register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Suspension & Brakes

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-07-2019, 07:00 AM   #1

mhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Stripped hardline nut while installing brakes

I was working on installing my Stoptech brakes this weekend, and I completely rounded the nut that is attached to the front passenger hard line.

PB Blaster, heat, and sadly a set of vice grips, finally loosened it.

I believe the threads to be ok, however the hex nut is f'd.

The only way I can see to fix that, would be a new hard line or to have the tools and know how to cut and install a new flange nut, neither of which I have.

Is it ok to just leave it, install the new SS lines, and snug it up with channel locks?

I dont think you need to apply a lot of torque on the fitting, but I want to make sure it is 100% reliable.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1014.jpg (600.5 KB, 8 views)

2013 MAZDASPEED3 Liquid Silver (Stock and not allowed to touch!)
mhebert2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #2

08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world
Groans: 11
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I dont think anyone would say its ok, but I have done it before without any issues. As long as you can get it tight enough to seal I see no difference between using a wrench to tighten it or using vice grips to tighten it.
JBR 80 duro RMM
Cobb AP v3
Autotech internals
CX Racing FMIC
SPC rear camber arms
Hawk HPS pads front and rear
FREEKTUNE OTS+
1998 Civic - SOLD
2011 Speed3 200k+ miles Stock -Daily
08mzr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-07-2019, 07:59 AM   #3

mhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond reputemhebert2001 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks, that helps. Its not a pretty solution, but I would think I can get it tight enough to not leak, and as long as the vice grips didnt crack or warp anything, I guess its ok.

At this point, I would pay someone to finish it, and replace that line, but I cant even drive it somewhere without finishing the front brake installation.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #4

SaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Where you using flare nut wrenches? You could find a local hydraulic shop and many of them could repair and reflare the end for you. But you would have to get the whole line removed.
SaveMelMac is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

doublegmoto can only hope to improve
Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mhebert2001 View Post
Thanks, that helps. Its not a pretty solution, but I would think I can get it tight enough to not leak, and as long as the vice grips didnt crack or warp anything, I guess its ok.

At this point, I would pay someone to finish it, and replace that line, but I cant even drive it somewhere without finishing the front brake installation.
100% correct if you can tighten it enough so it does not leak under pressure. Your good. Graduated Denver auto and diesel in 1988 the reason I write this because of (some) of the idiotic crap I hear.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
doublegmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by doublegmoto View Post
100% correct if you can tighten it enough so it does not leak under pressure. Your good. Graduated Denver auto and diesel in 1988 the reason I write this because of (some) of the idiotic crap I hear.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
Good to hear, thanks man!

Originally Posted by SaveMelMac View Post
Where you using flare nut wrenches? You could find a local hydraulic shop and many of them could repair and reflare the end for you. But you would have to get the whole line removed.
I was. It was even brand new, and this is the 1st time the nut had been turned. It was really my fault.

Last edited by mhebert2001; 01-07-2019 at 09:07 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost