register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Turbo Induction

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #1

ChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the world
Groans: 39
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Turbosmart Dual Port Flutter/Surge/Flutterdump?

Hey gays.... I mean guys...

I just got a turbosmart dual port and was wondering if the sounds I am hearing are normal.

All the videos Ive seen of the dual port don't emit the fluttery sound I get when letting off the throttle in low rpms/low boost situations.

Heres a video I just uploaded of the sounds... I tried to lift off the throttle at lower rpms and gradually go to higher rpms towards the end of the video... You notice the flutter then dump at lower boost/rpms and then a clean dump at high rpms/full boost.

Also I cleaned the bpv/bov and lubed up the internals. After lubing up the piston and walls I double checked the install and it changed nothing... Note that even going from the hardest setting to the softest by quater turn increments did nothing but waste time and lube.

thanks dudes for any input

just noticed I made a duplicate thread in the gen 1 section sry
// JBR Dog Bone RMM // JBR Heavy Knob // JBR Solid Shifter Bushings // JBR Short Shifter Plate // JBR RSB // JBR 80D PMM // 15mm Front // 10mm Rear // SPC Rear Camber Arms // Sonic Tuning Coilovers //
// 6K HID // 35% tint // 12"RF with Infinity Amp // MZ Front Lip // 17x8 Enkei RPF1's //

Last edited by ChimmyChong; 01-10-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
ChimmyChong is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #2

ebnash has a reputation beyond reputeebnash has a reputation beyond reputeebnash has a reputation beyond reputeebnash has a reputation beyond reputeebnash has a reputation beyond reputeebnash has a reputation beyond reputeebnash has a reputation beyond reputeebnash has a reputation beyond reputeebnash has a reputation beyond reputeebnash has a reputation beyond reputeebnash has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

Just curious why you guys keep installing dual port BOV's on an engine system that is designed to recirculate. I assume you are running a stock turbo, so why did you pick the Dual Port?

If you want something more robust than the stock BPV, than buy an aftermarket BPV. It will hold more pressure and is less likely to fail.

If you are running a dual port just to make more noise, well than you have problems that I am not qualified to address...
G26 (07-10-2012), genpoo (01-16-2011), Pointless (07-22-2012)
 Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
FY"IED"N

dMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the world
Groans: 11
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

that sounds normal. without the TIP...you want to start two full rotations softer than its hardest setting. and go from there (assuming you are running 50/50). if its too soft you will have a ton of backfire, and you car will run like shit. if its too hard you may get some type of cut at WOT.
CS SRI/TIP, UR Turbo Back, UR FMIC, TS Dual Port BOV, DENSO ITV22 Plugs, AP EcuTek ProTune, DO STG 2 Prog Kit 100% Meth, JBR SSP w/ Bushings, CS Springs, JBR camber arms, Koni yellows, 80D PMM/88D RMM/88D TMM, MD OCC, CP-E HPFP, Ford Motorcraft tranny fluid, DashDaq, Kenwood 12"sub, Kicker 400w amp, DDM 35W 6k lows/3k fogs, CS LED kit, 20% tint.
dMuze is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #4

ChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the worldChimmyChong is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ebnash View Post
Just curious why you guys keep installing dual port BOV's on an engine system that is designed to recirculate. I assume you are running a stock turbo, so why did you pick the Dual Port?

If you want something more robust than the stock BPV, than buy an aftermarket BPV. It will hold more pressure and is less likely to fail.

If you are running a dual port just to make more noise, well than you have problems that I am not qualified to address...
Cause Im a ricer
I was planning to run 50/50 for novelty and 100% bpv most of the time...

Originally Posted by dMuze View Post
that sounds normal. without the TIP...you want to start two full rotations softer than its hardest setting. and go from there (assuming you are running 50/50). if its too soft you will have a ton of backfire, and you car will run like shit. if its too hard you may get some type of cut at WOT.
idk... I don't think a flutter sound is normal
at least to my knowledge its air getting pushed backwards to the turbo and the turbine chopping up that air...
unless its the valve opening and closing in a very fast movement that is causing a mimiced turbo flutter sound...

