register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GohanX
  • 1 Post By TruckHer
  • 1 Post By MSMS3

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-04-2019, 07:07 AM   #1

Tru3 is on a distinguished road
Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default 2nd Gear Grind - is there a fix?!

When I go into 2nd it grinds but only when the car is cold. When the car is warmed up it’s perfect. I’ve read countless threads on this but never found a real “fix”.

I’ve tried changing transmissions fluids, as well as adjusting the shifter cable (I can try again?), I have solid shift bushings in as well.

Is there a fix for this, any input?? Sorry to beat a dead horse but I feel like there has to be a fix besides buying a new transmission...

2010 MS3 // CS Tip * CS Sri * CS Boost Tubes * CS MZR Bpv * CS Hpfp * Cp-e TMIC * COBB AP (Freektune OTS +)
Tru3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #2

08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world08mzr is the leader of the world
Groans: 11
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

You could rebuild the transmission instead of buying a new one.
JBR 80 duro RMM
Cobb AP v3
Autotech internals
CX Racing FMIC
SPC rear camber arms
Hawk HPS pads front and rear
FREEKTUNE OTS+
1998 Civic - SOLD
2011 Speed3 200k+ miles Stock -Daily
08mzr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-05-2019, 05:35 AM   #3

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 22
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If this is your only car: buy a trans, have it rebuilt, swap it out when ready. Sell old trans or, depending on your vehicle intentions, save it as a spare.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fcse.google.com%2Fcse%3Fcx%3 D007197676933930921148%3Apwlh1e31oxu%23gsc.tab%3D0
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #4

doublegmoto can only hope to improve
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
If this is your only car: buy a trans, have it rebuilt, swap it out when ready. Sell old trans or, depending on your vehicle intentions, save it as a spare.
Only one thing will give you a few more miles out of your transmission before you have to replace it. Everybody's correct, once a syncro goes nothing you can do but replace it. But you can drive the car as if you were driving it without a clutch. With perfect shifts at the right RPM range like a rev match. Alot of skilled drivers could do this. If you could do this, you'll be able to do it without grinding. But you're going to eventually have to replace the tranny or the synchros like everybody else is saying there is no quick fix to something that's worn.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
doublegmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

Mazda3Blog is a glorious beacon of lightMazda3Blog is a glorious beacon of lightMazda3Blog is a glorious beacon of lightMazda3Blog is a glorious beacon of lightMazda3Blog is a glorious beacon of lightMazda3Blog is a glorious beacon of light
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Tru3 View Post
When I go into 2nd it grinds but only when the car is cold. When the car is warmed up it’s perfect. I’ve read countless threads on this but never found a real “fix”.

I’ve tried changing transmissions fluids, as well as adjusting the shifter cable (I can try again?), I have solid shift bushings in as well.

Is there a fix for this, any input?? Sorry to beat a dead horse but I feel like there has to be a fix besides buying a new transmission...

2010 MS3 // CS Tip * CS Sri * CS Boost Tubes * CS MZR Bpv * CS Hpfp * Cp-e TMIC * COBB AP (Freektune OTS +)

Good news for you. I live in Canada and have a shit ton of experience driving/racing 2 Speeds through some really brutal winters here.

I really doubt that you need a new tranny. Our transmission, even when new, has a notchy/grindy second gear in cold weather.

If you're not popping out of second gear and it shifts normal when warm, you've got nothing to worry about.

The solution:

1. Use RedLine MTL transmission fluid.

This fluid is 75W80, often the second gen speed3 has 75w90 put in which makes cold crunches worse. This stuff is way better than the OEM or Ford fluid for cold weather. Also lets me shift faster in the warm.

2. Baby second gear for the first few cold shifts, first gear->neutral center->second gear

Instead of shifting directly from first to second, keep your foot on the clutch but pass the shifter into the center neutral area. Then go into second and it won't crunch. It's a trick that a lot of Speed owners use in the cold weather to avoid 2nd gear grinds.

There are some people who say the Ford fluid is better, but I've tried both and the RedLine MTL made a huge difference for my car in the cold. The canadian mazda3 forums also vouch for Redline over Ford fluid for cold weather.

