register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree3Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #1

jellowood is a name known to alljellowood is a name known to alljellowood is a name known to alljellowood is a name known to alljellowood is a name known to alljellowood is a name known to all
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     
Default 2nd gear pop out and grind

Few months ago my 2nd gear started popping out when decelerating and about every 1-6 times it'd grind when downshifting into 2nd. Started happening around 19,500 and took it in today to dealer. The mechanic called the Mazda rep and he told him to take trans apart and take pics. The mechanic mentioned that he read on the "Tech line" there was numerous entries for issues with Speed 3 with bushings and fork issues. They made it sound like it would be covered. When i first called it a few days ago though I got the lecture that they've never heard of this and they'd have to check to see if its covered. Love how right off the bat they make you feel like its all your fault. Anyway to be continued on Monday when i drop it off.
 Old 03-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #2

MSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the worldMSFer87 is the leader of the world
Groans: 83
Groaned at 55 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Shits under warranty.........real simple you go to a mod friendly dealer (if there are any in your area if not INB4 demod), they give you a rental, they fix it. Done and done.
-#1 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 GT Black Mica - BBS RX in Dark Gray, KW V2s, SPC Camber Arms, Cobb AccessPORT w/ JBR mount, Full-Race Prostock Mani, TurboXS FMIC, Grimmspeed EBC, ACT 6 puck & flywheel, TWM STS, PTP Internals, Cobb SRI w/ TIP, Cobb Shift Weight, TurboXS BPV, TurboXS Full TBE, JBR Trilogy, JBR RSB, Cobb FSB...........needs bigger turbo

-1970 Chevelle - Needs full resto
MSFer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSFer87 For This Useful Post:
jellowood (03-16-2012)
 Old 03-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Thanked 57,009 Times in 14,590 Posts
Groans: 856
Groaned at 183 Times in 156 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Stock out EVERYTHING.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raider For This Useful Post:
bertrand_CX_7 (05-07-2012), eb2292 (09-18-2012), kabobulate (03-16-2012)
 Old 03-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #4

Mortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the worldMortose is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,105 Posts
Groans: 39
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

TRex - "i dont care if it is a soccer mom in a mini van, if that whore launches on me im going at it like im racing a supra....just so i can bask in the sweet sweet tears of their defeat"
Mortose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mortose For This Useful Post:
ASHMS3 (05-20-2012), Dralphy (10-06-2012), eb2292 (09-18-2012), emag remrofni (04-10-2012), mr_mazda329 (05-07-2012), MSFer87 (04-08-2012), radioflyer (05-21-2012), Raider (03-16-2012)
 Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Thanked 57,009 Times in 14,590 Posts
Groans: 856
Groaned at 183 Times in 156 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Bravo.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #6

manila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the worldmanila is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,191 Times in 612 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 30 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I got a problem with 3rd gear grinding when going from 2-3. It started this week and happened again tonight. The car only has 4500mi. And I basically granny shift the car since I bought it in Nov. It's the second time it happened. All within a week period.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

COBB AP V3 >> AUTOTECH HPFP >> HTP 3.5" >> ATP DP (catless) >> AXLEBACK (no mufflers) >> COBB PIPING/TR6 CORE >>

JBR RMM >> SSP/BUSHINGS >> RSB >> STG. 2 OCC >>

HYPNOTIC TUNED: tehmadscientist & senor finkle

manila is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #7

jellowood is a name known to alljellowood is a name known to alljellowood is a name known to alljellowood is a name known to alljellowood is a name known to alljellowood is a name known to all
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dropped my car off Monday the 19th and picked it up Friday the 23rd. Installed new trans under warranty. This trans fills a little different like I can feel the gears inside. Don't remember it being that way before. I'm going to give it some time and see if there's some kind a break in. I'm hoping they used enough trans fluid! lol
The Following User Says Thank You to jellowood For This Useful Post:
SLOWHATCH (03-31-2012)
 Old 03-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #8

outshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the world
Groans: 11
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jellowood View Post
Dropped my car off Monday the 19th and picked it up Friday the 23rd. Installed new trans under warranty. This trans fills a little different like I can feel the gears inside. Don't remember it being that way before. I'm going to give it some time and see if there's some kind a break in. I'm hoping they used enough trans fluid! lol
Thanks for posting with the outcome. Can you describe the difference you're feeling a little better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 Old 03-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well it actually seems a little tougher to shift the gears. Sometimes it almost feels like its going to stick and not pull out especially in reverse or first.
 Old 03-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #10

gearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the worldgearhead750 is the leader of the world
Groans: 30
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Maybe you put the drippy lubez on my axehole?

Originally Posted by DarkHeartMS6 View Post
I didnt think there was a person on this planet as stupid as you... Congratulations, you proved me wrong. WTF is a Mazda RX-7 if not one of the best "tuner" cars as you put it.. out there. Jump off the honda dick, pull the Golf R cock out of your mouth... replace it with a gun and end this world of your stupidity! Please, before you cause a retard apocolyptic end to our world

gearhead750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gearhead750 For This Useful Post:
GunGuru727 (06-19-2012)
 Old 03-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #11

bigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,083 Times in 494 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Fomoco fluid and driver mod (stop beating on it lol). Done.

Last edited by bigriver; 03-31-2012 at 08:36 PM.
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #12

akbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 5
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got the same problem, Mazda denied my coverage for repair.
It got so bad that 2nd gear pops out every time I let off the gas when I'm in 2nd.

I got use to driving it now, waiting to save up for a tranny repair. It been like this for a year now, roughly 10k miles.
Since the tranny will come down maybe look into some upgrades.
MODS: BNR STAGE 3 Turbo - CP-E Turbo Inlet - CP-E Cold Air Intake - Forge BPV - Street Unit Silicone Inlet & Outlet Hoses - UR Catted Down Pipe - UR Test Pipe - ETS Top Mount Intercooler - COBB AP (WOT-Tune) - KMD Internals - Grimmspeed EBC - HAWK HPS Front Pads - JB dog bone rear mount - NGK (1 step colder plugs) - DDM HID (Headlights & Fogs)

Last edited by akbrazil; 03-31-2012 at 08:27 PM.
akbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #13

Silver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the world
Groans: 24
Groaned at 81 Times in 33 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Jeff, sorry to hear you had such trouble. Did you go to Ralph Thayer or Suburban?
2011 LSM Mazdaspeed 3 Sport w/tech pkg - sold
Silver Ecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #14

outshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the worldoutshined is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jellowood View Post
Well it actually seems a little tougher to shift the gears. Sometimes it almost feels like its going to stick and not pull out especially in reverse or first.
Give it a while to break in. If it still feels a little rough, you may want to consider learning how to adjust the shifter mechanism (or going back to the dealer if you trust them to do it).
The Following User Says Thank You to outshined For This Useful Post:
SLOWHATCH (03-31-2012)
 Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #15

jl449 is a glorious beacon of lightjl449 is a glorious beacon of lightjl449 is a glorious beacon of lightjl449 is a glorious beacon of lightjl449 is a glorious beacon of lightjl449 is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had a similar issue -- 2nd gear popping out every now and then and a few grinds here and there. Took it to the dealer right before the warranty was going to expire... They didn't find anything and could not get the 2nd gear to pop out. Now I have 80k and 2nd gear pops all the time. I change to fomoco fluid and it help a bit. I'll live with it until it fall out completely!
jl449 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #16

akbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond reputeakbrazil has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jl449 View Post
I had a similar issue -- 2nd gear popping out every now and then and a few grinds here and there. Took it to the dealer right before the warranty was going to expire... They didn't find anything and could not get the 2nd gear to pop out. Now I have 80k and 2nd gear pops all the time. I change to fomoco fluid and it help a bit. I'll live with it until it fall out completely!
Have the same problem...as noted on a thread above.
Except that my dealer (where I puchased the car) will not fix saying that I have messed with the car by modding it - they even took photos of screws that were not lined up correctly and my worn out front tire, black carbon on the tail pipes..etc. (note, before I went to the dealer I stock it back to original) They claim that the screws had painted lines and they were not lined up correctly)
I know its NUTS...Im going to try to fight it but if the repair is cheaper to fix outside the dealer then having to pay for legal solution -I may just wait it out unit it completely breaks.
MODS: BNR STAGE 3 Turbo - CP-E Turbo Inlet - CP-E Cold Air Intake - Forge BPV - Street Unit Silicone Inlet & Outlet Hoses - UR Catted Down Pipe - UR Test Pipe - ETS Top Mount Intercooler - COBB AP (WOT-Tune) - KMD Internals - Grimmspeed EBC - HAWK HPS Front Pads - JB dog bone rear mount - NGK (1 step colder plugs) - DDM HID (Headlights & Fogs)
akbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #17

ArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sounds like this is becoming a common issue. Mines has been doing this since 3k miles. But I just shrugged it off because it wasn't too bad. Now I'm at 12k miles, and today I guess 2nd gear has called it quits. It won't engage at all. The shifter goes into the 2nd gear position, but once I let the clutch out it just grinds. I even tried starting in 2nd to see if it would catch, and still did it. So now I have to stock out completely which is going to be a bitch.

2009 Chevy TBSS AWD 3SS
"Full Exhaust, Intake, Tune" (MAN VAN)

1997 Lexus SC300 Black/Black
"2JZGTE, BW S366 @15psi" (SOLD)

2011 MS3 CBM
"Fully Bolted" (Parted Out and Sold)
ArcticSpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by akbrazil View Post
Have the same problem...as noted on a thread above.
Except that my dealer (where I puchased the car) will not fix saying that I have messed with the car by modding it - they even took photos of screws that were not lined up correctly and my worn out front tire, black carbon on the tail pipes..etc. (note, before I went to the dealer I stock it back to original) They claim that the screws had painted lines and they were not lined up correctly)
I know its NUTS...Im going to try to fight it but if the repair is cheaper to fix outside the dealer then having to pay for legal solution -I may just wait it out unit it completely breaks.
Jesus Christ did the Service Manager catch you porking his daughter??

There's a few hundred 2010+ Speeds on this site, many of which are stock or near-stock with sooty tailpipes and prematurely worn front tires. Both are common issues on un-modded cars. You need to find a new dealer service department and/or invoke protection under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to outshined For This Useful Post:
CWP_MS3 (05-22-2012), eb2292 (09-18-2012), emag remrofni (04-10-2012)
 Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #19

ArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the worldArcticSpeed3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dropped my GenPu off at the dealership this morning. Now just waiting on a phone call. Sucks that they wouldn't give me a loaner vehicle all because I'm 23. Apparently my clean 7 year old driving record wasn't good enough to pursaude them. I hope they get me a new trans vs just trying to rebuild it.

2009 Chevy TBSS AWD 3SS

2011 MS3 CBM
 Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #20

Joshspeed will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ArcticSpeed3 View Post
Dropped my GenPu off at the dealership this morning. Now just waiting on a phone call. Sucks that they wouldn't give me a loaner vehicle all because I'm 23. Apparently my clean 7 year old driving record wasn't good enough to pursaude them. I hope they get me a new trans vs just trying to rebuild it.
I literaly just got my car back from the dealership for the same thing. My second and thrid gear fork, gears, and synchros were bad. I am 22 and they gave me a loaner. They didnt at first untill i threw a fit. The clerk then went to a manager or something and got a form basically stating that you are responsible for the loaner. basically just added liablility on you i guess. Dont take crap from them. they have to power to give you a loaner so make them. Anyway I just got my car back and everything was torn apart and the bad stuff was replaced and now my trans is perfect. Better than when i bought it. feels great.
Joshspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Joshspeed View Post
I literaly just got my car back from the dealership for the same thing. My second and thrid gear fork, gears, and synchros were bad. I am 22 and they gave me a loaner. They didnt at first untill i threw a fit. The clerk then went to a manager or something and got a form basically stating that you are responsible for the loaner. basically just added liablility on you i guess. Dont take crap from them. they have to power to give you a loaner so make them. Anyway I just got my car back and everything was torn apart and the bad stuff was replaced and now my trans is perfect. Better than when i bought it. feels great.
I got mines back today. Took only 1 week. They got a brand new trans from the factory. But said it needs to be broken in, so baby it for 1500 miles. So imma just baby it for awhile and then put all my parts back on, I got really lucky. I gave up on the loaner car deal since I was out of state from last Saturday to this upcoming Monday.

2009 Chevy TBSS AWD 3SS

2011 MS3 CBM
 Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #22

Joshspeed will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

I got mines back today. Took only 1 week. They got a brand new trans from the factory. But said it needs to be broken in, so baby it for 1500 miles. So imma just baby it for awhile and then put all my parts back on, I got really lucky. I gave up on the loaner car deal since I was out of state from last Saturday to this upcoming Monday.
wow you were lucky for it only being one week. as well as getting a new trans. they initially told me that they dont rebuild or take apart trans. and engines and that i would get a new one. but they tech told me that mazda told him to take it apart and rebuild it. and yeah im still going to take it easy one mine for a while with all new 2nd/3rd gears, synchros, and forks. good luck and if you ever go back for anything make sure you get a loaner lol.
Joshspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Joshspeed View Post
wow you were lucky for it only being one week. as well as getting a new trans. they initially told me that they dont rebuild or take apart trans. and engines and that i would get a new one. but they tech told me that mazda told him to take it apart and rebuild it. and yeah im still going to take it easy one mine for a while with all new 2nd/3rd gears, synchros, and forks. good luck and if you ever go back for anything make sure you get a loaner lol.
Hmm yeah I got real lucky. The tech that worked on mines was a previous fully bolted MS6 owner. So he hooked me up. They had a brand new trans in 3 days. Imma stay stock for a lil while then re bolt everything as well as order up the rest of JBR's Sidemounts and UR catback.

2009 Chevy TBSS AWD 3SS

2011 MS3 CBM
 Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

I made a discovery! My trans wasn't replaced with a brand new one, all they did was replace all the broken parts. So pretty much the Service department lied to me about getting a brand new trans in from Mazda.

2009 Chevy TBSS AWD 3SS

2011 MS3 CBM
 Old 05-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #25

MS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 26 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had a similar issue at 10k miles (last year) with 2nd gear popping out of gear when downshifting. Took it in and they cracked the case, found a bunch of messed up parts. Service manager gave me this talk that Mazda was probably going to want to talk to me about "driving it too hard", but that never happened. Got a brand new trans installed. Recently (feb) I installed a FBR SSP and after a couple months, realized it was grinding into sencond and would occasionally pop out of gear like it did before.

So now I'm like, fuck! I called and made an appt with the dealer and demoded prior to brining it in (less SRI/TIP). I noticed right away that the issue was completely gone (ssp uninstalled). I decided to take it in to have them check it out anyway, but since I'm beyond my adjustment warranty, she said if it's nothing or an adjustment I would be charged - so I told her that I would just monitor it for the time being.

That was a week ago and I haven't re-modded yet, but I have TRIED to get it to pop out of gear by downshifting at all different speeds while braking, giving gas - everything. One time it popped out of gear...but I didn't have it fully engaged so that doesn't count.

I'm going to wait on the SSP for now and re-install after I get JBR RMM and TMM plus a good trans fluid. After install, I'm going to fine tune the shift linkage so that I know if fully engages every time.

I really don't want to deal with getting yet another transmission.
2010 Black Mazdaspeed3 | DDM 6K HID lows and 3K fogs | 15% Tint | CP-E Tow plate | Corksport SRI + TIP | Corksport race pipe | Corksport RMM inserts | JBR SSP | JBR shift knob | Progress RSB | H&R springs | Enkei MM2 18x7.5 +38 | Katzkins full leather interior (done by me)
MS_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MS_Driver For This Useful Post:
CWP_MS3 (05-22-2012), Miltron (05-20-2012)
 Old 05-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #26
Banned

Miltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the world
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     
Cool Same issue here @ 11k miles

Just had to take my 12' MS3 into the dealership, the gear kept popping out of second while downshifting/decelerating. I notice 2nd gear grinding trying to get into 2nd gear from quick starts at first - that problem seemed like it went away. But then after coming back home after a fun run down the blue ridge mountains (North Carolina) it started popping out of gear only in second gear.

Took it to the dealership yesterday, and they are going to rip everything apart and document it. Seems like this is happening enough that Mazda knows about it, maybe they might do a recall sooner or later.

My car is stock.

Last edited by Miltron; 05-20-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling
Miltron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miltron For This Useful Post:
CWP_MS3 (05-22-2012)
 Old 05-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #27

ASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,123 Times in 604 Posts
Groans: 126
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

They aren't going to recall shit. They MIGHT draw up a TSB which might stop 20 questions about why your tranny has decided to fuck its own couch. But, I doubt a recall for a problem that is so random.

'09 Red MS3 - AP self tuned, CS HPFP, JBR 3.5 WP, CP-e S2 RMM, M2 Catless DP, CX FMIC, CNT CBE
ASHMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASHMS3 For This Useful Post:
Miltron (05-20-2012)
 Old 05-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #28
Banned

Miltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the worldMiltron is the leader of the world
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I guess wishful thinking for mazda to engineer a fix - I find it hard to believe that only us on the forums are having this issue (almost exact same), just think of the possible non-reported instances of this problem.
Miltron is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #29

ASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the worldASHMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,123 Times in 604 Posts
Groans: 126
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Have you seen Fight Club? That scenario plays vividly in my head for possible recalls. "Will a recall help my bottom line?" // "NO" // Fuck that, those assholes in the legal dpt will figure it out.

'09 Red MS3 - AP self tuned, CS HPFP, JBR 3.5 WP, CP-e S2 RMM, M2 Catless DP, CX FMIC, CNT CBE
ASHMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #30

England15j is the leader of the worldEngland15j is the leader of the worldEngland15j is the leader of the worldEngland15j is the leader of the worldEngland15j is the leader of the worldEngland15j is the leader of the worldEngland15j is the leader of the worldEngland15j is the leader of the worldEngland15j is the leader of the worldEngland15j is the leader of the worldEngland15j is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,999 Times in 698 Posts
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

got the same issue with mine i have 20k miles on it 2nd gear pops out on decel/downshift stocked it out and waiting on word back form the dealership on the repairs wish me luck
England15j is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #31

Jest3r has a spectacular aura aboutJest3r has a spectacular aura about
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wonder how much of it is a trans issue, and how much is driver issues.

More I read, the more it makes me look at other cars.
Jest3r is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #32

MS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond reputeMS_Driver has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 26 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jest3r View Post
I wonder how much of it is a trans issue, and how much is driver issues.

More I read, the more it makes me look at other cars.
Judging from how many have posted here stock + modded and all different drive styles with the exact same issue - I'm thinking this is a car issue.

I'm on my replacement tranny and I think it may be having the issue again. It was replaced at 10k - have 22k on it now.

Pisses me off.
2010 Black Mazdaspeed3 | DDM 6K HID lows and 3K fogs | 15% Tint | CP-E Tow plate | Corksport SRI + TIP | Corksport race pipe | Corksport RMM inserts | JBR SSP | JBR shift knob | Progress RSB | H&R springs | Enkei MM2 18x7.5 +38 | Katzkins full leather interior (done by me)
MS_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MS_Driver For This Useful Post:
Miltron (05-23-2012)
 Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MS_Driver View Post
Judging from how many have posted here stock + modded and all different drive styles with the exact same issue - I'm thinking this is a car issue.

I'm on my replacement tranny and I think it may be having the issue again. It was replaced at 10k - have 22k on it now.

Pisses me off.
They replaced your tranny or they rebuilt it?