Here is aerthurfury's video of his dual port .... no flutter whatsoever

Aerthurfury, if your reading this can you chime in with some input?

edit:
also it makes the same flutter sound in 100% bpv mode
I am running the yellow spring it came with
I think its flutter dump
thakns
// JBR Dog Bone RMM // JBR Heavy Knob // JBR Solid Shifter Bushings // JBR Short Shifter Plate // JBR RSB // JBR 80D PMM // 15mm Front // 10mm Rear // SPC Rear Camber Arms // Sonic Tuning Coilovers //
// 6K HID // 35% tint // 12"RF with Infinity Amp // MZ Front Lip // 17x8 Enkei RPF1's //

Last edited by ChimmyChong; 01-10-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: didnt add video fail
 Old 01-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
FY"IED"N

dMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the worlddMuze is the leader of the world
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

how soft is your setting? have you tried starting all the way at the red (or black in my case) line?
CS SRI/TIP, UR Turbo Back, UR FMIC, TS Dual Port BOV, DENSO ITV22 Plugs, AP EcuTek ProTune, DO STG 2 Prog Kit 100% Meth, JBR SSP w/ Bushings, CS Springs, JBR camber arms, Koni yellows, 80D PMM/88D RMM/88D TMM, MD OCC, CP-E HPFP, Ford Motorcraft tranny fluid, DashDaq, Kenwood 12"sub, Kicker 400w amp, DDM 35W 6k lows/3k fogs, CS LED kit, 20% tint.
dMuze is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes I've tried every setting from the hardest. Then from there quarter turns until at the red warning line. I'm even getting afterfire in-between shifts at any setting (probably because of the flutter/late dump?)

I've searched far and wide on these forms and google but no one seems to be experiencing my symptoms -_-
 Old 01-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #7

SharkBite is a jewel in the roughSharkBite is a jewel in the roughSharkBite is a jewel in the rough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Neutral  -1 score     

sounds fine to me.
SharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #8

blkspeed307 is the leader of the worldblkspeed307 is the leader of the worldblkspeed307 is the leader of the worldblkspeed307 is the leader of the worldblkspeed307 is the leader of the worldblkspeed307 is the leader of the worldblkspeed307 is the leader of the worldblkspeed307 is the leader of the worldblkspeed307 is the leader of the worldblkspeed307 is the leader of the worldblkspeed307 is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Have had it on my car for 3months now 50/50 vta no backfires or problems whatsoever . But your sounds fine to me from the vid, try adjusting it some more & let it break in a bit more.

sent from my HTC evo using
tapatalk
blkspeed307 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blkspeed307 For This Useful Post:
csmaan12 (07-25-2014)
 Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #9

xsilent13x is the leader of the worldxsilent13x is the leader of the worldxsilent13x is the leader of the worldxsilent13x is the leader of the worldxsilent13x is the leader of the worldxsilent13x is the leader of the worldxsilent13x is the leader of the worldxsilent13x is the leader of the worldxsilent13x is the leader of the worldxsilent13x is the leader of the worldxsilent13x is the leader of the world
Groans: 13
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've had mine on 50/50 for about 2k miles and from time to time I get backfires.....loud ones and I've always had that fluttering sound when boosting a bit in low gears. I looked everywhere and people say that this BOV needs to be adjusted per car or needs to be lubed. It took me awhile to find the best place to adjust it at.....and I still have fluttering.

Edit: What I mean by "best place" I mean the point in which it backfired and fluttered the least. I gave up and put it on full-recirc so all I have a a bit of fluttering during low gear shifts.

Ultimate Racing TP w/ Res delete, Corksport SRI+TIP, Turbosmart DP BOV, Autotech Fuel Pump Internals, Denso ITV22's, AP Tuned StagePu, custom painted headlights & decals.