I've also had second gear replaced under warranty a long time ago and it made no difference to second gear cold grinding.

Give it a shot and I bet you'll like the car a lot more in the cold.

Stratified tune, Accessport, Corksport HPFP, Corksport TMIC, Ultimate Racing test pipe, K&N intake, E-focus RMM, Corksport RSB, Corksport steering wheel + ebrake handle, solid shifter bushings, RE-71R tires

2007 Black Speed6 (daily driver)

Freektune, Accessport, Autotech HPFP, CPE TMIC, Ultimate Racing test pipe, Cobb intake + TIP, Corksport rear diff mount, CPE xflex RMM, Corksport rear brake pads, Matt Damond rear caliper bushings, solid shifter bushings, X-ice3 / AS3+ tires

Last edited by Mazda3Blog; 01-05-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Mazda3Blog is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #6

GohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

In addition to moving to neutral also double clutch the shift into second. That is, move the shifter to neutral, let out the clutch, push it back in, then shift into second, let it out. I've had to do that to my Speed 6 the first few shifts since it's been cold, and I used to have to do that in the old Miata too. I think it's just something when these Mazda transmissions, a lot of them have cold 2nd gear issues.
Mazda3Blog likes this.
GohanX is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #7

Mazda3Blog is a glorious beacon of lightMazda3Blog is a glorious beacon of lightMazda3Blog is a glorious beacon of lightMazda3Blog is a glorious beacon of lightMazda3Blog is a glorious beacon of lightMazda3Blog is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
In addition to moving to neutral also double clutch the shift into second. That is, move the shifter to neutral, let out the clutch, push it back in, then shift into second, let it out. I've had to do that to my Speed 6 the first few shifts since it's been cold, and I used to have to do that in the old Miata too. I think it's just something when these Mazda transmissions, a lot of them have cold 2nd gear issues.
Agreed, that's the next level move if he's still grinding. That works in almost any car with synchro issues. I luckily don't have to double clutch once I switched to Redline MTL.

I put in Redline MT-90 in the Speed6 and it made a huge difference for cold and warm shifts. My 6 is easier to shift in the cold and the transmission warms up faster than the 3. Cars both have around 130,000 miles.

Stratified tune, Accessport, Corksport HPFP, Corksport TMIC, Ultimate Racing test pipe, K&N intake, E-focus RMM, Corksport RSB, Corksport steering wheel + ebrake handle, solid shifter bushings, RE-71R tires

Freektune, Accessport, Autotech HPFP, CPE TMIC, Ultimate Racing test pipe, Cobb intake + TIP, Corksport rear diff mount, CPE xflex RMM, Corksport rear brake pads, Matt Damond rear caliper bushings, solid shifter bushings, X-ice3 / AS3+ tires
 Old 01-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #8

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've always thought double clutching was silly. Okay. I still think it's silly.

You don't need the clutch at all to disengage a gear if the trans isn't loaded.

As you let off the throttle, foot OFF the clutch, pull it out of first gear. This leaves the input side already meshed with the engine which is what your doing when you let out of the clutch the first time during double clutching.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fcse.google.com%2Fcse%3Fcx%3 D007197676933930921148%3Apwlh1e31oxu%23gsc.tab%3D0
 Old 01-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #9

GohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mazda3Blog View Post

I put in Redline MT-90 in the Speed6 and it made a huge difference for cold and warm shifts. My 6 is easier to shift in the cold and the transmission warms up faster than the 3. Cars both have around 130,000 miles.
I just put some of the Ford unicorn jizz in mine this afternoon, we'll see how it does when it gets cold again. Also noticed my cv boot was ripped... Dammit.
 Old 01-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
I just put some of the Ford unicorn jizz in mine this afternoon, we'll see how it does when it gets cold again. Also noticed my cv boot was ripped... Dammit.
Give the fluid a week of driving to break in, all the fluids I tried definitely got better after some driving. If you're still not happy with the cold shifts, try the redline MTL because it almost solved the crunches completely for me.

