register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #1

Raysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 16
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default 3rd gear grind

I am trying to space out my mods so my wife will not notice how much I am going to spend on my car. So I am getting the RMM and then the JB SSP.

My question is this. I keep grinding 3rd gear when I am really getting on the car. It seems like it's in ( thats what she said ) and then when I release the clutch and hit it...grrrrrrch. Will the SSP alleviate the 3rd gear grind? I have heard other people talk about the 2nd to 3rd transition as a PITA.

I just read the other post in here about the SSP after installation. I am still confused though. Are you saying that fine tuning the adjustments per the video will help with the 3rd gear problem.
 Old 05-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #2

HLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,967 Times in 579 Posts
Groans: 109
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

it's suppose to, it helped me a lot. Except ladt weekend i missed 3rd badly for the first time... idk, i think i messed up but o well... ssp is well worth it
 Old 05-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
CCC

CCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the worldCCC is the leader of the world
Groans: 214
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one that this happens to. I guess I'll try the SSP

2010 Speed 3 - Sold
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #4

kabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,027 Times in 390 Posts
Groans: 22
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Happens to me too. I just push it in a little harder than the other gears now.
2012 CWP MS3: Tuned by Phate - 50/50 E85 | Cobb AP | SURE Intake, TIP | Corksport Racepipe, TMM Inserts | ITV22's | AT Intl's | ACT Sprung 6Puck & Prolite Flywheel | CP-E Stg2 RMM | JBR SSB, EGR Plate
2008 Silver MS3: Sold
kabobulate is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #5

reddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,336 Times in 146 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

shifter bushings are a cheap improvement for 3rd gear too. try shifting to 3rd with an open palm motion rather than holding the knob. it lets the tranny slide into place were it wants to be rather than you forcing it to go where you think it should be.
 Old 05-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #6

Raysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by reddeerspeed3 View Post
shifter bushings are a cheap improvement for 3rd gear too. try shifting to 3rd with an open palm motion rather than holding the knob. it lets the tranny slide into place were it wants to be rather than you forcing it to go where you think it should be.

Yeah...I'll have to try the bushings too. I do use an open hand for 3rd. Sounds like we shift alike.

Sometims I can do a nice quick shift into 3rd, but 50% of the time......grrrrrch!
 Old 05-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #7

16-driver is the leader of the world16-driver is the leader of the world16-driver is the leader of the world16-driver is the leader of the world16-driver is the leader of the world16-driver is the leader of the world16-driver is the leader of the world16-driver is the leader of the world16-driver is the leader of the world16-driver is the leader of the world16-driver is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

SSP will not help the 3rd gear grind, but the bushings will. I had JBarone SSP for about two months, and I had to take it off... Even with fine tuning, it didn't help. I actually thought it made it worse. This is all opinion from experience, btw. Others might think different.

I'm actually thinking of selling it for cheap, but i want to keep the shifter weight, so I'm thinking of just giving it away less the shipping.

Driver mod: Asian quickness!
16-driver is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #8

HLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,967 Times in 579 Posts
Groans: 109
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i open palm shift, bushings, ssp, e4 knob... still happens to me
 Old 05-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #9

emmons85 has much to be proud ofemmons85 has much to be proud ofemmons85 has much to be proud ofemmons85 has much to be proud ofemmons85 has much to be proud ofemmons85 has much to be proud ofemmons85 has much to be proud ofemmons85 has much to be proud ofemmons85 has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yup... 3rd gear grind problem o my car as well. Actually since the day I got it. The open palm thing does work havnt ground 3rd in a while.
emmons85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emmons85 For This Useful Post:
jl449 (05-07-2010)
 Old 05-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

MS3 3rd gear = FAIL

Thanks for the feedback.
 Old 05-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #11

dizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the worlddizzin9 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,331 Times in 525 Posts
Groans: 77
Groaned at 39 Times in 27 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

3rd gear? never really had a problem with it. 2nd gear - now that's a pain.

