register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Suspension & Brakes

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kritz
  • 1 Post By gurusev
  • 1 Post By Pseudonym

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #1

gurusev is a glorious beacon of lightgurusev is a glorious beacon of lightgurusev is a glorious beacon of lightgurusev is a glorious beacon of lightgurusev is a glorious beacon of lightgurusev is a glorious beacon of light
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Suspension/combo or coilovers??

Good day guys,
I'm currently contemplating whether to buy coilovers or suspension/springs combo..

After doing a bit of research, I was going to buy bilstein b14 from Germany and was getting a good deal. Unfortunately, the seller is out of the stock.

So my question is what would you guys suggest based on your experiences? Should I buy suspension/spring combo or coilovers. I'm bit hesitant of buying suspension and springs separately as they haven't been tested together..

So here are some options which I'm considering at this stage
- bilstein b14
- koni fsd + spring combo??
- bilstein b8 + spring??
- weitec coilovers( made by kw)
- h&r coilovers

FYI, I'm looking for comfortable ride quality with minimal drop.. Also some of the coilovers are compatible with gen1 and wouldn't show for gen2 while searching.. Is it safe to say that both of them are interchangeable?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
gurusev is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #2

gurusev is a glorious beacon of lightgurusev is a glorious beacon of lightgurusev is a glorious beacon of lightgurusev is a glorious beacon of lightgurusev is a glorious beacon of lightgurusev is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Anyone??

Old 07-20-2013, 03:39 AM   #3

kritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the world
Thanked 16,792 Times in 4,852 Posts
Groans: 95
Groaned at 48 Times in 40 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Gen one rear struts have a different lower construction,the bushing is wider at the bottom. As for co or spings, it is a personal choice. I like a solid handling car and was willing to give up some comfort. This is the case if you coilovers, I think it is the way to go.

Sent from fastest ko4 Pu!
gurusev (07-20-2013), Raymond (07-25-2013)
 Old 07-20-2013, 05:00 AM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by kritz View Post
Gen one rear struts have a different lower construction,the bushing is wider at the bottom. As for co or spings, it is a personal choice. I like a solid handling car and was willing to give up some comfort. This is the case if you coilovers, I think it is the way to go.

Thanks mate for the reply. Here in Australia, roads are pretty bad. Even on stock, the car jumps all over the place.

As my mazda is a dd, I'm trying to find which coils or s/s will provide the most comfortable ride..

I'm surprised that not many members have replied..

Old 07-20-2013, 05:27 AM   #5

kritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the worldkritz is the leader of the world
Thanked 16,792 Times in 4,852 Posts
Groans: 95
Groaned at 48 Times in 40 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Lol bad roads,I live in NY and commute into NYC every day. We have some horrid roads,one of the reasons I run 17" wheels and 45 series tires.

gurusev likes this.
 Old 07-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,353 Times in 6,956 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The most comfortable combo with a small drop are FSDs with cobb springs. Add an rsb to that and you will have a better handling car that soaks up bumps nicely.

We Engineer, and that's better than just tuning!

www.stratifiedauto.com
COBB AP and VersaTuner Custom Tuning. Guardian Angel Protection and Boost Control.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
 Old 07-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was chatting with the members of german mazdaspeed forum in relation to b14 however they recommending me bc racing coil ;-). It funny how they were bashing bilstein and believed bc were better coilovers.

Now I'm more confused. Haha
In a case where I'm sticking with coilovers, which one would you guys suggest.. No crappy shit please..

Also got rsb on its way.. ;-)

Old 07-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #8

Gladcow is the leader of the worldGladcow is the leader of the worldGladcow is the leader of the worldGladcow is the leader of the worldGladcow is the leader of the worldGladcow is the leader of the worldGladcow is the leader of the worldGladcow is the leader of the worldGladcow is the leader of the worldGladcow is the leader of the worldGladcow is the leader of the world
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What are your goals for the car? Are you planning on tracking your car at all or is this strictly for street driving?

I was considering the same thing this past winter. However I chose the coilover setup because I was planning on tracking the car once or twice a year. I'm glad I did too because I'm tracking more often than anticipated. Springs or shocks sold individually are designed to work with their OEM counterpart. Coilovers can be designed for both springs and shocks to be appropriately stiffer.

With that said if all you want is a minimal drop without sacrificing ride quality I would suggest looking at a spring/shock combo.
Gladcow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gladcow For This Useful Post:
 Old 07-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Gladcow View Post
What are your goals for the car? Are you planning on tracking your car at all or is this strictly for street driving?

