register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires > Wheels & Tires - COSMIC BLUE

Wheels & Tires - COSMIC BLUE Wheels & Tires on cosmic blue cars.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #1

Ploppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default FD RX-7 16x8 Wheels

I'm thinking about picking up a set. Seems to be a popular track wheel choice.

Would love to see some pics of them on a CB MS3.

This is the closest I could find... not a Speed3, not CB, and not the finish I would prefer:

Those are chromed. I'm thinking a slightly dark silver paint. Somewhere between silver and graphite/gun metal.

Here's some bright silver FD wheels on a silver Speed3:

Any Cosmic Blue love out there?

Answered my own question, kinda:

Sacrilicious' CB MS3, on Cobb springs:

Well I went ahead and got 'em. Will post pics as soon as they get a fresh coat of paint.

Performance wise though, A+ Highly Recommended. The 50 series Dunlop Z1 star specs ride just as comfortably, if not better than the 45 series Hankook V12's (225/45-18 on 7.5" wide MS Rays). But the added grip and steering response has exceeded my expectations. Fitment is good. There is clearance for one layer of wheel weights in the front. The rears do rub over big bumps, apparently on the shocks. Sounds like some 5mm spacers may solve that. Keep in mind I have cut rear bump rubbers, so normally they may not rub. There is some tread pattern roar around 20-30 mph, but I will happily forgive these transgressions for the performance they offer. Absolutely a class above the V12's and the RE050A's. Anyone who enjoys high-speed cornering owes it to themselves to experience this level of "Extreme Performance" at least once in life. And with the added sidewall of a 50 series and lightweight 16" wheels, I feel no punishment in ride quality.

Last edited by Ploppity Drown; 01-16-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Ploppity Drown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ploppity Drown For This Useful Post:
asall667 (07-26-2011)
 Old 12-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #2

Ploppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond reputePloppity Drown has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sublime, or ridiculous?

Either way, I'm getting them stripped and powdercoated silver/gray next week.
 Old 12-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #3

goob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The silver MS3 is mine Here is some more pics
So happy I bought a set of General Atlimax Artics. I also have another set of reinforced FD's I may sell.

goob_os101 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey Goob! Thanks for the pics.

I just got mine powdercoated "Anthracite".

The storm broke for a few minutes this morning, long enough to snap this crappy cellphone pic:

In hindsight I might prefer them a little lighter, more towards the silver side.. but anything's better than the hot blue they were when I bought 'em. Oh, and I still need to find some center caps.

Performance wise, I'm in heaven. I really think this is the ideal balance between ride comfort and performance.. Extreme Summer tires on wide, lightweight 16's. The suspension is much more compliant over the rough pavement around here, yet in spite of the added sidewall the Star Specs still have that razor sharp steering response. I feel like a man among boys out on the road. It's such a direct connection to the road, and much more settled than it felt with the 18's. And the grip is fantastic. It's a similar feeling to when I first installed the Koni FSD's. I feel so much more confident and in-control of the chassis... it feels comfortable to carry 10 mph more speed on these battered LA county roads. Can't wait to get the Bilstein's on there..
 Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
The Kamikaze King!

FreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,253 Posts
Groans: 754
Groaned at 128 Times in 100 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

When are the Bilsteins going on.
I will be interested to hear how they are.
'bout the only thing I havent tried.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/FreeFlyFreak/speed-3

Suspension:
OEM --> FSD 4040 --> FSD 4040 with cut stops --> MS Coils --> FSD 4045's --> FSD4045 with cut stops --> Bilstein Sports

Yes, that is me in the avatar.
FreeFlyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Finances and inventory permitting, I'll do the install over President's Day weekend in February. Gotta see how everything shakes out after Christmas.
 Old 12-27-2010, 05:47 AM   #7

goob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Lookin good.
 Old 01-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #8

08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,999 Times in 1,306 Posts
Groans: 41
Groaned at 54 Times in 43 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just bought a set of FD's for my car. I have two mounted with 225 50 Bridgestone RE-11's. I have snow tires for now on the other two up front. I'll be mounting two more RE-11's in March before I head to Deals gap in April. Mine are going to stay stock silver for now but I'm going to order black lug nuts and paint an extra set of center caps black for a different look. The RE-11's seem wide for 225's and look badass from behind the car. I'm looking forward to April to give them a go on the Tail of the Dargon, Cherohala Skyway and Hellbender 28. I've run these roads with the stock brigs and V12's. The stock brigs did better than the V12's. I'll probably buy another set of the V12's for the stock wheels as my DD set.
EBTEC Manley Built // GT3071R // FreekTuned // Freek 3.5" Intake // Ported IM // Perm Plate Dual CC // Catless DP // CNT CB // Tokay V 1's // Autotech // AEM Failsafe // TR8 IC// GFB // JBR 88 RMM // DM PMM // JBR 70 TMM // ACT 6 puck prolite fly // Cobb RSB // 6 pc chassis braced // Koni FSD's // Cobb Springs // EGR Full delete // SWAS switch // SS brake lines // 100% Methanol Injection D14

____________________________________________Dragon Slayer _________________________________________________
08cosmic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 08cosmic3 For This Useful Post:
FreeFlyFreak (01-05-2011)
 Old 01-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #9

Not Ranked  0 score     

can you post pics? I am running 225/55 snow tires on FD's, but want to see how much wheel gap there is for the 225/50
 Old 01-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #10

08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world08cosmic3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Front with 225 55 16 Michelin Artic Alpine snow tires.