2009 Chevy TBSS AWD 3SS

2011 MS3 CBM
 Old 05-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #34

Payne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,173 Times in 2,034 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 64 Times in 49 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sounds like this is becoming a common issue. Mines has been doing this since 3k miles. But I just shrugged it off because it wasn't too bad. Now I'm at 12k miles, and today I guess 2nd gear has called it quits. It won't engage at all. The shifter goes into the 2nd gear position, but once I let the clutch out it just grinds. I even tried starting in 2nd to see if it would catch, and still did it. So now I have to stock out completely which is going to be a bitch.
That's what happened to me. I brought it in and they replaced the trans. It literally happened in a day. Out of nowhere 2nd started being tricky to get in. By the end of the day it wouldnt go in at all -__-

Originally Posted by MS_Driver View Post

Pisses me off.
Same thing with me...replaced trans, now 12k later the new trans is doing it, but 5th gear. Gonna try the fomoco fluid swap first.
Badsnake 2003 Cobra: Ported Eaton, 2.93 upper, 4lb lower, Steeda intake, fuel system, LF Heat Excg, MGW Shifter, MM Coilovers, Billet Flow IRS Brace, Magnaflow O/R X Pipe/CBE, Fiore Clutch Quadrant/Adjuster, MT ET Street Radials 515rwhp/525rwtq.

#HAR Hidden Agendas Racing

Last edited by Payne Racing 67; 05-21-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Payne Racing 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #35

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Payne Racing 67 View Post
That's what happened to me. I brought it in and they replaced the trans. It literally happened in a day. Out of nowhere 2nd started being tricky to get in. By the end of the day it wouldnt go in at all -__-

Same thing with me...replaced trans, now 12k later the new trans is doing it, but 5th gear. Gonna try the fomoco fluid swap first.
Wow...that sucks.

2009 Chevy TBSS AWD 3SS

2011 MS3 CBM
 Old 05-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #36

Payne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the worldPayne Racing 67 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow...that sucks.
And I'm completely fully bolted so there's no way in fuck I'm stocking out. I'll get them with the Magnus Moss act...mods dont just cause a trans gear to go bad.
Badsnake 2003 Cobra: Ported Eaton, 2.93 upper, 4lb lower, Steeda intake, fuel system, LF Heat Excg, MGW Shifter, MM Coilovers, Billet Flow IRS Brace, Magnaflow O/R X Pipe/CBE, Fiore Clutch Quadrant/Adjuster, MT ET Street Radials 515rwhp/525rwtq.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

I was completely bolted and stocked it all out when I took mines in. I just didn't want any type of resistance from my dealership.

2009 Chevy TBSS AWD 3SS

2011 MS3 CBM
 Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #38

ALIEN3T has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN3T has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN3T has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN3T has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN3T has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN3T has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN3T has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN3T has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN3T has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN3T has a reputation beyond reputeALIEN3T has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Can fight the Magnus Moss act, BUt its not for high performace bolt ons or mods, Magnus Moss was set out for back int he day dealerships would void warranty if you went to Pep Boys and got an airfilter, or light bulb. It kept people from having to go to the dealer for work. So aftermarket was replacement parts not sold by the dealer.
ALIEN3T is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #39

Not Ranked  0 score     

It could probably work in the case of the transmission though. You can prove the parts blew the motor. But the transmission? The clutch could have a fault. The synchro could have a fault from the factory, which seems to be the case with our cars. Normal wear parts can be in the fluids and causea gear problem. Etc.

Sent from RACEPHONE

Old 05-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #40

Racingstang93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

I been considering a 12 speed3 for my new daily driver and if this is a common problem with all gen2 speeds I'll stick with my civic. Are you guys not breaking the engine and trans in properly? I watched a vid on YouTube the other day of a 12 speed with 1k miles vs wrx and he was in the loud pedle so I'm sure he isn't the only one who couldn't resist
Racingstang93 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f427/2nd-gear-pop-out-grind-108186/
Posted By For Type Date
2nd gear pop out and grind - Mazdaspeed Forums This thread Refback 03-17-2012 11:04 AM
2nd gear pop out and grind - Mazdaspeed Forums This thread Refback 03-16-2012 05:51 PM