register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
> Members Rides Gallery

Members Rides Gallery General Area For Posting Pictures, Thread Themes, Etc for your car

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree12Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #121

Spirry is the leader of the worldSpirry is the leader of the worldSpirry is the leader of the worldSpirry is the leader of the worldSpirry is the leader of the worldSpirry is the leader of the worldSpirry is the leader of the worldSpirry is the leader of the worldSpirry is the leader of the worldSpirry is the leader of the worldSpirry is the leader of the world
Groans: 31
Groaned at 28 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

E85 setup is pretty straight forward. Just need your maf calibration close. I can meet up with you sometime if you want me to get you setup. Can even get your maf cal dialed in.

Much easier than it seems. Once you have a dialed in e85 map, and you err on the side of more gasoline, you just flash it after filling up. More gasoline = richer mixture, more ethanol = leaner mixture.
Spirry is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #122

Mr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So the MS3 does still exist, but since May it has spent most of the time chilling in the garage on the Battery Tender...meanwhile the majority of my time has been occupied working with the Le Mans / ALMS teams.

Most of June was spent in France helping to support Aston Martin Racing at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The factory team was running 5 cars in the race this year to celebrate their 100th anniversary and I was assigned to work mainly with the #97 & #99 GTE Pro cars that were driven by Darren Turner/Peter Dumbreck/Stefan Mucke & Fred Mackoweicki/Rob Bell/Bruno Senna.

dl_lm_thursday_19 by whbostic1, on Flickr

J5-JulieSueur_LM2013_qualif1_07 by whbostic1, on Flickr

DSC00629 by whbostic1, on Flickr

This was my first Le Mans race, and it had many ups & downs which included qualifying 1/2 for the GTE Pro class, followed by the fatal crash of Allen Simonsen in our GTE-Am team car on the 2nd lap of the race. The #97 & #99 car lead the majority of the race before the #99 crashed out with 5 hours to go, then with 1.5 hours left the #97 car was a half-second behind the leading Porsche and gaining 2 seconds a lap in the rain before the car had to pit to fix and issue with the failing floorboard mounts. The car finished in 3rd place, behind both of the factory Porsches, and it was easily the most depressing podium finish I have been a part of...in total I was awake for 38 hours straight from Saturday morning warm-up to Sunday evening.

After returning from France most of my July & August weekends have been spent working with my assigned ALMS team of the BMW Z4's where the cars have raced at Lime Rock, Mosport and Road America since the Le Mans break.

I have a few weekends at home over the next few months and am hoping to get a few runs in with the MS3 at some local AutoX events. By the end of the year I should have 3-4 events in with the current STX set-up on the BFG Rivals...next up should be the Atlanta Region's event next weekend at Turner Field. I'll continue to update this blog with any pics/videos & results from the events I am able to make through the rest of the year.
SCCA - Central Carolinas Region (DSP #71)
My DSP AutoX Build: Members Rides Gallery > Mr_Bill's DSP AutoX Build
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Bill For This Useful Post:
2008MS3H (09-02-2013), 802MS3 (06-26-2014), Nliiitend1 (08-22-2013), saitek (08-24-2013)
 Old 04-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #123

Mr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the worldMr_Bill is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So I've still been chipping away with the MS3 and ran a couple events at the end of 2013 before heading into the off-season. During the winter months the only real upgrades were a new set of stock rotors with some EBC YellowStuff brake pads...

photo 1 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

photo 2 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

Other than the new brakes the car was unchanged from 2013 with the following suspension set-up heading into the first few events of the 2014 season...

K-Mac Camber Plates
AWR Strut Housing
Koni 8611-1256 Strut Inserts
Koni 8040 Revalved Rear Shocks
Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar (full stiff)
FSB Disconected
800 lb. Hyperco Springs (Front & Rear)
SPC Rear Camber Arms

Central Carolinas Region AutoX #1 - ZMax Dragway - March 1st

Over the past few seasons the CCR region has really grown thanks to the benefit of having a nice site like the parking lot beside ZMax Dragway, and as a result we have multiple national champions and drivers who have trophied running on a regular event with the club. The Pro class is always strong at these events and a good chance to see how the car stacks up vs. National-level competition...

pstx_71_K44A3234 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

pstx_71_K44A3229 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

pstx_71_K44A3006 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

The changes to the brakes did help with some improvement in initial bite and braking power...but I wouldn't call it a night-and-day difference since the stock brake pads are pretty good IMO for this car. Overall the car balance felt like I had remembered with a neutral entry and mid-corner that leads to exit U/S while trying to get on the power. This course also featured some tighter sections that worked against the MS3. For tires I'm still running on the first set of BFG Rivals I had purchased with the grip level holding pretty consistent as they wear...after running on R-comps for so many seasons since the beginning I have enjoyed the change to street tires as I can now focus on improving my driving line through the course vs. having to manage the grip level (especially when running the 285 front R1-S tires) at the same time.