You can get cheap reman axles from RockAuto that work on the speed, I had an axle with a torn boot re-built for about $150 including labour a few years ago.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

It still hasn't got really cold here yet but I haven't had any 2nd gear grinding yet! And yeah I ordered an axle from Rockauto, just got here today.
 Old 01-11-2019, 08:27 AM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

It was 24 degrees this morning, the shifter went right into 2nd, no grind at all. Very nice.
 Old 01-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

I use Royal Purple. Was in the 20's this morning and always shifts fine.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
 Old 01-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #14

TruckHer is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default MTL

I live in Canada too and have used MTL. It worked great making every other gear shift as smooth as butter, winter or summer weather. Never got rid of my second gear grind if I shift relatively fast though. Mine was a different case though in that I tended to grind more when shifting from first to second when it got warmer. Never resolved it, just granny shifted into second or double clutched.
Tru3 likes this.
TruckHer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #15

Tru3 is on a distinguished road
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Anyone in here have a short throw shifter? Does having this make the grind issue worse? Or still the same, waiting for the car to warm up?

I’m gonna assume there’s no change, just waiting for the car to warm up as usual

Tru3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #16

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,831 Times in 984 Posts
Groans: 140
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Anyone in here have a short throw shifter? Does having this make the grind issue worse? Or still the same, waiting for the car to warm up?

I’m gonna assume there’s no change, just waiting for the car to warm up as usual

Its probably just a worn synchro. Common on older, higher mileage manual transmissions, and more likely when cold. Just double clutch or let it rest in neutral between the 1-2 shift until it warms up. No need to replace the transmission or try to repair it. Race cars with straight cut gears have no synchros at all.
leifmadsen likes this.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10 years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSMS3 For This Useful Post:
leifmadsen (01-20-2019)
 Old 01-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #17

doublegmoto can only hope to improve
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This is correct I have a 2012 70000 miles with just regular old mobile one Synthetic 7090 or something like that there is no grinding cold warm medium so if you want to get it fixed get it fixed if not do what the person before said and double clutch or even rev-match I can shift not that I'm bragging but I can shift with no clutch so anyway good luck with that.

Originally Posted by doublegmoto View Post
This is correct I have a 2012 70000 miles with just regular old mobile one Synthetic 7090 or something like that there is no grinding cold warm medium so if you want to get it fixed get it fixed if not do what the person before said and double clutch or even rev-match I can shift not that I'm bragging but I can shift with no clutch so anyway good luck with that.

P S I drive the car hard as hell

PS I drive the car as hard as hell

Last edited by doublegmoto; 01-18-2019 at 09:14 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
doublegmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #18

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ford syntec fluid helped (never tried redline)
But shifting very fast from first to second in a Mazda remain a problem. I own and owned few models and engaging second gear was never as good as we would like...(Even warm)

Anyway, you should not beat up a cold car so take 1 more second in neutral it may cost less than a new trans.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #19

leifmadsen has a spectacular aura aboutleifmadsen has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
Ford syntec fluid helped (never tried redline)
But shifting very fast from first to second in a Mazda remain a problem. I own and owned few models and engaging second gear was never as good as we would like...(Even warm)

Anyway, you should not beat up a cold car so take 1 more second in neutral it may cost less than a new trans.
This and the other post are pretty much bang on. Just slow your shifting down. If you hold the shifter against the engagement point with only a little pressure it'll eventually fall into place. Just gotta let the sync catch up and it'll go in easy.

Matching the rpm with heel-toe will help a lot as well but ultimately you just gotta be patient to let everything sync up.
leifmadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #20
pqx

pqx is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is there a fix for this, any input??
Which fluid did you use? I had the same problem in any weather, and it went away almost completely after I replaced the fluid with "Red Line 50205 MTL 75W80 GL-4 Gear Oil". By "almost completely" I mean it's still there when cold, but it's now very very minimal, and goes away once warmed up.
pqx is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-21-2019, 05:53 PM   #21

leifmadsen has a spectacular aura aboutleifmadsen has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

I used Redline first then Ford XT-M5-QS. I like the Ford better but Redline helped over stock at 130k km.

Cold sucks. Warm much easier. Still an issue with too fast and/or mismatched rev vs shaft speed.

As far as I can tell normal for this transmission in 2nd gear.
leifmadsen is offline   Reply With Quote