register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Suspension & Brakes

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Carskick

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #1

yasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default KW V3 Coilovers Delivered

Ordered some KW V3 coilovers that arrived today. They are replacing the Corksport coilovers I installed back in early 2015.

I'm not doing the install this time. R/T Tuning in PA is going to do the install and alignment. They did the alignment for my Corksport setup and did a great job.

The Corksports (no longer available, apparently) were pretty decent. I've been running with them one click from the stiffest setting at all four corners. Ride-height-wise, I didn't slam them, just played with ride-height until I found the sweet-spot for acceptable rebound/damping (which was maybe 1.5" lower than stock, more or less).

I have an install thread from back then, which kind of highlights my near-total lack of mechanical inclination. But they held up through a pounding on NJ's crappy roads, through very salty NJ winters, and through a lot of very high speed driving. So no complaints.

Anyway, the KW's are being installed in mid-May, unless something opens up sooner. I'll update the thread then. At that point, I figure I'll have a bit of work to do to dial them in - settings-wise.

If anybody has any thoughts/advice about these coilovers, I'd love to hear it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeliveryPhoto.jpg (2.10 MB, 11 views)

Cobb AP | cp-e Stage 2 RMM | CorkSport Coilovers | CorkSport Camber Plates

Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35-18 on Enkei PF01 18x8.5+48 (summer)
Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II N1 235/40-18 on Enkei Tuning TS9 18x8.5+45(winter)
yasun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yasun For This Useful Post:
802MS3 (04-11-2019)
 Old 03-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #2

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 211
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by yasun View Post
Ordered some KW V3 coilovers that arrived today. They are replacing the Corksport coilovers I installed back in early 2015.

I'm not doing the install this time. R/T Tuning in PA is going to do the install and alignment. They did the alignment for my Corksport setup and did a great job.

The Corksports (no longer available, apparently) were pretty decent. I've been running with them one click from the stiffest setting at all four corners. Ride-height-wise, I didn't slam them, just played with ride-height until I found the sweet-spot for acceptable rebound/damping (which was maybe 1.5" lower than stock, more or less).

I have an install thread from back then, which kind of highlights my near-total lack of mechanical inclination. But they held up through a pounding on NJ's crappy roads, through very salty NJ winters, and through a lot of very high speed driving. So no complaints.

Anyway, the KW's are being installed in mid-May, unless something opens up sooner. I'll update the thread then. At that point, I figure I'll have a bit of work to do to dial them in - settings-wise.

If anybody has any thoughts/advice about these coilovers, I'd love to hear it.
No experience with them but they are their top of the line offering. Let us know how they compare once installed.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #3

Loophole35 is just really niceLoophole35 is just really niceLoophole35 is just really niceLoophole35 is just really nice
Groans: 2
Not Ranked  0 score     

Very interested in your experience with them though they are a little rich for my wallet.

Mod list:
Cobb RMM, TIP, SRI w air box, CBE and AP3
Corksport Short throw plate w/ shifter bushings, TMIC and BPV
CPE catted DP
Tune done by Will at PD-Tuning (still slow need BT)
150k miles on original motor and turbo
H&R sport springs w/ Koni yellows
17x9 +48 6UL with 245/45R17 Flaken Azenis
Loophole35 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #4

Bertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud ofBertospeed3 has much to be proud of
Groans: 2
Not Ranked  0 score     

how many miles on the corksport coils and what condition would you say theyre in? I'd definitely consider taking them off your hands.

Also, whats the update on the smoking situation? I'm assuming the cars good now and you plan to keep it if youre dropping money on V3s
Cobb SF Intake & TIH w. Blitz Filter
CP-e TMIC
Corksport Dual VTA BPV
JBR 88 Duro RMM
Bertospeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #5

yasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond reputeyasun has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Bertospeed3 View Post
how many miles on the corksport coils and what condition would you say theyre in? I'd definitely consider taking them off your hands.

Also, whats the update on the smoking situation? I'm assuming the cars good now and you plan to keep it if youre dropping money on V3s
The CorkSport shocks are totally blown at the rear, and not a whole lot better in the front. I think they are even leaking a bit at the rear. The rear end is basically pogo-ing around, riding on the springs with little or no damping at this point. Not fun, and not safe. I'll be limping it to the shop in PA.

I've mostly avoided driving it the past month or so as I waited for my new car to arrive so I'd have something to drive while the MS3 is at the shop in PA. The new car arrived early last month (almost two months earlier than expected). So I ordered the KWV3s and made the appointment. I'm excited to see how the KW's work, although from my reading here, I expect some trial and error at first while I dial in the settings.

The replacement turbo is working well, and the exhaust smoking from the blown turbo has gone away completely. That all worked out well. So yeah, I'm hoping to keep the MS3 for another couple years, at least. The car is so much fun, it will be hard to ever let go.

I still haven't replaced the HPFP internals. I discussed that with the shop doing the coilover install and they are very familiar with it. So I might get them to do that while it's there. It would open the door to some easy bolt on power mods.

Originally Posted by Thor Hammer View Post
No experience with them but they are their top of the line offering. Let us know how they compare once installed.
Will do. I'm excited to find out.

Originally Posted by Loophole35 View Post
Very interested in your experience with them though they are a little rich for my wallet.
To be honest, they are probably overkill for a 2011 MS3. I mean, parts and labor will probably be just under half the current value of the car. But I've had so much fun with this car that I figured fuck it; put a decent suspension in and keep the fun rolling for another couple years.

When I retire and wind up living in a tent, at least I'll have some good memories.

Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II N1 235/40-18 on Enkei Tuning TS9 18x8.5+45(winter)

Last edited by yasun; 03-29-2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 03-30-2019, 07:19 AM   #6

Carskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Congratz!

I'll be interested in your experience. I just had my KWv2s installed, along with side motor mounts, poly bushings, adjustable endlinks, and sway bars.

BTW, make sure you get shorter end links up front, the mounting points are 1" lower than stock. I had to call whiteline to get the shorter endlink shaft or w/e it was called.

Just noticed you have the exact same wheels as me, size and all, though I did the Continental Extreme Sport 245/40/18 on mine.

So far, I love the setup, but I'm still breaking in and getting a little bit of clunking over large bumps. It already seems to be getting better, so I'm hoping it's just breaking in (Suspension and bushings)

Best of luck with your setup!
yasun likes this.
Current Performance Mods: APv3 Freektune 93 & E-30 | JBR 3.0 SRI | ETS TMIC w/JBR Red Tubes | SpeedDaddy TP | AT HPFP | Damond Triple Mounted | Southbend S2 Endurance Clutch/Fly | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | EBC RedStuff Pads | Enkei PF01 18x8.5 +48 | Continental EC Sport 245/40R18 | KWv2 Coilovers | Whiteline LCA Bushings, Anti-Lift, & Bump Steer | Whiteline Endlinks | JBR .125 FSB & RSB w/billet bushings/mounts | CS Lower Tie Bar | DM OCC w/VTA | JBR Shifter Bushings
Stereo Mods: Pioneer AVH4100NEX | Phoenix Gold 6.5" Comps Front | Focal 6.5 Coax Rears | Polk 12" in Trunk Floor Enclosure | PPI 4x125W amp driving Fronts & Sub
Other Mods: FIAMM 72112 Low Note Horn alongside stock
Mods Awaitting Install: Redline Leather Center Armrest & Handbrake Boot
Future Mods: Injector Seals | Built Block & BNR S3v2 if ZZB
Removed Mods: JBR 70A RMM | Koni STR.T Orange Shocks
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carskick For This Useful Post:
yasun (04-08-2019)
 Old 04-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Carskick View Post
Congratz!

I'll be interested in your experience. I just had my KWv2s installed, along with side motor mounts, poly bushings, adjustable endlinks, and sway bars.

BTW, make sure you get shorter end links up front, the mounting points are 1" lower than stock. I had to call whiteline to get the shorter endlink shaft or w/e it was called.

Just noticed you have the exact same wheels as me, size and all, though I did the Continental Extreme Sport 245/40/18 on mine.

So far, I love the setup, but I'm still breaking in and getting a little bit of clunking over large bumps. It already seems to be getting better, so I'm hoping it's just breaking in (Suspension and bushings)

Best of luck with your setup!
Thanks for the tip about the shorter end-links. I'm forwarding that over to the folks doing the install, in case they aren't aware.