From Southern New England? Check out our local club! www.nescc.net
xsilent13x is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #10

2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hmm I never had an enormous amount of fluttering whenever I had my Turbosmart BOV. I don't know what spring was being used because I bought it used. The ride was harsher with the BOV, and it popped here and there. I ended up putting the stocker back on because I was putting an exhaust and I didn't want the car being any louder and poppy.

2010 Black Mica MazdaSpeed3

Performance: BNR S3 - Sure Full 3" Aeros - Bosch 3 Bar Map - DDM HID Kit 6k 35w - Hella Super Tones - CorkSport LED Light Kit - Cobb Knob (Red) - VG Sharkfin Antenna - Sure Anchors - Jbarone 88duro Dog Bone RMM - Black CorkSport SRI/TIP (Powder Coated Black) - Ultimate Racing Race Pipe & CBE - KMD Internals - CorkSport Cold Air Box w/ Carbon Fiber Top - Turbosmart SU Blacked Out BPV - Cobb AccessPort Stage 2 (Nataphen Tuned) - JBarone RSB - CP-E TMIC
2010Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #11

pearl_ms3 is the leader of the worldpearl_ms3 is the leader of the worldpearl_ms3 is the leader of the worldpearl_ms3 is the leader of the worldpearl_ms3 is the leader of the worldpearl_ms3 is the leader of the worldpearl_ms3 is the leader of the worldpearl_ms3 is the leader of the worldpearl_ms3 is the leader of the worldpearl_ms3 is the leader of the worldpearl_ms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 32
Groaned at 27 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

have you lubed it? i lube mine every 3 weeks. keeps the flutter away. mine only flutters under 4 psi.
CP-E INTAKE W/ AMSOIL FILTER, CP-E INLET, TURBOSMART BOV, DENSO ITV22, AWR RMM, STREET-UNIT TMM & PMM, STEEDSPEED MANI CERAMIC COATED, T3 GT3076, TIAL EWG, CUSTOM V-BAND DOWNPIPE, UR CATTED TESTPIPE, TURBO XS CATBACK EXHAUST, COBB FMIC, CP-E FUEL PUMP, DASHHAWK+CP-E MOUNT, JBARONE SSP, COBB ACCESSPORT STAGE 2 SF 91 FMIC. SELF TUNED WITH 400HP/375TQ @ 21 PSI ON 100 OCTANE.
pearl_ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #12

borninmotion will become famous soon enoughborninmotion will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just put mine on today. Only get the flutter if I load up the turbo at low rpms (which you arnt supposed to do) but only doing it to test it. Under regular driving and boosting above 3k it seems to sound competely normal. I just popped that thing on and didnt do any adjusting thus far.
borninmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-01-2011, 03:23 AM   #13

Matx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the worldMatx is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ya mine fluttered alot when I first got it, gotta play with it alot and let it break in little more, Its hard to get this to the right spot will take you awhile
14 Wrangler

Originally Posted by backward_0 View Post
.... I will be more than happy to fuck your world off....
Matx is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-01-2011, 03:50 AM   #14

Spoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,160 Times in 516 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Damn ricers. Get a forge V2 and be happy.
Spoofmastafly is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
2zz mr-s

dooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,647 Times in 1,903 Posts
Groans: 239
Groaned at 352 Times in 214 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

lol genpu's
[07:25 PM] Pu Manchu: the second rule is "don't tell anyone"
[07:25 PM] Pu Manchu: the first rule of tranny fucking is "don't do it"
dooderek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says NO Thank You to dooderek For This Un-useful Post:
DONOTBUGME (09-03-2011)
 Old 09-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #16

86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,807 Posts
Groans: 338
Groaned at 93 Times in 48 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

blast from the past! Flutter at low load is fine anyways it's high load that you should worry about, you're reaching the surge point, mine does it under vacuum when there is still enough delta pressure between the manifold and cold pipe. It happens when you get a stiffer spring in there.
Tial QR BPV, SURE TIG's, ITV24's,
CP-E Stage 2 RMM, Medefail Tranny mount, 18x8 245/40's
390whp/400wtq
12.8@114