2012 FORD MUSTANG GT >>> 400A Premium _ Performance White _ 6MT _ 3.73 _ HID & Security Pkg

Koni Yellows _ Whiteline FSB & RSB _ FRPP K-Springs w/ Bump Stops, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, GT500 Strut Mounts, GT500 RCA, GT500-style AB
J&M PHB _ Eibach Camber Bolts _ Avant Garde M510 Satin Silver 19x9.5 40ET _ Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 275/40/19

dizzin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #12

2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world2010Speed3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 16-driver View Post
SSP will not help the 3rd gear grind, but the bushings will. I had JBarone SSP for about two months, and I had to take it off... Even with fine tuning, it didn't help. I actually thought it made it worse. This is all opinion from experience, btw. Others might think different.

I'm actually thinking of selling it for cheap, but i want to keep the shifter weight, so I'm thinking of just giving it away less the shipping.
Let me know if you are going to sell it. I'm thinking I may not like it, so I'd rather not buy a new one... What color is yours?
2010Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #13

snailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,275 Times in 1,282 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 25 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

the rear motor mount helps with shifting! im suprised no one has said this yet. i had the ssp and it made shifting better because of the throws but it didnt get rid of the sloppy feeling. i put in a cp-e rmm 75duro and its like night and day. sure you can still miss and grind third, but you have to almost try to do it now or just not pay attention. that's what i would suggest.
[443/409]SAE CORRECTED -------------245 DZ102 / 245 NT01
snailD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snailD For This Useful Post:
Raysfan (05-09-2010)
 Old 05-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
Banned

ms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,218 Times in 760 Posts
Groans: 974
Groaned at 738 Times in 373 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dizzin9 View Post
3rd gear? never really had a problem with it. 2nd gear - now that's a pain.
That's funny it's the complete opposite with my car. 2nd gear is great but 3rd can be a pain in the ass. 2nd gear has never popped out and I don't think I've ever missed a 2nd gear shift@ WOT or otherwise. I don’t miss shifts into 3rd just driving normally but I would say about 2 out of 10 times it will hit what feels like a wall when shifting quickly into 3rd at WOT at around 5800rpms. The RMM helped some but doesn’t completely solve the problem.
ms3077 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #15

clos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

3rd will grind on stock mount. get a delrin trz mount, dont be pussy face. you should just buy a bunch of mods, have them delivered to a friends house, do a mod day and install everything, she'll never find out. unles you buy rims or something obvious
7-Inch Jensen Flip Out Touch Screen, HKS SSQ, MS CAI, Prosport Premium Amber/White Boost Gauge,2nd Cat Gutted, Delrin TRZ MM,16 inch FD rims,TWM shifter Bushings,COBB Turbo Inlet, 28psi, rebuilt stock block, custom rods and piston heads/gaskets, underdrive pulleys, big cams, big oil filter, stage4 clutch, stage4 DISI injectors, Fuel Pump, 4inch Catless TBE with screamer pipe, external wastegate spring modification,Methanol direct twin port duty cycle injection. Tuned by Nator Performance
clos561 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by clos561 View Post
3rd will grind on stock mount. get a delrin trz mount, dont be pussy face. you should just buy a bunch of mods, have them delivered to a friends house, do a mod day and install everything, she'll never find out. unles you buy rims or something obvious
My wife is an accountant by trade and also manages our finances. She is like a human forensic monitor on our checking account. My MS3, among other things ( my boat, fishing, baseball games, guns & shooting range, etc ) is just one of my many "hobbies" which seems to cost more money than my wife thinks is reasonable to spend. I think many of the married guys in here would agree that without the oversight of our spouses, we would be ordering everything we wanted. Besides...I've had my car for less than 2 months. I will get most of what I want done in the first 6-9 months. As long as I don't buy the new AR-15 that I really want.
llescaflownell (06-13-2010)
 Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #17

TRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,381 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 106 Times in 69 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i find that i grind more going into 5th than 3rd....3rd is automatic as the stick naturally goes to center when you push out of 2nd
TRex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #18

Stryker124 has much to be proud ofStryker124 has much to be proud ofStryker124 has much to be proud ofStryker124 has much to be proud ofStryker124 has much to be proud ofStryker124 has much to be proud ofStryker124 has much to be proud ofStryker124 has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by speedyD View Post
the rear motor mount helps with shifting! im suprised no one has said this yet. i had the ssp and it made shifting better because of the throws but it didnt get rid of the sloppy feeling. i put in a cp-e rmm 75duro and its like night and day. sure you can still miss and grind third, but you have to almost try to do it now or just not pay attention. that's what i would suggest.