How're all the handling mods working for you? Should be pretty tight.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

@Carskick;

Just to follow up. I realized you have the Gen1 MS3 (I didn't think the V2s would work for the Gen2). So it could be that the lower mounting point isn't an issue w/the V3s. I passed along the info to the shop; they will sort it out.

Curious where the clunking you heard was coming from. I had clunking after I installed the Corksport coilovers. The front would clank a bit (getting the mount tightened more at the top mostly cured it there). The rears also clunked a bit, and again, tightening the mount at the top seemed to mostly cure it. I stripped the driver's side bolts trying to get it tighter. So the shop will have fun removing those.

Now I have a lot of noise, which could be from any number of things. I let the shop know to notify me about anything badly worn they find and I'll probably get them to replace it. Would be nice to have the car buttoned up tight and quiet.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #9
rabble rabble

802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,935 Times in 2,083 Posts
Groans: 221
Groaned at 103 Times in 56 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Where did you buy them from and did you shop around? Haven't bought anything for the car in a while and these are at the top of my list.
 Old 04-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 802MS3 View Post
Where did you buy them from and did you shop around? Haven't bought anything for the car in a while and these are at the top of my list.
They were hard to find. Couldn't find them in stock from the usual sources, and the shop I'm using couldn't find them through their sources. Everything was back-ordered.

I eventually found them in stock on Amazon. But there were only 3 left in stock.

The Following User Says Thank You to yasun For This Useful Post:
802MS3 (04-14-2019)
 Old 04-15-2019, 07:17 AM   #11
rabble rabble

802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just found the gen1 part number on amazon too. But I checked KW's website, and the price listed there is about $300 less than what the seller on amazon is selling it for. Did you attempt to order directly from KW?
 Old 04-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just found the gen1 part number on amazon too. But I checked KW's website, and the price listed there is about $300 less than what the seller on amazon is selling it for. Did you attempt to order directly from KW?
I believe I checked KW and they were not in stock. I don't recall the price difference, but I do know that other vendors that sold the KWs but didn't have them in stock had lower prices than on Amazon (this is for V3s for my Gen2 - although for all I know, it's the same part for Gen1 and Gen2).

According to the shop I'm using, they had tried ordering KWV3s for another customer, and after having been back-ordered forever (I forgot how long, but months), they gave up and installed another brand.

So I ate the higher cost and ordered them off Amazon. I was a little concerned about the condition, but I opened the box and everything seemed like original packaging and all.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #13
rabble rabble

Not Ranked  0 score     

I believe I checked KW and they were not in stock. I don't recall the price difference, but I do know that other vendors that sold the KWs but didn't have them in stock had lower prices than on Amazon (this is for V3s for my Gen2 - although for all I know, it's the same part for Gen1 and Gen2).

According to the shop I'm using, they had tried ordering KWV3s for another customer, and after having been back-ordered forever (I forgot how long, but months), they gave up and installed another brand.

So I ate the higher cost and ordered them off Amazon. I was a little concerned about the condition, but I opened the box and everything seemed like original packaging and all.
Yeah definitely different part numbers for gen1/gen2.

I actually just called KW directly and asked about availability. They said the coilovers would need to be built in their Germany factory, taking about 4-6 weeks, but the dude said if I placed the order with him, it would be drop-shipped from Germany and bypass KW in the US, with free shipping. Total was the amount on the website for the gen1 part, which was $2005.99. I just went for it, since I don't mind waiting. I also confirmed with him that the current promotion on the KW homepage is still valid ($350 mail-in rebate for V3's) and he said "yes definitely". So even though I need to wait a month, I'm pumped that I'm getting some V3's for $1700.

Let us know how the install goes at R/T. I actually went to that shop years ago for a MSF dyno day
 Old 04-18-2019, 11:25 AM   #14

Carskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

@Carskick;

Just to follow up. I realized you have the Gen1 MS3 (I didn't think the V2s would work for the Gen2). So it could be that the lower mounting point isn't an issue w/the V3s. I passed along the info to the shop; they will sort it out.

Curious where the clunking you heard was coming from. I had clunking after I installed the Corksport coilovers. The front would clank a bit (getting the mount tightened more at the top mostly cured it there). The rears also clunked a bit, and again, tightening the mount at the top seemed to mostly cure it. I stripped the driver's side bolts trying to get it tighter. So the shop will have fun removing those.