Sold

Current: N54 135i FBO
86AmishMs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86AmishMs3 For This Useful Post:
Hooper (11-25-2012)
 Old 09-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #17

mtran has a reputation beyond reputemtran has a reputation beyond reputemtran has a reputation beyond reputemtran has a reputation beyond reputemtran has a reputation beyond reputemtran has a reputation beyond reputemtran has a reputation beyond reputemtran has a reputation beyond reputemtran has a reputation beyond reputemtran has a reputation beyond reputemtran has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Spoofmastafly View Post
Damn ricers. Get a forge V2 and be happy.
Amen, V2 has the same sounds without the VTA issues.
 Old 09-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #18

borninmotion will become famous soon enoughborninmotion will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Resetting the ECU will make a big difference as well.. Just saying.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
borninmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #19

Spoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the worldSpoofmastafly is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,160 Times in 516 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My buddies Gen1 did the same thing with his HKS bov (running recirculate) .. that sound just makes me think and feel like the car isn't running right.. thats why I went with the Forge V2, still get a VTA sound when your up in the RPM's... but no low rpm flutters or issues.
Spoofmastafly is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #20

goob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the worldgoob_os101 is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Back from the dead....My Speed3 hesitates from time to time and pops. When I go WOT In 2nd gear (mid rpm) the car will begin to hesitate and pop then accelerate. When I shift into 3rd and go WOT it does the same thing. I am experimenting with softer settings to see if it goes away. It has been 99-105 degrees out with high humidty which makes the car
 Old 07-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #21
Banned

Illusion has a brilliant futureIllusion has a brilliant futureIllusion has a brilliant futureIllusion has a brilliant futureIllusion has a brilliant futureIllusion has a brilliant futureIllusion has a brilliant futureIllusion has a brilliant futureIllusion has a brilliant futureIllusion has a brilliant futureIllusion has a brilliant future
Groans: 2
Groaned at 34 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

this is not an issue my turbosmart bov flutters at low boost. All that is happening is the boost pressure is not enough to cause the piston to open quickly the the remaining pressure is being fluttered out slowly, it's really a smart design (turbo-smart). Have to get atleast 5 pounds of boost before i get a signifigant phhhhh sound. Again some ppl are into ricer i got mine so i can hold higher amounts of boost.
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Illusion For This Useful Post:
kairojya (07-17-2012)
 Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #22

Voltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,547 Times in 2,155 Posts
Groaned at 38 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
this is not an issue my turbosmart bov flutters at low boost. All that is happening is the boost pressure is not enough to cause the piston to open quickly the the remaining pressure is being fluttered out slowly, it's really a smart design (turbo-smart). Have to get atleast 5 pounds of boost before i get a signifigant phhhhh sound. Again some ppl are into ricer i got mine so i can hold higher amounts of boost.
^^ this, you only have to worry if you boost a significant amount and it flutters, 2-3 psi wont hurt anything, there is a spring in there to assist the piston and you're just not building enough pressure to cleanly over power the spring. Mine did that for like 30k miles on stock turbo and inspected the thing when i went BT a few weeks back and you'd think it was a new turbo, no issues.
-Mustang 5.0 450 whp / 352 wtq
-Sold-

Current:
2012 Loaded Speed3 - Stock
2001 Miata - Basically stock

... Something, somewhere, went horribly wrong.

Fastest gtx3576 powered, 6th port injected, 25% e85 fueled, stock suspension, silver mazdaspeed 3 in South Houston. Because its my internet record, and I said so.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Voltwings For This Useful Post:
kairojya (07-17-2012)
 Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #23

crizer1706 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hi there
I just got my turbosmart bov in the mail yesterday. It came tightened to its hardest setting. I took a few drives and I adjusted it so it was in the middle of hard and soft and I still got some surge and a little bit of backfire so I loosened it in quarter turn increments and the surge at lower boosts went away but I still got some backfire once every few shifts. The only time I surge is either at low boost with low RPMs and also at high boost and low RPMs(which I was just testing) Is this normal? I have it adjusted about 4 and a quarter full turns from the hardest setting.
crizer1706 is offline   Reply With Quote