What he said, its the only mod I've done so far, and it cleared the 3rd gear grinds right up.
Stryker124 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
Blue 2 shims

Nazarite is the leader of the worldNazarite is the leader of the worldNazarite is the leader of the worldNazarite is the leader of the worldNazarite is the leader of the worldNazarite is the leader of the worldNazarite is the leader of the worldNazarite is the leader of the worldNazarite is the leader of the worldNazarite is the leader of the worldNazarite is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,642 Times in 702 Posts
Groans: 66
Groaned at 30 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

3rd traditionally grinds the most. I did it a lot untill I "trained" myself to take 3rd differently. Got rmm, tranny mount, sts, bushings, pretty much anything that can help. And it does, but mainly just gotta get used to shifting in this car.
 Old 05-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #20

FridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the world
Groans: 9
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think Predapio's got some CS RMM Inserts in the for sale section for $25 shipped. Dirt cheap to just toss in there and see if that clears things up. I used to have this exact issue with 3rd gear on mine. The worse part was that it was usually when I was driving "enthusiastically." Clutch down to the floor, grind into 3rd. RMM and fine tuning when I slapped in the JBR SSP pretty much cleared it up for me. I've really been working it since the RMM and haven't had even a slight hint of this issue since.

Originally Posted by Dre View Post
if you get an sri, kiss your mpg goodbye cuz you're gonna be balls deep in that throttle whenever you get the chance..
FridayGt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FridayGt For This Useful Post:
Raysfan (05-28-2010)
 Old 05-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #21

JS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 98
Groaned at 72 Times in 51 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I do this too.. I think I just suck at shifting lol.

like 7 out of 10 times, I miss the 3rd gear.. I seriously need to stop being a lazy ass and install the cpe 75d rmm and jbarone busing which have been sitting in my trunk for the past 3 months. lol

:hide:
 Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #22

FridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the worldFridayGt is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JS + MS3 View Post
I do this too.. I think I just suck at shifting lol.

like 7 out of 10 times, I miss the 3rd gear.. I seriously need to stop being a lazy ass and install the cpe 75d rmm and jbarone busing which have been sitting in my trunk for the past 3 months. lol

First of all, how dare you.

Moving on, I definitely think you'll feel a massive improvement once you slap those things in. They're really easy installs too and if I can find time, you can find time!!! lol. If you're just new to the modding thing and run into issues, shoot me a PM and I'll talk you through it.

if you get an sri, kiss your mpg goodbye cuz you're gonna be balls deep in that throttle whenever you get the chance..
The Following User Says Thank You to FridayGt For This Useful Post:
liquoredonlife (05-13-2010)
 Old 05-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #23

JS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the worldJS + MS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm really going to install both of those this saturday morning! I'll shoot you a PM on saturday morning.. lol be ready!
 Old 05-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm really going to install both of those this saturday morning! I'll shoot you a PM on saturday morning.. lol be ready!
It's really not a problem man. What area of the world do you live in? Just make sure you have a breaker bar for the RMM.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #25

theschrum is the leader of the worldtheschrum is the leader of the worldtheschrum is the leader of the worldtheschrum is the leader of the worldtheschrum is the leader of the worldtheschrum is the leader of the worldtheschrum is the leader of the worldtheschrum is the leader of the worldtheschrum is the leader of the worldtheschrum is the leader of the worldtheschrum is the leader of the world
Groans: 29
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

BG Synchroshift will fix it. Worked wonders in my Nissan 3rd gear grind.
Buy it!
http://www.prostreetonline.com/x/bg-synchroshift.asp
theschrum is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

Orange County.

Ugh! I don't have a breaker bar! why do i need that? To retorque them? or to break loose the bolts?
 Old 05-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

Orange County.