I was considering the same thing this past winter. However I chose the coilover setup because I was planning on tracking the car once or twice a year. I'm glad I did too because I'm tracking more often than anticipated. Springs or shocks sold individually are designed to work with their OEM counterpart. Coilovers can be designed for both springs and shocks to be appropriately stiffer.

With that said if all you want is a minimal drop without sacrificing ride quality I would suggest looking at a spring/shock combo.
Thanks mate for your reply. My car is strictly for street driving.. As stated Earlier, I'm after comfortable ride whilst Improving handling. I'm more than happy to spend cash on a quality setup..

How about bc racing coilovers? German mps forum had a group buy about 6 months and they are really pleased with the setup..

Jabl3s likes this.
 Old 07-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by gurusev View Post
Thanks mate for your reply. My car is strictly for street driving.. As stated Earlier, I'm after comfortable ride whilst Improving handling. I'm more than happy to spend cash on a quality setup..

How about bc racing coilovers? German mps forum had a group buy about 6 months and they are really pleased with the setup..

If you are set on coils meaning you want height adjustability for the street I would go with either kw v1 or the h&r coils.

www.stratifiedauto.com
COBB AP and VersaTuner Custom Tuning. Guardian Angel Protection and Boost Control.
Design (07-25-2013), Raymond (07-25-2013)
 Old 07-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex View Post
If you are set on coils meaning you want height adjustability for the street I would go with either kw v1 or the h&r coils.
I'm not really set on coilovers but trying to find which is best combo for minimal drop and improved comfort.

The only reason i can't get kW or h&r is the import tax over $1000..

Old 07-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #12

Pseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the world
Groans: 9
Groaned at 28 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sonic has their group buy for their coilovers right now. I've got a set and love them. Firmness can be adjusted and the springs aren't soft.

Cobb AP JBR SSP/SSB's
AWR PMM/RMM Autotech Internals
Sonic Tuning Coilovers ETS TMIC
HTP 3 Incher Forge V2 BPV
eBay Test Pipe

SCUBA TUNED
Pseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pseudonym For This Useful Post:
Raymond (07-25-2013)
 Old 07-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
Sonic has their group buy for their coilovers right now. I've got a set and love them. Firmness can be adjusted and the springs aren't soft.
Nah thanks mate, I'm after quality set up..

Old 07-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #14

Pseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the worldPseudonym is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I fuckin laf. I'd read a review or 2 or you're just as well off listening to your German bc nuthuggers.
gurusev likes this.

Cobb AP JBR SSP/SSB's
eBay Test Pipe

SCUBA TUNED
 Old 07-21-2013, 03:14 AM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I fuckin laf. I'd read a review or 2 or you're just as well off listening to your German bc nuthuggers.
LMAO... Obviously they had a group buy for bc coilovers and they saying good things about it. Who wouldn't?
Anyways, i don't care about struts or coilovers. All I'm after is quality set up under $1000

Old 07-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #16

Not Ranked  0 score     

Maybe try that search button?

Cobb AP JBR SSP/SSB's
eBay Test Pipe

SCUBA TUNED
 Old 07-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Maybe try that search button?
I have bud but unfortunately most of the recommended set ups are gen 1..

Old 07-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Not Ranked  0 score     

If you're looking at $1000 then go with the Koni fsd and your stock springs or Cobb springs for a mild drop.

www.stratifiedauto.com
gurusev (07-21-2013), Raymond (07-25-2013)
 Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #19

texasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the worldtexasboy21 is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 16 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Both shocks and springsscombinations and coilovers have their place, but in my experience its better to get a "matched" set of shocks/springs if you go that route. Companies like H&R and Vogtland have offerings.

2003 A4 1.8TQ
APR stg2+, MTM 420cc injectors, EuroCode FMIC, PSi testpipe, Techtonics Tuning downpipe, Forge TIP, Hyperboost DV, 240mm clutch, LWFW flywheel, B5S4 calipers, Goodridge SS lines, Stern snub, motor and transmission mounts, Powerflex rear diff bushing, 034MotorSports rear diff. carrier bushing inserts, JHM SS shifter, solid linkage, stabilizer bushing and weighted knob, Vogtland Jr. Cup Kit, B7 RS4 front and rear sway bars.
texasboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to texasboy21 For This Useful Post:
gurusev (07-21-2013), Raymond (07-25-2013)
 Old 07-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #20

Mazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nah thanks mate, I'm after quality set up..

You must not know what quality is then, don't bash a product until you have tried it. Oh and don't believe everything on the internet.

Sonic Tuning>BC
Mazdaspeed3KHP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazdaspeed3KHP For This Useful Post:
gurusev (07-22-2013)
 Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mazdaspeed3KHP View Post
You must not know what quality is then, don't bash a product until you have tried it. Oh and don't believe everything on the internet.