Now I have a lot of noise, which could be from any number of things. I let the shop know to notify me about anything badly worn they find and I'll probably get them to replace it. Would be nice to have the car buttoned up tight and quiet.
Not sure if the V2s work on the Gen 2 or not. Curious if the mounting points are different than yours. Gen 1 & 2 share the same chassis, though there are some suspension differences.

After driving the car for a couple of weeks, it was back at the shop getting tweaks (No extra charge). The rear was making noise, but was fixed by them tightening top hads. They greased the springs, which helped, but I still get some spring clunk if I got fast enough on a major bump. I've heard this is common with KWs, but their greasing did help. We also turned the rebound settings up from 10 to 15, and maxed out the JBR rear sway bar to reduce understeer. Last, we added a Corksport Lower Tie Rod.

I've only had it back since yesterday, but so far, the car feels epic! No understeer, perfect balance, and surprisingly comfortable for what it is.

I have an unrelated issue with radial pull. Since this car was new, I've had about 6 different sets of tires, and 3 sets developed radial pull after rears were rotated forward. I'm hoping the new suspension will help prevent this, but I'm going to put the tires back where they started, and never rotate again. Instead, I'm just going to replace the fronts more often, as radial pull is obnoxious. What I'm calling radial pull is the car goes straight or pulls slightly one way, but give it gas, and it pulls the other direction. Switching front tires reverses it.

But otherwise, I'm loving the combination of the suspension upgrades.

@802MS3 $1700 is a great price on the v3s. I think I paid around $1440 on the V2s. I got them through Summit, and they were also drop shipped direct from Germany. Took about a month.
Current Performance Mods: APv3 Freektune 93 & E-30 | JBR 3.0 SRI | ETS TMIC w/JBR Red Tubes | SpeedDaddy TP | AT HPFP | Damond Triple Mounted | Southbend S2 Endurance Clutch/Fly | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | EBC RedStuff Pads | Enkei PF01 18x8.5 +48 | Continental EC Sport 245/40R18 | KWv2 Coilovers | Whiteline LCA Bushings, Anti-Lift, & Bump Steer | Whiteline Endlinks | JBR .125 FSB & RSB w/billet bushings/mounts | CS Lower Tie Bar | DM OCC w/VTA | JBR Shifter Bushings
Stereo Mods: Pioneer AVH4100NEX | Phoenix Gold 6.5" Comps Front | Focal 6.5 Coax Rears | Polk 12" in Trunk Floor Enclosure | PPI 4x125W amp driving Fronts & Sub
 Old 04-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah definitely different part numbers for gen1/gen2.

I actually just called KW directly and asked about availability. They said the coilovers would need to be built in their Germany factory, taking about 4-6 weeks, but the dude said if I placed the order with him, it would be drop-shipped from Germany and bypass KW in the US, with free shipping. Total was the amount on the website for the gen1 part, which was $2005.99. I just went for it, since I don't mind waiting. I also confirmed with him that the current promotion on the KW homepage is still valid ($350 mail-in rebate for V3's) and he said "yes definitely". So even though I need to wait a month, I'm pumped that I'm getting some V3's for $1700.

Let us know how the install goes at R/T. I actually went to that shop years ago for a MSF dyno day
$1700 is a great price. If my suspension wasn't in dangerously bad condition, I'd have been more willing to wait. Maybe I should've anyway.

I will definitely post back here after the install. I've been impressed with what I've seen of the operation at R/T so far. Hopefully this experience lives up to what I've seen and experienced.

I kind of want to add a bunch of work to the job since the car's going to be there for at least a week and it's not exactly close to me. But I've been shedding money so far this year, and have a bunch of work I need to get done around my house. I need to let my bank account heal.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not sure if the V2s work on the Gen 2 or not. Curious if the mounting points are different than yours. Gen 1 & 2 share the same chassis, though there are some suspension differences.

After driving the car for a couple of weeks, it was back at the shop getting tweaks (No extra charge). The rear was making noise, but was fixed by them tightening top hads. They greased the springs, which helped, but I still get some spring clunk if I got fast enough on a major bump. I've heard this is common with KWs, but their greasing did help. We also turned the rebound settings up from 10 to 15, and maxed out the JBR rear sway bar to reduce understeer. Last, we added a Corksport Lower Tie Rod.

I've only had it back since yesterday, but so far, the car feels epic! No understeer, perfect balance, and surprisingly comfortable for what it is.

I have an unrelated issue with radial pull. Since this car was new, I've had about 6 different sets of tires, and 3 sets developed radial pull after rears were rotated forward. I'm hoping the new suspension will help prevent this, but I'm going to put the tires back where they started, and never rotate again. Instead, I'm just going to replace the fronts more often, as radial pull is obnoxious. What I'm calling radial pull is the car goes straight or pulls slightly one way, but give it gas, and it pulls the other direction. Switching front tires reverses it.

But otherwise, I'm loving the combination of the suspension upgrades.
You probably already know this better than I, but be wary of snap oversteer, at first, with the stiffer rear sway bar. Especially in the wet. I'm paranoid, so I'd probably take it to an empty lot and push it to see how hard it is to induce oversteer.

Always thought radial pull was an inherent tire defect. If it pulls to one side and reverses to the other when the tire is switched to the other side, that sounds like radial pull. But the changeover to pulling the other way under acceleration sounds more like torque steer (or misalignment). Whatever's going on, it does sound annoying. I hope you can cure it.

With my summer tires, I've had some mild tramlining issues. But in general, things were pretty solid, handling-wise w/the old Corksport coilover setup and the alignment R/T did on the car (don't have the alignment specs, I don't think, or I'd post them). Torque steer had mostly disappeared. Had some understeer, but that suits my brake early, accelerate through the apex driving style. Probably wouldn't work well on a track.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

You probably already know this better than I, but be wary of snap oversteer, at first, with the stiffer rear sway bar. Especially in the wet. I'm paranoid, so I'd probably take it to an empty lot and push it to see how hard it is to induce oversteer.

Always thought radial pull was an inherent tire defect. If it pulls to one side and reverses to the other when the tire is switched to the other side, that sounds like radial pull. But the changeover to pulling the other way under acceleration sounds more like torque steer (or misalignment). Whatever's going on, it does sound annoying. I hope you can cure it.

With my summer tires, I've had some mild tramlining issues. But in general, things were pretty solid, handling-wise w/the old Corksport coilover setup and the alignment R/T did on the car (don't have the alignment specs, I don't think, or I'd post them). Torque steer had mostly disappeared. Had some understeer, but that suits my brake early, accelerate through the apex driving style. Probably wouldn't work well on a track.
Thanks, I'll try to be safe! We are supposed to get a big storm tomorrow, so I'll get to test it out.

Snap oversteer was the main reason I did upgrade the front bar, too. If the front is stock, and you max out the rear, snap oversteer supposedly gets really bad. Some people advocate this, but I think it'd be dangerous as a DD, and not as fast on a track; More a drift car at that point. Stiffening the FSB too definitely helps stabilize it the car. I've whipped it around at speed several times so far. With the RSB on medium and dampers on 10, I still got understeer at the limit, and no oversteer at all. But, I'd have to push pretty hard to enduse it, due to the grip. Now I'm trying RSB on max to balance the stiffer front. I also need more dampening, so we set that to 15 all around. It's much, much better. But I still have testing to do.

For the radial issue, I thought it was a defect, too. But considering I've now had 3 sets of tires develop this and show up after rotation, I have to believe that my back end is doing it to the tires. My rear had started sagging, so I'm hoping all that we did will fix what it was doing to tires. But for now, my solution will be to rotate each tirer back where it was which should eliminate the pull. It did before on a previous set. Then, I'll just be replacing my fronts more often than my rear instead of rotating. Whatever .

I've been driving this car for over 10 years and 95k miles, and I've gotten so in tune with it's quirks and feelings. Or so I'd like to believe!

I've heard good things about the corksports, so I'm surprised yours wore out. How many miles did you have on them?

Best of luck with your install! I think you'll like the KWs, but make sure you grease everything really well. We even had to lubricate the front springs due to the inherent spring noise. But since the adjustments, the suspension could pass for a much stiffer stock feel & sound, except for front spring noise going too fast on a really bad.