CCR AutoX #1 Results
PAX: 30 / 192
PRO: 25 / 40
STX: 3 / 13

Next event would be the CCR region's 2nd AutoX of the year at the same site in April.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Bill For This Useful Post:
justint5387 (04-18-2014), Nliiitend1 (04-19-2014)
 Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #124

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Central Carolinas Region AutoX #2 - ZMax Dragway - April 5th

No changes were made to the car between the first two events of the 2014 season as the biggest goal was to get more seat time to get a good baseline before making any tweaks to the set-up...

CCRAutoX2_3 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

CCRAutoX2_2 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

CCRAutoX2_1 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

So the car felt pretty much the same although the course was a little more favorable to the MS3 platform at this event, and overall I was pretty happy with my driving and think I have a good feel for where the car stands as of right now. For tire pressures I have been sticking with 37-38 psi front (bled back down between runs) and 50-55 psi rear to help generate some rotation...at this event I sprayed the front tires down between runs and this did seem to help a little (or maybe it was just in my head) as you can feel the car gain more U/S from run-to-run when the front tires overheat a little and lose traction. The rear tires also gain a little traction with more runs from the little beat of heat they do generate...so both ends of the car are working to increase the U/S when the run count increases.

CCR AutoX #2 Results
PAX: 25 / 201
PRO: 23 / 36
STX: 2 / 14

As a reference the top STX car at these events is an RX-8 that competed at the Wilmington Match Tour last weekend and placed 2nd out of 18 cars...if I were to keep the same delta from the first two CCR events of the year (1-1.5 seconds on a ~75 second course) and look at Wilmington (~65 second course) this would have placed me around 6-7th out of 18. Not an exact science but a rough estimate for where I think the car would place.

Now that I have a good baseline on the car again the plan is to make a few upgrades over the next months starting with changing out the LCA bushings (still stock). I have had the TopSpeed bushings laying around the garage for a while and ordered a new set of LCA's through the Mazdaspeed motorsports program & plan on burning out the stock bushings and installing the TopSpeed's this weekend. It would be ideal to use the Whiteline bushings that increase the amount of positive caster in the front to help the front grip level (have read good reviews about the results)...but this is illegal for the STX class. I also have some time scheduled at the beginning of May to take the car to a shop in Charlotte & finally have the valves cleaned with a good tune on the engine for STX prep. I'm hoping to have all of this work completed in time for the Atlanta Match Tour event in the middle of May. New springs have also been ordered so I now have the following sets to play with for car balance...

Front: 800 lb. (on the car now)
700 lb.
Rear 800 lb. (on the car now)
600 lb.
900 lb.
1000 lb.

My next event will be a 2 day weekend (Charity AutoX & South Carolina Region event at the Michelin Proving Grounds) and is only 30 minutes from my house...so the plan is to run on the current set-up with the upgraded LCA bushings and make a change overnight before the 2nd day of competition. I'm looking forward to playing around with the set-up and see what I can find.

Planned Future Schedule:
April 27 South Carolina Region AutoX #2 - Michelin Proving Grounds
May 17-18 SCCA Match Tour - Atlanta, GA
May 26 Central Carolinas Region AutoX #4 - Carolina Motorsports Park
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Bill For This Useful Post:
saitek (04-20-2014)
 Old 05-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #125

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Catching up on happenings over the last month...

My next event was at the Michelin Proving Grounds with the South Carolina region. Car set-up remained mostly unchanged from the last Z-Max event except for reducing my rear camber from -1 to -0.5 deg on both sides...