Rear with 225 50 16 RE-11's.

Side view of both.

Rear view of 225 50 16 RE-11's on FD's

EBTEC Manley Built // GT3071R // FreekTuned // Freek 3.5" Intake // Ported IM // Perm Plate Dual CC // Catless DP // CNT CB // Tokay V 1's // Autotech // AEM Failsafe // TR8 IC// GFB // JBR 88 RMM // DM PMM // JBR 70 TMM // ACT 6 puck prolite fly // Cobb RSB // 6 pc chassis braced // Koni FSD's // Cobb Springs // EGR Full delete // SWAS switch // SS brake lines // 100% Methanol Injection D14

____________________________________________Dragon Slayer _________________________________________________
 Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

Goop, I might be interested in the FD's for sale or at least two of them. I want to use a couple for drag slicks. How much do you want for the set and will you sell only two?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 08cosmic3 View Post
I just bought a set of FD's for my car. I have two mounted with 225 50 Bridgestone RE-11's. I have snow tires for now on the other two up front. I'll be mounting two more RE-11's in March before I head to Deals gap in April. Mine are going to stay stock silver for now but I'm going to order black lug nuts and paint an extra set of center caps black for a different look. The RE-11's seem wide for 225's and look badass from behind the car. I'm looking forward to April to give them a go on the Tail of the Dargon, Cherohala Skyway and Hellbender 28. I've run these roads with the stock brigs and V12's. The stock brigs did better than the V12's. I'll probably buy another set of the V12's for the stock wheels as my DD set.
Where did you find an extra set of center caps? I need a set.
 Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

RX-7 forum.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

RX7 FD's with Bridgestone RE-11's in 225/50/16. Black lug nuts with black center caps.

The Following User Says Thank You to 08cosmic3 For This Useful Post:
dizzin9 (03-31-2011)
 Old 01-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks good. Bet it handles even better. You liking the RE-11's?
 Old 01-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #16

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes. Grip is fantastic.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #17
Banned

WWPearlMS6 is the leader of the worldWWPearlMS6 is the leader of the worldWWPearlMS6 is the leader of the worldWWPearlMS6 is the leader of the worldWWPearlMS6 is the leader of the worldWWPearlMS6 is the leader of the worldWWPearlMS6 is the leader of the worldWWPearlMS6 is the leader of the worldWWPearlMS6 is the leader of the worldWWPearlMS6 is the leader of the worldWWPearlMS6 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 188 Times in 55 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not my cup of tea but to each their own
WWPearlMS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #18

jlund has a spectacular aura aboutjlund has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

You guys noticing any acceleration improvement? I've been reading up on rotational mass physics and it sounds like even if the total diameter of the wheel and tire stay the same, just the fact that the wheel size is decreasing should improve the acceleration by quite a bit. Thinking of putting on some 245/45/16's, are you guys noticing any wheelslip in 1st, 2nd with the 225's?
jlund is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Straght line the car seems faster but I won't be for sure until the drag strip opens in March. Handling is greatly improved, could be the tires but I believe the lighter more compact wheels make the car more agile. The combination is fantastic performancewise but most won't like the looks of the smaller wheels. I have always been go before show and this is the best set up you can get for the money. I paid $150 for the set of wheels and $535 for the tires, $685 total. I like the looks, I'm not looking to stand out. I bought this car because I like the sleeper, low key look of the car.

The wheels also make the front brake rotor appear much larger.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #20

kunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the world
Groans: 56
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Where do you get the mazdaspeed decal on the breaks?
 Old 01-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by kunfu View Post
Where do you get the mazdaspeed decal on the breaks?
I forget, but just google brake decals and you will find them. You can spell out what ever you want.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #22

jlund has a spectacular aura aboutjlund has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

How about wheel slip? I always thought it was such a shame, the car is clearly capable of much faster acceleration, but 1st, 2nd and often 3rd are pretty much useless!
jlund is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

Some tires have better straight line grip than others. I have Michelin Artic Alpine snow tires on the front of my car at the moment and they have more straight line grip than the RE-11's. The Hankook v12's when they were new had better straight line grip than the stock Bridgestones. The RE-11's and the stockers handled much better and cornering grip was better. Drag slicks grip but won't turn. I'm going to the drag strip in march with my snow tires. 225/55/16's. High horsepower front wheel drive cars just have issues with traction on launch, just have to deal with it.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

Snow tires grip like a mother! I have General Artics on my FDs.
 Old 02-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #25

romeox929 has much to be proud ofromeox929 has much to be proud ofromeox929 has much to be proud ofromeox929 has much to be proud ofromeox929 has much to be proud ofromeox929 has much to be proud ofromeox929 has much to be proud ofromeox929 has much to be proud ofromeox929 has much to be proud ofromeox929 has much to be proud of
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

love these wheels.