Ugh! I don't have a breaker bar! why do i need that? To retorque them? or to break loose the bolts?
Both. They're cheap to pick up, I got one for $16 at Ace hardware. On that note, make sure you can get under your car too. Jack stands would be great, but you can work with what you've got if need be. I did it PhillyB style with two tire jacks on bricks in the middle of the street... lol

Old 05-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #28

reddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Orange County.

please dont 'torque' your RMM with a breaker bar. The vertical bolt needs to be torqued to 65 ft/lbs preferably with a little red locktite. the 3 bolts on the transmission bracket are 75 ft/lbs, and the horizontal bolt should have a torque spec from CP-E.
 Old 05-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #29

LizardKing is a splendid one to beholdLizardKing is a splendid one to beholdLizardKing is a splendid one to beholdLizardKing is a splendid one to beholdLizardKing is a splendid one to beholdLizardKing is a splendid one to beholdLizardKing is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Raysfan View Post
I am trying to space out my mods so my wife will not notice how much I am going to spend on my car. So I am getting the RMM and then the JB SSP.

My question is this. I keep grinding 3rd gear when I am really getting on the car. It seems like it's in ( thats what she said ) and then when I release the clutch and hit it...grrrrrrch. Will the SSP alleviate the 3rd gear grind? I have heard other people talk about the 2nd to 3rd transition as a PITA.

I just read the other post in here about the SSP after installation. I am still confused though. Are you saying that fine tuning the adjustments per the video will help with the 3rd gear problem.

Do this:
Transmission Cured

Then this:
*VIDEO* Fine Tuning your Shifter!

I was griding 3rd under hard acceleration. At first I thought i was missing but after a while i realized there must be something wrong with the syncros because I was 100% sure the clutch pedal was on the floor.

I changed to MT-90 because it was cheap and at the local store. The shifter adjust was just the icing on the cake. It it is shifting smooth into every gear now. I was able to reproduce the 3rd gear grind before and now it is 100% gone. I think we really need to change the tranny oil every 30k.

The oil change is easy. Make sure you have the proper tools before you start. There isn't much room near that drain bolt.

I am sure the RMM and the bushings help too.

Good luck.
LizardKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LizardKing For This Useful Post:
Base14 (05-26-2010), Slow*Jim (05-26-2010)
 Old 05-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #30

liquoredonlife has a reputation beyond reputeliquoredonlife has a reputation beyond reputeliquoredonlife has a reputation beyond reputeliquoredonlife has a reputation beyond reputeliquoredonlife has a reputation beyond reputeliquoredonlife has a reputation beyond reputeliquoredonlife has a reputation beyond reputeliquoredonlife has a reputation beyond reputeliquoredonlife has a reputation beyond reputeliquoredonlife has a reputation beyond reputeliquoredonlife has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

I seriously need to stop being a lazy ass and install the cpe 75d rmm and jbarone busing which have been sitting in my trunk for the past 3 months. lol

Christ, what an asshole. If I were your car I'd hit you too! You need a breaker bar if you have girly arms and can't loosen a bolt. Otherwise you can improvize with a socket wrench and stuff a metal tube onto for leverage. For fucks sake install that shit.
liquoredonlife is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

alright alright

just called up my friend and he said he has a tq wrench.. this saturday, i'll install them for sure! HA!
The Following User Says Thank You to JS + MS3 For This Useful Post:
reddeerspeed3 (05-13-2010)
 Old 05-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #32

indianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the world
Groans: 39
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You've had the RMM for 3 months?! Mine's coming in on Monday, and I'll be dying to get off work so I can run home and put it on. I can't wait to get rid of the clunking, loud bangs, and 3rd gear grinds. It's insane that Mazda would think the stock motor mount was sufficient.

Originally Posted by reddeerspeed3 View Post
please dont 'torque' your RMM with a breaker bar. The vertical bolt needs to be torqued to 65 ft/lbs preferably with a little red locktite. the 3 bolts on the transmission bracket are 75 ft/lbs, and the horizontal bolt should have a torque spec from CP-E.
Do you know for a fact that these are the torque specs? Are these in the service manual for the Gen1? I thought I saw somewhere that all of them were supposed to be 70 ft/lbs. But what is 5 ft/lbs going to do?
indianaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says NO Thank You to indianaryan For This Un-useful Post:
 Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by indianaryan View Post
Do you know for a fact that these are the torque specs? Are these in the service manual for the Gen1? I thought I saw somewhere that all of them were supposed to be 70 ft/lbs. But what is 5 ft/lbs going to do?
straight from the service manual pdf available in VIP. section 1-10B-31 for the TMM and PMM specs, 05-15B-10 for the RMM. the specs are usually given in a range, like (68.4 - 79.3 ft/lbs) and i prefer to go to the higher value.
 Old 05-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #34
Banned