South Carolina Region Event #3 - Michelin Proving Grounds

10252087_654129761307051_4039823806970124805_n by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

10277767_654129797973714_4059315848436761474_n by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

Overall I liked the car balance better on this surface (smooth high grip asphalt) vs. Z-Max (smooth sealed asphalt) as you could get enough front grip to generate some rotation (plus removing some rear camber probably helped) that could easily be controlled at the limit. The course was pretty fast and free-flowing that really fit the MS3 well and I would like to keep this set-up for future events at this site.

SCR AutoX #3 Results
PAX: 13 / 126
PRO: 10 / 33
STX: 2 / 8

Before running at the upcoming SCCA Match Tour in Atlanta I dropped the car off at 42 Autosports in Concord, NC to have some much needed valve cleaning completed (car is currently at 56k miles and this will be the first cleaning) along with some engine tuning on their Mustang dyno. I was really happy with the work they did and got to hang out in the morning while the tuning was completed to check out the process. This shop works mainly with Subraru's but has tuned some MS3's before using the COBB AP. My final STX-legal map (solid line on first chart) is below along with an updated Stage2 map (second chart) for driving around on the street. The biggest limitation with the STX map is the stock boost limits which resulted in a pretty big drop around 5000rpm...

photo(2) by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

photo 3 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

photo 2(1) by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

Other than the engine tuning & maintenance I had ordered a new set of control arms and swapped out the stock bushings for the TopSpeed bushings that had been in the garage for a while. The Atlanta Match Tour would be my first chance to check them out.
justint5387 (05-25-2014)
 Old 05-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #126

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

SCCA National Match Tour - Turner Field, Atlanta

This would be my first event at Turner Field where the Atlanta Region runs the majority of their schedule...I have ran with them in the past but always at Atlanta Motor Speedway. I drove down early Friday morning to get some runs on their test & tune course which is a sealed asphalt lot similar to Z-Max in Charlotte.

photo 4 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

The car set-up had not been changed since the LPG event with things standing as follows...
Front Camber = ~-2.9
Rear Camber = ~-0.5
Front Toe = 1/8" Out
Rear Toe = 1/16" Out
Spring Rate = 800F / 800R
FSB = Disconnected
RSB = Hotchkis Full Stiff
Tires = BFG Rivals w/ ~10 Events & 50 or so runs
Pressures = 37F / 55R

During the test runs the car was pretty limited by a lack of front grip & flat-sliding through mid-corner to exit. The course surface was sealed and very smooth so it felt like there wasn't any roughness to generate enough front grip plus the lot was pretty bumpy and with the higher spring rates the car was a hand full to drive. There was an RX-8 in STX that has trophied at Nationals before and they were about 0.5 seconds faster on the 35 second course, so overnight I decided to change the 800lb rear springs out for the 900lb in an attempt to get some more rotation through the corners.

Day 1 Results - Class Competition
STX: 6 / 13

photo 5 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

The first day of the match tour format consists of standard class competitions with 4 runs per car and the Top 8 PAX drivers from each heat advancing to Sunday's super shootout. The weather was nice and dry all day...except for my run group which consisted of all the ST* classes. There was just enough rainfall to wet the track for my first 3 runs before I got a dry run in at the end which put me in 3rd place at the time...unfortunately the way things worked out the 2nd drivers in 2-driver cars got a dry run on their 3rd & 4th runs so I dropped down to 6th place as the majority of 2nd drivers were able to improve with their second dry run.

I was pretty happy with my finish but bummed to only be 0.2 seconds out of 4th place and a trophy spot...the rear spring change I made overnight was a step in the right direction and the car handled really well (the "butt" dyno told me the engine tune was a help and the front bushings helped with response times through the quick transitions) but I had to be easy on the throttle (sans my 4th / dry run) with the slick surface to prevent tire spinning. With the higher spring rate in the rear I was able to drop the pressures down to 45 psi to dial in the balance. Unfortunately the weather played a factor so I'm not sure I got an accurate read yet on how competitive the car is in it's current state. In my heat I finished 22nd in PAX so I would not advance to the Super Shootout and would get 2 runs with everyone else on Sunday morning.

Day 2 - Bracket Eliminations

So the match tour format is pretty confusing and my approach was to just keep driving until they kicked me out, but I'll try to explain it as well as I can...to start out Sunday morning everyone who didn't make the Super Shootout would get 2 runs staying with the same run group as Saturday. There was quite a bit of rain in Atlanta on Sunday, but this actually played into my hands as all those days of wet handling testing at work paid off while a lot of people struggled with driving in the wet. It seemed like the harder it rained the higher up I finished...