Sonic Tuning>BC
Have to agree with you mate. Majority of decent products do get bashed by people who never used them before..

How much drop am I looking at with koni fsd and eibach or weitec springs? Between 20-35mm? If that's the case I'll buy them..

Originally Posted by Lex View Post
If you're looking at $1000 then go with the Koni fsd and your stock springs or Cobb springs for a mild drop.

Originally Posted by texasboy21 View Post
Both shocks and springsscombinations and coilovers have their place, but in my experience its better to get a "matched" set of shocks/springs if you go that route. Companies like H&R and Vogtland have offerings.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #22

Kawiralph is just really niceKawiralph is just really niceKawiralph is just really niceKawiralph is just really niceKawiralph is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

After my bad experience with the B14 on my Gen1 I'm using Koni Yellows with Eibach springs and Powergrid endlinks of 12.8 inches length (+0,8 inch) on my Gen2 . Works really good and offers some adjustability (rebound damping) Drop is about 20mm or results to 34.5cm from the center of the hubcap to the fender front and back.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 2
Kawiralph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kawiralph For This Useful Post:
gurusev (07-22-2013), Raymond (07-25-2013)
 Old 07-22-2013, 04:39 AM   #23

helmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,188 Posts
Groans: 219
Groaned at 70 Times in 52 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Kawiralph View Post
After my bad experience with the B14 on my Gen1 I'm using Koni Yellows with Eibach springs and Powergrid endlinks of 12.8 inches length (+0,8 inch) on my Gen2 . Works really good and offers some adjustability (rebound damping) Drop is about 20mm or results to 34.5cm from the center of the hubcap to the fender front and back.

Why don't you elaborate on your bad experience?

Instead of a generalized claim.
 Old 07-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #24

Kawiralph is just really niceKawiralph is just really niceKawiralph is just really niceKawiralph is just really niceKawiralph is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

No problem
Bilstein has or had problems with their usd struts. The bushing supporting the piston rod wears out resulting in knocking noises. The noise gets worse with higher ambient temperatures. In my case the chrome plating of the piston rods also showed pitting. I finally received new struts on warranty but changed the gen1 for a gen2 short after, so I have no clue if Bilstein finally got the problems sorted out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kawiralph For This Useful Post:
gurusev (07-22-2013), Raymond (07-25-2013), SLOWHATCH (07-22-2013)
 Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Kawiralph View Post
No problem
Bilstein has or had problems with their usd struts. The bushing supporting the piston rod wears out resulting in knocking noises. The noise gets worse with higher ambient temperatures. In my case the chrome plating of the piston rods also showed pitting. I finally received new struts on warranty but changed the gen1 for a gen2 short after, so I have no clue if Bilstein finally got the problems sorted out.

Thanks mate, over at the german mps forums they were talking about the similar problem..

On the other hand, bc coilovers got a decent rep on the forums as well..

Old 07-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #26

soul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the world
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

B8 + swift spec-r = happy

CP-E RMM | JBR 3.5" WP | GTX3071R | JBR OCC + IM TIG | SU TMIC | Turbosmart Compact BPV | Autotech Internals | Cobb AP + TBE + EBCS | NGK 1 Step Colder | TWM Shifter | Hotchkis Sways | Bilstein Sports | Swift SPEC-Rs | SPC Camber Arms | Freektune
soul.survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks mate, over at the german mps forums they were talking about the similar problem..

On the other hand, bc coilovers got a decent rep on the forums as well..

Yes, I posted the same information at the german forum. Maybe Mituc will chime in, he also is a member of both forums and had similar problems with his B14 set on his Gen1.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N8010 mit Tapatalk 2
 Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #28

Design is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,029 Times in 622 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My suggestions, in order of comfort:
- OEM springs + Koni FSD
- OEM springs + Koni Yellow
- OEM springs + Bilstein
- COBB or Eibach + Koni Yellow
- Swift or H&R + Koni Yellow
- COBB or Eibach + Bilstein
- Swift or H&R + Bilstein
- Weitech Hicon TX Plus
- H&R Coilover
- Weitech Hicon GTN

I'm assuming your winters are fairly mild so Weitech shouldn't be a long term issue for you. But make sure they are valved specifically for the heavier weight of the MS3/MPS. Here in the states they are branded as ST and are only offered for the Base 3. They are plated steel vs. KW's inox SS shock/strut tubes. Internal components are similar, IIRC. GL.

Ownership & Build Thread

Last edited by Design; 07-26-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Design For This Useful Post:
Nliiitend1 (07-25-2013)
 Old 07-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #29

Nliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the worldNliiitend1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,629 Times in 3,120 Posts
Groans: 67
Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

OEM springs + Bilstein B8s should probably be somewhere along that spectrum (maybe somewhere between 2nd & 4th ) ^^ as well.