Postulio4joo is the leader of the worldPostulio4joo is the leader of the worldPostulio4joo is the leader of the worldPostulio4joo is the leader of the worldPostulio4joo is the leader of the worldPostulio4joo is the leader of the worldPostulio4joo is the leader of the worldPostulio4joo is the leader of the worldPostulio4joo is the leader of the worldPostulio4joo is the leader of the worldPostulio4joo is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 14 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

WOW!!! here i was always thinking to myself i was hella fucking up my car because i always grind 3rd. Thanks to know its not only me
Postulio4joo is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #35

cheez is a name known to allcheez is a name known to allcheez is a name known to allcheez is a name known to allcheez is a name known to allcheez is a name known to all
Groans: 143
Groaned at 326 Times in 80 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Does the 3rd gear problem apply to 1st gen MS3? Are there any 2nd gen owners having the same problem? I do not have this problem with my 2nd gen at all, not even once did my gears grind nor pop-out. It's the best gear box I have experienced so far.
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #36

Slow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 30
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ms3077 View Post
That's funny it's the complete opposite with my car. 2nd gear is great but 3rd can be a pain in the ass. 2nd gear has never popped out and I don't think I've ever missed a 2nd gear shift@ WOT or otherwise. I don’t miss shifts into 3rd just driving normally but I would say about 2 out of 10 times it will hit what feels like a wall when shifting quickly into 3rd at WOT at around 5800rpms. The RMM helped some but doesn’t completely solve the problem.

Same here, try to rush the 2-3 upshift at all and it won't go. Gotta back off the throttle and slowly guide it into gear. Pissed me off when I got a 3rd gear grind on a brand new car - completely unacceptable IMO

My next new car won't be a Mazda
 Old 05-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #37

cheez is a name known to allcheez is a name known to allcheez is a name known to allcheez is a name known to allcheez is a name known to allcheez is a name known to all
Groans: 143
Groaned at 326 Times in 80 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Slow*Jim View Post
Same here, try to rush the 2-3 upshift at all and it won't go. Gotta back off the throttle and slowly guide it into gear. Pissed me off when I got a 3rd gear grind on a brand new car - completely unacceptable IMO
Maybe it's you, the driver error. There were times I made hard shifts (for maximum acceleration) and never had the 3rd gear grind. The 2nd gen MS3 gear synchro set and engineering must be a state-of-the-art. It is very weird, because not even once did it ever grind. It's 7 months old btw. Other manual cars I had owned in the past all went through grinds..

My next new car won't be a Mazda
Honda and Acura manuals are truly worse, unless you go NSX or S2000.
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says NO Thank You to cheez For This Un-useful Post:
 Old 05-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #38

Slow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond reputeSlow*Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 30
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Doubt it. I've been driving stick for 10 years, and I've logged more than 900 laps at Mid-Ohio in my 350z. I can drive the MS3 very smoothly when I want to, but when I get on it, 3rd gear is nearly impossible to get into without lifting off the throttle and letting the RPMs get back down to 2-3k.

I've owned 6 manual honda/acuras and 2 manual nissans (none of which were brand new), and most shifted better than my ms3.

I'll give the Redline fluid and RMM/SSP a shot. Used Redline in my 350z and it worked very nicely.
 Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #39

Speed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,653 Times in 795 Posts
Groans: 82
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by cheez View Post
Honda and Acura manuals are truly worse, unless you go NSX or S2000.
Really? My friend has a 2008 civic Si, and the transmission on that is pretty damn good. In fact, I'm pretty sure Honda/Acura makes some of the smoothest shifting transmissions on the market today... Although, to be fair, I've never driven an Acura manual, and the only Honda's I've driven are the s2000 and the civic si, you you could be completely right. It just doesn't make sense that honda would make good transmissions for one or two cars and have the rest be garbage...
Speed3eak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #40

indianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the world
Groans: 39
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That was a blanket statement that was based on nothing. The 2006 and 2007 Civic Si did have a 3rd gear issue, but it was taken care of with a TSB. Honda makes good transmissions. I had a Toyota Celica GTS and the synchros started to go bad, but I'm pretty sure that was because it had 100k on it and I drove the piss out of it.
indianaryan is offline   Reply With Quote