Round 1: Top 16 Cars per Heat Advance (2 Runs)
Finish: 9th / 40 --> Advance to 2nd Round
Round 2: Top 10 from 16 Cars Advance (1 Run)
Finish: 3rd / 16 --> Advance to 3rd Round (rain was heaviest at this point)
Round 3: Top 5 from 10 Cars Advance to "Club Shootout" (i.e. the NIT to the NCAA tournament / Super Shootout)
Finish: 7th / 10 --> Did not Advance but got to go home and get out of the cold rain.

So basically I maximized the amount of runs I could get without having to stay around a few more hours to run in the Club Shootout (aka NIT bracket) which made me pretty happy. I didn't expect to do this well in the rain running with worn Rivals on a high HP FWD car but everything handled really well...I ended up dropping the front pressures down to 32 psi to get a larger contact patch and I never had much of an issue with hydroplaning. The rear pressures stayed at 45 psi and the car didn't over-rotate as long as I didn't try to over drive it on corner entry.

Last edited by Mr_Bill; 05-24-2014 at 09:40 PM.
 Old 06-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #127

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Made the trip to Asheville, NC last Wednesday night to join one of the Highlands Sports Car Club's Night series AutoX events. The events are ran on a fairly tight and up-and-down lot but they have a pretty relaxed atmosphere and it's a nice break during the work week. I had just ordered a GoPro camera (long overdue) but it didn't show up until the day of the event and I didn't have time to get batteries charged or figure out how to work it...it will be up and running for the rest of my races so I can finally start posting some videos.

No changes were made to the car with the lot consisting of a low grip worn asphalt. Overall the car balance was pretty good...there were some pretty tight corners that were a PITA to work through but the balance was really good in the higher speed sections. Pressures ended up at 36F/45R. They have a lot of karts at these events and I ended up losing out to one on PAX time. Hope to make a few more of these events this summer when I'm in town.

Highlands Sports Car Club Night AutoX #3
PAX: 2 / 90
PRO: 1 / 3
STX: 1 / 7

The next big event for the car will be the Wilmington National Tour on August 2-3 with a local regional AutoX at the Michelin Proving Grounds coming up in a couple of weeks. At this event I'm going to try going softer on the front springs (from 800 to 700lb) for a 700F/900R spring set-up in an attempt to get some more low speed rotation.

Moving forward I have my eyes on a OSGiken LSD for the fall/winter project, and for the short term I would like to try out the Tri-Point RSB (Race) with their end-links to see how it compares to the Hotchkis...only problem is their website is currently down and I'm not sure if they are in business anymore and I can't find this bar for sale anywhere else. I'll try calling tomorrow. I'm also looking to get a new set of 245/40R18 Rivals before the national tour event (current set has about 12 events, they still have some tread but I'm worried about heat cycling) along with acquiring a 2nd set of the TRMotorsport C2 wheels to get some 245/40R18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport's mounted for my rain set-up.
 Old 06-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #128

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Called Tri-Point this afternoon and got the automated "voicebox is full" message with no ring tone...so looks like they are not an option for the time being and I'll be sticking with the Hotchkis RSB.
 Old 06-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #129

daafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,866 Times in 1,439 Posts
Groans: 57
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mr_Bill View Post
Called Tri-Point this afternoon and got the automated "voicebox is full" message with no ring tone...so looks like they are not an option for the time being and I'll be sticking with the Hotchkis RSB.
JBR is making a bar similar to Tri-Points race bar now. I was tempted to try it but I instead spent my money on GC coilover sleeves.
daafisch is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #130

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by daafisch View Post
JBR is making a bar similar to Tri-Points race bar now. I was tempted to try it but I instead spent my money on GC coilover sleeves.
Thanks for the heads up...I actually just read about their new competition RSB right after calling Tri-Point and have the JBR sway bar ordered & on the way along with some new stock end-links. RSB should show up in time to try next Sunday (June 22) and I'll post up my thoughts.
daafisch (06-11-2014)
 Old 06-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #131

Crarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,458 Times in 908 Posts
Groans: 98
Groaned at 45 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not sure what size your current bar is, but I just ordered the 32mm Progress bar this morning. Goodwin Racing has them on clearance for under $180. I expect it to be an upgrade from the ~28mm CS V1 bar I have now.

2004 MSM TiGrey
AEM SRI - Turbosmart MBC - FM TBI - eBay DP - Turbosmart BPV - Mishimoto FMIC - Denso 305cc
Koni Sport - GC Coilover - Racing Beat 1.25" Front Sway Bar - SS Lines - 15x8 Flatout - 225/45 RS3
Crarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #132

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Crarrs View Post
Not sure what size your current bar is, but I just ordered the 32mm Progress bar this morning. Goodwin Racing has them on clearance for under $180. I expect it to be an upgrade from the ~28mm CS V1 bar I have now.
I started out with the COBB bar when I began auto-crossing in 2009 and swapped over to the Hotchkis RSB about 2 years ago. The Hotchkis bar was noticeably stiffer and provided more rear rotation. I figured it was worth trying another bar as sway bars are a fairly cheap way to try tuning the balance & the Tri-Point & JBR pieces have a different design (hallow bar welded to end plates vs bent tubing). I can also go stiffer with rear springs if needed.
 Old 06-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #133

beachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,627 Times in 850 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Always wanted to try the bent tubing version ever since I snapped my first CS V1. They of coure had me a new one overnighted but I've never really fully trusted the design. Kept it on the middle setting for every race. I'd like to see how that Progress bar does. Didn't even know they made one for our cars

Always like reading your updates @Mr_Bill; I'm hoping to start tracking our speed more once we get the motor refreshed. The miatas are fun but it's nice to get into something different every once in a while.
H&R Springs CS RSB CXRacing FMIC AT Internals DIY PnP IM w/ VTCS delete. CS OCC Stratified 3port EBCS HTP Batt Tray Bosch 3bar MAP SS brake lines
Works emotions cr-kai 18x7.5 ventus v12s for the street
TRM C3s 17x9 Hankook RS3s for track days

STRATIFIED TUNED

Other Mazdas in my stable
2010 VR MS3 Wifes Ride
ETS TMIC JBR RSB JBR SSP JBR knob AT internals
1999 Miata
gtx2867 1.9L VVT built like a brick shithouse
2001 Miata LS
RB FSB Hawk HP+ pads Dunlop ZII
beachshoer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #134

Crarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the worldCrarrs is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,458 Times in 908 Posts
Groans: 98
Groaned at 45 Times in 32 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by beachshoer View Post
Always wanted to try the bent tubing version ever since I snapped my first CS V1. They of coure had me a new one overnighted but I've never really fully trusted the design. Kept it on the middle setting for every race. I'd like to see how that Progress bar does. Didn't even know they made one for our cars

Always like reading your updates @Mr_Bill; I'm hoping to start tracking our speed more once we get the motor refreshed. The miatas are fun but it's nice to get into something different every once in a while.
LOL, I snapped my first CS bar too. I figure I can sell the one I've got now for most of the cost of the new one, so it's basically an exchange rather than an upgrade. Phoenix region isn't doing any events until September, so I won't have any meaningful feedback for a while.

PROGRESS Rear anti-roll bar for Mazda3 2007-2010, MazdaSpeed3

2004 MSM TiGrey
AEM SRI - Turbosmart MBC - FM TBI - eBay DP - Turbosmart BPV - Mishimoto FMIC - Denso 305cc
Koni Sport - GC Coilover - Racing Beat 1.25" Front Sway Bar - SS Lines - 15x8 Flatout - 225/45 RS3
Crarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #135

daafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the worlddaafisch is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,866 Times in 1,439 Posts
Groans: 57
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by beachshoer View Post

I've had the Progress bar since it was released (last 2009). No real issues or complaints. The paint is chipped in areas. The paint is very worn down where the bushings sit but I don't think that it's a problem. It's been set to stiff since I got it.
daafisch is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #136

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Last week the new James Barone Competition RSB arrived and was installed on Saturday before taking part in the Central Carolinas/South Carolina AutoX at the Michelin Proving Grounds on Sunday. The bar has a nice quality of build and I was wanting to try the different design vs. the Hotchkis in an attempt to get a stiffer bar and more rotation. I also ordered some new stock end-links to add onto the install. Compared to the Hotchkis the bar does feel heavier and came with some pretty beefy mounting brackets...

photo 1 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

photo 2 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

With the new RSB installed I was ready for the next event on Sunday. The rest of the car remained unchanged with the spring rates staying at 800F / 900R and starting cold pressures of 38F / 48R.

