register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Wheels & Tires > Wheels & Tires - COSMIC BLUE

Wheels & Tires - COSMIC BLUE Wheels & Tires on cosmic blue cars.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #1

sallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Need to paint wheels

So I guess the local car wash that I've been going to changed their wheel cleaner and I've noticed horrible streaking/spotting on my ASA GT1 silver wheels. It looks horrible. I don't have the money to get them powdercoated, nor can I afford to have them off my car for a few days to get them sandblasted somewhere. So I'm left with a weekend project at some point to prep and paint them myself. The only thing is I have no idea what color to use. I'm hoping some other guys out there with cosmic blue and have done something similar can post what brand/color they've used so I can copy you.

Also, these wheels have ALOT of spokes, what is the best way to go about stripping the finish? a wire brush? sanding?(god that would take forever) Thanks for any input.Google Image Result for http://tirereviewer.com/media/reviews/photos/original/05/38/39/ASA-GT1-silver-13-1364231701.png
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed 3 GT - COBB AP DIZZYTUNED for 30% E85//JBR Whale Penis//COBB TIP//COBB DP//COBB STS//COBB Knob//COBB shift weight//COBB Piping TR8L Core//Magnaflow CBE//Turbosmart BPV//PTP internals//SU RMM//TRZ tranny mount//Koni + H&R springs//Tinted 35% front, 20% rear//Lamin-X head-light & tail-light film//ASA GT1 18x8//Hankook Ventus V12 225/40//
sallyspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #2

N-M Speed is a jewel in the roughN-M Speed is a jewel in the roughN-M Speed is a jewel in the roughN-M Speed is a jewel in the rough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Those are the same wheels as i have. Ive been wondering the same question!
 Old 08-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #3

SpeedLife is the leader of the worldSpeedLife is the leader of the worldSpeedLife is the leader of the worldSpeedLife is the leader of the worldSpeedLife is the leader of the worldSpeedLife is the leader of the worldSpeedLife is the leader of the worldSpeedLife is the leader of the worldSpeedLife is the leader of the worldSpeedLife is the leader of the worldSpeedLife is the leader of the world
Groans: 12
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by sallyspeed3 View Post
So I guess the local car wash that I've been going to changed their wheel cleaner and I've noticed horrible streaking/spotting on my ASA GT1 silver wheels. It looks horrible. I don't have the money to get them powdercoated, nor can I afford to have them off my car for a few days to get them sandblasted somewhere. So I'm left with a weekend project at some point to prep and paint them myself. The only thing is I have no idea what color to use. I'm hoping some other guys out there with cosmic blue and have done something similar can post what brand/color they've used so I can copy you.

Also, these wheels have ALOT of spokes, what is the best way to go about stripping the finish? a wire brush? sanding?(god that would take forever) Thanks for any input.Google Image Result for http://tirereviewer.com/media/reviews/photos/original/05/38/39/ASA-GT1-silver-13-1364231701.png
I would do a temporary plasti-dip surgery until you have the funds and time for sandblasting and powdercoating or painting.

Add me on instagram: @mario_speed3

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SpeedLife is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #4

smr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the worldsmr87 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,627 Times in 708 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would only consider stripping them completely only if it is absolutely necessary. Mainly because it is a pain in the ass and unnecessary. Scuff up the current finish with a medium grit paper, shoot a light coat or two of filler primer to balance out the surface and then shoot them with your color of choice. I personally like duplicolors wheel specific paint it lays on nice and is very durable. It only comes in a few colors though, black, silver, gunmetal, bronze, and white IIRC. I've also done wheels with standard spray paint with good success but it isn't as durable as the Duplicolor stuff.

Painting them yourself isn't bad, and yields good results as long as you take your time and prep well. You can also have them done in an afternoon.

We were young, and we were fearless and, after all, nobody had ever told us young engineers that we couldn't successfully land humans on another planet. So we did it.
smr87 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #5

sallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the worldsallyspeed3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the input guys. I do plan on painting them myself just to save money. I will probably do the duplicor gunmetal. My only concern is making sure the paint sticks to the wheel. There are so many spokes and crevices I'm not sure sanding would be enough. If you look at the picture the lip of the wheel has a very narrow gap, that's the main area I'm concerned about.

Whatever I do I'll make sure to update with pics!
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed 3 GT - COBB AP DIZZYTUNED for 30% E85//JBR Whale Penis//COBB TIP//COBB DP//COBB STS//COBB Knob//COBB shift weight//COBB Piping TR8L Core//Magnaflow CBE//Turbosmart BPV//PTP internals//SU RMM//TRZ tranny mount//Koni + H&R springs//Tinted 35% front, 20% rear//Lamin-X head-light & tail-light film//ASA GT1 18x8//Hankook Ventus V12 225/40//
sallyspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #6

ccspeed3 is the leader of the worldccspeed3 is the leader of the worldccspeed3 is the leader of the worldccspeed3 is the leader of the worldccspeed3 is the leader of the worldccspeed3 is the leader of the worldccspeed3 is the leader of the worldccspeed3 is the leader of the worldccspeed3 is the leader of the worldccspeed3 is the leader of the worldccspeed3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I will be painting my wheels a grey metallic this weekend with PPG acrylic enamel paint and may even put a clear over it, but I will post a pic when I'm done.

Old - 2007 MS3 - PTE 5557 - Steedspeed manifold - Tial 38mm wastegate - Perm v-band downpipe - HTP 3" intake - Grimmspeed ebcs - CPE injector seals - SSP OCC - Treadstone TR10 - 3 bar map sensor - battery relocation
ccspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote