register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Suspension & Brakes

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #1

tripppleP is on a distinguished road
Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Stock rear coil spring questions

Can you guys point me in the right direction. I need to replace the rear coil spring in my 2010 Speed3. I am going to switch out the rear with stock springs but wanted to make sure I get the right set. I plan to replace both the left and right rear. I also will replace the spring seat too.

The reason I am not doing a performance spring set is this is my first time working on my car and I don't want to fuss with lowering springs...which may lead to swapping suspension in the long run...and more cost at the moment.

The spring I think I need is part: Moog 81693.
I have tow links below and they are $30 difference and I don't know why when they are the same item.

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-81693
$81

https://www.rockauto.com/en/cart/
$50

The spring seat is part: BP4K28012A
http://www.mazda-parts.com/2010-mazd...4K28012A-item/

Are the above links/items the rear coil spring for the Speed3?
Thanks for any advice and help.
tripppleP is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-09-2019, 08:24 PM   #2

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,827 Times in 981 Posts
Groans: 141
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Those are for a regular Mazda 3. The springs for the Speed 3 are much stiffer. Not the same.

You need this:

https://www.mazdacitywebstore.com/p/...BN628011D.html

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10 years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #3

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

why do you replace coils at first place ? You can have adjustable camber arm to adjust the camber if it cannot be align right...
On these cars it is usually the shock that break first? Have you checked them too ?
You need to replace at least both side together (as you plan) and the best is usually to have 4 coils of the same wear or from the same kit for best stability.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
why do you replace coils at first place ? You can have adjustable camber arm to adjust the camber if it cannot be align right...
On these cars it is usually the shock that break first? Have you checked them too ?
You need to replace at least both side together (as you plan) and the best is usually to have 4 coils of the same wear or from the same kit for best stability.
I replaced a shock about 2 years ago that failed. The rear right coil was found on a state inspection and you can hear the right rear rattle over some bumps but is different that when the shock went out. I want to replace both rear to save money from a garage doing the work.

I am wondering if I should swap out all four with some sort of upgrade kit. But, I don't really want a stiffer ride or lower the car as its my only car at the moment and I live in North-East and drive the car in snow at times.

It looks like swapping the rear two with stock springs might cost about $200 for the two springs and spring seats. Yet, a performance spring kit for all four springs seems to run $200-250. So, again, I am willing to research upgrades but might save that for later and just replace the two rear springs as the one is broken and needs fixing sooner than later.

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
Those are for a regular Mazda 3. The springs for the Speed 3 are much stiffer. Not the same.

You need this:

Thanks. I appreciate the link.

Last edited by tripppleP; 01-10-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 01-11-2019, 05:54 AM   #5

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Strange...To point out a coil i would believe it need to be broken, (i mean completely separated in 2 parts with the car lowered on just 1 side.) If it just makes noise it is something else like the seat, link, control arm, shock head or a dry bushing...

Coils compress a bit over time but unless it break apart, ordinary peoples don't change them unless they want to recover comfort, get more stiffness or, these days, rub the tires against the fender.

IMO it would be hard to find a complete aftermarket kit that isn't lowering the car. And be careful as many springs first purpose is to makes the car looking lower in a parking without enough care to ride performances.

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 01-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #6

GohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of light
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat with my 6. My car is running low, I'm not sure if the previous owner cut the springs intentionally or if they're sagging with age. It's the exact height most people seem to want with lowering kits, but it's too low for me and after doing all the research pretty much the only things I can do is either bite the bullet and drop $400 on new OEM springs or get some adjustable coilovers, which isn't happening. Pretty much all the stock height replacements are made for the regular car and not suitable for the Speed.
GohanX is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #7

Not Ranked  0 score     

You can source a set of used ones if you suspect non oem or cut springs.
It could fatigue a bit but it won't drop few inches, maybe half an inch at maximum...
Do you have a picture of your car showing the wheel gap front/rear with a measuring tape ? i can compare with mine. I'm pretty sure i have oem ones used for 12years and 160 000km for refferences...
i remember seeing some dark red line painted but i'm not sure if it was on the coils or the shocks...Few lowering set aren't black painted but another color. It isn't a proof but...

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 01-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #8

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

A broken spring would definitely cause that corner to sit lower. Perhaps it is just a broken shock mount. A fatigue crack. They are easy to crack or break if the bolts are over tightened, because the stock mount is aluminum.

BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
 Old 01-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #9

Jakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

I went through this as well. Rear springs started sagging. Stock = too much $$$. I replaced with Corksport springs because $200 and I had points with them. I actually gained about 1/4” in height with the CS compared to to sagging stock springs. I also replaced the spring seat (insulator).

I wanted to add a 1/4 riser under the spring but I didn’t have the balls to try to make my own and I couldn’t find any.
 Old 01-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

For me the car is not sagging. The spring looks fine from looking under the car. The car does make a bumping sound when you go over bumps.

The garage that did my inspection told me that the rear coil spring was broken. So I don't think my situation is the shock.

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post

You need this:

Anyone order from this place before? I emailed them days ago and they haven't replied. I wanted to know if the item was one spring or a two spring set. The fact they haven't replied is making me wonder if I should order from them.

Last edited by tripppleP; 01-13-2019 at 06:38 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 01-14-2019, 06:20 AM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by tripppleP View Post
For me the car is not sagging. The spring looks fine from looking under the car. The car does make a bumping sound when you go over bumps.

The garage that did my inspection told me that the rear coil spring was broken. So I don't think my situation is the shock.

Anyone order from this place before? I emailed them days ago and they haven't replied. I wanted to know if the item was one spring or a two spring set. The fact they haven't replied is making me wonder if I should order from them.
Call them on their phone line. But first, please look at the shock mount and the rear swaybar end link on that side. Those are common sources of noise. A broken coil spring is very rare.

Common usually trumps rare. That is especially true if the car is not lower on that side. It would benefit you to put that corner up on a jackstand, remove the tire and inspect carefully before ordering parts.

OEM springs are sold individually, but ask that dealer when you call. I have not bought from them, but many dealers that have on-line parts sales respond more quickly to a phone call, especially if your email was toward the end of the week. You might not get an email reply until Monday or Tuesday of the next week. Just pick up the phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSMS3 For This Useful Post:
tripppleP (01-14-2019)
 Old 01-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The reason's I think it is the coil spring is I brought it to a shop that I frequent and they did the state inspection and told me the rear right coil spring was broken.

The right rear is about a 1/2" lower. I measured today and the tire is closer to the wheel well compared to the other side.

I had the rear shocks replaced a few years ago. It was a similar sound and feel to what I feel now but its a little different. When the shock was broken I seemed to loose traction here and there around corners and now I don't but the feeling/sound is kind of similar.

I have been working a lot and I am not sure what to do. I wanted to order the spring and replace it this weekend if I could. I may take a chance and trust the garage I go to that this is the problem. If it isn't I'm out $200 and have new spring but may need to swap something else. But if it is the spring then I'm good.

Idk. I'm learning. Thanks for the replies!
 Old 01-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #13

Jakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond reputeJakeypoo has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

It’s pretty easy to take off the rear shock and spring. If the spring is broken you will see it. If you take off the rear shock and it is bad it’s also pretty easy to tell. Not so much with the front.
MSMS3 (01-14-2019), tripppleP (01-15-2019)
 Old 01-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #14

Quazz236 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is the noise similar to worn out sway bar links? My car was making all sorts of noise from the rear. So i replaced the shocks and sway bar links(both definitely needed replacement) but I still had some noise left over. I almost went for new springs but ended up getting new seats first since the springs looked ok. And after replacing the spring seats its completely gone. So if you're planing on doing both springs and seats, try replacing the seats first. Chances are the noise will go away.
Quazz236 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #15

Not Ranked  0 score     

it is up to you but as explained above it is pretty easy and straight forward to lift the car, remove the tire and check if the coil is cracked or separated in 2 parts once stretched...

IMo the rear of those car is always a bit weak so it won't hurt to change both even if it isn't the main problem.

Wife drive 2010 CX7

Old 02-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, I got my OEM rear recoil springs and plan to replace both tomorrow. Is there anything I should know. I am doing this with a friend who has done this to his car before.

One question I know I have...Is there set toques for each bolt I need to remove and them put back?
 Old 02-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok. All done. That wasnt too bad.
 Old 02-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #18

Spectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the worldSpectrix is the leader of the world
Groaned at 7 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Did it solve the noise?

Cobb AP ~ Autotech HPFP Internals ~ HTP 3" Intake ~ Custom Testpipe ~ Cobb RSB ~ Sticky Tires.
Self tuned on E85
Spectrix is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok. All done. That wasnt too bad.

Was the spring broken?

Old 02-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes, the right rear spring was broken near the bottom. Both springs were slightly compressed. I swapped both of them out along with the spring seat.
The Following User Says Thank You to tripppleP For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (02-13-2019)