register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Suspension & Brakes

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By FastblackS2K
  • 1 Post By Fstrnyou
  • 1 Post By FastblackS2K
  • 1 Post By FastblackS2K

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-31-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

FastblackS2K is just really niceFastblackS2K is just really niceFastblackS2K is just really niceFastblackS2K is just really niceFastblackS2K is just really nice
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Never ending brake squeal

I'll keep this short. Changed pads and rotors on all 4 corners in late summer. Went with the EBC Ultimax 2 to stick with stock like braking. All was good and then after the 1000 mile brake in I started getting a brake squeal while driving. The noise goes away when brakes are applied. It acts like there's a high spot on the rotor because it's not constant. Its like a "chirp" every rotation. But there is no pulsating or anything, and it only seems to happen after the brakes get some heat in them.

I've searched high and low for answers, and I've even swapped out the parts (EBC warranted them out). So, car stops great, it's just an annoyance, curious if anyone has ever experienced anything similar? Seems unlikely I would get 2 sets of bad pads / rotors and I've never had this type of a squeal on the many many brakes I've done over the years.
FastblackS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #2

ChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the worldChaunceyM is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Are the calipers clean and all parts lubed and sliding well? Were the dust boots intact and the pistons clean? It almost sounds like they're sticking when you left off the pedal instead of retracting. So something might be binding the piston in the bore or the external moving parts are covered in gunk and corrosion and not moving freely.
TWM: Full Replacement Shifter
Cobb: AP
AutoTech: HPFP Internals
Ebay: Test Pipe
ChaunceyM is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #3

.Slug is the leader of the world.Slug is the leader of the world.Slug is the leader of the world.Slug is the leader of the world.Slug is the leader of the world.Slug is the leader of the world.Slug is the leader of the world.Slug is the leader of the world.Slug is the leader of the world.Slug is the leader of the world.Slug is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

This sounds a lot like the problem I had recently:
Botched dealer brake job

The squealing ended up resolving on its own. Caused possibly by a "glaze" on my rotors that needed to be burned/worn away.

I did shit tons of research while the sound was happening though and found that it can be a myriad of problems that you just need to troubleshoot away:
1.) get a dial gauge with a fixture to attach to the axel to measure for rotor run-out and compare to tolerances.
2.) check for anything impeding caliper piston operation
3.) re-lube the parts you're supposed to lube when changing things. After the dealer re-lubed my caliper parts, things quieted down a bit.
4.) improper bedding
5.) look for bent retention pins

Hope you get this resolved, let us know what fixes it, if anything. (mine seemed to fix itself)
.Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #4

FastblackS2K is just really niceFastblackS2K is just really niceFastblackS2K is just really niceFastblackS2K is just really niceFastblackS2K is just really nice
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     

Been a crazy week or so.

So I had checked runout, swapped pads + rotor, kept driving to see if it would "fix itself", etc. Was going to recheck / re-lube everything once it wasn't 10 degrees out but.... ended up trading the car in on a 2017 Focus RS this past Saturday. It's now the dealers problem. Most expensive way to fix brakes I've ever experienced...
sharksinspace likes this.
2017 Focus RS - The new ride
The Following User Says Thank You to FastblackS2K For This Useful Post:
aznpersuazn (01-11-2017)
 Old 01-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #5

Fstrnyou has a reputation beyond reputeFstrnyou has a reputation beyond reputeFstrnyou has a reputation beyond reputeFstrnyou has a reputation beyond reputeFstrnyou has a reputation beyond reputeFstrnyou has a reputation beyond reputeFstrnyou has a reputation beyond reputeFstrnyou has a reputation beyond reputeFstrnyou has a reputation beyond reputeFstrnyou has a reputation beyond reputeFstrnyou has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This should be made a sticky for anyone else having brake squeal! Best solution ever.
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (with several runs surpassing 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
2004 Olds Alero 2.2 - Broken for the past 14 months
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, SRI, TBE, 20psi, OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (150hp 5.0 slow -> 265hp 5.7 swap w/ Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers...not as slow)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Haha. I can't say it's not a good solution. The squeal is gone, and the braking got dramatically better.
 Old 01-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #7

sharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Not Ranked  0 score     

Damn, dude. I have such a boner for the RS; if only I had like $40k to drop on one, haha
Koni Orange; HTR Z III on RX8; DM PMM; CS RMM, RSB, Lower Tie Bar
FREEK'd on 93
sharksinspace is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Me too... just pile that debt on top of the student loans and mortgage, and then act like none of it exists.
 Old 01-10-2017, 07:05 PM   #9

sharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Not Ranked  0 score     

I do honestly hope to be able to make one my next car, maybe a couple or few years down the line. That or...an M3?
Koni Orange; HTR Z III on RX8; DM PMM; CS RMM, RSB, Lower Tie Bar
FREEK'd on 93
sharksinspace is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I actually considered an E92 M3 but for what I was willing to spend, didn't make sense to get a used car with 40-50k miles and no warranty. Plus I have a thing for hatchbacks.

I don't regret the RS one bit though. Still getting used to it, only had it a few days. But so far so good. Way different power curve than the MS3 though, much more linear.
 Old 01-12-2017, 12:15 AM   #11

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,082 Posts
Groans: 91
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, that is an absolutely awesome car. The only things that keeps me from buying one is the fact that is has a trunk smaller than a regular fiesta. So if you don't really have any special needs regarding the trunk space (where the civic typeR shines, its problem being that they don't make the FK2 any more and will probably release the newer model sometime in 2017) then the focus is unbeatable for the money.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote