register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Suspension & Brakes

Notices

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #1

Nataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,753 Times in 1,238 Posts
Groans: 31
Groaned at 31 Times in 21 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Autoexe chassis bracing ?s

2010 Mazdaspeed 3 :: Other Suspension - CorkSport Mazda Performance - 360-260-CORK

I wanted to know if anyone had used any of these chassis bracing products in the link above, and whether or not they were good. I do plan to autoX and open track, and I love backroads, so I do use and will continue to use the suspension mods like they should be used. I'm holding out on some suspension parts because I want to see if some more 2010 specific parts come out in the next year or so. I would like a set of springs that only drops 1" specifically for the 2010 suspension. Any help, info, or stories from experience would be greatly appreciated.

06 BM MS6=stock (totaled)
06 WWP MS6=suspension only (sold)
93 RX-7=single turbo swap, 300whp@8psi, 2600lbs (sold)
Wife's 10 MS3=bolt-ons & tune, 13.6 best ET (sold)
13 5.0
Wife's 13 Focus ST
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #2

Slow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 30
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

IMO chassis braces are unnecessary and just add weight. The 2nd gen chassis is stiff enough, spend your money on sway bars and a good set of coilovers (KW v3 if you have the $$).

And some big fat sticky tires of course
The Following User Says Thank You to Slow*Jim For This Useful Post:
Aetherfury (05-27-2010)
 Old 05-27-2010, 04:43 AM   #3

Nataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm waiting on a F/R sway bar set because I'm not even sure if the FSB fits 2010s. I wish that Cobb would make their stage 2 sway bar and spring set for the gen 2. The Cobb springs are exactly the drop that I'm looking for.

I'm pretty sure that I don't want to spend $1800 on a set of coilovers, springs will be fine.

Last edited by Nataphen; 05-27-2010 at 05:00 AM.
 Old 05-27-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
ILL3ST

xcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,286 Times in 588 Posts
Groans: 105
Groaned at 30 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i'd save your money. especially since autoexe suspension parts are made for JDM vehicles and are not guaranteed to fit on USDM models - there were reports of the 07-09 braces not fitting at all on the USDM models.

that said - that strut tower brace would be nice engine bling. are the 2010 strut towers different??
xcoldricex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-27-2010, 05:36 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, that's all that I need to know then. If they may not fit, I'll just forget about it. I could see some of the suspension having a different setup for the JDM models, but I wouldn't think that there would be any difference in the location of the strut towers. I would say that the STB and the rear floor brace would probably fit the US model exactly like the JDM.
 Old 05-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
ILL3ST

xcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,286 Times in 588 Posts
Groans: 105
Groaned at 30 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

the old strut tower braces didn't fit, but they were of a different design.

the rear floor brace fits, but with the underbody ones only one fit i think.

Last edited by xcoldricex; 05-27-2010 at 07:00 AM.
xcoldricex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #7

ruthless013 is the leader of the worldruthless013 is the leader of the worldruthless013 is the leader of the worldruthless013 is the leader of the worldruthless013 is the leader of the worldruthless013 is the leader of the worldruthless013 is the leader of the worldruthless013 is the leader of the worldruthless013 is the leader of the worldruthless013 is the leader of the worldruthless013 is the leader of the world
Groans: 52
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

strut tower brace is not necessary because you already have one! look real close, it's black.

for auto x, any one of those braces will bounce you into a class you would mostly likely get demolished in - if that matters to you.

rear sway will most likely fit, front is unknown. but there are (or will be soon) cheaper alternatives from the more well-known sources.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ruthless013 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-27-2010, 06:56 AM   #8

RacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The stock bracing seems to be doing well for the Gen2. I got the Hotchkis RSB, and it fits just fine.
 Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #9

Speed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,650 Times in 795 Posts
Groans: 82
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

^ How do you like it? Noticeable difference when just running around town?
Speed3eak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #10

RacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the worldRacerX78 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

In daily driving you don't notice it that much even with it on its stiffest settings. But with the stock suspension its to be expected. On the autoX course though it really helps kill understeer. I am able to do lift-off oversteer on demand, which is really nice.
 Old 05-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ruthless013 View Post
strut tower brace is not necessary because you already have one! look real close, it's black.

for auto x, any one of those braces will bounce you into a class you would mostly likely get demolished in - if that matters to you.

rear sway will most likely fit, front is unknown. but there are (or will be soon) cheaper alternatives from the more well-known sources.
I have seen the stock STB tucked up under the wiper cowl. I thought that was a pretty good idea to keep the engine bay decluttered. I guess that the factory has a good idea every once in a while. lol

06 BM MS6=stock (totaled)
06 WWP MS6=suspension only (sold)
93 RX-7=single turbo swap, 300whp@8psi, 2600lbs (sold)
Wife's 10 MS3=bolt-ons & tune, 13.6 best ET (sold)
13 5.0
Wife's 13 Focus ST
 Old 06-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #12

Speed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,650 Times in 795 Posts
Groans: 82
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by RacerX78 View Post
In daily driving you don't notice it that much even with it on its stiffest settings. But with the stock suspension its to be expected. On the autoX course though it really helps kill understeer. I am able to do lift-off oversteer on demand, which is really nice.
Which setting? I'm looking at a progress rsb right now, and the hotchkis 'soft' setting is stiffer than the progress 'firm' setting. I'd rather save my money and get the hotchkis if the progress won't let me get any oversteer whatsoever.
Speed3eak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm running the stiffest setting on the hotchkis bar now. Cornering is very neutral, less front end push. Its only when i'm autoX'ing, and i'm taking hard corners that i get controllable lift-off oversteer. The stock suspension isn't stiff enough to get the back end around. My CivicSi with Tein Coilovers and F/RSB i could easily get the back end to come around but it was much stiffer.