SCCA Central Carolinas AutoX #4 - Michelin Proving Grounds

photo 3 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

Compared to the Hotchkis the new RSB did feel stiffer and resulted in better rotation and quicker steering reaction (the car felt more "pointy" when driving around on the street). My results were some of the best I've had against this level of competition and I was the fastest STX car (beating the RX-8 that won the Atlanta Match Tour by a tenth). The high speed balance of the car was really good with only some low speed U/S holding the car up on the tighter corners...I think a lot of this could be fixed with an improved LSD so I could get on the throttle earlier in these tight corners with the car continuing to corner instead of pushing out on exit. This will be the big project for this fall/winter.

There were some timing issues at the event and I was the beneficiary of a couple re-runs. This allowed me to land my last run that was ~two-tenths faster than my best time if limited to the standard four runs without the re-runs due to timing errors. I also had a first in my years of autocrossing...the four-point harness got caught up in my seat recline handle on my 2nd run, so as soon as I hit the gas to leave the starting line the seat reclined all the way back and I was just left holding myself up with the steering wheel. That was fun.

The weather was pretty hot on Sunday (low 90's) so I sprayed the front tires & intercooler between each run and continued to bleed the front pressures down to 37-38 psi while allowing the rear pressures to climb. These are the same Rivals I have been using since starting STX more than a year ago and they have held up pretty well after ~15 events.

I also just bought a GoPro camera so I can start recording some runs. This was my first attempt at using it and my best run from the day is below...I'm pretty impressed with the quality of video and how easy/user friendly the camera is for set-up + the wireless capabilities. Wish I had gotten this camera sooner.

Results
PAX: 9 / 156
STX: 1 / 13
PRO: 9 / 27

2008MS3H likes this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Bill For This Useful Post:
2008MS3H (02-25-2017), Crarrs (06-26-2014), daafisch (06-26-2014), justint5387 (06-27-2014)
 Old 05-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #137

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Latest and greatest update...the decision has been made to move on to the next AutoX build and I recently purchased a 2004 Mazda RX8 to run in STX.

I was able to run the occasional event last fall and this spring in the MS3 before heading to the Dixie National Tour in March where the car placed 14th/20 in STX (144/290 out of everyone in PAX at the event). Bottom line is the car just wasn't competitive enough to hang with the FRS/BRZ, and even if I had the newer Bridgestone/Rival S tires (vs the older standard Rivals I was running) the car wasn't going to be close, so after this event I started looking around for the next build. While everyone has been jumping on the FRS/BRZ, used RX8's can be found relatively cheap and I was able to get one already prepped for STX out of Savannah GA. Even if I blew the engine today, the total cost of the RX8 would still be half the price of a stock used BRZ/FRS, so I figured it was worth a shot...plus I have never been a fan of the look for driving feel of the twins. With this project I'll at least get to stay with the Mazda brand and be more competitive nationally in STX.

MS3 Pics from this Spring
58837213-heat2scca233 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

58837214-heat2scca137 by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

Video from First AutoX with the RX8...still have some tuning to do along with getting used to the different car.

11206007_10101995978794418_6421356669570490063_n by Sir Turd Ferguson, on Flickr

I'm currently trying to sell the Speed3 on the local SCCA forums before moving onto the world of Craigstlist/etc...the car has been a blast to drive but it was just time to find something more competitive. Worst case if the car doesn't get sold I can keep it as a daily driver / occasional track car since it's still enjoyable for driving around the street. Onto the next event...
2008MS3H likes this.

Last edited by Mr_Bill; 05-15-2015 at 01:06 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Bill For This Useful Post:
2008MS3H (02-25-2017), beachshoer (05-15-2015), Crarrs (05-15-2015), Nliiitend1 (05-15-2015), phate (05-14-2015)
 Old 05-15-2015, 06:46 AM   #138

beachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the worldbeachshoer is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,627 Times in 850 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Good luck with the rotary. My first autox car was a rx8. Loved it. Doubt I'll ever get back into one though. The wife being a Mazda service advisor refuses to let one be parked in our driveway. Usually has 2 rx8s come in for 1 of any other Mazda. People just don't understand that car is not meant to be babyed around town.

