself some new screws, the appropriate variety of thread-locker or locktite, and re-install the pump properly.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
Spectrix (08-29-2018)
 Old 08-29-2018, 05:05 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
If you're lucky those screws might be sitting on the splash guard under the engine. If you're unlucky, you may have fuel starved your engine enough to cause internal damage.

You need to pull the pump, check the O-rings and make sure they haven't been damaged (pinched) or destroyed. Then you need to check the pump, the housing, and the cam follower to make sure you haven't damaged any of those items either.

Then you need to get yourself some new screws, the appropriate variety of thread-locker or locktite, and re-install the pump properly.
Thank you for the input, any idea where i could find the screws? or do yow what theyre called?
 Old 08-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #4
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,967 Times in 2,773 Posts
Groans: 1,900
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

Originally Posted by esalem View Post
Thank you for the input, any idea where i could find the screws? or do yow what theyre called?
1.5 minutes on Google : https://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/s...category=24716
esalem likes this.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #5

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 211
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by esalem View Post
Now 2 of my screws are gone and the fuel pump has worked it self out of place and will not budge. Any suggestions of what i should do?
You should stop working on the car by yourself. Find or make a friend that is knowledgeable when it comes to these things. Not trying to be a dick but if you are unable to install fuel pump internals following the procedure on here you are not ready to work on your own car yet. Its very easy with the right tools.

Is your pump physically stuck in the block? If so, you'll need to enlist some help and figure out a way to get it out. I understand you probably cant afford to tow it to a shop but the dealer may be your best bet. Independent shops might know how to work on your car as well and would be less expensive.

On another note check out the Nator section and see if any locals can lend a hand. Where are you from?
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thor Hammer For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (08-29-2018)
 Old 08-29-2018, 06:07 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Thor Hammer View Post
You should stop working on the car by yourself. Find or make a friend that is knowledgeable when it comes to these things. Not trying to be a dick but if you are unable to install fuel pump internals following the procedure on here you are not ready to work on your own car yet. Its very easy with the right tools.

Is your pump physically stuck in the block? If so, you'll need to enlist some help and figure out a way to get it out. I understand you probably cant afford to tow it to a shop but the dealer may be your best bet. Independent shops might know how to work on your car as well and would be less expensive.

On another note check out the Nator section and see if any locals can lend a hand. Where are you from?
No no i understand man, i am a true beginner when it comes to this so i probably shouldnt be working alone. I dont know if it is stuck in the block, how could i tell? I am living in columbia SC.
 Old 08-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #7

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh, man. You better hope your cam follower didn't pop out and get crushed by the cam lobes and wedge everything together. If that's the case, both you and whoever attempts to separate that mess is in a world of shit.
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Solarsurge View Post
Oh, man. You better hope your cam follower didn't pop out and get crushed by the cam lobes and wedge everything together. If that's the case, both you and whoever attempts to separate that mess is in a world of shit.
Could you explain
 Old 08-29-2018, 06:40 PM   #9

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just kidding. lmao But hopefully that scared you enough to know what's actually possible. If the car still runs and just gives you an engine code you're probably fine. Just tighten it back up. It's spring loaded, so it requires force to push in. There's a good chance you screwed up the piston though. Good news is you already have new internals.
 Old 08-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

I probably should clarify what you should do if it's "stuck"...

The fuel pump has a piston that sits inside the cam follower. It's a solid piece of metal and it doesn't like to flex. If it's crooked, it won't want to come out or go in and will seem to be "stuck." You might have to straighten it out by putting pressure on the side where the bolts came undone, threading in the bolts, then loosening the bolt that is in place. It should come out if it's straight. Inspect everything and make sure nothing is damaged, including the cam follower. The cam follower is a little bucket that sits on top of the piston. That contraption looks like this:

(Intake Cam Lobes)▷[===(Fuel Pump Piston)

When you pull the piston out, stick your finger in the hole and grab onto one of the inner walls of the cam follower bucket and pull it out to inspect it. It's normal for the sides to be a little bit worn, so don't worry about scuffs unless they're big enough that you can feel them with your fingernail. As long as everything looks fine, replace your fuel pump piston and put everything back together.
 Old 08-31-2018, 09:33 AM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I probably should clarify what you should do if it's "stuck"...

The fuel pump has a piston that sits inside the cam follower. It's a solid piece of metal and it doesn't like to flex. If it's crooked, it won't want to come out or go in and will seem to be "stuck." You might have to straighten it out by putting pressure on the side where the bolts came undone, threading in the bolts, then loosening the bolt that is in place. It should come out if it's straight. Inspect everything and make sure nothing is damaged, including the cam follower. The cam follower is a little bucket that sits on top of the piston. That contraption looks like this:

(Intake Cam Lobes)▷[===(Fuel Pump Piston)

When you pull the piston out, stick your finger in the hole and grab onto one of the inner walls of the cam follower bucket and pull it out to inspect it. It's normal for the sides to be a little bit worn, so don't worry about scuffs unless they're big enough that you can feel them with your fingernail. As long as everything looks fine, replace your fuel pump piston and put everything back together.
Thank you for all your help man, i am going to take it apart on Sunday hopefully.