...wouldn't mind another set to use for snow duties.

-cookie cutter mods-
romeox929 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #26

mighty mouse is a jewel in the roughmighty mouse is a jewel in the roughmighty mouse is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

i kind of like the blue ones...
mighty mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #27

PhoenixWithin is a name known to allPhoenixWithin is a name known to allPhoenixWithin is a name known to allPhoenixWithin is a name known to allPhoenixWithin is a name known to allPhoenixWithin is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

Does anyone know what kind of spacer is needed to run a 245 width tire on these?

Cobb FMIC - Cobb SF Intake - Cobb TIP - Cobb AP - Cobb STS - SU RMM - 245/40 NT-05's on Gunmetal RX8 rims
PhoenixWithin is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #28

Not Ranked  0 score     

I have 225 RE-11's with Koni FSD's and they are very close to the struts, can't put your finger between them. The RE-11's do seem wider than most 225's though. I would go atleast 15mm if I were you.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #29
I'm a caveman

gtlaw is the leader of the worldgtlaw is the leader of the worldgtlaw is the leader of the worldgtlaw is the leader of the worldgtlaw is the leader of the worldgtlaw is the leader of the worldgtlaw is the leader of the worldgtlaw is the leader of the worldgtlaw is the leader of the worldgtlaw is the leader of the worldgtlaw is the leader of the world
Groans: 68
Groaned at 22 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I love these wheels I been trying to get a set for a while now.

is there any problem fitting TPMS sensors?
 Old 04-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #30

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm running TPMS in mine. They fit just fine and work perfectly.

The only problems I had were with the parts for the TPMS themselves... I bought used TPMS (off a Mazda3 owner) and found that I needed new washers/gaskets. Not really a big deal, though. My dealer just ordered the parts for me.
gtlaw (04-28-2011)
 Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #31

kunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Everyone happy with their FD's... Also whats a fair price for just the rims? Thanks
 Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #32

Not Ranked  0 score     

Still rocking mine:

I also snatched up a set of Hankook EVO 12s in 225/50/16 w/ 500 miles on them for $180 off Craigslist!

FMV is about $300-$350
The Following User Says Thank You to goob_os101 For This Useful Post:
kunfu (02-21-2012)
 Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

Any thoughts on the non-reinforced version ? Are they to weak for daily driving?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
 Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #34

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

There's no evidence that the reinforced wheels are less failure-prone than the non-reinforced. If anything, the anecdotal evidence suggests the opposite.

I am still pleased with mine. The combination of a lightweight wheel and a 50-series tire---in my case Dunlop Star Specs---is the best I've tried on my MS3. Improved handling and ride quality compared to the stock 18's and MS Rays 18's I had before.

That being said, I drive it only rarely now, and would consider trading with someone for their stock Gen1 wheels-n-tires. My car will be for sale soon so I've gotta stock it out.

PM me if you're interested. The wheels are PC'd anthracite and the Star specs have 75%+ tread. And the grip and steering response is fantastic.
kunfu (02-22-2012)
 Old 02-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #35

Not Ranked  0 score     

Unfortunately one of the sets I have is a mixed set, but I use that set for winter and I have no issues with the nonreinforced.

As far a DDing them, depends on the road conditions...ar eyou on gravel.rock back roads with ruts or are they paved?

For more protection You can also go with a 245/50/16 like walv89 did:

The Following User Says Thank You to goob_os101 For This Useful Post:
kunfu (02-22-2012)
 Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #36

snailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,277 Times in 1,283 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 25 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by goob_os101 View Post
Unfortunately one of the sets I have is a mixed set, but I use that set for winter and I have no issues with the nonreinforced.

As far a DDing them, depends on the road conditions...ar eyou on gravel.rock back roads with ruts or are they paved?

For more protection You can also go with a 245/50/16 like walv89 did:

the 245 series fit without spacers?
[443/409]SAE CORRECTED -------------245 DZ102 / 245 NT01
snailD is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

not my car...

I did however run 245/40/18 on 18x8.5 et 48 without spacers.
 Old 09-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #38

helmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,188 Posts
Groans: 219
Groaned at 70 Times in 52 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Am I the only one who hates FD's on MS3's?

Like HATE.
 Old 01-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #39

FenixTX717 has a brilliant futureFenixTX717 has a brilliant futureFenixTX717 has a brilliant futureFenixTX717 has a brilliant futureFenixTX717 has a brilliant futureFenixTX717 has a brilliant futureFenixTX717 has a brilliant futureFenixTX717 has a brilliant futureFenixTX717 has a brilliant futureFenixTX717 has a brilliant futureFenixTX717 has a brilliant future
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

bumping a thread from the past, anyone who posted pictures here want to edit their's and state if they are running spacers or not? Just curious as some look to have spacer and some don't.
FenixTX717 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #40

Not Ranked  0 score     

No spacers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 08cosmic3 For This Useful Post:
FenixTX717 (01-14-2015), jeopardy98 (01-12-2015)