I actually originally wanted the Bilstein B16's, but after waiting on backorder for 3 months, only to be old it'd be another 3 months, I gave up and went to KW. Overall, I'm satisfied. I'm sure you will be, too!
 Old 04-27-2019, 07:28 AM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

So just an update on the snap oversteer concern after a bit more driving/testing:

At the 15/20 damper settings, FSB on soft, RSB on stiff:

At low speeds, it's perfectly balanced. I've done several high speed large corners now, and it does oversteer a little, but no snap oversteer. Just a very controlled minor swing out from the rear. With my setup, if I were going to a high speed track, I may go back to medium on the RSB, just to be safe and be able to push it fully in the corners. In an autocross or low speed track, definitely the RSB on stiff is the way to go. In a perfect world, I think I'd want setting between medium and full stiff on my RSB.

As my daily, I'm leaving it as is for now. It's stable enough to be very safe, and I really have to push the car hard at speed to induce oversteer. I've driven in the rain, and it's also perfectly safe. That being said, sway bars only take effect in turns, and since I don't take crazy turns in the rain, it doesn't matter much.

Everyone's setup is different, so these thoughts/settings don't apply to everyone. Spring stiffness, tire width, and other mods effect how much sway bar it takes to balance things out.

I look forward to experimenting with different degrees of throttle in the turns to balancing things out. I really like the balance now, as it feels that giving it gas will stop oversteer and induce understeer, while braking or letting off the gas creates more oversteer. Can't wait to practice this on a track!

I hope this is helpful!
 Old 05-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So just an update on the snap oversteer concern after a bit more driving/testing:

At the 15/20 damper settings, FSB on soft, RSB on stiff:

At low speeds, it's perfectly balanced. I've done several high speed large corners now, and it does oversteer a little, but no snap oversteer. Just a very controlled minor swing out from the rear. With my setup, if I were going to a high speed track, I may go back to medium on the RSB, just to be safe and be able to push it fully in the corners. In an autocross or low speed track, definitely the RSB on stiff is the way to go. In a perfect world, I think I'd want setting between medium and full stiff on my RSB.

As my daily, I'm leaving it as is for now. It's stable enough to be very safe, and I really have to push the car hard at speed to induce oversteer. I've driven in the rain, and it's also perfectly safe. That being said, sway bars only take effect in turns, and since I don't take crazy turns in the rain, it doesn't matter much.

Everyone's setup is different, so these thoughts/settings don't apply to everyone. Spring stiffness, tire width, and other mods effect how much sway bar it takes to balance things out.

I look forward to experimenting with different degrees of throttle in the turns to balancing things out. I really like the balance now, as it feels that giving it gas will stop oversteer and induce understeer, while braking or letting off the gas creates more oversteer. Can't wait to practice this on a track!

I hope this is helpful!
Slight oversteer is fun, so that sounds like a good setup. My experience w/my speed 3 has been that additional throttle and gentle counter-steer solves a lot of my brain-farts. I'm not sure if that's inherent to FWD platforms or not, but it is a nice feature of the car's handling.

I actually had a snap oversteer moment in my 911 on Monday, coming home from lunch, while overcooking things in the exit of a tight u-turn. The rear end snapped out hard, but the car's stability control intervened, apparently reversed the rear-axle steering angle (judging by the sudden harsh butt-wiggle). Although I'd like to think I'd have saved it myself if I had the nannies turned off. Maybe.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Been chatting w/the shop. They have the suspension on, but my winter wheels (specs in my signature) are a bit close to them. They want me to bring my summer setup in to check the fitment. Both sets of wheels are both 8.5, but summer offset 3mm closer to suspension and summer tires are 245s instead of 235s - putting the summer package roughly 8mm closer to the V3 suspension.

So I'm bringing the summer setup down on Wednesday and they'll put those on the car and check it out, do the alignment for them. If that works, it should be acceptable also for the winter setup.

I might wind up needing 5mm spacers for the summer setup. Which would suck, but would be way cheaper than new wheels.

Then I'll get the car back and start trying to tune the suspension.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Picked up the car from the shop on Wednesday. The shop installed them with everything set to the middle of the range. Ride height-wise, there's about a finger clearance front and rear.

Drove the roughly 75 miles home via back roads with lots of great turns and hills and so forth. Gotta say, if I'd known just how good these V3's were, I would have gone directly to them instead of the Corksport's.