We're also out of the ms3 autox game. Swapped to miatas. The ms3 is just not competitive even after dumping a boat load into it. I keep it as my DD. 185k miles and still truckin.

Good luck selling the speed. If you end up parting some stuff out let me know. We still have a regional member who's still running his in SMF. Hopefully I'll see you at Dixie next time.
H&R Springs CS RSB CXRacing FMIC AT Internals DIY PnP IM w/ VTCS delete. CS OCC Stratified 3port EBCS HTP Batt Tray Bosch 3bar MAP SS brake lines
Works emotions cr-kai 18x7.5 ventus v12s for the street
TRM C3s 17x9 Hankook RS3s for track days

STRATIFIED TUNED

Other Mazdas in my stable
2010 VR MS3 Wifes Ride
ETS TMIC JBR RSB JBR SSP JBR knob AT internals
1999 Miata
gtx2867 1.9L VVT built like a brick shithouse
2001 Miata LS
RB FSB Hawk HP+ pads Dunlop ZII
beachshoer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beachshoer For This Useful Post:
Nliiitend1 (05-15-2015)
 Old 05-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #139

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks...the RX8 I bought has been raced since its initial purchase and the car is in pretty good shape with 66k miles. This car won STX at Dixie in 2013 and placed 5th/25 there in 2014...I definitely miss the power of the MS3 when driving around the street but the handling capability of the RX8 is pretty ridiculous compared to what I've become used to with the Speed3. At my first AutoX with the RX8 in Charlotte the car finished 15th/160 PAX where the Speed3 would usually place around 25th, so the potential is there.
Current RX8 mods include KWv3 coilovers, Hotchkis sway bars, Racing Beat intake and exhaust mods. Plan is to just learn driving the car for the rest of this year before making any changes for 2016 when I'll get to run more events due to less traveling with the day job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Bill For This Useful Post:
2008MS3H (02-25-2017), Crarrs (05-15-2015)
 Old 02-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #140

2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world2008MS3H is the leader of the world
Groans: 41
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I know it's been a while but any updates? Are you still running both cars?

MAISONVI PISTON SHIFT KNOB - AUTOTECH INTERNALS
SURE COUNTERSHIFT - SURE SHORTCUT - SURE ANCHORS

JBR TRILOGY - JBR RSB - JBR TUBING - JBR TIP - JBR SRI - JBR EGR DELETE

HYPNOTIC TUNED
2008MS3H is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f415/mr_bill-s-dsp-autox-build-2008-mazdaspeed-81086/
Posted By For Type Date
FS: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 (STX prepared) - Highlands Sports Car Club This thread Refback 12-03-2015 05:43 PM
FS: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 (STX prepared) | Central Carolinas Region SCCA This thread Refback 05-12-2015 10:22 PM
Highlands Sports Car Club ? View topic - FS: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 (STX prepared) This thread Refback 05-11-2015 06:43 AM
FS: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 (STX prepared) This thread Refback 05-10-2015 08:33 PM
Highlands Sports Car Club ? View topic - Post Night Series #2 This thread Refback 05-02-2013 09:58 PM
Autcross #3: December 1st!! This thread Refback 12-03-2012 06:14 PM
Highlands Sports Car Club • View topic - ALMS at VIR This thread Refback 09-18-2012 08:51 PM
Highlands Sports Car Club • View topic - Day Series #4 Results Are Posted This thread Refback 06-26-2012 02:01 PM
Corrin- 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 This thread Refback 05-22-2012 11:58 AM
Highlands Sports Car Club • View topic - feb 18th zmax autox This thread Refback 02-20-2012 08:29 AM
Highlands Sports Car Club • View topic - Hoosier A6 Ambient Air Temperature This thread Refback 02-16-2012 09:15 AM
Highlands Sports Car Club • View topic - Thank You to Highland Sports Car Club This thread Refback 11-07-2011 12:16 PM
Highlands Sports Car Club • View topic - Day Series #3 - Post event thread This thread Refback 07-11-2011 09:00 PM
CentralGaRacing.com - View topic - Corrin- 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 This thread Refback 06-21-2011 06:10 AM