FWIW, I've seen claims that the Weitec internals are different from the KW setups (with regard to "component quality") but I certainly don't have any primary evidence to back such a claim up...

2008 MS3 GT
2016 MX-5 Club

Nliiitend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nliiitend1 For This Useful Post:
Design (07-25-2013)
 Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #30

Deldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,292 Times in 1,322 Posts
Groans: 118
Groaned at 44 Times in 34 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Mazdaspeed coilovers

/thread

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Deldran is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #31

breakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,246 Times in 1,481 Posts
Groans: 261
Groaned at 20 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Koni FSD here, love it.

breakfstincluded is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #32

Croxley611 has a reputation beyond reputeCroxley611 has a reputation beyond reputeCroxley611 has a reputation beyond reputeCroxley611 has a reputation beyond reputeCroxley611 has a reputation beyond reputeCroxley611 has a reputation beyond reputeCroxley611 has a reputation beyond reputeCroxley611 has a reputation beyond reputeCroxley611 has a reputation beyond reputeCroxley611 has a reputation beyond reputeCroxley611 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just installed Koni yellows with H&R springs, ride is much better then with stock struts and H&R springs. Steering feels tighter and I'm not afraid of every little bump in the road anymore

Tap tap taparoooo
Croxley611 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Croxley611 For This Useful Post:
Design (07-26-2013)
 Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #33

soul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the worldsoul.survivor is the leader of the world
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Nliiitend1 View Post
OEM springs + Bilstein B8s should probably be somewhere along that spectrum (maybe somewhere between 2nd & 4th ) ^^ as well.

FWIW, I've seen claims that the Weitec internals are different from the KW setups (with regard to "component quality") but I certainly don't have any primary evidence to back such a claim up...
I find swifts to be more comfortable most of the time with b8s. Stock springs suck with them and give you a 2" gap in the front. I wish I hadn't made that mistake.

CP-E RMM | JBR 3.5" WP | GTX3071R | JBR OCC + IM TIG | SU TMIC | Turbosmart Compact BPV | Autotech Internals | Cobb AP + TBE + EBCS | NGK 1 Step Colder | TWM Shifter | Hotchkis Sways | Bilstein Sports | Swift SPEC-Rs | SPC Camber Arms | Freektune
soul.survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #34

Design is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,029 Times in 622 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've driven FreeFlyFreak's Gen 1 on OEM springs with Bilsteins. Fantastic combo IMO. I edited my recommendation above and added them to third on the list.

Ownership & Build Thread
Design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Design For This Useful Post:
Nliiitend1 (07-26-2013)
 Old 07-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #35
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Not Ranked  0 score     

Fsd and cobb springs do work well. More comfort than cobb and yellows.

www.stratifiedauto.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
Design (07-26-2013), gurusev (07-30-2013), Nliiitend1 (07-26-2013)
 Old 07-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #36

chomorro is the leader of the worldchomorro is the leader of the worldchomorro is the leader of the worldchomorro is the leader of the worldchomorro is the leader of the worldchomorro is the leader of the worldchomorro is the leader of the worldchomorro is the leader of the worldchomorro is the leader of the worldchomorro is the leader of the worldchomorro is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a Gen 1 but my freshly rebuilt H&R Coils are NOT comfortable on bad streets (like LA freeways here). Its very bumpy but controlled. I dont mind it as a driver, but i do get complaints from passengers. Im running 225 tires though.

Im actually thinking about trading someone for a spring combo because i dont AutoX the car and the handling with these coils is insanely improved and being wasted on me......

EDIT: Let me clarify, the H&R Coils ride very smooth and comfortable on nice roads. Potholes and dips on freeways will make your drop or bump. Around here the streets are littered with dips and steep driveways. Some portions of the freeway are like rollercoasters going up and down very fast and steep (52 freeway by convoy st) most cars get all wild on these sections the coils are umpy but very controlled.

2007 GTI - Package 2 w/ Nav - Dieselgeek Short Shifter / TWM Weighted Etched Shift Knob / AWE 2.5" Turbo Back Exhaust w/Metal Cat / APR Stage 2+ Tune / APR Flapper Delete / APR HPFP / Vogtland 2" Springs / R8 Coils / NGK Iridium / P3Cars Digital Vent Gauge / 18" OEM Detroit Rims (SOLD)

2007 Speed 3 - Stratified Tuned with bolts ons (SOLD)

Last edited by chomorro; 07-31-2013 at 10:21 AM.
chomorro is offline   Reply With Quote