The V3's totally blow away the old, no longer sold, Corksport coilovers. Yeah, they're more expensive. But I am very, very impressed with them. Despite being just as stiff as the Corksports, the quality of the ride is vastly improved. Waaaaay more comfortable over bumps and minor potholes and such.

I only just got them, and need to put 1000 miles on, or so, before I'd be willing to recommend them. But right now, they're really great. Lowered car, great handling, firm ride, but with great damping, so quite comfortable.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:14 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I should point out that it was getting complicated to fit my summer wheel/tire set on with the new suspension. I could've solved it with spacers, but ultimately, I've decided to just keep the winter setup on until the winter performance tires need replacement. Then I'm going to go w/a performance all season tire instead, just keep the one set.

So I'm probably going to put my Enkei wheels up for sale, along with the lightly used set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on them. The wheels have some curb rash, some of it bad, so could probably use some aesthetic repairs.

I also have the old Corksport coilovers and camber plates (the camber plates don't work with the V3s). It's possible that Corksport could get them rebuilt and revalved, even though they don't sell them anymore. Or at least they'd know who the OEM was and could forward somebody to them.

Not sure what I'll be asking for the wheels and/or tires, and I could sell them separately.

The coilovers and camber plates I'll give away to anybody that wants them.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #23

Oshiguru is a glorious beacon of lightOshiguru is a glorious beacon of lightOshiguru is a glorious beacon of lightOshiguru is a glorious beacon of lightOshiguru is a glorious beacon of lightOshiguru is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm surprised your summer wheels don't fit being only sunk in an extra 3mm. If you do want just one set you shouldn't have any issues selling that set and getting a decent AS like as3+ or dws06.

I had kw v1s which were super comfortable. Felt way better after I found a shop who was able to corner balance align it.
Oshiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm confused, how do they don't fit?

I have the exact wheels same wheels with 245/40/18s, and they fit fine with no spacers with my V2s. I didn't think V3s were any larger.

EDIT: I assume you have gen 2 since you're in gen 2 forum. Mine is gen 1, but I didn't think it'd make a difference. Everyone always say gen 2's have more space, at least on the outside...
 Old 05-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Oshiguru View Post
I'm surprised your summer wheels don't fit being only sunk in an extra 3mm. If you do want just one set you shouldn't have any issues selling that set and getting a decent AS like as3+ or dws06.

I had kw v1s which were super comfortable. Felt way better after I found a shop who was able to corner balance align it.
The winter wheels are a pretty tight fit and wear 235s. The summer wheels are 3mm closer, but also wear 245s which would put them even a bit closer than that (same size wheel, so not the full 10mm, but a few mm at least). The shop was pretty sure they'd require spacers, but was willing to test fit them and get the spacers and all, if needed.

But I'm not normally driving the car at 10/10ths or even 8/10ths on the road so changing over to some high performance all-season tires will be good enough, once my winter tires need replacing.

I'm confused, how do they don't fit?

I have the exact wheels same wheels with 245/40/18s, and they fit fine with no spacers with my V2s. I didn't think V3s were any larger.

EDIT: I assume you have gen 2 since you're in gen 2 forum. Mine is gen 1, but I didn't think it'd make a difference. Everyone always say gen 2's have more space, at least on the outside...
Yeah, I have a Gen 2. I trust this shop's judgement, although, as I said just above, they'd make it work if I wanted. I just decided not to bother pursing it. At least for now.

I may not offer up the wheels for sale though, maybe only the tires. If I decide to turn the car into a track-only car (something I've been considering), then the lightweight Enkei summer wheels would be ideal. And at that point, I'd be messing around with other suspension and alignment stuff and adding spacers and adjusting for the altered scrub radius would just be part of that whole thing.

Last edited by yasun; 05-18-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 05-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

May be worth trying it without spacers first, you can always add spacers. But it's up to you. With our suspension, I don't believe the angle of the tire ever changes during suspension travel, relative to the body. So the tire can be just mm away and never rub.

Also, I know a lot of people here are running wheels of this offset & this width tire, never heard of problem, except for tire rubbing in the outer wheel well. (worse on gen 1)

Actually, now that I think about it, I remember telling them I thought I might need up to 5mm spacers, and they ended up telling me I didn't. Shouldn't the shop test them without to see if they rub for you?